It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, it’s just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home – Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities – Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by booking Hilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
It’s been a good year for this South Carolina beach resort! Palmetto Dunes not only received a number of high profile honors and accolades recognizing everything from our championship Hilton Head golf courses and tennis facilities to our family friendliness and outstanding staff, but we also started several new events that were a great success.
Here’s a quick look back at our star-studded 2013:
The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center was honored to host a number of high-profile state championships for the United States Tennis Association (USTA). In May, seniors from across South Carolina headed to Hilton Head to take home top honors in the USTA South Carolina 40 & Over Championships, formerly known as the Senior Championships. Then in October, we hosted the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult Championships. Our very own Jackie Reynecke, who helped coordinate these events, was also named the South Carolina League Volunteer of the Year for the USTA.
The Tennis Center was featured in the July issue of Tennis Magazine in a large spread about the resort and was recognized again by TennisResortsOnline.com as the No. 9 Top Tennis Resort in the world and No. 4 Top Junior Tennis programs in the world. Plus, the users of TripAdvisor named the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 attraction in Hilton Head.
Our golf courses are always wonderful to play with their varied attributes and amazing layouts, but they were especially regarded this year. The Arthur Hills golf course got a shout-out from Golf Digest magazine as a top Hilton Head course, in an article that also designated the island as a Best Buddies Trip Destination. PGA.com selected the famous oceanfront No. 10 hole at the Robert Trent Jones golf course a “South Carolina dream hole” and we couldn’t agree more!
We also launched a brand new golf app for the iPhone and Android, which now has thousands of users. Using your phone, you can check yardage information, book your tee time, set up leader boards and order food at our golf grilles so it’s hot and ready when you finish your round. Download it by searching for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on your favorite app store.
New Events at Shelter Cove Harbour
Several events made their debut at Shelter Cove Harbour this year to great acclaim. Taste on the Harbour kicked off in March. Due to the event’s success, we hosted the event again in October, offering featured menus, drink specials and tastings from Shelter Cove Harbour restaurants on select nights combined with live music from local island bands.
Additionally, Parrot Palooza joined our already very popular HarbourFest summertime event, which celebrated 25 years. Shannon Tanner and the Oyster Reefers, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band, entertained attendees on Friday evenings with island style music as they danced and sang the night away while the sun set over Broad Creek.
The finish off the year with a bang, Travel + Leisure magazine named Palmetto Dunes to its Top 25 World’s Best Family Getaways in its November issue. This made our resort the highest-ranking in South Carolina. The awards are based on a survey of the magazine’s readers. “Whether it’s reeling in a trophy redfish, learning how to properly swing a golf club or riding the waves on a surfboard, Palmetto Dunes has so much to offer families year round,” said Brad Marra, assistant vice president of resort operations for Palmetto Dunes.
What’s coming next year? More good things! Palmetto Dunes will be launching a brand new device-responsive website, using the latest online booking technology and designed for ease of use by our wonderful guests. For golfers, the Jones course will be adding new GPS-enabled touch screen systems for all golf carts, which offers course fly-overs, yardage, hole information and more. There’s so much more in store… you’ll just have to come visit us to see it all!
For more information about vacationing at Palmetto Dunes, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-744-7558 to get started booking your spring or summer Hilton Head getaway.
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes and we like to keep them busy with our many kid-friendly activities like surfing, tennis, kayaking, swimming and fishing. But golf is especially near and dear to our heart since we have three amazing and varied Hilton Head golf courses all inside our beautiful resort.
PGA America and the National Golf Course Owners’ Association have declared July Family Golf Month in an effort to promote golf as a fun, family recreational activity that lets you spend uninterrupted quality time together.
"Getting the family together for a round of golf, whether it’s nine or 18 holes, is a great outdoor activity that gives parents the opportunity to have uninterrupted conversations and quality time with their children," says PGA of America President Ted Bishop. "It's also a great way for the entire family to enjoy golf's health and wellness benefits while creating memories for a lifetime."
So how can your family enjoy golf at our South Carolina golf resort? Ah, let us count the ways!
Family Golf School
We offer three-day, two-hour private golf lessons designed specifically for your family at our Hilton Head Family Golf School. We’ll meet everyone at exactly their skill level and help them improve their game. We love this video showing a mom and her daughters during their Family Golf School lesson!
Kids Play Free
To encourage our golfers to teach the game to their kids, we let kids play free at the Robert Trent Jones Hilton Head golf course and the Arthur Hills golf course after 4 p.m. with an adult paying regular rate. This is a great opportunity to expose your kids to the game and enjoy some one-on-one time with each other!
We’ve also installed permanent junior tees on our Robert Trent Jones golf course, and the George Fazio course caters to juniors with markings of 150 yards or less. This makes it easier and more fun for junior golfers!
Junior Golf Lessons
We also have a variety of Hilton Head golf lessons for juniors, including our Little Swingers program designed for ages 3-7. Director of Instruction Doug Weaver teaches the game of golf while singing songs with the kids.
Our Junior Golf Clinics for ages 6-18 focus on golf fundamentals like golf shots, etiquette and rules. Weaver covers three different shots every day, and four-time attendees are rewarded with a Junior Golf School Manual.
Lastly, if you have a junior gofer who’s top of the class, enroll him or her in the Advanced Juniors Classes for ages 8-18. These kids get to play with a pro and get instruction as they go!
Make your love of golf a family affair at Palmetto Dunes! To sign up for any of the above golf lessons, schools or clinics or for any questions, please call us at 866-744-7558.
There are just certain things you MUST do on any vacation and of course, here on Hilton Head Island, we think there are a few items that should be on every visitor’s bucket list. Here is the Palmetto Dunes’ Hilton Head Bucket List for every island vacationer:
1) Get your picture taken at King Neptune Statue at Shelter Cove Harbour – This iconic statue at Shelter Cove Harbour, just across from the resort, is actually a sundial. But a pic with this guy is a favorite of vacationers, so add it to your list and post it on Facebook (while you’re there, post it on our Facebook, too)!
2) Eat at the Dunes House – Open only to resort guests and property owners, the Dunes House is a perk you can’t pass up. It’s a restaurant and bar situated right on the beach with delicious fish tacos and yummy frozen cocktails.
3) Catch a fish – Head out in our 11-mile inland lagoon with Captain Trent and see if you can catch a “big red” (reddrum or red fish). Kids, try for a flounder!
4) Get a beanie hat and have it signed by Shannon Tanner – If you visit during the summer, head over to HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour Monday-Thursday at 6:30 or 8 p.m. and catch the famous family performer Shannon Tanner. You must hear him sing “Your Hair Had a Party Last Night” and then you have to get your very own beanie hat (like his) and have him sign it with an inspirational message.
5) Eat the cinnamon rolls at the General Store – There’s no better way to start your morning in Hilton Head than with these sweet pastries from the Palmetto Dunes General Store. Ride your bike over and eat up! Just get plenty of napkins…
6) Try stand up paddleboarding – This is one of our most popular water sports that we offer at Hilton Head Outfitters, located inside the resort. Get lessons from our paddleboard instructor or let him take you out on a group tour of our lagoon. You’ll work your abs, burn lots of calories and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
7) Spot a dolphin – Keep your eye out when at the beach for our favorite friendly mammals. You’ll likely see their fins pop up out of the water. They also often swim up into inlets and tidal creeks, which may be a quieter place to find them during the busier months.
8) Try for a hole in one – Head to one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and see if you can hit a hole in one. You may improve your odds with a golf lesson from our super fun director of golf instruction Doug Weaver.
9) Try your hand at tennis – All guests of the resort enjoy two hours of free tennis court time daily with each night’s accommodation, so there’s no reason not to see if you and tennis are a “match.” We also offer tennis clinics and lessons every day, along with private instruction.
10) Take a nighttime beach walk – Grab a flashlight and take a moonlit beach walk. You’ll enjoy seeing another side of Hilton Head by night. Just keep watch for sea turtle nests, mamas or babies and stay out of their way. Light can disorient them so keep flashlights off if you spot them.
What’s on your Hilton Head bucket list? What did we miss? For more information about tennis, golf, accommodations or other activities, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
When you vacation to Hilton Head as a family, there are lots of activities you can do together from swimming and riding bikes to hanging out at the beach and seeing the sights. But here at Palmetto Dunes, we like to see families get active together and we offer a variety of ways to do that, including our Hilton Head Family Golf School.
Perhaps Mom and Dad could use a few tips to improve their golf game while the kids may just be getting started on their golfing career. Whatever level your family, we’ll tailor our golf school to your needs and skill level. Our own head of golf instruction, Doug Weaver, is great with kids and teaches them moves like “closing the car door” and “alligator arms” to help them learn golf in a fun and engaging way.
Watch Doug teach golf to kids in this fun video:
Our Family Golf School spans three days with two hours of private lessons daily. That gives you plenty of time to do lots of other fun Hilton Head activities in addition to learning golf.
The golf school includes a video analysis sent by email, on-course instruction, rules and etiquette lessons, use of the school’s video lending library, take home materials, lunch daily, free range privileges plus 9 holes of golf daily on a space-available basis, and 25% discount on all rentals, such as bikes, kayaks and canoes, from Hilton Head Outfitters.
Our golf school is limited to five participants and immediate family members only.
We can’t wait to see how your family looks on the course after Family Golf School! To sign up for our program, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
A long weekend is on the horizon (Yay!). And we can’t think of a better way to spend your days off than on a Labor Day golf getaway to Palmetto Dunes!
Here’s a rundown of the things you can do at this ever popular South Carolina golf resort, including plenty of golf but some other Hilton Head activities, as well:
The Hilton Head Celebrity Golf Tournament kicks off Friday Aug. 31, 2012 at our famed Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course, one of our three world-class golf courses. Since 1979, the annual event has raised more than $3.8 million for well-deserving children’s charities of the South Carolina Lowcountry.
Celebrities at this year’s tournament include actors Richard Schiff of The West Wing and Brian Baumgartner, Kevin from The Office; TV personalities Paul Goodloe of the Weather Channel and Holly Sonders of Golf Channel’s Morning Drive; numerous professional athletes and plenty of South Carolina favorites including Bobby Cremins; and George Rogers, NFL running back, University of South Carolina graduate and 1980 Heisman Trophy winner.
While you won’t be able to play the Jones course Friday (it will be closed for the tournament), you can certainly go and enjoy the festivities! Or you could plan to play one (or both) of the other golf courses at Palmetto Dunes: the George Fazio Course (called the most challenging course in Hilton Head) and the Arthur Hills Course (with 10 holes on the water!). Of course, the Jones course will be back open on Saturday and Sunday.
We also have a special deal right now on Saturday that you can take advantage of while in town. If you book a tee time after 11 a.m. you get half off resort rates if you use code SSSPECIAL12 and book your tee time online here.
While HarbourFest fireworks are over for the season, Shannon Tanner hasn’t gone home yet! Shannon is a family entertainer, who’s been singing and playing music to crowds at Shelter Cove since 1988. Shannon will be performing Friday at 6:30 and 8 p.m. with other live entertainment Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Cappy the Clown will be on hand 6-9 p.m. all weekend and there will be lots of other family activities to do, as well. So bring the whole bunch and experience a new family tradition!
Bike Around Town
Rent a bike from Hilton Head Outfitters, THE place for Hilton Head bike rentals, and explore. Hilton Head Island has more than 50 miles of bike paths that take you beneath live oaks draped with Spanish moss, past creeks and marshes, and close to an assortment of beautiful flowers in bloom.
What’s going on Labor Day weekend at Palmetto Dunes? As you can see, a lot! In addition to the events above, be sure to check out our event calendar for more information on daily tennis clinics, golf demonstrations and after-hours activities at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort! Enjoy your long weekend!
We’re kicking off 2012 with four wonderful tournaments for all our golf and tennis friends out there. While we know many of you are stuck in snow and ice, why not head to Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and spend a little time outside in milder temperatures at one of these entertaining events.
On January 21, we’ll hold the Martin Luther King Golf Tournament at our Arthur Hills course. Locals will invade our golf course to play in honor of the great Martin Luther King Jr. Next, during the first weekend in February, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center will host the No-Snow Tennis Classic from the 3rd – 5th of the month. Grab your racquet and head down to Hilton Head for some great tennis play with a guarantee of no snow!
We’ll also honor all those in the food and beverage industry in Hilton Head with our annual F&B Golf Tournament on February 16. This will be the tournament’s 8th year at our George Fazio course and you can enter now by simply clicking here. This tournament is all about the locals and at least one person from your team needs to be in the food and beverage industry.
The 26th Annual “Luck of the Irish” Doubles Tournament will bring us into March with tennis teams that are sure to please. We hope to see lots of men’s, women’s and mixed doubles team this year. It’s only $45 per person for one event or $55 a person for two events. You can register your doubles team by clicking here and filling out the entry form.
We feel very lucky to have such amazing events happening this winter season and to be able to engage with all the Hilton Head locals and out-of-towners through these events. Whether you “love” tennis or golf, we hope this blog post got you on “par” with some tournaments to enjoy this year!
Our Robert Trent Jones Course was the first golf course built at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, and it’s a favorite of many. In fact readers of Golfweek magazine voted it among their favorite courses in the Southeast. The course offers 18 holes, 11 of which wind alongside an 11-mile lagoon system. The Jones course is most famous for its par-five 10th oceanfront hole, one of only two on the Island.
Built in 1967 by Robert Trent Jones and significantly reconstructed in 2002 by longtime protégé Roger Rulewich, this course aims to please. After reshaping tees, elevating fairways and improving the drainage system, the course re-opened and was named the 2003 Golf Course of the Year by the South Carolina Golf Course Owners Association and is ranked four stars by Golf Digest. The Jones course plays 7,005 yards from the championship tees.
And that’s not all! The course also claims the largest pro-shop at Palmetto Dunes, and one of the largest on the Island. From Nike and Adidas to Burberry and Travis Mathew, we have it all. After you purchase those new clubs make sure you hit our free custom club fitting every Monday, Wednesday and Friday! We hope to “tee” you soon.
The weather is starting to cool down which means it’s a great time to get a group of friends or bring your loved one on a golf getaway here at Palmetto Dunes. There’s no better time to play golf than in the fall here in South Carolina. We have tons of beautiful Hilton Head rental homes and villas that overlook one of our three award winning golf courses but 951 Inverness is a must-see villa!
Remodeled in 2009 and situated on the 12th hole of the George Fazio course, this three-bedroom, three- bath villa is perfect for a group or a family. After a morning on the fairways you can cool off in the community pool that’s only a short walk from your villa or chill out by watching TV on the flat screen in the living room!
Make sure to take advantage of our other activities, such as the two hours of free tennis court time and discounted bike rentals, that you receive when you book your villa through Palmetto Dunes. Another great bonus of renting with Palmetto Dunes is that you can enjoy lunch, dinner or mid-afternoon cocktails at The Dunes House!
951 Inverness is ready to make your fall golf outing perfect, so check out its availability, gather up your gang of guys or group of gals and call us at 866.380.1778. Fore!