Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Coming to visit us in Hilton Head for your summer vacation or a weekend getaway? Make sure you have your camera packed not only to snap pictures for future memories, but to snag yourself a Palmetto Dunes gift card.
Every week through the rest of the summer we’re going to reward our loyal guests with Palmetto Dunes gift cards when you share your vacation picture with us on our various social outlets, like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Here’s all you have to do:
Where to take your pic? Here’s a few of our favorite ideas to get you inspired:
Now, how can you use your gift card? Lots of ways! The gift card is accepted at any Palmetto Dunes-owned point of purchase locations. Note, it is not redeemable at the General Store. Here’s just a few of the ways you can splurge:
How would you use your gift certificate? Let us know and start thinking now of the perfect Palmetto Dunes shot!
The people of Hilton Head have worked hard to preserve the beautiful beaches and landscape and it’s apparent in the amount of wildlife that inhabit our Island. From the ocean to the lagoon to the marsh, there are amazing creatures that love Hilton Head as much as we do! Let us give you a sneak peek into some of the wildlife you could come across on your next vacation.
When you get off your plane or out of your car, look to the sky and you’re sure to see birds everywhere. From seagulls to the beautiful ibis, Hilton Head is full of winged friends. Shelter Cove Harbour and other piers will have brown pelicans waiting to glide above the water looking for a small fish dinner. While sun tanning or playing on the beach, you’re likely to see large birds like ospreys or even bald eagles.
Spot a Gator, But Leave Him Alone
One of the beset known reptiles on Hilton Head is the alligator. They mainly live within lagoon systems so we’ve seen quite a few here at Palmetto Dunes, but if you leave them alone, they won’t bother you. You might even see one lazing in the sun off the side of one of our golf courses.
A Rainbow of Fish
The lagoon is also full of large, beautiful fish, such as red fish, trout, bluefish, black drum, flounder and even tarpon. The smooth, calm waters of the lagoon system make fishing and crabbing excursions fun and successful at the same time.
The Friendly Dolphin
Head into the big water on one of our dolphin cruises to catch a glimpse of their majestic beauty. Many of our dolphins are very people friendly and may swim alongside the boat or come up to the boat for a bite to eat. We’ve even heard tales of dolphins coming right up to people in our marsh creeks. You could swim with dolphins without even planning it! But always remember, they are wild animals.
Turtles and More
During the spring and early summer, if you walk the beach at night you might see a loggerhead momma turtle waddling up to the dunes creating a nest for her babies. Hilton Head has laws to protect the little guys and to make sure they have a safe hatching season and can make it to the ocean.
There are plenty more animals on the Island, like deer, frogs, toads and plenty of crustaceans. So the next time you’re here, take a minute to look around you and enjoy all the wildlife surrounding you on our beautiful island.
From the golf course to where to eat and drink we’ve compiled tips and information from the staff at Palmetto Dunes to help you get the most out of your visit to our resort.
If you’ve never stayed with us before, feel free to ask us any questions you have by emailing email@example.com or you can “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and we’ll answer your questions there.
Do you have a great tip for visiting Palmetto Dunes?
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
If your kids are looking to try something new and exciting this summer then head down to Hilton Head Outfitters and sign up for our surf camp! The classes are 90 minutes long and available for all ages. Captain Byron Sewell gives private attention to all attendees and brings his radical experience to the class!
Captain Byron was born on Hilton Head Island and has been a competitive surfer for 12 years. He has 5 State Championship titles and has even won an East Coast Championship. When he’s not in Hilton Head helping your child catch a wave, you can find him either in Hawaii or in Costa Rica from November through May running a surfing adventure guide.
Every class starts with a 10-minute yoga stretch to get everyone loose and in the right frame of mind. All classes are full of laughter and he ends each session with a watermelon seed spitting contest! So get your children out there for fun in the surf so they can tell everyone they’ve been surfing in Hilton Head. Cowabunga dudes!