Let us help you with your holiday gift list this year with unique items from stores around Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Whether you’ve got a golfer, a tennis player, an outdoorsman or an ocean-lover on your holiday list, we’ve got the gift for them! Here are some of our top gift picks for 2013:
Golf Pro Shops
The golfer on your list will love this item from our Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop! The new Garmin Approach S4 GPS golf watch ($349.99) is the perfect idea for the golfer who has everything. This stylish, yet lightweight and comfortable watch uses hi-res touch screen technology and comes with a GPS receiver for precise yardage to the front, middle and back of the greens, plus layup and dogleg distances. There’s even a smart notification feature that lets you receive emails, texts and alerts from your iPhone (iPhone 4s and above models). The battery lasts up to 10 hours in GPS golf mode. Now, that’s a watch!
Be sure to use it while playing one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses: the Robert Trent Jones golf course, the Arthur Hills golf course or the George Fazio golf course.
Tennis Pro Shop
At the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center pro shop, we can’t resist the cute Spin Winz! It’s a plastic circle that attaches to the end of your racquet to help decide who serves first when the racquet is spun. Instead of the boring “M or W” or “P or D,” your options include “Trophy or Wife,” “Social or Butterfly” and “Diamonds or Pearls” as examples.
For men, we have a variety of logo shirts, great deals on Prince tennis racquets and shoes from Asics, Adidas and K-Swiss. For women, we have Life is Tennis bags in both Tote and Sling styles in a variety of colorful patterns, and LBH tops in sleeveless and long sleeve in a rainbow of colors.
Hilton Head Outfitters
Grab a new Hilton Head hoodie or Hilton Head Outfitters long-sleeve T. These are great for cooler days and to remind you of your last vacation or upcoming vacation to the island. They are available in a variety of colors, including green, pink and blue.
The Ship’s Store at Shelter Cove Marina
Wouldn’t your loved one look great in a new pair of Costas? Or how about a new pair of Sperry Topsiders? The Ship’s Store offers a broad selection of Costa del Mar sunglasses, and when you buy any pair you get a $20 resort gift card (consider that a gift to youself!). The Ship’s Store has the largest selection of Sperry Topsider shoes on the island with more than 50 styles to choose from. They also carry Guy Harvey shirts, Sanuk sandals, Columbia Sportswear and Tervis tumblers.
The Palmetto Dunes General Store
While it would be nice if you could send your loved one a batch of cinnamon rolls freshly baked from the store, that may not be practical J. Instead choose from the General Store’s selection of coffee mugs, long sleeve T-shirts and sweatshirts. They also have some cute beach-themed ornaments, including Santa Claus with an alligator, a sea turtle and by a palm tree, as well as dolphins, sailboats and more.
Palmetto Dunes Gift Card
Not sure what to get the Hilton Head Island fans in your life? No worries! Just get them a Palmetto Dunes gift card redeemable at point of sale locations around the resort. These include Hilton Head accommodations, golf rounds and lessons, tennis court time and lessons, golf and tennis pro shops, Hilton Head Outfitters, the Ship’s Store at Shelter Cove Marina, Big Jim’s restaurant, the golf grilles and the Dunes House. The cards are now available with free shipping and overnight options … just in case you wait till the last minute.
Come visit our Hilton Head stores this holiday season and choose the perfect gift for the people on your list. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 if you’d like us to ship an item to you. Happy shopping!
Sure, a week is a great vacation to Hilton Head but a month is even better. Not that you needed any more reasons to visit us, but we’ve listed 5 of our top reasons to extend your stay at Palmetto Dunes to at least a month:
1) Play unlimited golf! What’s better than a round of golf? Unlimited rounds of golf! With our Monthly Golf Membership, you can play all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses as much as you want for an entire month. Choose between our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course, the Arthur Hills course or the George Fazio course.
2) Ride your bike on all 50 miles of paved island paths. Did you know you could pedal 50 miles across our island? Spend more than a week and see if you can master it all! With monthly Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, you’ll be set with any kind of bike you like, including their new comfort bike, cruisers, kids bikes and more.
3) Get to “love” tennis, if you don’t already. When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The longer you stay, the more tennis you can play!
4) Kayak to your heart’s content! Palmetto Dunes is home to a beautiful and peaceful 11-mile saltwater inland lagoon system that winds throughout the resort and our golf courses. Get weekly kayak or canoe rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters to enjoy the peaceful beauty of the lagoon, or if you plan to stay several months, consider the affordable yearly membership. See how many birds you can spot in the lagoon during your stay and watch for other wildlife, as well, like a friendly otter who likes to splash around our lagoon.
5) Try lots of Hilton Head restaurants. Here on the island we offer wonderful dining from ethic foods to fresh seafood to gourmet meals with beautiful views. Some suggestions include Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones Clubhouse, the beachfront Dunes House (open seasonally to resort guests and property owners), Ela’s Blu Water Grille with harbour views at Shelter Cove Harbour and San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, also at Shelter Cove.
If you want to do ALL these things on your visit to Palmetto Dunes, consider our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership. It gets you a 30-night stay in a Hilton Head resort villa, 30 days of unlimited golf and bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time daily, plus plenty of time to walk on the beach.
For more information about any of these memberships or packages, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Amateur golfers from across the United States will converge on Hilton Head Island this weekend for the Golfweek Amateur Tour National Championship.
Beginning Friday, October 18 and continuing through Sunday, October 20, more than 800 golfers will hit the greens at nine different Hilton Head golf courses, including our own Robert Trent Jones course and Arthur Hills golf course, trying to take top honors.
This is the eighth year the tournament has been held in Hilton Head, and organizers say it’s set to become the largest competitive stroke-play event ever held on the island.
The field for this national championship is drawn for golfers at more than 700 qualifying tournaments in 30 states across the U.S. The best from each of five flights are then selected to compete in the nationals. Winners of the flights receive more than $19,500 in gift certificates.
"We expect another competitive tournament throughout all five flights. Golfers are grinding throughout the season to earn enough points to qualify for the National Championship," says Tour President Dennis McCormac. “The National Championship is a big event both for our tour members and their families. It's really evolved into a family event over the last decade with more and more spectators coming out each year to show their support for these dedicated players.”
Golfers will be playing at both of our courses all weekend and you can check out the Robert Trent Jones webcam to watch them tee off starting at 8:30 a.m. each day.
We welcome all the golfers and their families to Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort! Be sure to take advantage of our many other activities, including tennis, bike rentals, kayaking, fishing and more. For more information on activities and accommodations, call us at 866-744-7558.
95-year-old Leo Luken, a longtime player at the Hilton Head golf courses at Palmetto Dunes, where he lives, recently reached that feat for an incredible 1000th time. On Tuesday, September 24, Luken shot 47-45 for 92 at the George Fazio golf course.
Leo’s golf career, which didn’t begin until he was 45, first shot his age at 71. Luken participated in the Shoot Your Age Championship in Florida 2005, which aired nationally on CBS, shooting his age for the 530th time and bettering his age by six shots. He ended up winning the tournament, besting even Arnold Palmer. He’s been going at it ever since and we are proud that he completed his goal right here on Hilton Head Island.
Read more about Leo Luken’s special accomplishment that has been receiving a great amount of national and local golf coverage:
USA Today: A 95-year-old golfer shoots his age or better for 1000th time
Golf Channel Morning Drive: Morning Drive Leo Luken
Golf Channel: Man shoots age or better for 1000th time
“The Golf Fix” on Golf Channel: Golf Fix Leo Luken
The Golf Wire: Leo Luken Story
Golf Center on WHHI Sports: Leo Luken Interview
Interested in trying to follow in Leo’s footsteps or just playing our three championship courses? Submit a quick golf quote and we will follow up with you on a great golf package or go ahead and book online and take advantage of our online book-in-advance tee time special!
If you’ve ever played our Hilton Head golf courses, then you know just how gorgeous they are with their lush greens, live oaks around every corner and even views of the Atlantic on the Robert Trent Jones course. But have you ever seen our courses from above? We doubt it!
We’ve created new 3-D animated “flyovers” of each of our South Carolina golf courses to give you a bird’s eye view before you hit the greens. Simply go to the individual web page for each course listed below and click on the link to view the flyover.
Once you’re on the flyover, choose which hole you’ve like to soar above and get ready to fly! Each view shows you par for the hole, as well as the distance from each of the tees. Pause at any point to take a more detailed look.
Watching these flyovers is helpful for golfers, because it shows you all in one glance the obstacles you’ll face at each hole and allows you to formulate a plan of how to get there.
Don’t forget to check out our Hilton Head webcam at the Robert Trent Jones course, as well, to see real-time, on-the-ground action at the golf course. Both of these options are great ways to be “on the course” even when you’re stuck at your desk.
Be sure to browse some of our amazing fall golf packages that let you play golf at all three of our championship courses, improve your game at our Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy and enjoy other activities like fishing and biking.
Let us know what you think of the new flyovers and we hope to see you teeing off soon!
Shooting your age is a coveted accomplishment for any golfer, because it not only means you’ve lived a relatively long life, but that you’re still a pretty good golfer. Leo Luken, 95, a longtime player at the Hilton Head golf courses at Palmetto Dunes, where he lives, recently reached that feat for an incredible 1000th time. On Tuesday, September 24, Luken shot 47-45 for 92 at the George Fazio golf course.
Luken didn’t start playing golf until the age of 45 and shot his age for the first time at 71. He plays golf several times a week and usually shoots his age – or better – two out of three rounds. Formerly a pitcher for the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Zollner Pistons, he holds a spot in the Kentucky and Indiana sports halls of fame.
Luken participated in the Shoot Your Age Championship in Florida 2005, which aired nationally on CBS, shooting his age for the 530th time and bettering his age by six shots. He ended up winning the tournament, besting even Arnold Palmer.
“Yeah, [one of the players] thought I was lying,” says Luken. “Before we teed off the first day down at the championship, he was walking around introducing himself and asking guys how many times they’d shot their age. One guy said 12, and another said 30. When he got to me, I said, ‘529,’ which was the number at that time. [He] threw up arms and said, ‘Get outta here.’ The next day I made it 530 and won the tournament.”
Have you ever shot your age? Do you think you could do it 1000 times? Here’s hoping you can, just like Leo Luken!
If you want to give it a shot, our 30-day Hilton Head golf membership is a good place to start. It gives you plenty of chances to hit the mark!
Summer is coming to a close, but that’s no reason to deny your buddies more rounds of golf! Text them now and make plans for long weekend to Hilton Head Island for golf, football, fishing and good times. We’ve got 5 good reasons why:
1) The weather is usually awesome! Average highs on Hilton Head Island in September and October range from the mid 70’s to the mid 80’s. While we can’t promise sunny skies every day, they are the norm during the autumn season. Just think… no sweat, and a nice ocean breeze!
2) Get a FREE round when you book by September 15 – Book a group of 12 or more and stay a minimum 3 nights and get a fourth round of golf FREE, plus free replays as available! More golf is never a bad thing… Here are the details.
3) Get three varied experiences – Here at Palmetto Dunes, a top South Carolina golf resort, we offer three different championship golf courses with varied challenges, views and experiences.
4) Play golf by the ocean – Our Robert Trent Jones golf course is one of only two Hilton Head golf courses with oceanfront holes. Tackle our famed par-5 10th hole right on the Atlantic and see if you can beat the ocean breeze to come under par. If you don’t, the view will make up for it!
5) Tell everyone you rode on a Segway – Make golfing with the guys even more fun by ditching the golf cart and hopping on a Segway. Enjoy a laugh as your friends – and you – learn how to balance this amazing piece of technology.
There, did we convince you?! Submit your request for a quote right here or call us directly at 866-744-7558. Let the competition begin!
Hilton Head is often a popular vacation site for celebrities from the Clintons to John Mellencamp to Paula Abdul, but the celebrity sightings will ramp up this fall at the annual Hilton Head Island Celebrity Golf Tournament August 30-September 1.
This yearly event pairs amateur golfers with celebrities to raise funds for local children’s nonprofit organizations. For the past 30 years, Greenwood Resorts and Communities has played an active role in the success of the tournament, and one of the highlighted Hilton Head golf courses has been our own oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course.
Participating in the Hilton Head golf tournament this year are a host of celebrities, including:
And the list goes on… To see the complete list of celebrity participants, visit the tournament website.
The Robert Trent Jones course is the first stop for the three-day tournament. Opening ceremonies begin August 30 at 8:45 a.m. with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. On day 2, players will head to the Arnold Palmer Signature Course at Wexford Plantation and on day 3, Harbour Town Golf Links.
On September 1, there will also be a special kids’ event from 1-3 p.m. with putting contests and prizes, as well as T-shirts and golf balls for the first 100 children.
Nothing planned for Labor Day? Take an end-of-summer break to Hilton Head Island and enjoy this classic Hilton Head Island golf tournament. For information about accommodations or other Hilton Head activities at the resort like tennis, kayaking, fishing and more, visit www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
When it comes to the PGA Championship this weekend at Oak Hill, all eyes may be on Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, but there’s something special that happened at this same course 14 years ago that left our own Director of Golf Instruction Doug Weaver with a record-setting moment in history.
Weaver, then 29, was one of four players at the 1989 US Open at Oak Hill Country Club in Rochester, N.Y., to hit a hole-in-one in less than two hours, a record for a PGA event. He was the first to hit the ace. It happened on the 156-yard sixth hole where Weaver used a 7-iron to make the shot. The ball went into a ridge to the right of the cup and then rolled back into the cup for the famous shot.
“The decibel level in the grandstand went up and up and up,” said Weaver at the time in the New York Times, and, he said, when the ball disappeared into the cup, “it sounded like a clap of lightning.”
Three subsequent players made a hole-in-one on the very same hole and using the same 7-iron club after Weaver. “The best part for me was that I was on the 12th tee, less than 100 yards from the sixth green when Mark got his hole-in-one,” Weaver said. “I was in the middle of the 13th fairway when I heard the roar for Jerry, and I was on the 14th hole when I heard the roar for Nick’s. I was able to relive it every time.”
According to the New York Times, the odds of such an event happening all on the same day are 332,000 to 1. Even for a professional to hit a hole-in-one on the PGA tour in any given round is calculated at 3,708 to 1.
Weaver has been featured in articles and several media outlets across the country as we head into the PGA Championship at the same New York course this weekend. Mentions of Weaver’s famous shot have run in the New York Times, Chicago Times, been discussed on the Golf Channel and more.
Should you hope for a hole-in-one at this year’s Championship? We’re not betting on it. The sixth hole has been changed since then and the slope softened. Of course maybe if Doug Weaver was there…
If you would like to take a lesson or clinic from our very own PGA pro, Weaver himself, give us a call at 866-744-7558. He offers instructional programs every day of the week at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy for players of every skill level.
Golfers know there’s nothing that takes the fun out of golf faster than a slow pace of play from the group ahead of you (OK, maybe a bad game might be a bummer, too!). Here at our Hilton Head golf courses at Palmetto Dunes, we strive to create a positive pace of play environment for all golfers!
When you play golf at the Arthur Hills, Robert Trent Jones or George Fazio courses, you’ll find a standard pace of play to be about four to five hours for 18 holes. Many of our groups finish faster than that, however.
If you have particular needs or desire a faster or slower pace, check with our vacation planners when you book your tee time to find a time of day that may be more likely to facilitate your request. Some times of day and days of the week are naturally less busy and may allow your group to play through more quickly or slowly.
A lot goes into pace of play and we aim to make all the components come together for the best possible experience. When you come to play golf, one of our “Starters” will make sure you get going at your set tee time and guide you on our pace of play guidelines. Then, we place “Rangers” on the course to make sure everyone is moving at an appropriate speed. All of our staff work to monitor the current pace and keep it moving. All groups are expected to “keep pace.”
Want to enjoy a group golf adventure? Submit a request for a customized quote here. Also, remember we offer discounts when you play multiple rounds. Check out our multi-round Hilton Head golf specials. You can also book your tee time online or by calling us at 866-744-7558.
How do you make sure your golf group stays “on pace”?
We hope you have a great round of golf here at Palmetto Dunes!
We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes and we like to keep them busy with our many kid-friendly activities like surfing, tennis, kayaking, swimming and fishing. But golf is especially near and dear to our heart since we have three amazing and varied Hilton Head golf courses all inside our beautiful resort.
PGA America and the National Golf Course Owners’ Association have declared July Family Golf Month in an effort to promote golf as a fun, family recreational activity that lets you spend uninterrupted quality time together.
"Getting the family together for a round of golf, whether it’s nine or 18 holes, is a great outdoor activity that gives parents the opportunity to have uninterrupted conversations and quality time with their children," says PGA of America President Ted Bishop. "It's also a great way for the entire family to enjoy golf's health and wellness benefits while creating memories for a lifetime."
So how can your family enjoy golf at our South Carolina golf resort? Ah, let us count the ways!
Family Golf School
We offer three-day, two-hour private golf lessons designed specifically for your family at our Hilton Head Family Golf School. We’ll meet everyone at exactly their skill level and help them improve their game. We love this video showing a mom and her daughters during their Family Golf School lesson!
Kids Play Free
To encourage our golfers to teach the game to their kids, we let kids play free at the Robert Trent Jones Hilton Head golf course and the Arthur Hills golf course after 4 p.m. with an adult paying regular rate. This is a great opportunity to expose your kids to the game and enjoy some one-on-one time with each other!
We’ve also installed permanent junior tees on our Robert Trent Jones golf course, and the George Fazio course caters to juniors with markings of 150 yards or less. This makes it easier and more fun for junior golfers!
Junior Golf Lessons
We also have a variety of Hilton Head golf lessons for juniors, including our Little Swingers program designed for ages 3-7. Director of Instruction Doug Weaver teaches the game of golf while singing songs with the kids.
Our Junior Golf Clinics for ages 6-18 focus on golf fundamentals like golf shots, etiquette and rules. Weaver covers three different shots every day, and four-time attendees are rewarded with a Junior Golf School Manual.
Lastly, if you have a junior gofer who’s top of the class, enroll him or her in the Advanced Juniors Classes for ages 8-18. These kids get to play with a pro and get instruction as they go!
Make your love of golf a family affair at Palmetto Dunes! To sign up for any of the above golf lessons, schools or clinics or for any questions, please call us at 866-744-7558.
There are just certain things you MUST do on any vacation and of course, here on Hilton Head Island, we think there are a few items that should be on every visitor’s bucket list. Here is the Palmetto Dunes’ Hilton Head Bucket List for every island vacationer:
1) Get your picture taken at King Neptune Statue at Shelter Cove Harbour – This iconic statue at Shelter Cove Harbour, just across from the resort, is actually a sundial. But a pic with this guy is a favorite of vacationers, so add it to your list and post it on Facebook (while you’re there, post it on our Facebook, too)!
2) Eat at the Dunes House – Open only to resort guests and property owners, the Dunes House is a perk you can’t pass up. It’s a restaurant and bar situated right on the beach with delicious fish tacos and yummy frozen cocktails.
3) Catch a fish – Head out in our 11-mile inland lagoon with Captain Trent and see if you can catch a “big red” (reddrum or red fish). Kids, try for a flounder!
4) Get a beanie hat and have it signed by Shannon Tanner – If you visit during the summer, head over to HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour Monday-Thursday at 6:30 or 8 p.m. and catch the famous family performer Shannon Tanner. You must hear him sing “Your Hair Had a Party Last Night” and then you have to get your very own beanie hat (like his) and have him sign it with an inspirational message.
5) Eat the cinnamon rolls at the General Store – There’s no better way to start your morning in Hilton Head than with these sweet pastries from the Palmetto Dunes General Store. Ride your bike over and eat up! Just get plenty of napkins…
6) Try stand up paddleboarding – This is one of our most popular water sports that we offer at Hilton Head Outfitters, located inside the resort. Get lessons from our paddleboard instructor or let him take you out on a group tour of our lagoon. You’ll work your abs, burn lots of calories and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
7) Spot a dolphin – Keep your eye out when at the beach for our favorite friendly mammals. You’ll likely see their fins pop up out of the water. They also often swim up into inlets and tidal creeks, which may be a quieter place to find them during the busier months.
8) Try for a hole in one – Head to one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and see if you can hit a hole in one. You may improve your odds with a golf lesson from our super fun director of golf instruction Doug Weaver.
9) Try your hand at tennis – All guests of the resort enjoy two hours of free tennis court time daily with each night’s accommodation, so there’s no reason not to see if you and tennis are a “match.” We also offer tennis clinics and lessons every day, along with private instruction.
10) Take a nighttime beach walk – Grab a flashlight and take a moonlit beach walk. You’ll enjoy seeing another side of Hilton Head by night. Just keep watch for sea turtle nests, mamas or babies and stay out of their way. Light can disorient them so keep flashlights off if you spot them.
What’s on your Hilton Head bucket list? What did we miss? For more information about tennis, golf, accommodations or other activities, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Looking to better your golf game this summer? We’ve got some tips from our very own Hilton Head golf pro and director of golf instruction Doug Weaver. From putting to your swing, he’s got some golf tips to make your summer of golf even better!
1) Sidehill lies are common and are rarely practiced. Here are some easy tips to remember: find a point in between your toes and heels where your balance feels like it is under your shoestrings, take multiple practice swings to allow your body to adjust to the feeling of that particular shot and ask your playing partner to watch where your ball goes so you can focus on making solid impact.
2) Improve your chip! Measure the distance between the shaft back to the face with your finger. This tells you the loft. Then, if you want to see what the loft will do for you, lay the pitching wedge down on the ground and step on the head. This will tell you the trajectory. Now, place the ball in the middle, lean on your left foot and use your putting stroke. Remember; let the club do the work!
3) When putting, use your shoulders, or big muscles, to allow your little muscles, or your hands, to stay soft. The result is a naturally smooth, unhurried and consistent putt. It's easy to work against yourself by guiding the club instead of letting it do the work for you.
4) Swing the golf club like you are swinging a baseball bat on your slice. The traditional batting stroke allows the forearms to rotate in both the backswing and the forward hit. The golf swing needs the same forearm rotation to allow the clubhead to be square at impact.
5) Remember to swing “Nice and easy when it’s breezy” than trying to hit the ball through the wind! But the harder the swing, the more spin on the ball, which is only exaggerated by the wind.
What area of your golf game do you most need to work on? For more help with your swing or other challenges on the green, try one of our Hilton Head golf schools or clinics. View the complete Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy schedule.
We also offer a variety of golf vacation packages that all you to improve your game while enjoying plenty of down time, as well. For example, with our Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy golf vacation package, you get two full days of instruction, resort villa accommodations, a free club fitting, video analysis and discounts on resort activities.