When you visit Hilton Head Island, one thing on your must-do list is ride your bike! The island offers more than 50 miles of paved bike paths, and just within Palmetto Dunes alone there are plenty of places to ride your bike from the beach and the Dunes House open to resort guests to the General Store and Shelter Cove Harbour.
Our very own Hilton Head Outfitters is our resource for all things bike related on the island. They offer Hilton Head bike rentals and bike equipment rentals and can help you navigate the many bike paths within the resort and beyond.
To make it even easier to rent your bikes in Hilton Head, we’ve created a new program that allows you to rent them right from your mobile phone! You can book your bike literally from anywhere whether you’re lying at the beach, playing a round of golf or eating dinner.
There are a variety of options for renting your bike via our mobile program. You can text BIKE to 843-627-0007 to get access to our mobile website; alternately, you can scan a QR code which will be posted on a sign at Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. Lastly, you can call us at 843-627-0007 or visit the mobile site directly at www.needabike.info. Be sure to bookmark it!
When you arrive at the mobile site, choose the dates you need your bikes and then review your bike choices, which include cruisers, kids’ bikes, fat tire sand bikes, tandems and more. From within the mobile program, you can also rent bike equipment, including helmets, baskets, kiddie carts and tag-a-longs.
Simply make your selections, enter your contact and payment information and your bike will be delivered directly to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home on the date requested and picked up on the date of return.
The mobile program also provides Hilton Head bike route maps that you can access while on your bike of both the island bike trails and lagoon bike trails.
We hope you like our new Need a Bike mobile booking option. Try it and let us know what you think!
With the holidays complete and much of the country engulfed in winter weather galore, many people are starting to plan their spring or summer South Carolina beach vacation. This is a good thing :)! When you book early, you get the worm!
We’ve got 5 reasons why you should book your beach vacation early to make sure you get the most out of your Hilton Head trip:
1) Savings! The first ( and best!) reason to book early is because you will save money. Who could argue with that?! Right now, Palmetto Dunes is offering 20% off Hilton Head vacation homes or villas plus FREE bikes for stays through 3/15/13. If you’re coming in summer, get 10% off all Hilton Head vacation rentals for stays 3/15-9/1/13, as well as free tennis! When you book your Hilton Head golf tee time in advance, you can save up to HALF off our regular resort rate. Those savings won’t last forever!
2) Take your pick – When you plan ahead of time, you get YOUR pick of Hilton Head vacation homes and Hilton Head golf tee times, as well as for activities such as dolphin cruises, charters, golf and tennis lessons and more.
3) Confirm your reservations – During our peak periods like spring break and the summer months, we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals and our most popular tee times and cruise times. By booking now, you can ensure you’ve got all the activities confirmed that your family would like to do ideally at the times you want to do them.
4) Time to plan – Want to take a day trip to Daufuskie Island or down to Savannah, planning to meet your friends from across the country for dinner, not sure whether to drive or fly? Planning now lets you take your time working out all the fine details, lets you research the most cost-saving options and ensures you’ve thoroughly looked into all the options and picked the right ones for your group.
5) Time to dream! – Of course, a big benefit of booking early is plenty of time to dream about your Hilton Head vacation. Snow piling outside the window? No worries! You’ll be in Hilton Head this spring or summer and it will all melt away. If winter’s really got you down, take a look at our webcams to give you a little pep in your step. Your vacation will be here before you know it!
Can we help you plan your spring or summer Hilton Head vacation? Call us today at 866-744-7558 and we’ll make sure you start the planning process early, get the best Hilton Head vacation villa for your needs, reserve plenty of bikes and get in all the activities your family wants to do at the time you want to do them. See you soon!
It’s New Year’s so we’re guessing you’ve probably made a few new year’s resolutions for 2013. Health is always at the top of the resolution list so we wanted to encourage you to come on down to Hilton Head and get healthy with a beautiful view!
Here are 5 healthy activities you can do at Palmetto Dunes to support those new year’s resolutions so they don’t get left in the dust:
1) Walk the golf course – We offer three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, each unique and challenging in its own way. When you play one of our courses, instead of opting for the cart, why not walk the course? You’ll burn some extra calories, do your heart some good and more thoroughly enjoy your beautiful surroundings. It might even give you some more quality time with your golfing buddies!
2) Bike the resort – There are many paved paths throughout Palmetto Dunes, and the streets within the resort are also bike friendly. Everyone knows a good bike ride is a great workout, plus you’re more apt to forget you’re exercising as you take in the lovely views at every turn. Instead of driving to Shelter Cove Harbour to shop or dine, why not hop on a bike using our special passageway that lets you avoid crossing Highway 278? We offer Hilton Head bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters for everyone in the family.
3) Try a Zike Bike! Sure, biking is great on its own, but using this unique bike, you’ll get even more of a workout. The Zike Bike is designed as a cross between a bike and an elliptical machine. You use the elliptical movement to power the bike and work your body even harder. Visit Hilton Head Outfitters to try one or rent one on your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Fall in “love” with tennis – When you book a Hilton Head vacation home or Hilton Head vacation villa with Palmetto Dunes, you get two free hours of tennis daily. Be sure to take advantage of that court time to get in a great tennis workout. If you’d like a little more structure, head over to our Hilton Head tennis academy for a variety of lessons, clinics and even a Cardio Tennis class.
5) Paddleboard our lagoon – Pick a sunny winter afternoon and head out on our 11-mile inland lagoon to try the fastest growing watersport, paddleboarding. When paddleboarding, you stand on a board similar to a surf board and use a paddle to navigate your way through the lagoon. The balance and core work required is like no other! Expect washboard abs if you do this sport regularly :).
What’s your favorite way to be healthy at Palmetto Dunes? Please share with us your new year’s resolutions and we’ll suggest some ways we can support them here at the beach. If we can help you plan activities or a vacation to our beautiful resort, please give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy New Year’s!
Lots of families who visit Palmetto Dunes each summer love to learn how to surf in Hilton Head and the experience would not be the same without our fun and colorful surf instructors.
In this week’s blog, we want to introduce you to Logan Cambron, our surf instructor. Get to know him a little better and come take a surf lesson from Capt Logan!
What is your job title and what are your responsibilities?
“I’m in charge of the surf program, but I also do kayaks and bikes. I have my captain’s license, so I’m going to be piloting some of the lagoon boats.”
What is the best part of your job?
“Just the look on [my campers’] faces when they stand all the way up during a surf lesson. I also love getting paid to work on the beach.”
How did you wind up at Palmetto Dunes?
“I grew up on Hilton Head Island. I know there aren‘t many of us who can say that. As for Palmetto Dunes, I had worked at the General Store... Altogether, I’ve been here eight or nine years.”
What is the best thing about Hilton Head that most tourists don't know?
“The natural beauty that we’ve kept unspoiled. You have to see it to believe it.”
What's your favorite spot on the island?
“The Dunes House. That’s where I’ve always gone to surf. The surfing is better in the morning before everyone gets out there and it gets windy.”
What are the two most-played songs on your iPod?
“Well, I don’t have an iPod, but if I did, I’d play ‘409’ by The Beach Boys and ‘Hey, Ya,’ by OutKast.
Have you surfed with Capt Logan? Share your experience with us!
How cool would it be to tell friends and family you learned to surf while on your summer Hilton Head vacation? Maybe even throw around a little lingo, “The waves were waist to head high and glassy.”
The experts at Hilton Head Outfitters at Palmetto Dunes will teach you everything you need to know during a week-long Surf School, from how to paddle and pop-up, to picking the right wave and finding your balance while riding a frothy white wave into shore.
With an emphasis on safety and the basic fundamentals, Hilton Head Outfitters’ surf school is held throughout the summer. The Hilton Head surfing school specializes in teaching kids to surf, but the camp is open to all ages. Entire families have even signed up!
Each day, you’ll spend one and a half hours on the beach in a small group session ($80 p/p). You also can choose from a private lesson for one-on-one instruction ($125 p/p). The staff will help you choose between 7-foot and 9-foot soft-top boards, which are better for learning than a hard fiber glass board.
While on the sand, instructors like Captain Logan will help you learn the basics of paddling out and popping up on the board. They’ll show you the perfect positioning for your feet and work on your balance.
When you’re ready to hit the waves, rest assured, the camp is held in shallow water, which is perfect for youngsters. Wipeouts are totally part of the experience, but when you get in the zone and ride in that first wave, it will be an experience you’ll never forget … and a story you’ll probably tell for ages. Recent surf campers have even been doing headstands on paddleboards and riding tandem together!
Registration is required, but you just need to call (866) 650-4132 to reserve your spots. Need a little more information and inspiration? Watch this fun video below about the camp. You’ll be ready to hang 10 for sure!
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
If your kids are looking to try something new and exciting this summer then head down to Hilton Head Outfitters and sign up for our surf camp! The classes are 90 minutes long and available for all ages. Captain Byron Sewell gives private attention to all attendees and brings his radical experience to the class!
Captain Byron was born on Hilton Head Island and has been a competitive surfer for 12 years. He has 5 State Championship titles and has even won an East Coast Championship. When he’s not in Hilton Head helping your child catch a wave, you can find him either in Hawaii or in Costa Rica from November through May running a surfing adventure guide.
Every class starts with a 10-minute yoga stretch to get everyone loose and in the right frame of mind. All classes are full of laughter and he ends each session with a watermelon seed spitting contest! So get your children out there for fun in the surf so they can tell everyone they’ve been surfing in Hilton Head. Cowabunga dudes!