We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
1) Swim -- What child doesn’t love to jump in the water and splash away? We figure that’s probably the first thing they’re going to want to do when they arrive, so we put it first on the list. Depending on the weather, if the ocean waters are a little too cool yet, hit the pool at your Hilton Head vacation rental, some of which are heated, and should be plenty warm in the sun.
2) Ride a bike – Our next suggestion that kids will love is riding their bike. We’re sure they’re already used to it at home and now they’ve got an entirely new area to explore. We recently replaced most of our bike paths, which number 5 miles within the resort alone. Instead of driving your car, ride your bike to the beach, to lunch, to golf, you name it! Get your Hilton Head bike rentals and all the gear you need at Hilton Head Outfitters.
3) Learn a new skill – Palmetto Dunes offers wonderful junior programs for both golf and tennis. Not only will kids and teens stay active and keep their minds firing, they’ll come home from Hilton Head Island proud to show their friends what they’ve learned. Watch these fun videos about our Little Swingers golf class and junior tennis clinics.
4) Explore nature – Nature is all around you on Hilton Head Island from the moss-draped live oak trees and colorful azaleas to shore birds and plentiful fish. Rent double kayaks and put an adult with each child for a peaceful kayak through our calm 11-mile lagoon system. See who can spot the most birds!
5) Reel in a big one – We have lots of great fishing around Palmetto Dunes, including our fair share of “monster” fish. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter on our lagoon and see if you can reel in Elvis, the giant red fish, or head out into the ocean for some exciting shark fishing for the whole family.
6) Go crabbing – This one may surprise you, but crabbing in Hilton Head is one of our favorite activities for families because everyone can get involved. Our charter, the Crabber J, teaches you how to catch a crab and then awards their world-famous Crabber J T-shirt to the person who catches the most!
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.
What’s your family doing this Memorial Day? May we suggest a visit to Hilton Head? We’ve got a host of different events all weekend that will appeal to a variety of interests.
Shelter Cove Harbour will once again host the annual Hilton Head Art Fest, now in its 5th year, which gives art lovers and novices alike the chance to browse art in a variety of media in the wonderful outdoor setting of Shelter Cove.
On Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26 from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Hilton Head vacationers and locals can visit the free arts and crafts market to see artwork from some 150 fine artists nationwide. Shoppers will find watercolor, jewelry, oils, ceramics, glass, photography and even life-size sculptures! Can you imagine taking home something akin to the famous King Neptune statue at Shelter Cove?
The artists at the festival are hand selected from hundreds of applicants to ensure an extensive variety of items that will appeal to a broad range of art enthusiasts, collectors and those looking for unique gifts. We can’t think of anything more amazing than taking back a work of art as a souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation!
Also, at Shelter Cove Harbour are a variety of musical performances, including Shannon Tanner who will kick off the 25th annual HarbourFest on May 24. He’ll play Friday-Sunday at both 6:30 and 8 p.m., entertaining crowds with his beloved kid-friendly songs like “My Hair Had a Party Last Night.”
During the day on both Saturday and Sunday, Shelter Cove Harbour will host the Patwa reggae band, a local favorite and perfect for setting a laid-back island mood. Grab a margarita at San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant and you’re set!
If your group wants to get more active, why not enroll in our Family Golf School, which is designed to fit a family’s needs and skill level or try our 90-minute Hilton Head surf school and learn how to catch a wave in no time. We’ll also be hosting adult tennis round robins over the weekend or try our new guided stand up paddleboarding tours of our 11-mile lagoon or the ocean for tailored paddleboarding guidance and a lesson on the flora and fauna of Hilton Head.
What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend? We hope they involve Hilton Head! If they don’t, go ahead and visit our Hilton Head web cams and pretend like you’re here :-).
When you visit Hilton Head Island, one thing on your must-do list is ride your bike! The island offers more than 50 miles of paved bike paths, and just within Palmetto Dunes alone there are plenty of places to ride your bike from the beach and the Dunes House open to resort guests to the General Store and Shelter Cove Harbour.
Our very own Hilton Head Outfitters is our resource for all things bike related on the island. They offer Hilton Head bike rentals and bike equipment rentals and can help you navigate the many bike paths within the resort and beyond.
To make it even easier to rent your bikes in Hilton Head, we’ve created a new program that allows you to rent them right from your mobile phone! You can book your bike literally from anywhere whether you’re lying at the beach, playing a round of golf or eating dinner.
There are a variety of options for renting your bike via our mobile program. You can text BIKE to 843-627-0007 to get access to our mobile website; alternately, you can scan a QR code which will be posted on a sign at Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. Lastly, you can call us at 843-627-0007 or visit the mobile site directly at www.needabike.info. Be sure to bookmark it!
When you arrive at the mobile site, choose the dates you need your bikes and then review your bike choices, which include cruisers, kids’ bikes, fat tire sand bikes, tandems and more. From within the mobile program, you can also rent bike equipment, including helmets, baskets, kiddie carts and tag-a-longs.
Simply make your selections, enter your contact and payment information and your bike will be delivered directly to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home on the date requested and picked up on the date of return.
The mobile program also provides Hilton Head bike route maps that you can access while on your bike of both the island bike trails and lagoon bike trails.
We hope you like our new Need a Bike mobile booking option. Try it and let us know what you think!
Coming down to Hilton Head Island for spring break or the RBC Heritage tournament? We’ve got a fun outdoor concert series for all ages that Hilton Head vacationers and locals can enjoy every week on Thursday nights. Starting Thursday, April 4 through May 23, Music on the Harbour will host live entertainment on Thursdays at Shelter Cove Harbour.
Each Thursday from 6:00-9:00 p.m., a local band will perform an outdoor concert for free around the King Neptune statue. It’s a great opportunity to gather your family and friends and head over to Shelter Cove Harbour for dinner, live entertainment and lovely harbour views and sunsets.
Shelter Cove Harbour offers a range of delicious Hilton Head restaurants, ranging from Italian and Mexican to gourmet and seafood. The restaurants offer fabulous views of Broad Creek, and during Music on the Harbour, the sun will be setting for an even better view of the beautiful boats and marshes! Shelter Cove restaurants will be offering drink specials during the event as well, so hang around after dinner for a drink or two along the water.
Shelter Cove Harbour also offers plenty of shopping, ranging from art galleries and children’s apparel to souvenirs and jewelry. Shelter Cove Harbour is also home to Hilton Head Island’s largest deep water marina with 170 boat slips and charters for nature cruises, dolphin cruises, sport crabbing and fishing.
Here is the complete line-up for Music on the Harbour with each band performing from 6:00-9:00 p.m.:
Shelter Cove also hosted Music on the Harbour last fall to packed crowds. Take a look at this fun video of the fall concert series:
Music on the Harbour is just the start to a busy entertainment season at Shelter Cove Harbour. The annual HarbourFest kicks off with performances from our much beloved Shannon Tanner, celebrating his 25th year, May 24-26 with two shows at 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Shannon will perform Monday-Friday through Labor Day at Shelter Cove Harbour. Fireworks kick off Tuesday, June 18 at dusk and will continue on a Tuesday night schedule during the summer with a special show on Thursday, July 4.
Need help with your Hilton Head accommodations or want to golf, play tennis, rent bikes and more? Palmetto Dunes is your source for Hilton Head fun! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 and we’ll get you set with a Hilton Head vacation rental and all the activities you could imagine!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Shannon Tanner has been rocking Shelter Cove all summer long during HarbourFest. His show has kids and families singing and dancing and is a Hilton Head summer staple. But last week, the audience got an unexpected surprise. He was joined by a special guest: musician Edwin McCain!
Tanner’s long-time friend took the stage to perform several songs, including his smash “I’ll Be.” McCain also sang a new song he wrote for his daughter called, “I’ll Take That Long Walk with You.” “It’s so much fun for him to come play,” says Tanner, who has a close relationship with McCain and his family, and played a role in helping McCain get his music career started. Tanner booked McCain’s very first gig at Wild Wing Café on the island!
Watch the video below to see a sample:
HarbourFest is the signature summer event at Shelter Cove Harbour, held mid-June through mid-August. The family-friendly festival offers nightly fun and entertainment, and the fireworks show every Tuesday night is extremely popular. This is Tanner’s 24th season playing. He performs Monday-Friday with two shows at 6:30 and 8 p.m. through Labor Day. His show is filled with a variety of children’s and family songs, including lots of sing-a-longs and audience participation.
“This is a very unique show at Hilton Head,” Tanner says. “I’ve been doing it for 24 years and it’s become an integral part of people’s summer memories. That’s not lost on me or taken lightly. I love what I do and I love that kids I played to years ago are now grown up and bringing their kids to see the show.”
In addition to enjoying his HarbourFest shows, families can also set sail with Tanner on his Most Excellent Pirate Expedition. The pirate ship sails from Shelter Cove Wednesday and Friday mornings. The morning includes pirate stories, pirate songs and dances, and of course a search for lost pirate treasure. For more information and tickets, please visit www.piratekidzofhiltonhead.com. You can also visit (and “Like”) the Pirate Expedition Facebook page.
Shannon Tanner App
Just because you have to get back to reality after your vacation, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the songs of summer. You can keep up with Tanner’s live performances and new material by downloading the free Shannon Tanner App to your smart phone!
“I get tons of emails and Facebook posts about people who enjoyed my show,” Tanner says. “With this app, they can listen to songs and watch videos. They can see where I’m performing, and even download some free music.”
But there’s nothing like seeing Tanner live, so be sure you catch him at HarbourFest before the season ends. The last fireworks show will be Aug. 14, though Tanner and the ever popular Cappy the Clown will continue to perform at Shelter Cove Harbour through Labor Day. View the complete schedule.
How cool would it be to tell friends and family you learned to surf while on your summer Hilton Head vacation? Maybe even throw around a little lingo, “The waves were waist to head high and glassy.”
The experts at Hilton Head Outfitters at Palmetto Dunes will teach you everything you need to know during a week-long Surf School, from how to paddle and pop-up, to picking the right wave and finding your balance while riding a frothy white wave into shore.
With an emphasis on safety and the basic fundamentals, Hilton Head Outfitters’ surf school is held throughout the summer. The Hilton Head surfing school specializes in teaching kids to surf, but the camp is open to all ages. Entire families have even signed up!
Each day, you’ll spend one and a half hours on the beach in a small group session ($80 p/p). You also can choose from a private lesson for one-on-one instruction ($125 p/p). The staff will help you choose between 7-foot and 9-foot soft-top boards, which are better for learning than a hard fiber glass board.
While on the sand, instructors like Captain Logan will help you learn the basics of paddling out and popping up on the board. They’ll show you the perfect positioning for your feet and work on your balance.
When you’re ready to hit the waves, rest assured, the camp is held in shallow water, which is perfect for youngsters. Wipeouts are totally part of the experience, but when you get in the zone and ride in that first wave, it will be an experience you’ll never forget … and a story you’ll probably tell for ages. Recent surf campers have even been doing headstands on paddleboards and riding tandem together!
Registration is required, but you just need to call (866) 650-4132 to reserve your spots. Need a little more information and inspiration? Watch this fun video below about the camp. You’ll be ready to hang 10 for sure!
Here at Palmetto Dunes, we love families. Nothing lights up our day like seeing a child enjoying the wonders of our resort and summer fun is definitely one of our specialties. After all, we’ve racked up a wall’s worth of plaques naming us one of the world’s best resorts for family vacations.
We have children and teens programs and activities for all ages and all skill levels. Some are a few hours, some a few days. Some are fairly structured, some aren’t. All offer lots of activity and plenty of fun!
For little golfers, try our “Little Swingers” program, which teaches golf basics while singing songs. More intensive is the five-day Palmetto Dunes Junior Golf Academy and, in between, we have clinics for various ages, practice rounds with an instructor and special prices for golfers under age 17 to play our three designer golf courses. We even have Family Golf School, which whole families can do together. Watch the video below to see some little golfers in action.
We’re proud of our tennis programs for the younger set, too. Our tennis clinics start with players ages 4 and up and includes Junior Tennis Camp for ages 9 to 17 and the Junior Grand Slam for tournament-level players. There are lots of clinics, tournaments and practices to choose from, as well. Here’s another great video clip of our tennis program for kids:
We take advantage of the fact we’re on an island, too, with all kinds of boating and fishing activities that set sail from Shelter Cove Marina. You can see science in real life here in Hilton Head. See dolphins up close on our dolphin cruise or learn how to crab with our Lowcountry experts. How about family ski day where you have your choice of ski instruction, kneeboarding or tubing or let them try out paddleboarding with a few lessons in our calm inland lagoon system.
No matter what strikes your kids’ fancy, they’re sure to find something at Palmetto Dunes that will keep boredom at bay, as well as keeping them active and engaged during your Hilton Head vacation.
January is the month where many Americans are gung-ho with their list of New Year’s resolutions. Lots of people are hitting the gym and checking out the health food isles at the grocery store, but we’ve also heard many people say they also resolve to spend more time with family. If you’ve been trying to get your immediate, or extended, family together for a while or want to plan a family reunion, why get the gang together at Palmetto Dunes?
Between our beautiful homes and villas, three world-renowned golf courses, tennis, bikes, fishing, shopping and the beach, every person in your family will be happy and entertained. What many people don’t realize when deciding where to stay Hilton Head is that when you stay with Palmetto Dunes, you get the best deals available on all the activities at the resort, as well as lagoon activities and boat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour. You also get two free hours of tennis time each day!
Shelter Cove Harbour, just across the road from the resort, is also a great place to take the fam, because there are plentiful restaurants to enjoy each night and a variety of shops to peruse. Our group planners can even help create a special dinner at The Dunes House or a more formal party to celebrate your family reunion.
So, ring up your family, start matching up calendars and settle on a date. Then give us a ring at 866-744-7558 or click here and we’ll handle the rest.
We hope to see your whole gang here soon!
It’s quickly becoming that time of year when you sit at the table to give thanks, hear holiday music on the radio and spend hours of your weekend wrapping gifts. The holidays are full of fun here on Hilton Head Island, and if you’re planning a trip here before 2012, you won’t be bored or disappointed.
The holiday excitement begins with Thanksgiving here at The Dunes House in Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. We’re serving up a traditional style Thanksgiving Day feast so if you’d be thankful for no cooking and no clean up, this is the perfect option for your family! If you’re staying that weekend, The Arts Center of Coastal Carolina is hosting the Community Christmas Tree Lighting to move us directly into the Santa spirit.
Come celebrate this joyful season with us at Shelter Cove Harbour Friday, November 25 by getting your picture with Santa, live entertainment and even free ornaments from Christmas on the Harbour for the first 200 children. The fun continues into Saturday with holiday sales and amazing deals from many of the shops in Shelter Cove.
Want to feel like you’re walking in a winter wonderland while you’re here on the Island? Then the Hilton Head Winter Wonder Festival on December 9 is a must-add to your calendars. From 4-8 p.m. at Shelter Cove Park, you can roast marshmallows, create holiday crafts or even hunt for the golden candy cane. This event is a wonderful family-friendly festival that allows parents and grandparents to come for free with their children!
For more information on events happening while you’re here on a fabulous winter vacation, click here!
There are so many things to be thankful for here in Hilton Head, South Carolina. The gorgeous weather, the beach, fishing, biking, great golf and tennis and all the amazing people! If you’re looking to skip the early snow this year and have a warm Thanksgiving, come celebrate with us at Palmetto Dunes. The average temperature here in November is upper 60’s to mid 70’s, making it great weather to hit one of our three golf courses, walk the beach or to play tennis all day!
Thanksgiving Day will be celebrated in a big way at our beach front restaurant, The Dunes House! On Thanksgiving, Nov. 25, from 11 am - 5 pm you can enjoy a huge Thanksgiving buffet your grandmother would be proud of. You can also pre-order a meal for carry-out. Just call us at 843-686-9623 or email us at email@example.com. The best part is you don’t have to cook or clean up when you’re done!
The buffet is $27.95 per person plus tax and gratuity and $13.95 for kids 12 and younger. Here is the menu for Turkey Day:
Thanksgiving Menu at The Dunes House:
Mix Greens Salad with House Dressings
New England Clam Chowder
Citrus Brined Deep Fried Tom Turkey
Oven Roasted Organic Free Range Turkey
Corn Bread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Honey Glazed Baked Bone in Spiral Ham
Miss Liz's Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
Garlic Mash Yukon Gold Potatoes
Fennel and Rosemary Crusted Prime Rib
Desserts include: Frankie Mae's Famous Pumpkin Pie, Keylime Pie,
Southern Bourban Pecan Pie, Sweet Potatoe Pie and Cookies.
Regular menu will not be served at this time.
We’ll also be hosting a holiday kick-off celebration the day after Thanksgiving and we’ll be sharing information soon with all the details. Whether you join us or celebrate at home, happy Turkey Day!
Are your kids dreaming of their spring or summer spent at Palmetto Dunes? Reading a book about the beach is a great way to bring those memories to mind, while encouraging a love of reading at the same time.
Head to the library or the bookstore and turn it into a fun outing as you look for your “beach book.” Here are a few children’s books set at the beach that we highly recommend.
So cozy up with your little ones this fall and dream of days at beach. Happy reading!
Halloween is in just two short weeks, which leaves little time to find a costume. For those who are super busy and don’t want to spend a lot of time or money on a cool get-up for Halloween, we’ve got you covered with some Palmetto Dunes-inspired costumes for the whole family!
1. Dad as a golfer:
-sweater to tie around your neck
2. Mom as a tennis player:
3. Child as a Surfer:
-surfboard: can be made out of cardboard and painted by your child
-shell necklace or a lei
4. Toddler as a Sea Turtle:
- green hooded sweatshirt
- green sweatpants
- 2 large sheets of dark green felt
- light green and tan felt
- 2 large googly eyes
- pillow stuffing or newspaper
- fabric glue
This costume requires a little more work than the other three but is still very easy and super inexpensive to create. Follow these simple steps from HGTV and don’t be afraid to get a little creative with it!
These are just a couple ideas that are fun and can be pulled together with items in your closet. Got more cheap and easy costume ideas? Tweet us an idea or a picture @PalmettoDunesSC or post to our Facebook page!