Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
There are just certain things you MUST do on any vacation and of course, here on Hilton Head Island, we think there are a few items that should be on every visitor’s bucket list. Here is the Palmetto Dunes’ Hilton Head Bucket List for every island vacationer:
1) Get your picture taken at King Neptune Statue at Shelter Cove Harbour – This iconic statue at Shelter Cove Harbour, just across from the resort, is actually a sundial. But a pic with this guy is a favorite of vacationers, so add it to your list and post it on Facebook (while you’re there, post it on our Facebook, too)!
2) Eat at the Dunes House – Open only to resort guests and property owners, the Dunes House is a perk you can’t pass up. It’s a restaurant and bar situated right on the beach with delicious fish tacos and yummy frozen cocktails.
3) Catch a fish – Head out in our 11-mile inland lagoon with Captain Trent and see if you can catch a “big red” (reddrum or red fish). Kids, try for a flounder!
4) Get a beanie hat and have it signed by Shannon Tanner – If you visit during the summer, head over to HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour Monday-Thursday at 6:30 or 8 p.m. and catch the famous family performer Shannon Tanner. You must hear him sing “Your Hair Had a Party Last Night” and then you have to get your very own beanie hat (like his) and have him sign it with an inspirational message.
5) Eat the cinnamon rolls at the General Store – There’s no better way to start your morning in Hilton Head than with these sweet pastries from the Palmetto Dunes General Store. Ride your bike over and eat up! Just get plenty of napkins…
6) Try stand up paddleboarding – This is one of our most popular water sports that we offer at Hilton Head Outfitters, located inside the resort. Get lessons from our paddleboard instructor or let him take you out on a group tour of our lagoon. You’ll work your abs, burn lots of calories and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
7) Spot a dolphin – Keep your eye out when at the beach for our favorite friendly mammals. You’ll likely see their fins pop up out of the water. They also often swim up into inlets and tidal creeks, which may be a quieter place to find them during the busier months.
8) Try for a hole in one – Head to one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and see if you can hit a hole in one. You may improve your odds with a golf lesson from our super fun director of golf instruction Doug Weaver.
9) Try your hand at tennis – All guests of the resort enjoy two hours of free tennis court time daily with each night’s accommodation, so there’s no reason not to see if you and tennis are a “match.” We also offer tennis clinics and lessons every day, along with private instruction.
10) Take a nighttime beach walk – Grab a flashlight and take a moonlit beach walk. You’ll enjoy seeing another side of Hilton Head by night. Just keep watch for sea turtle nests, mamas or babies and stay out of their way. Light can disorient them so keep flashlights off if you spot them.
What’s on your Hilton Head bucket list? What did we miss? For more information about tennis, golf, accommodations or other activities, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.