Sure, a week is a great vacation to Hilton Head but a month is even better. Not that you needed any more reasons to visit us, but we’ve listed 5 of our top reasons to extend your stay at Palmetto Dunes to at least a month:
1) Play unlimited golf! What’s better than a round of golf? Unlimited rounds of golf! With our Monthly Golf Membership, you can play all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses as much as you want for an entire month. Choose between our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course, the Arthur Hills course or the George Fazio course.
2) Ride your bike on all 50 miles of paved island paths. Did you know you could pedal 50 miles across our island? Spend more than a week and see if you can master it all! With monthly Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, you’ll be set with any kind of bike you like, including their new comfort bike, cruisers, kids bikes and more.
3) Get to “love” tennis, if you don’t already. When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The longer you stay, the more tennis you can play!
4) Kayak to your heart’s content! Palmetto Dunes is home to a beautiful and peaceful 11-mile saltwater inland lagoon system that winds throughout the resort and our golf courses. Get weekly kayak or canoe rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters to enjoy the peaceful beauty of the lagoon, or if you plan to stay several months, consider the affordable yearly membership. See how many birds you can spot in the lagoon during your stay and watch for other wildlife, as well, like a friendly otter who likes to splash around our lagoon.
5) Try lots of Hilton Head restaurants. Here on the island we offer wonderful dining from ethic foods to fresh seafood to gourmet meals with beautiful views. Some suggestions include Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones Clubhouse, the beachfront Dunes House (open seasonally to resort guests and property owners), Ela’s Blu Water Grille with harbour views at Shelter Cove Harbour and San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, also at Shelter Cove.
If you want to do ALL these things on your visit to Palmetto Dunes, consider our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership. It gets you a 30-night stay in a Hilton Head resort villa, 30 days of unlimited golf and bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time daily, plus plenty of time to walk on the beach.
For more information about any of these memberships or packages, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
If you’ve ever played our Hilton Head golf courses, then you know just how gorgeous they are with their lush greens, live oaks around every corner and even views of the Atlantic on the Robert Trent Jones course. But have you ever seen our courses from above? We doubt it!
We’ve created new 3-D animated “flyovers” of each of our South Carolina golf courses to give you a bird’s eye view before you hit the greens. Simply go to the individual web page for each course listed below and click on the link to view the flyover.
Once you’re on the flyover, choose which hole you’ve like to soar above and get ready to fly! Each view shows you par for the hole, as well as the distance from each of the tees. Pause at any point to take a more detailed look.
Watching these flyovers is helpful for golfers, because it shows you all in one glance the obstacles you’ll face at each hole and allows you to formulate a plan of how to get there.
Don’t forget to check out our Hilton Head webcam at the Robert Trent Jones course, as well, to see real-time, on-the-ground action at the golf course. Both of these options are great ways to be “on the course” even when you’re stuck at your desk.
Be sure to browse some of our amazing fall golf packages that let you play golf at all three of our championship courses, improve your game at our Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy and enjoy other activities like fishing and biking.
Let us know what you think of the new flyovers and we hope to see you teeing off soon!
Shooting your age is a coveted accomplishment for any golfer, because it not only means you’ve lived a relatively long life, but that you’re still a pretty good golfer. Leo Luken, 95, a longtime player at the Hilton Head golf courses at Palmetto Dunes, where he lives, recently reached that feat for an incredible 1000th time. On Tuesday, September 24, Luken shot 47-45 for 92 at the George Fazio golf course.
Luken didn’t start playing golf until the age of 45 and shot his age for the first time at 71. He plays golf several times a week and usually shoots his age – or better – two out of three rounds. Formerly a pitcher for the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Zollner Pistons, he holds a spot in the Kentucky and Indiana sports halls of fame.
Luken participated in the Shoot Your Age Championship in Florida 2005, which aired nationally on CBS, shooting his age for the 530th time and bettering his age by six shots. He ended up winning the tournament, besting even Arnold Palmer.
“Yeah, [one of the players] thought I was lying,” says Luken. “Before we teed off the first day down at the championship, he was walking around introducing himself and asking guys how many times they’d shot their age. One guy said 12, and another said 30. When he got to me, I said, ‘529,’ which was the number at that time. [He] threw up arms and said, ‘Get outta here.’ The next day I made it 530 and won the tournament.”
Have you ever shot your age? Do you think you could do it 1000 times? Here’s hoping you can, just like Leo Luken!
If you want to give it a shot, our 30-day Hilton Head golf membership is a good place to start. It gives you plenty of chances to hit the mark!
Summer is coming to a close, but that’s no reason to deny your buddies more rounds of golf! Text them now and make plans for long weekend to Hilton Head Island for golf, football, fishing and good times. We’ve got 5 good reasons why:
1) The weather is usually awesome! Average highs on Hilton Head Island in September and October range from the mid 70’s to the mid 80’s. While we can’t promise sunny skies every day, they are the norm during the autumn season. Just think… no sweat, and a nice ocean breeze!
2) Get a FREE round when you book by September 15 – Book a group of 12 or more and stay a minimum 3 nights and get a fourth round of golf FREE, plus free replays as available! More golf is never a bad thing… Here are the details.
3) Get three varied experiences – Here at Palmetto Dunes, a top South Carolina golf resort, we offer three different championship golf courses with varied challenges, views and experiences.
4) Play golf by the ocean – Our Robert Trent Jones golf course is one of only two Hilton Head golf courses with oceanfront holes. Tackle our famed par-5 10th hole right on the Atlantic and see if you can beat the ocean breeze to come under par. If you don’t, the view will make up for it!
5) Tell everyone you rode on a Segway – Make golfing with the guys even more fun by ditching the golf cart and hopping on a Segway. Enjoy a laugh as your friends – and you – learn how to balance this amazing piece of technology.
There, did we convince you?! Submit your request for a quote right here or call us directly at 866-744-7558. Let the competition begin!
Hilton Head is often a popular vacation site for celebrities from the Clintons to John Mellencamp to Paula Abdul, but the celebrity sightings will ramp up this fall at the annual Hilton Head Island Celebrity Golf Tournament August 30-September 1.
This yearly event pairs amateur golfers with celebrities to raise funds for local children’s nonprofit organizations. For the past 30 years, Greenwood Resorts and Communities has played an active role in the success of the tournament, and one of the highlighted Hilton Head golf courses has been our own oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course.
Participating in the Hilton Head golf tournament this year are a host of celebrities, including:
And the list goes on… To see the complete list of celebrity participants, visit the tournament website.
The Robert Trent Jones course is the first stop for the three-day tournament. Opening ceremonies begin August 30 at 8:45 a.m. with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. On day 2, players will head to the Arnold Palmer Signature Course at Wexford Plantation and on day 3, Harbour Town Golf Links.
On September 1, there will also be a special kids’ event from 1-3 p.m. with putting contests and prizes, as well as T-shirts and golf balls for the first 100 children.
Nothing planned for Labor Day? Take an end-of-summer break to Hilton Head Island and enjoy this classic Hilton Head Island golf tournament. For information about accommodations or other Hilton Head activities at the resort like tennis, kayaking, fishing and more, visit www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes and we like to keep them busy with our many kid-friendly activities like surfing, tennis, kayaking, swimming and fishing. But golf is especially near and dear to our heart since we have three amazing and varied Hilton Head golf courses all inside our beautiful resort.
PGA America and the National Golf Course Owners’ Association have declared July Family Golf Month in an effort to promote golf as a fun, family recreational activity that lets you spend uninterrupted quality time together.
"Getting the family together for a round of golf, whether it’s nine or 18 holes, is a great outdoor activity that gives parents the opportunity to have uninterrupted conversations and quality time with their children," says PGA of America President Ted Bishop. "It's also a great way for the entire family to enjoy golf's health and wellness benefits while creating memories for a lifetime."
So how can your family enjoy golf at our South Carolina golf resort? Ah, let us count the ways!
Family Golf School
We offer three-day, two-hour private golf lessons designed specifically for your family at our Hilton Head Family Golf School. We’ll meet everyone at exactly their skill level and help them improve their game. We love this video showing a mom and her daughters during their Family Golf School lesson!
Kids Play Free
To encourage our golfers to teach the game to their kids, we let kids play free at the Robert Trent Jones Hilton Head golf course and the Arthur Hills golf course after 4 p.m. with an adult paying regular rate. This is a great opportunity to expose your kids to the game and enjoy some one-on-one time with each other!
We’ve also installed permanent junior tees on our Robert Trent Jones golf course, and the George Fazio course caters to juniors with markings of 150 yards or less. This makes it easier and more fun for junior golfers!
Junior Golf Lessons
We also have a variety of Hilton Head golf lessons for juniors, including our Little Swingers program designed for ages 3-7. Director of Instruction Doug Weaver teaches the game of golf while singing songs with the kids.
Our Junior Golf Clinics for ages 6-18 focus on golf fundamentals like golf shots, etiquette and rules. Weaver covers three different shots every day, and four-time attendees are rewarded with a Junior Golf School Manual.
Lastly, if you have a junior gofer who’s top of the class, enroll him or her in the Advanced Juniors Classes for ages 8-18. These kids get to play with a pro and get instruction as they go!
Make your love of golf a family affair at Palmetto Dunes! To sign up for any of the above golf lessons, schools or clinics or for any questions, please call us at 866-744-7558.
Summer is almost here and that means there will be lots of people out playing our three championship Hilton Head golf courses! Not only do you want to have a great game, but you want to look fabulous and have the latest and greatest equipment to boot. We’ve picked three of the hottest summer golf items that have just arrived in our Palmetto Dunes golf pro shops to share with you:
Men’s Oakley Golf Apparel
This is a new golf apparel line for us here at Palmetto Dunes and we just received our first shipment in May. Oakley is popular with lots of golf pros like Bubba Watson, Ricky Barnes and Zach Johnson, and we think our customers will like it, too. Oakley says their aim is to blend bright colors with intricate detail and a broad array of materials. Come into one of our Hilton Head golf pro shops, try on some items and see what you think!
9 & Dine Women’s Golf Apparel
Of course, we want our ladies to look just as good as the gents on the golf course and that’s why we carry the 9 & Dine brand of women’s golf apparel. This line, made in the USA, was created out of a desire for fashion, comfort and convenience and we think it succeeds! It’s been described as clothing that can transition from the golf course straight to cocktail hour – a win-win. 9 & Dine’s collections were created to give women golf clothes they’ll love to wear, on the golf course and beyond. Here’s a fun video featuring the 9 & Dine founder:
Taylormade RBZ-2 Fairway Woods Golf Clubs
Looking for some new golf clubs? Need a great Father’s Day gift! May we suggest the new Taylormade RBZ-2 Fairway Woods clubs? The second generation of the Rocketballz fairway woods brings an improved speed pocket design and a low, forward CG location to produce a fairway wood that is up to 10 yards longer than last year’s fairway wood revolution. Come try these during a free club fitting with Rod Thompson at the Robert Trent Jones course range and see how you like them! To make an appointment, please call us 843-686-9137. Come see the difference properly-fitted equipment can make in your game.
What new golf gear are you looking for this year? It’s likely one of our three golf pro shops has it! Stop by and browse a while next time you’re in town or give us a call directly at 866-744-7558 to see if we have what you need in stock.
Be sure to check out all of our summer Hilton Head golf clinics, schools and classes, Hilton Head golf packages and play some rounds with us this summer. Have a great summer golf season!
Where do you go when you want to have fun with your best buds? Golf Digest says Hilton Head, and we agree, of course! Lucky for you, Palmetto Dunes is located on Hilton Head and home to the finest golf courses on Hilton Head Island! There’s no better choice than Palmetto Dunes for your group golf trip, where we specialize in providing a top-notch, first-class golf experience!
In their December 2012 issue, Golf Digest ranked their top 36 destinations for a “Best Buddies” getaway. Hilton Head came in at No. 9, with our Arthur Hills course named as a key golf course. Golf Digest editors created the list by surveying panelists of more than 1000 avid golfers who rank their biennial
America’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses.
To add to Hilton Head’s impressive list of awards, the island was named No. 8 for Best Value, No. 8 for Best Courses, No. 9 for best weather, No. 10 for best food and drink, No. 10 for best lodging, and No. 7 as best for couples (Palmetto Dunes offers great romance packages for you and your special someone).
Throughout March, we’re giving you even more incentive to come play golf with your buddies at Palmetto Dunes and see if you agree with Golf Digest! When you book a golf group, you’ll get your fourth round free AND free replays based on availability. When your group plays golf at Palmetto Dunes, we also provide a dedicated on-site group coordinator, as well as complimentary range balls and yardage books plus resort discounts and free tennis court time!
Another great thing about a Hilton Head guys getaway (or girls!) to Palmetto Dunes is all the OTHER activities we offer to keep you busy. Get everyone together for a deep sea fishing charter or kayak through our peaceful inland lagoon. Run on the beach or bike some of Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike paths. We also offer two hours of free tennis daily for each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation villas. We’ll keep you as busy as you want to be!
Request a group golf rate proposal here and be sure to check out all our great Hilton Head golf packages, some of which include lessons and other activities. We promise you’ll love your stay and our championship golf courses!
It’s New Year’s so we’re guessing you’ve probably made a few new year’s resolutions for 2013. Health is always at the top of the resolution list so we wanted to encourage you to come on down to Hilton Head and get healthy with a beautiful view!
Here are 5 healthy activities you can do at Palmetto Dunes to support those new year’s resolutions so they don’t get left in the dust:
1) Walk the golf course – We offer three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, each unique and challenging in its own way. When you play one of our courses, instead of opting for the cart, why not walk the course? You’ll burn some extra calories, do your heart some good and more thoroughly enjoy your beautiful surroundings. It might even give you some more quality time with your golfing buddies!
2) Bike the resort – There are many paved paths throughout Palmetto Dunes, and the streets within the resort are also bike friendly. Everyone knows a good bike ride is a great workout, plus you’re more apt to forget you’re exercising as you take in the lovely views at every turn. Instead of driving to Shelter Cove Harbour to shop or dine, why not hop on a bike using our special passageway that lets you avoid crossing Highway 278? We offer Hilton Head bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters for everyone in the family.
3) Try a Zike Bike! Sure, biking is great on its own, but using this unique bike, you’ll get even more of a workout. The Zike Bike is designed as a cross between a bike and an elliptical machine. You use the elliptical movement to power the bike and work your body even harder. Visit Hilton Head Outfitters to try one or rent one on your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Fall in “love” with tennis – When you book a Hilton Head vacation home or Hilton Head vacation villa with Palmetto Dunes, you get two free hours of tennis daily. Be sure to take advantage of that court time to get in a great tennis workout. If you’d like a little more structure, head over to our Hilton Head tennis academy for a variety of lessons, clinics and even a Cardio Tennis class.
5) Paddleboard our lagoon – Pick a sunny winter afternoon and head out on our 11-mile inland lagoon to try the fastest growing watersport, paddleboarding. When paddleboarding, you stand on a board similar to a surf board and use a paddle to navigate your way through the lagoon. The balance and core work required is like no other! Expect washboard abs if you do this sport regularly :).
What’s your favorite way to be healthy at Palmetto Dunes? Please share with us your new year’s resolutions and we’ll suggest some ways we can support them here at the beach. If we can help you plan activities or a vacation to our beautiful resort, please give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy New Year’s!