It’s been a good year for this South Carolina beach resort! Palmetto Dunes not only received a number of high profile honors and accolades recognizing everything from our championship Hilton Head golf courses and tennis facilities to our family friendliness and outstanding staff, but we also started several new events that were a great success.
Here’s a quick look back at our star-studded 2013:
The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center was honored to host a number of high-profile state championships for the United States Tennis Association (USTA). In May, seniors from across South Carolina headed to Hilton Head to take home top honors in the USTA South Carolina 40 & Over Championships, formerly known as the Senior Championships. Then in October, we hosted the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult Championships. Our very own Jackie Reynecke, who helped coordinate these events, was also named the South Carolina League Volunteer of the Year for the USTA.
The Tennis Center was featured in the July issue of Tennis Magazine in a large spread about the resort and was recognized again by TennisResortsOnline.com as the No. 9 Top Tennis Resort in the world and No. 4 Top Junior Tennis programs in the world. Plus, the users of TripAdvisor named the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 attraction in Hilton Head.
Our golf courses are always wonderful to play with their varied attributes and amazing layouts, but they were especially regarded this year. The Arthur Hills golf course got a shout-out from Golf Digest magazine as a top Hilton Head course, in an article that also designated the island as a Best Buddies Trip Destination. PGA.com selected the famous oceanfront No. 10 hole at the Robert Trent Jones golf course a “South Carolina dream hole” and we couldn’t agree more!
We also launched a brand new golf app for the iPhone and Android, which now has thousands of users. Using your phone, you can check yardage information, book your tee time, set up leader boards and order food at our golf grilles so it’s hot and ready when you finish your round. Download it by searching for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on your favorite app store.
New Events at Shelter Cove Harbour
Several events made their debut at Shelter Cove Harbour this year to great acclaim. Taste on the Harbour kicked off in March. Due to the event’s success, we hosted the event again in October, offering featured menus, drink specials and tastings from Shelter Cove Harbour restaurants on select nights combined with live music from local island bands.
Additionally, Parrot Palooza joined our already very popular HarbourFest summertime event, which celebrated 25 years. Shannon Tanner and the Oyster Reefers, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band, entertained attendees on Friday evenings with island style music as they danced and sang the night away while the sun set over Broad Creek.
The finish off the year with a bang, Travel + Leisure magazine named Palmetto Dunes to its Top 25 World’s Best Family Getaways in its November issue. This made our resort the highest-ranking in South Carolina. The awards are based on a survey of the magazine’s readers. “Whether it’s reeling in a trophy redfish, learning how to properly swing a golf club or riding the waves on a surfboard, Palmetto Dunes has so much to offer families year round,” said Brad Marra, assistant vice president of resort operations for Palmetto Dunes.
What’s coming next year? More good things! Palmetto Dunes will be launching a brand new device-responsive website, using the latest online booking technology and designed for ease of use by our wonderful guests. For golfers, the Jones course will be adding new GPS-enabled touch screen systems for all golf carts, which offers course fly-overs, yardage, hole information and more. There’s so much more in store… you’ll just have to come visit us to see it all!
For more information about vacationing at Palmetto Dunes, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-744-7558 to get started booking your spring or summer Hilton Head getaway.
There are just certain things you MUST do on any vacation and of course, here on Hilton Head Island, we think there are a few items that should be on every visitor’s bucket list. Here is the Palmetto Dunes’ Hilton Head Bucket List for every island vacationer:
1) Get your picture taken at King Neptune Statue at Shelter Cove Harbour – This iconic statue at Shelter Cove Harbour, just across from the resort, is actually a sundial. But a pic with this guy is a favorite of vacationers, so add it to your list and post it on Facebook (while you’re there, post it on our Facebook, too)!
2) Eat at the Dunes House – Open only to resort guests and property owners, the Dunes House is a perk you can’t pass up. It’s a restaurant and bar situated right on the beach with delicious fish tacos and yummy frozen cocktails.
3) Catch a fish – Head out in our 11-mile inland lagoon with Captain Trent and see if you can catch a “big red” (reddrum or red fish). Kids, try for a flounder!
4) Get a beanie hat and have it signed by Shannon Tanner – If you visit during the summer, head over to HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour Monday-Thursday at 6:30 or 8 p.m. and catch the famous family performer Shannon Tanner. You must hear him sing “Your Hair Had a Party Last Night” and then you have to get your very own beanie hat (like his) and have him sign it with an inspirational message.
5) Eat the cinnamon rolls at the General Store – There’s no better way to start your morning in Hilton Head than with these sweet pastries from the Palmetto Dunes General Store. Ride your bike over and eat up! Just get plenty of napkins…
6) Try stand up paddleboarding – This is one of our most popular water sports that we offer at Hilton Head Outfitters, located inside the resort. Get lessons from our paddleboard instructor or let him take you out on a group tour of our lagoon. You’ll work your abs, burn lots of calories and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
7) Spot a dolphin – Keep your eye out when at the beach for our favorite friendly mammals. You’ll likely see their fins pop up out of the water. They also often swim up into inlets and tidal creeks, which may be a quieter place to find them during the busier months.
8) Try for a hole in one – Head to one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and see if you can hit a hole in one. You may improve your odds with a golf lesson from our super fun director of golf instruction Doug Weaver.
9) Try your hand at tennis – All guests of the resort enjoy two hours of free tennis court time daily with each night’s accommodation, so there’s no reason not to see if you and tennis are a “match.” We also offer tennis clinics and lessons every day, along with private instruction.
10) Take a nighttime beach walk – Grab a flashlight and take a moonlit beach walk. You’ll enjoy seeing another side of Hilton Head by night. Just keep watch for sea turtle nests, mamas or babies and stay out of their way. Light can disorient them so keep flashlights off if you spot them.
What’s on your Hilton Head bucket list? What did we miss? For more information about tennis, golf, accommodations or other activities, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Coming down to Hilton Head Island for spring break or the RBC Heritage tournament? We’ve got a fun outdoor concert series for all ages that Hilton Head vacationers and locals can enjoy every week on Thursday nights. Starting Thursday, April 4 through May 23, Music on the Harbour will host live entertainment on Thursdays at Shelter Cove Harbour.
Each Thursday from 6:00-9:00 p.m., a local band will perform an outdoor concert for free around the King Neptune statue. It’s a great opportunity to gather your family and friends and head over to Shelter Cove Harbour for dinner, live entertainment and lovely harbour views and sunsets.
Shelter Cove Harbour offers a range of delicious Hilton Head restaurants, ranging from Italian and Mexican to gourmet and seafood. The restaurants offer fabulous views of Broad Creek, and during Music on the Harbour, the sun will be setting for an even better view of the beautiful boats and marshes! Shelter Cove restaurants will be offering drink specials during the event as well, so hang around after dinner for a drink or two along the water.
Shelter Cove Harbour also offers plenty of shopping, ranging from art galleries and children’s apparel to souvenirs and jewelry. Shelter Cove Harbour is also home to Hilton Head Island’s largest deep water marina with 170 boat slips and charters for nature cruises, dolphin cruises, sport crabbing and fishing.
Here is the complete line-up for Music on the Harbour with each band performing from 6:00-9:00 p.m.:
Shelter Cove also hosted Music on the Harbour last fall to packed crowds. Take a look at this fun video of the fall concert series:
Music on the Harbour is just the start to a busy entertainment season at Shelter Cove Harbour. The annual HarbourFest kicks off with performances from our much beloved Shannon Tanner, celebrating his 25th year, May 24-26 with two shows at 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Shannon will perform Monday-Friday through Labor Day at Shelter Cove Harbour. Fireworks kick off Tuesday, June 18 at dusk and will continue on a Tuesday night schedule during the summer with a special show on Thursday, July 4.
Need help with your Hilton Head accommodations or want to golf, play tennis, rent bikes and more? Palmetto Dunes is your source for Hilton Head fun! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 and we’ll get you set with a Hilton Head vacation rental and all the activities you could imagine!
Shannon Tanner holds a special place in the hearts of all who’ve visited Palmetto Dunes, as well as Hilton Head locals and those strolling through Shelter Cove during the summer season. Although summer has come to a close, he’s keeping his musical act in motion by heading into the school systems with his “Wish to Be Just Who You Are Shannon Tanner School Tour.”
This anti-bullying campaign uses Shannon’s music to teach children important life lessons and the impact of bullying on kids. Shannon says the inspiration came from some of his own childhood memories, as well as the ever-growing number of cyber bullying reports.
Shannon has been performing at our HarbourFest event for 24 years and we hope his anti-bullying campaign shapes the lives of children for many years to come! Check out this amazing video below of Shannon performing at Roaring Brook School!