One of the top reasons folks venture down our way is for our amazing beaches that stretch along the Atlantic Ocean. On Hilton Head Island, you will find a total of 12 miles of beach, including 3 miles just within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort alone!
The island is actually just 5 miles wide and shaped like a foot, so it’s easy enough to get from one beach to another in a short span of time. Expect tide levels to change as much as 6-8 feet every six hours, so don’t leave your beach towels too close to the water when you go for a stroll.
Lots of organizations have lauded Hilton Head’s beaches, giving them top honors. USA Today named Hilton Head Island as one of the 10 best Carolina beaches, Parents Magazine selected us the No. 1 beach town in the U.S., and U.S. News & World Report showcased the island as No. 6 on its list of Top 10 Best Beaches for 2013.
The beaches of Hilton Head Island are the perfect spot to engage in a range of activities like biking, running, surfing, paddleboarding, skimboarding, swimming and so much more. Build the perfect sand castle, collect shells and discover amazing sea creatures, just be sure to put back any live ones and fill in your holes and level sandcastles at the end of the day for the safety of our Loggerhead Sea Turtles.
Within Palmetto Dunes’ 3 miles of beaches, you’ll find beautiful Hilton Head vacation homes and villas, as well as the oceanfront Dunes House, which is open to our guests and property owners. You can enjoy lunch, dinner or drinks at the outdoor restaurant, as well as live music during the summer months. At the Dunes House, you’ll also find the Hilton Head Outfitters kiosk where you can enroll in surf camp, rent beach chairs or paddleboards and lots more.
What’s your favorite thing about Hilton Head Island’s many beaches?
For more information about booking your Hilton Head vacation at Palmetto Dunes, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
Wondering how you can stay in shape during your Hilton Head Island vacation? It’s a breeze! Even if you take a break from your regular exercise video or weight lifting routine during your trip, you can still get in some great entire body workouts by simply enjoying the great outdoors around our island.
Here are 5 fantastic ways to stay fit on Hilton Head Island:
1) Run on the beach – Do you regularly run your neighborhood at home or perhaps a local park? On Hilton Head Island, we’ve got an even better view: the Atlantic Ocean! Head out in the morning before it heats up and keep your eye out for dolphins. You won’t even realize you’re out of breath!
2) Ride a bike – We offer Hilton Head bike rentals for your convenience if you’re flying to the area or don’t want to drive down with your own bike. Hilton Head Island offers 50 miles of paved bike paths – 5 miles within our resort that have just been redone -- for you to explore the beauty of the Lowcountry.
3) Stand up Paddleboarding – One of the fastest growing watersports, stand up paddleboarding, or SUP, is a great full body workout that requires lots of balance and core strength. Paddle the waves in the Atlantic or Shelter Cove’s Broad Creek and enjoy the scenery. Hilton Head Outfitters has these special boards for rent. You can even try yoga on a stand up paddleboard with classes offered by Outside Hilton Head.
4) Go surfing – If you don’t know how to surf, attend our 90-minute Surf Camp offered Monday through Friday during the summer to learn the basics. Then rent a board from Hilton Head Outfitters and hang 10!
5) Play tennis – Tennis is a great cardio workout and we offer guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through us two hours of free tennis court time daily. If that’s not quite enough of a workout for you, try our Hilton Head cardio tennis class for a real heart-pumping workout.
How do you stay fit while on vacation?
Planning to get your toes a little sandy this summer at the beach? Why not win a 4-day, 3 night fall or winter getaway to Palmetto Dunes on Hilton Head Island worth $1300 for it! We’ve come up with a fun contest to reward you for your sandy toes and all you need is a beach and a camera!
While you’re hanging out at the beach this summer – any beach – simply snap a pic of your toes in the sand. You know the popular picture taken of your toes while lying on the beach from the head looking down like the one below? That’s the one we’re looking for! Your creativity is welcomed!
Once you’ve captured your photo, simply upload it to your favorite social network, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram and use the hashtag #SandyToesSelfie. To enter on Facebook, please post the photo on our Facebook page using the hashtag, so we’ll be sure to see it.
You have from now through Labor Day to submit your photo, one per person please, as the contest ends September 3. We’ll randomly select a winner of our #SandyToesSelfie Contest on September 4 and announce on all of our social networks.
Your prize includes a 4-day, 3-night stay in a resort view villa within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort September through February, based on availability. Prize is valued at $1300.
RULES & RESTRICTIONS
So what are you waiting for? Get out on the beach and show us your sandy toes!
You just can’t head to the beach without a good book! We’ve picked some of the latest books from our favorite best-selling authors who either live in or write about the Lowcountry to give you the perfect beach read list for your visit to Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Hurricane Sisters: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank – A very popular writer and New York Times bestselling author, Dorothea Benton Frank tells another Lowcountry tale, this time focusing on three generations of women and the “hurricanes” in each of their lives.
2) The Stories We Tell by Patti Callahan Henry – In this southern tale to be released on June 24, Henry follows the drama of a fictional Savannah power couple and their family.
3) The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe – The latest from Mary Alice Monroe, and the second in the Lowcountry Summer Trilogy, “The Summer Wind” continues the heartwarming story of three half-sisters and their grandmother as they rediscover their Southern roots and family bonds.
4) The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd – Selected for Oprah’s Book Club, “The Invention of Wings” by “The Secret Life of Bees” author Sue Monk Kidd chronicles the life of an urban slave in 19th century Charleston and the daughter of the wealthy family for whom she serves as a waiting maid.
5) Return to Tradd Street by Karen White – Debuting on the New York Times bestsellers list at No. 6, “Return to Tradd Street” takes place in Charleston and offers an element of the paranormal. It tells of a new mother, who happens to be a psychic, and the mystery of a ghostly infant crying.
What book are you most looking forward to reading this summer?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head Island vacation to our 3 miles of beautiful beach, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
As we finally – and gratefully – wave goodbye to the weather we all experienced this winter, it’s time to welcome back to the fold our Dunes House restaurant, which is now open (weather permitting) for lunch and dinner for guests of the resort and Palmetto Dunes homeowners.
If you’ve never been to this classic establishment, it’s an absolute must-do when you stay with us here at Palmetto Dunes. Our favorite way to arrive at the Dunes House is by bike (get your Hilton Head bike rentals from our own Hilton Head Outfitters) fresh from a tennis match, a swim at the beach, a round of golf or a kayak through the lagoon. You can also catch the free Dunes Buggy shuttle during the summer months.
Head on in and grab a seat at one of our outdoor tables, all of which come with an oceanfront view, for a quick lunch or dinner until you’re off to your next resort activity. On the menu, you’ll find our specialty fish tacos, as well as peel ‘n eat shrimp, salads, hamburgers and hotdogs, sandwiches, wraps and more. Kids can choose from PB&J, mini cheeseburgers, grilled cheese or turkey sandwiches. The Dunes House also offers a range of drinks from beer and wine to sodas and frozen drinks.
Beginning April 1, live music will be back at the Dunes House on select evenings, including all Mondays and Wednesdays in April. Visit our monthly calendar to see when live music is scheduled.
Keep in mind the Dunes House is open weather permitting, so on those rare stormy days, head instead to Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza over at the Robert Trent Jones golf course. They also close occasionally for private events, like weddings. So be sure to check our website for the monthly calendar before you stop by for a visit.
Did you know you can always visit the Dunes House even though you’re not on Hilton Head Island? Just click on our Dunes House webcam to get your beach fix anytime!
We’re holding a table for you here at the Dunes House Hilton Head restaurant, so stop by and visit us next time you’re on the island. If we can help you with accommodations or other resort activities, just give us a call at 866-744-7558.
This Hilton Head vacation rental is in a prime location with easy access to the beach, along with views of both a pool AND our beautiful 11-mile inland lagoon system. You won’t have to look far to realize you’re on vacation here!
Newly-renovated in 2012, 165 Mooring Buoy is a four-bedroom, four-bathroom home that can accommodate up to 12 overnight guests, so it’s perfect for a large family, an extended family or two families traveling together.
Walk up the dual front staircases into a large living room with hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, skylights, brand new furniture and classic Lowcountry plantation shutters. You’ll also find a 50-inch flat screen TV for the few moments you won’t want to be outside!
Off the living area is a den with a sleeper sofa, as well as a fully-equipped kitchen with stainless appliances and hardwoods along with a breakfast area where you can seat four. Eight more people can sit around the dining room table, and don’t miss the wine bar and cooler also off the living room where you can chill your favorite vintage and enjoy a glass as you gaze out at the peaceful lagoon.
Of the four bedrooms, two are downstairs, one offering a new King Jamison bed and Jacuzzi tub in the adjoining bath and the other with two new twin Jamison beds with adjoining bath. Upstairs are the third and fourth bedrooms, each with an adjoining bath, one with a king bed and the other with a queen bed.
You’ll get to fully enjoy the Carolina sunshine with the amazing outdoor features of this Hilton Head vacation home. There is a large deck around the pool with a Webber gas grill for family gatherings. An outdoor table sits four while the rest of the crew can relax on the new lounge chairs. There’s also a washer/dryer to keep you in clean swimsuits and private parking to boot.
Remember, with all Hilton Head vacation homes booked through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each day of your stay. You also enjoy the best rates on all resort activities like our three championship golf courses, Hilton Head bike rentals, resort dining and more. Check out all of our amazing vacation packages or give us a call directly at 866-744-7558 and we’ll customize a stay just for your family.
Hope to see you at 165 Mooring Buoy soon!
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, it’s just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home – Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities – Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by booking Hilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.