When you visit Hilton Head Island, one thing on your must-do list is ride your bike! The island offers more than 50 miles of paved bike paths, and just within Palmetto Dunes alone there are plenty of places to ride your bike from the beach and the Dunes House open to resort guests to the General Store and Shelter Cove Harbour.
Our very own Hilton Head Outfitters is our resource for all things bike related on the island. They offer Hilton Head bike rentals and bike equipment rentals and can help you navigate the many bike paths within the resort and beyond.
To make it even easier to rent your bikes in Hilton Head, we’ve created a new program that allows you to rent them right from your mobile phone! You can book your bike literally from anywhere whether you’re lying at the beach, playing a round of golf or eating dinner.
There are a variety of options for renting your bike via our mobile program. You can text BIKE to 843-627-0007 to get access to our mobile website; alternately, you can scan a QR code which will be posted on a sign at Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. Lastly, you can call us at 843-627-0007 or visit the mobile site directly at www.needabike.info. Be sure to bookmark it!
When you arrive at the mobile site, choose the dates you need your bikes and then review your bike choices, which include cruisers, kids’ bikes, fat tire sand bikes, tandems and more. From within the mobile program, you can also rent bike equipment, including helmets, baskets, kiddie carts and tag-a-longs.
Simply make your selections, enter your contact and payment information and your bike will be delivered directly to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home on the date requested and picked up on the date of return.
The mobile program also provides Hilton Head bike route maps that you can access while on your bike of both the island bike trails and lagoon bike trails.
We hope you like our new Need a Bike mobile booking option. Try it and let us know what you think!
It’s New Year’s so we’re guessing you’ve probably made a few new year’s resolutions for 2013. Health is always at the top of the resolution list so we wanted to encourage you to come on down to Hilton Head and get healthy with a beautiful view!
Here are 5 healthy activities you can do at Palmetto Dunes to support those new year’s resolutions so they don’t get left in the dust:
1) Walk the golf course – We offer three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, each unique and challenging in its own way. When you play one of our courses, instead of opting for the cart, why not walk the course? You’ll burn some extra calories, do your heart some good and more thoroughly enjoy your beautiful surroundings. It might even give you some more quality time with your golfing buddies!
2) Bike the resort – There are many paved paths throughout Palmetto Dunes, and the streets within the resort are also bike friendly. Everyone knows a good bike ride is a great workout, plus you’re more apt to forget you’re exercising as you take in the lovely views at every turn. Instead of driving to Shelter Cove Harbour to shop or dine, why not hop on a bike using our special passageway that lets you avoid crossing Highway 278? We offer Hilton Head bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters for everyone in the family.
3) Try a Zike Bike! Sure, biking is great on its own, but using this unique bike, you’ll get even more of a workout. The Zike Bike is designed as a cross between a bike and an elliptical machine. You use the elliptical movement to power the bike and work your body even harder. Visit Hilton Head Outfitters to try one or rent one on your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Fall in “love” with tennis – When you book a Hilton Head vacation home or Hilton Head vacation villa with Palmetto Dunes, you get two free hours of tennis daily. Be sure to take advantage of that court time to get in a great tennis workout. If you’d like a little more structure, head over to our Hilton Head tennis academy for a variety of lessons, clinics and even a Cardio Tennis class.
5) Paddleboard our lagoon – Pick a sunny winter afternoon and head out on our 11-mile inland lagoon to try the fastest growing watersport, paddleboarding. When paddleboarding, you stand on a board similar to a surf board and use a paddle to navigate your way through the lagoon. The balance and core work required is like no other! Expect washboard abs if you do this sport regularly :).
What’s your favorite way to be healthy at Palmetto Dunes? Please share with us your new year’s resolutions and we’ll suggest some ways we can support them here at the beach. If we can help you plan activities or a vacation to our beautiful resort, please give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy New Year’s!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Remember when you were a kid and you stayed outside from sun up to sun down? Fall is the perfect time to do just that on Hilton Head. With milder temperatures and fewer crowds, fall is a fabulous time to enjoy all the outdoor fun that Hilton Head and Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort have to offer.
Love to be on the water? We have several options for you during your stay. Rent a kayak or canoe to explore Palmetto Dunes’ 11-mile lagoon system by your own power. Choose from single or double kayaks, and a one-, two- or three-person canoe rentals! We like that the canoes and kayaks (generally) have two speeds: paddle and drift. That makes them both a perfect mode of transportation for slowing down to really enjoy the Hilton Head wildlife and the fall weather.
Speaking of paddling, you can also rent a stand up paddleboard during your stay. This sport has quickly grown in popularity and when you’re out there balancing on the water, you’ll see why. It’s peaceful and a workout all at the same time.
Palmetto Dunes also offers several options for you to charter a boat at Shelter Cove Marina for deep-sea or inshore fishing excursions, as well as leisure cruises such as dolphin cruises, sunset cruises, dinner cruises and more.
For land-lubbers, Palmetto Dunes has plenty of activities to keep you outside until dark. We have three world-class golf courses and a top-ranked tennis center featuring 23 clay and two Nova ProBounce courts (six of which are lighted for night play). Don’t forget to check out all of the great Hilton Head vacation packages we offer for you and your group to stay and play golf, tennis and more at special rates this fall.
Like to bike? We have you covered. Simply make a reservation with Hilton Head Outfitters to have bikes delivered right to your hotel or Hilton Head vacation rental on the day you arrive. All you have to do is hop on and ride. Explore Hilton Head by bike in the cooler morning temps and meander the island’s more than 50 miles of public bike trails in the sunny but mild afternoons.
After you’ve enjoyed a day on the water, the courts or the greens, head on over to Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones course, the Dunes House open to resort guests and which boasts ocean views, or Shelter Cove, where you can enjoy waterfront dining -- and meander from shop to shop -- in the beautiful fall weather.
Need help planning your fall Hilton Head vacation or have questions about our outdoor activities? Contact a Vacation Planner for more information or call us at (866) 744-7558.
A long weekend is on the horizon (Yay!). And we can’t think of a better way to spend your days off than on a Labor Day golf getaway to Palmetto Dunes!
Here’s a rundown of the things you can do at this ever popular South Carolina golf resort, including plenty of golf but some other Hilton Head activities, as well:
The Hilton Head Celebrity Golf Tournament kicks off Friday Aug. 31, 2012 at our famed Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course, one of our three world-class golf courses. Since 1979, the annual event has raised more than $3.8 million for well-deserving children’s charities of the South Carolina Lowcountry.
Celebrities at this year’s tournament include actors Richard Schiff of The West Wing and Brian Baumgartner, Kevin from The Office; TV personalities Paul Goodloe of the Weather Channel and Holly Sonders of Golf Channel’s Morning Drive; numerous professional athletes and plenty of South Carolina favorites including Bobby Cremins; and George Rogers, NFL running back, University of South Carolina graduate and 1980 Heisman Trophy winner.
While you won’t be able to play the Jones course Friday (it will be closed for the tournament), you can certainly go and enjoy the festivities! Or you could plan to play one (or both) of the other golf courses at Palmetto Dunes: the George Fazio Course (called the most challenging course in Hilton Head) and the Arthur Hills Course (with 10 holes on the water!). Of course, the Jones course will be back open on Saturday and Sunday.
We also have a special deal right now on Saturday that you can take advantage of while in town. If you book a tee time after 11 a.m. you get half off resort rates if you use code SSSPECIAL12 and book your tee time online here.
While HarbourFest fireworks are over for the season, Shannon Tanner hasn’t gone home yet! Shannon is a family entertainer, who’s been singing and playing music to crowds at Shelter Cove since 1988. Shannon will be performing Friday at 6:30 and 8 p.m. with other live entertainment Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Cappy the Clown will be on hand 6-9 p.m. all weekend and there will be lots of other family activities to do, as well. So bring the whole bunch and experience a new family tradition!
Bike Around Town
Rent a bike from Hilton Head Outfitters, THE place for Hilton Head bike rentals, and explore. Hilton Head Island has more than 50 miles of bike paths that take you beneath live oaks draped with Spanish moss, past creeks and marshes, and close to an assortment of beautiful flowers in bloom.
What’s going on Labor Day weekend at Palmetto Dunes? As you can see, a lot! In addition to the events above, be sure to check out our event calendar for more information on daily tennis clinics, golf demonstrations and after-hours activities at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort! Enjoy your long weekend!
We’ve heard from so many of you who are already counting down the days, weeks or months until you hit the beaches here in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Spring break is right around the corner for most and summer will be right behind! We’re getting just as pumped as y’all about the beach season and to get you even more in the mood, we’ve come up with a list of must-do activities while you’re visiting us at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
One of the most beloved Palmetto Dunes locations, The Dunes House, plans to re-open in late February, just in time to feed the spring breakers and summer vacationers the best fish tacos and drinks around with an unbeatable oceanfront view.
March not only brings us the spring breakers but also the Tennis Welcome Exhibition and Happy Hour and Demo Days. Every Monday night at 5:30 p.m., we get our employees and guests together to enjoy cocktails and lemonade while watching our tennis pros play on Centre Court. If you really enjoy tennis, then our Tuesday 2 p.m. Demo Days is the perfect way to test the newest equipment and ask our pros any technical questions you may have.
Summertime brings lots of activities unique to Palmetto Dunes like stand up paddle boarding and our amazing surf school. Learning to paddle board can be tough in the ocean waves so we provide lessons on our calm 11-mile lagoon system!
Our surf school has taught tons of people to hang-10 over the past few years and it’s back this year to teach a whole new crew. Even if you’ve never even attempted to stand on a board, our instructors will have you surfing before you know it. Just check out these young surfers.
We can’t wait to see you all this year and hope you’ll enjoy all the Palmetto Dunes classics, while also trying a new activity or event! Oh, and you might have so much fun that you see fireworks!
January is the month where many Americans are gung-ho with their list of New Year’s resolutions. Lots of people are hitting the gym and checking out the health food isles at the grocery store, but we’ve also heard many people say they also resolve to spend more time with family. If you’ve been trying to get your immediate, or extended, family together for a while or want to plan a family reunion, why get the gang together at Palmetto Dunes?
Between our beautiful homes and villas, three world-renowned golf courses, tennis, bikes, fishing, shopping and the beach, every person in your family will be happy and entertained. What many people don’t realize when deciding where to stay Hilton Head is that when you stay with Palmetto Dunes, you get the best deals available on all the activities at the resort, as well as lagoon activities and boat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour. You also get two free hours of tennis time each day!
Shelter Cove Harbour, just across the road from the resort, is also a great place to take the fam, because there are plentiful restaurants to enjoy each night and a variety of shops to peruse. Our group planners can even help create a special dinner at The Dunes House or a more formal party to celebrate your family reunion.
So, ring up your family, start matching up calendars and settle on a date. Then give us a ring at 866-744-7558 or click here and we’ll handle the rest.
We hope to see your whole gang here soon!
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
Most people will start 2012 with a list of resolutions like:
We’d like to offer you a resolution list that’s not only more fun to achieve but also gives you tasks you can complete with your friends or family.
We hope these resolutions spice up your usual list and that on the very top of your 2012 list it says: Plan a Palmetto Dunes vacation! Happy New Year and we hope to see you all in 2012!
While most of the country is bundling up and sitting by their fireplaces, here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we’re out and about playing in 70-degree weather. From tennis and golf to fishing and kayaking, the activities don’t slow down here in Hilton Head when winter rolls in. To keep our winter visitors, active we’ve got some great seasonal deals for the tennis, golf or outdoors fanatic.
Hilton Head Outfitters is offering unlimited biking, kayaking and canoeing throughout the winter. For $49 per person you can rent a bike for the whole month or you can buy a bike for 25% off! Guests can also buy a year membership for $300 per couple or $199 per person, and enjoy unlimited kayak and canoe rentals!
Winter is actually the best time to start fishing in our lagoon system, because red fish, speckled sea trout and sheephead are bountiful. Head on over to Shelter Cove Harbour to take one of the many fishing charters with Captain Trent Malphrus. You’re sure to reel in a big one!
If tennis is more up your alley, you can purchase a monthly membership through February for only $200 per person that includes two hours of court time per day. Finally, if you’d like to play with us AND stay with us, we’ve got a 30-night resort accommodations package that includes golf, bikes, kayaks and tennis starting at only $1,200 per person. We think that’s a deal!
Call us 866-744-7558 and find out all the ways you can save this winter season!
If you’ve ever been to Hilton Head, then you know the most common form of transportation is bike! This 2-wheeled ride and Christmas have a long history together, as the bicycle is one of the most common items on a child’s wish list for Santa.
Hilton Head Outfitters has the new craze in bikes that’s on lots of kids’ lists this year. It’s called Zike! The Zike combines a normal bike with the workout of an elliptical machine. These super kid-friendly bikes have been featured on The View and Extra.
You can get the Zike in 4 different versions:
All these versions come in multiple colors, including blue, green, red, yellow and more. If a bike is on your child’s Christmas list this year, why not try something different and fun with the Zike?! We guarantee they will have a speedy good time.
It might be freezing outside and you’re thinking more about wearing scarves than swimsuits but this Christmas why not get the family a present that will warm everyone’s heart? A trip to Hilton Head Island!
Here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort you can find the perfect home or villa located near the ocean, golf course or lagoon depending on how your loved ones want to spend their vacation.
2118 Windsor Place has an oceanfront view and plenty of space for your whole family. The large open balcony is a great place to drink your coffee in the morning or wind down at night to the sound of tbhe ocean breeze. Enjoy views of the ocean from your private balcony overlooking an oceanfront pool with a spa, barbecue area and children's pool.
We know that many families love to gather in the kitchen and this unit has a spacious kitchen that’s open to the living and dining room. Another great feature is that all four bedrooms have their own private bathroom, making it easy for everyone to clean up and get ready after a day in the sand. The Arthur Hills golf course is a short walk away for all the golfers in the family, and you can enjoy two hours of free tennis court time each day you stay with us!
So call us now at 866-744-7558 and get the whole family a gift they will truly enjoy. Also, when you book early, you’re eligible for some really amazing deals!
You work hard to stay in shape when you’re at home, and you certainly don’t want to let all that hard work go to waste by stopping on vacation. No worries. When you come to Palmetto Dunes, we’ve got you covered. Hilton Head Island is the perfect place to run, bike or even try something new, like beachfront yoga! Here are some options to help you return with the same, or better, beach bod that you arrived with:
Hilton Head Outfitters offers a wide variety of bicycles to rent. Guests can bike through the smooth streets, which are perfect for a calm, breezy ride. If you’re up for more of a challenge, try a vigorous ride on the beach, which can burn up to 500 calories an hour! Another Palmetto Dunes activity that really gets the blood flowing is Cardio Tennis!
If you are a yoga enthusiast, you’ve got plenty to choose from. With many yoga studios around the island, you’re sure to find the right fit! Our favorite is oceanfront yoga. What could be a better workout than practicing poses with the waves crashing serenely in the background? Beach Yoga is available in front of the Dunes House on Palmetto Dunes taught by Pamela Eaton.
If you’re interested in visiting a more traditional gym, there are several on the island to try. We have an Anytime Fitness, Beach City Health and Fitness and Players Club Fitness Center to name a few. But, if you’re looking for an awesome challenge we suggest trying CrossFit. Our own tennis maven, Jackie, attends each morning and highly recommends it!
So whether you’re into tennis, biking, running or lifting here in Hilton Head Island, we’ve got all you need to get your sweat on! Let us know if you try any of our suggestions and how they “work out”.
If you’ve ever been to Hilton Head or seen a picture, you know that biking is a huge part of our island life. With more than 5 miles of bike paths in Palmetto Dunes and more than 50 miles of paths on the whole island, it’s no surprise Hilton Head was recently awarded the Silver level Bicycle Friendly Community award from the League of American Bicyclists.
Only 130 communities across the country have received this award, and we are only one of three resort communities on the East Coast who boast the silver level honor!
Here at Palmetto Dunes we rent more than 4,000 bikes a week in the peak summer months at Hilton Head Outfitters and it’s one of the most popular activities at the resort. As soon you turn into our gates, you’ll likely spot lots of folks enjoying the natural beauty of the resort on bike. You can also rent helmets, seats, lights and other accessories at Outfitters.
The next time you’re in town make sure you see Hilton Head by bike and enjoy one of the most bike-friendly communities in the country!
When you think of Hilton Head Island, what comes to mind? Beautiful beaches? Relaxing getaway? We want you to think lots and lots of stuff to do when you think of Hilton Head, and especially Palmetto Dunes.