No wonder bike rentals are one of the most popular activities here at Palmetto Dunes! Come summer, you’d better have your bikes reserved early or you’ll be hard-pressed to find them available.
So if you’re planning to take a cruise around Palmetto Dunes or Hilton Head by bike, we’ve got some safety tips to make sure you have the best experience possible.
1) Wear a helmet – We shouldn’t have to tell you this, but we will anyway… just in case. Wear it flat on your head and buckled. If you don’t bring your own helmets with you, we have them available to rent.
2) Act like a vehicle on the road – According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), if you’re 10 and older you should ride in the same direction as traffic and follow all the same rules as a car.
3) Be considerate – If you’re bicycling on our paved paths, you’re likely to pass pedestrians. Ride slowly, walk your bicycle across a crosswalk and give pedestrians the right of way.
4) Make eye contact – When crossing streets or bicycling on the road, make eye contact with drivers to ensure they see you.
5) Use both hands – Ride with both hands on the handlebars except when signaling. No fancy tricks, please!
6) Check your equipment – Make sure your tires are properly inflated and that your brakes are functioning.
If you’ll be bicycling with kids, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers some great resources including videos, activities and a coloring sheet on their bicycle safety website. Happy two-wheeling!