You just can’t head to the beach without a good book! We’ve picked some of the latest books from our favorite best-selling authors who either live in or write about the Lowcountry to give you the perfect beach read list for your visit to Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Hurricane Sisters: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank – A very popular writer and New York Times bestselling author, Dorothea Benton Frank tells another Lowcountry tale, this time focusing on three generations of women and the “hurricanes” in each of their lives.
2) The Stories We Tell by Patti Callahan Henry – In this southern tale to be released on June 24, Henry follows the drama of a fictional Savannah power couple and their family.
3) The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe – The latest from Mary Alice Monroe, and the second in the Lowcountry Summer Trilogy, “The Summer Wind” continues the heartwarming story of three half-sisters and their grandmother as they rediscover their Southern roots and family bonds.
4) The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd – Selected for Oprah’s Book Club, “The Invention of Wings” by “The Secret Life of Bees” author Sue Monk Kidd chronicles the life of an urban slave in 19th century Charleston and the daughter of the wealthy family for whom she serves as a waiting maid.
5) Return to Tradd Street by Karen White – Debuting on the New York Times bestsellers list at No. 6, “Return to Tradd Street” takes place in Charleston and offers an element of the paranormal. It tells of a new mother, who happens to be a psychic, and the mystery of a ghostly infant crying.
What book are you most looking forward to reading this summer?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head Island vacation to our 3 miles of beautiful beach, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
The time between Christmas and Valentine’s is one of the most popular times of year to get engaged, so we know many of you are planning your summer and fall weddings right now. If a beach wedding is something you’ve always dreamed about, consider Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort to host your nuptials.
At Palmetto Dunes, we offer several venues, including the oceanfront Dunes House, which offers dining facilities for your reception after you tie the knot with your toes in the sand. A FoxNews article also recently featured our unique option to get married on our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones golf course. Ride in on a golf cart, write your name in the sand trap and celebrate your new last name as it waves on a flag in the famed 10th hole.
Brides have wonderful things to say about their beach weddings at Palmetto Dunes. One bride wrote recently on WeddingWire.com:
“…our experience at Palmetto Dunes was a very positive one! At any point through the wedding planning if we had a question or concern we would email or call, and within hours, we would have a response. This was really helpful because trying to plan a wedding in a different state can seem to be a little overwhelming. I strongly recommend having your wedding at Palmetto Dunes Resort.”
Our oceanfront Hilton Head weddings are truly gorgeous, too. To feast your eyes on some past beach weddings at the resort, take a peek at our Hilton Head weddings Pinterest board. It just might help you envision what your dream day will look like:
Follow Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort's board Hilton Head Weddings on Pinterest.
Or browse our wedding photo gallery for some ideas for your perfect wedding day at Palmetto Dunes.
Palmetto Dunes provides catering, both wedding and reception venues, activities for bridesmaids and groomsmen, Hilton Head honeymoon packages and lots more!
Want more information? Request a wedding proposal or give Lindsay, our catering and events sales manager a call directly at 866-650-4130. Here’s to your happy ever after… on the beach!
One of the best parts of Palmetto Dunes? Its beauty! And the best way to show that off, besides being here in person, is through photography. That’s why we decided that Pinterest is a great fit for our resort – it allows us to share our beautiful library of photos, which we add to daily, with the crowds that are gathering on Pinterest every day.
After a long dreary winter, it’s a great escape to hop on Pinterest and view pic after pic of warm weather locales, ocean views, sunsets, beach vistas and more. Of course, we’ve loaded plenty of those up for you on our Beach at Palmetto Dunes board on Pinterest.
Are you a tennis fan? Then you’ll “love” our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center board with all things tennis, including quotes, videos, articles and more.
Be sure to join in all the fun we’re having on Pinterest! Follow our profile and your favorite boards to stay close to the beach all year long.
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, it’s just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home – Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities – Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by booking Hilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Sure, a week is a great vacation to Hilton Head but a month is even better. Not that you needed any more reasons to visit us, but we’ve listed 5 of our top reasons to extend your stay at Palmetto Dunes to at least a month:
1) Play unlimited golf! What’s better than a round of golf? Unlimited rounds of golf! With our Monthly Golf Membership, you can play all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses as much as you want for an entire month. Choose between our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course, the Arthur Hills course or the George Fazio course.
2) Ride your bike on all 50 miles of paved island paths. Did you know you could pedal 50 miles across our island? Spend more than a week and see if you can master it all! With monthly Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, you’ll be set with any kind of bike you like, including their new comfort bike, cruisers, kids bikes and more.
3) Get to “love” tennis, if you don’t already. When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The longer you stay, the more tennis you can play!
4) Kayak to your heart’s content! Palmetto Dunes is home to a beautiful and peaceful 11-mile saltwater inland lagoon system that winds throughout the resort and our golf courses. Get weekly kayak or canoe rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters to enjoy the peaceful beauty of the lagoon, or if you plan to stay several months, consider the affordable yearly membership. See how many birds you can spot in the lagoon during your stay and watch for other wildlife, as well, like a friendly otter who likes to splash around our lagoon.
5) Try lots of Hilton Head restaurants. Here on the island we offer wonderful dining from ethic foods to fresh seafood to gourmet meals with beautiful views. Some suggestions include Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones Clubhouse, the beachfront Dunes House (open seasonally to resort guests and property owners), Ela’s Blu Water Grille with harbour views at Shelter Cove Harbour and San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, also at Shelter Cove.
If you want to do ALL these things on your visit to Palmetto Dunes, consider our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership. It gets you a 30-night stay in a Hilton Head resort villa, 30 days of unlimited golf and bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time daily, plus plenty of time to walk on the beach.
For more information about any of these memberships or packages, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
It’s New Year’s so we’re guessing you’ve probably made a few new year’s resolutions for 2013. Health is always at the top of the resolution list so we wanted to encourage you to come on down to Hilton Head and get healthy with a beautiful view!
Here are 5 healthy activities you can do at Palmetto Dunes to support those new year’s resolutions so they don’t get left in the dust:
1) Walk the golf course – We offer three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, each unique and challenging in its own way. When you play one of our courses, instead of opting for the cart, why not walk the course? You’ll burn some extra calories, do your heart some good and more thoroughly enjoy your beautiful surroundings. It might even give you some more quality time with your golfing buddies!
2) Bike the resort – There are many paved paths throughout Palmetto Dunes, and the streets within the resort are also bike friendly. Everyone knows a good bike ride is a great workout, plus you’re more apt to forget you’re exercising as you take in the lovely views at every turn. Instead of driving to Shelter Cove Harbour to shop or dine, why not hop on a bike using our special passageway that lets you avoid crossing Highway 278? We offer Hilton Head bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters for everyone in the family.
3) Try a Zike Bike! Sure, biking is great on its own, but using this unique bike, you’ll get even more of a workout. The Zike Bike is designed as a cross between a bike and an elliptical machine. You use the elliptical movement to power the bike and work your body even harder. Visit Hilton Head Outfitters to try one or rent one on your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Fall in “love” with tennis – When you book a Hilton Head vacation home or Hilton Head vacation villa with Palmetto Dunes, you get two free hours of tennis daily. Be sure to take advantage of that court time to get in a great tennis workout. If you’d like a little more structure, head over to our Hilton Head tennis academy for a variety of lessons, clinics and even a Cardio Tennis class.
5) Paddleboard our lagoon – Pick a sunny winter afternoon and head out on our 11-mile inland lagoon to try the fastest growing watersport, paddleboarding. When paddleboarding, you stand on a board similar to a surf board and use a paddle to navigate your way through the lagoon. The balance and core work required is like no other! Expect washboard abs if you do this sport regularly :).
What’s your favorite way to be healthy at Palmetto Dunes? Please share with us your new year’s resolutions and we’ll suggest some ways we can support them here at the beach. If we can help you plan activities or a vacation to our beautiful resort, please give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy New Year’s!
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
10Best readers have it right: Hilton Head Island’s beaches are awesome. The travel website recently released its list of the 10Best beaches in the U.S., chosen by the readers, and Hilton Head was ranked No. 2! Vacationers ranked Hilton Head above beaches in California, Florida and Hawaii!
From sunrise yoga to bike rides at sunset and everything in between, Hilton Head beaches are the perfect place to spend a vacation. This barrier island has 12 miles of gorgeous beach, three of which are located within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
If you really study the beach itself, you’ll notice Hilton Head’s beaches are uninterrupted and wide. In addition to soft sand, the lower part – closest to the water – is hard-packed and perfect for building sandcastles, a game of Frisbee, running, walking or riding a bike.
Palmetto Dunes takes great care of the 3 miles of pristine beaches located at the resort. We invigorated our beaches using tons of sand dredged from our 11-mile lagoon system and Shelter Cove Marina.
We also offer lots of “toys” for our guests to enjoy on the beach, including surfboards, boogie boards, bicycles and more. Also on the property is the Dunes House, a public access beach facility located midway down the 3-mile stretch of beach. It features a deck, resort beach restrooms and limited parking for resort guests.
At Palmetto Dunes, even golfers can still enjoy the beach while at play. Our Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course (one of three courses on the resort) is one of only two oceanfront holes on Hilton Head Island. Its signature hole, the par-five 10th, offers an amazing view of one of the 10Best beaches in the nation.
As you enjoy the sand and surf, there are several regulations by the town of Hilton Head to keep in mind. The following are not permitted: alcohol, glass bottles/containers, littering, fires and fireworks and shark fishing.
We also want to protect these amazing beaches, so please be careful to throw your trash away in provided receptacles and please stay away from the sand dunes and sea oats, as well as other dune flora. Remember to leave any live animals and beach fauna you find alone, which includes sand dollars, starfish and conchs. Also, please turn out your beachfront lights to help make sure the baby sea turtles make their way out to sea.
We’d love to help you plan an amazing vacation at one of the 10Best beaches in the nation, so feel free to visit our website for details on Palmetto Dunes Resort’s Hilton Head vacation homes and villas, activities and amenities, or call us at (866) 744-7558.
How cool would it be to tell friends and family you learned to surf while on your summer Hilton Head vacation? Maybe even throw around a little lingo, “The waves were waist to head high and glassy.”
The experts at Hilton Head Outfitters at Palmetto Dunes will teach you everything you need to know during a week-long Surf School, from how to paddle and pop-up, to picking the right wave and finding your balance while riding a frothy white wave into shore.
With an emphasis on safety and the basic fundamentals, Hilton Head Outfitters’ surf school is held throughout the summer. The Hilton Head surfing school specializes in teaching kids to surf, but the camp is open to all ages. Entire families have even signed up!
Each day, you’ll spend one and a half hours on the beach in a small group session ($80 p/p). You also can choose from a private lesson for one-on-one instruction ($125 p/p). The staff will help you choose between 7-foot and 9-foot soft-top boards, which are better for learning than a hard fiber glass board.
While on the sand, instructors like Captain Logan will help you learn the basics of paddling out and popping up on the board. They’ll show you the perfect positioning for your feet and work on your balance.
When you’re ready to hit the waves, rest assured, the camp is held in shallow water, which is perfect for youngsters. Wipeouts are totally part of the experience, but when you get in the zone and ride in that first wave, it will be an experience you’ll never forget … and a story you’ll probably tell for ages. Recent surf campers have even been doing headstands on paddleboards and riding tandem together!
Registration is required, but you just need to call (866) 650-4132 to reserve your spots. Need a little more information and inspiration? Watch this fun video below about the camp. You’ll be ready to hang 10 for sure!
What does Palmetto Dunes have that other resorts don’t? Three miles of sandy Hilton Head Island beach on the Atlantic Ocean and great weather that lets you take advantage of it nearly year round. We also give you plenty of ways to enjoy the beach, whether it’s views from your Hilton Head vacation home or rental, dining options on the beach or activities from biking to surfing to keep you busy throughout your Hilton Head getaway.
There are plenty of access points to reach the beach, either from the residential areas as you pedal around or from our resort facilities. One of our favorite ways to enjoy—and access--the beach is the Dunes House, which is centrally located Palmetto Dunes and open to guests of the resort. In addition to casual food and drinks with one of the best dining views on the island, you’ll also find restrooms and limited parking. We suggest you call the Dunes Buggy for a free ride to the Dunes House!
Biking is also another great way to enjoy the beach at Palmetto Dunes. Get some exercise and enjoy beautiful views of the ocean at the same time. Try going for a ride at sunrise or sunset for a particularly inspiring experience. If you don’t want to lug your bikes with you down to Hilton Head, you can rent them from Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. They’ll have them delivered direct to your home and villa so they’re ready to ride as soon as you arrive. Hilton Head Outfitters offers a range of bikes and options, and we’d suggest trying their fat tire bikes which are designed for easier beach riding.
At Palmetto Dunes, you can also surf and fish at the beach. We offer surfing classes at our Hilton Head Surf School and surf board rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters. We also have everything a fisherman needs for a great day of fishing. Rent your rod and reel online and head into the Outfitters store just inside the resort to pick up bait or anything else you might need before you head out.
Or go for a more relaxed approach. Kick back, enjoy the sounds of the ocean and send the kids out to build a sand castle, but keeping a close eye on them, of course. Check out a few tips for a safe trip to the beach. Beach games are also lots of fun and we have some great beach game suggestions to keep the whole family entertained.
Whether you’d rather dash into the waves, laze in the sand or cruise along the shore on a beach bike, when it comes to the beach at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we think it’s pretty much perfect.
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort has many Hilton Head vacation villas and homes from which to choose, but don’t get overwhelmed. Our accommodations listings can help you pick the locations, size and dates you need to find the perfect place to base your Hilton Head Island vacation.
In this post, we’ll introduce you to 257 Captains Quarters in Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina. Imagine yourself relaxing on beautiful Hilton Head Island, just a bike ride away from the beach in the comfort of a beautiful villa.
This villa has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and room for up to six people, so bring the whole family! It’s fully furnished with a well-equipped kitchen for a breakfast before you head out to play a round of golf, a quick lunch break from the beach or even a dinner in. Relax on the balcony that overlooks Broad Creek with your favorite beach read or stroll over to Shelter Cove Marina and its many restaurants, shops and live nightly entertainment. You can also enjoy the community pool, tennis courts or hot tub.
When you’re ready to roam a little further, hop on the Dunes Buggy for a free ride to one of our three golf courses, the tennis center or Dunes House restaurant and beach access for resort guests.
Plus, any time you choose to rent your vacation home or villa through Palmetto Dunes, we throw in two hours of tennis court time daily and we give you the best rates on all our activities from bike rentals to rounds of golf.
A cozy, comfortable place ideally located on Hilton Head Island is perfect foundation for a great vacation at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. It’s a wonderful place to call home, even if just for a few days. Enjoy!
The people of Hilton Head have worked hard to preserve the beautiful beaches and landscape and it’s apparent in the amount of wildlife that inhabit our Island. From the ocean to the lagoon to the marsh, there are amazing creatures that love Hilton Head as much as we do! Let us give you a sneak peek into some of the wildlife you could come across on your next vacation.
When you get off your plane or out of your car, look to the sky and you’re sure to see birds everywhere. From seagulls to the beautiful ibis, Hilton Head is full of winged friends. Shelter Cove Harbour and other piers will have brown pelicans waiting to glide above the water looking for a small fish dinner. While sun tanning or playing on the beach, you’re likely to see large birds like ospreys or even bald eagles.
Spot a Gator, But Leave Him Alone
One of the beset known reptiles on Hilton Head is the alligator. They mainly live within lagoon systems so we’ve seen quite a few here at Palmetto Dunes, but if you leave them alone, they won’t bother you. You might even see one lazing in the sun off the side of one of our golf courses.
A Rainbow of Fish
The lagoon is also full of large, beautiful fish, such as red fish, trout, bluefish, black drum, flounder and even tarpon. The smooth, calm waters of the lagoon system make fishing and crabbing excursions fun and successful at the same time.
The Friendly Dolphin
Head into the big water on one of our dolphin cruises to catch a glimpse of their majestic beauty. Many of our dolphins are very people friendly and may swim alongside the boat or come up to the boat for a bite to eat. We’ve even heard tales of dolphins coming right up to people in our marsh creeks. You could swim with dolphins without even planning it! But always remember, they are wild animals.
Turtles and More
During the spring and early summer, if you walk the beach at night you might see a loggerhead momma turtle waddling up to the dunes creating a nest for her babies. Hilton Head has laws to protect the little guys and to make sure they have a safe hatching season and can make it to the ocean.
There are plenty more animals on the Island, like deer, frogs, toads and plenty of crustaceans. So the next time you’re here, take a minute to look around you and enjoy all the wildlife surrounding you on our beautiful island.
The March issue of Tennis Magazine named Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 Tennis Center in the Carolinas and we couldn’t be more thrilled! The magazine considers the quality of tennis instruction, number of courts and clinics provided in determining the rankings. They also take into account the lodging, dining and other amenities that are included with your tennis vacation.
Our 25 courts -- 23 clay and 2 Nova pro bounce , 7 of which are lighted for night play -- made it to the top spot beating out several resorts in North and South Carolina. Beyond the quality and number of courts, Tennis Magazine called out our wide variety of tennis lessons and clinics. From our Junior Programs, such as our Short Shorts Clinic, to our Daily Round Robins, we have lessons and programs for the whole family. Plus, last year, we added a shortened court for children’s play to follow new tournament regulations.
Between February and November, our tennis center will play host to nine tournaments, bringing some amazing talent to Hilton Head Island.
Beyond all the courts, classes and tournaments here at Palmetto Dunes, we also offer two hours of free tennis court time daily to all our resort homes or villas guests, in addition to giving them the best deals on activities within the resort.
We’re so proud of our wonderful tennis team and look forward to hosting you for the perfect Hilton Head tennis vacation at the best tennis resort in the Carolinas!
From the golf course to where to eat and drink we’ve compiled tips and information from the staff at Palmetto Dunes to help you get the most out of your visit to our resort.
If you’ve never stayed with us before, feel free to ask us any questions you have by emailing email@example.com or you can “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and we’ll answer your questions there.
Do you have a great tip for visiting Palmetto Dunes?
We’ve heard from so many of you who are already counting down the days, weeks or months until you hit the beaches here in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Spring break is right around the corner for most and summer will be right behind! We’re getting just as pumped as y’all about the beach season and to get you even more in the mood, we’ve come up with a list of must-do activities while you’re visiting us at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
One of the most beloved Palmetto Dunes locations, The Dunes House, plans to re-open in late February, just in time to feed the spring breakers and summer vacationers the best fish tacos and drinks around with an unbeatable oceanfront view.
March not only brings us the spring breakers but also the Tennis Welcome Exhibition and Happy Hour and Demo Days. Every Monday night at 5:30 p.m., we get our employees and guests together to enjoy cocktails and lemonade while watching our tennis pros play on Centre Court. If you really enjoy tennis, then our Tuesday 2 p.m. Demo Days is the perfect way to test the newest equipment and ask our pros any technical questions you may have.
Summertime brings lots of activities unique to Palmetto Dunes like stand up paddle boarding and our amazing surf school. Learning to paddle board can be tough in the ocean waves so we provide lessons on our calm 11-mile lagoon system!
Our surf school has taught tons of people to hang-10 over the past few years and it’s back this year to teach a whole new crew. Even if you’ve never even attempted to stand on a board, our instructors will have you surfing before you know it. Just check out these young surfers.
We can’t wait to see you all this year and hope you’ll enjoy all the Palmetto Dunes classics, while also trying a new activity or event! Oh, and you might have so much fun that you see fireworks!
When most people think about Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort they think about the beautiful beaches, three amazing golf courses, miles of paved bike paths and exceptional tennis. While we’re incredibly proud to be known for all of these activities, we also want you to take advantage of our many sailboat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour just across the road. We have two exquisite sailboats and three fun filled cruises that will please the whole family.
The Schooner “Welcome” offers a variety of options, including a relaxing sunset cocktail and hors d’oeuvres cruise ideal for catching the marsh breeze and enjoying the amazing views of Hilton Head. For those interested in the wildlife surrounding our island, the Eco Cruise is for you. Hitting the seas each afternoon allows you to encounter a wide variety of marine wildlife like sea turtles, marsh birds and majestic dolphins. Finally, the “Welcome” provides a fun-filled family experience with the Pirates Adventure Cruise. Sail the high seas with a pirate as your guide while learning to hoist the sails and steer the ship. Ahoy matey, it’s a good time indeed!
If you’re looking for a more private sailboat charter, we have the smaller 40-foot “Special-K”. Take your time sailing around Hilton Head Island with an experienced captain and crew. Whether you’re interested in learning more about how to sail or you want to surprise your spouse with a romantic private ride, the “Special-K” is a great choice.
The next time you’re in Hilton Head consider taking an adventure to the high seas and come aboard one of our fabulous sailboat charters!
January is the month where many Americans are gung-ho with their list of New Year’s resolutions. Lots of people are hitting the gym and checking out the health food isles at the grocery store, but we’ve also heard many people say they also resolve to spend more time with family. If you’ve been trying to get your immediate, or extended, family together for a while or want to plan a family reunion, why get the gang together at Palmetto Dunes?
Between our beautiful homes and villas, three world-renowned golf courses, tennis, bikes, fishing, shopping and the beach, every person in your family will be happy and entertained. What many people don’t realize when deciding where to stay Hilton Head is that when you stay with Palmetto Dunes, you get the best deals available on all the activities at the resort, as well as lagoon activities and boat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour. You also get two free hours of tennis time each day!
Shelter Cove Harbour, just across the road from the resort, is also a great place to take the fam, because there are plentiful restaurants to enjoy each night and a variety of shops to peruse. Our group planners can even help create a special dinner at The Dunes House or a more formal party to celebrate your family reunion.
So, ring up your family, start matching up calendars and settle on a date. Then give us a ring at 866-744-7558 or click here and we’ll handle the rest.
We hope to see your whole gang here soon!
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
We know that many of you are experiencing chilling temperatures, snowy skies and icy roads. While we can’t make it summer any earlier and we can’t raise the temperatures to the lovely mild days we’re experiencing here on Hilton Head, we can give you live updates and visuals of the beach every day! We have two webcams set up on the resort, one at The Dunes House and the other at The Robert Trent Jones Golf Course.
If you’re in need of a little golf action on a cold day, check out the webcam at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. This beautiful course was renovated in 2002 to reshape fairways, trees, greens and bunkers. We were also able to improve the natural draining of the course by linking it to our 11-mile lagoon system. The Jones Course has 11 holes that run by the lagoon and 10th hole has a spectacular view of the ocean! This webcam is sure to make you want to pack up your clubs and head down to Hilton Head.
If you’ve had a rough week and need a minute of rest and relaxation from work, then check out The Dunes House webcam. The Dunes House is known for their awesome fish tacos and amazing view of the ocean. This webcam is situated in the perfect place to give you a view of guests enjoying lunch and watching the waves rolling in! If you’re a romantic, check this webcam on the weekends for a chance to see a wedding happening live on the beach!
We want to bring you a little piece of Hilton Head and all that Palmetto Dunes has to offer whenever you want it by maintaining these webcams. The best part is the next time you’re here you can tell your family or friends to tune in to see what a great time you’re having on vacation!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner so why not get your love something different this year? Forget the extravagant floral arrangements, the chocolate and stuffed animals and think about a romantic retreat to Hilton Head, South Carolina. We’ve worked out an amazing package for all the love birds out there and it’s the perfect getaway for Valentine’s Day.
This package includes:
You and your honey will be relaxed, rejuvenated and in love with the fact that you can do all these activities without ever leaving our resort. This romantic package provides relaxation, adventure and wonderful accommodations. We look forward to making your Valentine’s Day the best it’s ever been!
It’s said that 1 in 5 grooms propose to their wife each holiday season. With all the love and joy in the air between Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year’s, it’s no surprise to us! If you’re one of the lucky couples who’ve decided to head to wedded bliss this holiday season, you might want to consider a Hilton Head wedding as the perfect place to tie the knot.
Whether you want a quiet beachfront affair surrounded by close friends and family or a lavish event in a beautifully-decorated venue with hundred of guests, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort can help. Anne Graves, our catering and events manager can make your wedding dreams come true. If you’d like to see some of the beautiful Palmetto Dunes weddings we’ve had throughout the resort, take a look at our online testimonials.
We also encourage you to keep connected with us on Facebook and Twitter as one bride, Marie, did. She was able to ask questions each day the week in advance of her Hilton Head wedding on Twitter, tweet us updates on the excitement while they were in town and then post all their amazing pictures on Facebook and Twitter to share with our online family. We enjoyed Marie’s wedding both online and offline!
We hope to hear from all you newly-engaged couples so we can help create your dream wedding. Please give Anne a call at 866.650.4130 or you can fill out a request form. Happy wedding planning from all of us at Palmetto Dunes!
We thought it would be fun to share a little bit of history about the resort that so many of you call home, home away from home or vacation heaven.
It all started for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort back in 1967 with the first major project being the development of the lagoon system. One year later, in 1968, development began on our championship Robert Trent Jones golf course
The early 70’s brought the addition of the Inn Villas, Beach Villas, Water Oak Villas, the Chimney Cove development and the groundbreaking of the Hyatt Hotel. In 1973, the Fazio course was started and the Jones pro shop was expanded. The following year our wonderful Tennis Center was completed and the end of the 70’s allowed us to finish Ocean Cove Villas, Turnberry Village and the Fazio Tennis Courts. We ended the decade with the acquisition by Greenwood Development Corporation.
The 80’s brought more growth in our accommodation arena by adding Captain’s Walk, Captain’s Cove, St. Andrew’s Common and more. In 1980 construction began on Shelter Cove Marina, making it an exciting year for us! Three years later came the dedication of Shelter Cove Harbour and the popular King Neptune sundial, the largest working figurative sundial in the world... In 1986, the Arthur Hills Course opened, completing our acclaimed, award-winning golf trifecta.
Over the past ten years, the resort built a new Tennis Center in 2001, and in 2002, the Robert Trent Jones course was completely renovated.
Look how far we’ve come since 1967! Who knows what will be in our future, but we look forward to all the great things to come and providing our guests with more activities than ever.
Reel in the right holiday gift this year for the fishing fanatic in your life. The Palmetto Dunes Ships Store has the perfect fishing shirt: Bonehead by Columbia. The Bonehead collection is made of cotton poplin, creating that lived-in comfort feeling. It also features mesh-lined vents on the shoulders to help keep you cool when you’re reeling in the big one!
For those super sunny fishing days, you can always use the hook and loop on the collar to keep the sun off your neck. If all these features aren’t enough, there’s also a hook and loop closed fly pocket at the chest, a utility loop, a rod holder loop and a tool holder all on this shirt to help keep your hands free to work with your rod lines and lures.
This amazing shirt is available for men and women, short and long sleeve and in several colors. If you order or pick up this gift before December 31, you can also take advantage of a 20% discount at The Ships Store.
Stocking Stuffer Special: If you need a fishing stocking stuffer to go with the Bonehead shirt by Columbia, you should pick up a Tervis tumbler. We have a large selection of cups, lids and handles here in Hilton Head!
We don’t want your vacation in Hilton Head to feel like an episode of Gilligan’s Island or Lost. We know that sometimes it can be confusing to get around the Island, and we want to provide you with the best Hilton Head maps to help you navigate the perfect vacation.
If you’re looking for a general map of Hilton Head Island, try the Chamber. Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and Shelter Cove Harbour are located directly in the middle of Hilton Head Island off of 278 West. Once you make it in the resort, the Welcome Center can provide you with helpful maps of the resort, Shelter Cove or directions to any location on the Island.
For those who want to prepare in advance, we have several maps that will let you know your location at all times. If you’re staying with us at Palmetto Dunes, we have maps for each section of the resort from the villas at Windsor Place to Captains Quarters. If you’re coming to participate in many of the activities, we provide this map can help you get to all three golf courses, Hilton Head Outfitters and even the Conference Centers. We even have a special map for all the bikers out there outlining all the biking trails on the entire Island!
So the next time you’re here don’t spend any of your time wondering how to get to Shelter Cove Harbour or The Dunes House, let us do the work for you!
There are so many things to be thankful for here in Hilton Head, South Carolina. The gorgeous weather, the beach, fishing, biking, great golf and tennis and all the amazing people! If you’re looking to skip the early snow this year and have a warm Thanksgiving, come celebrate with us at Palmetto Dunes. The average temperature here in November is upper 60’s to mid 70’s, making it great weather to hit one of our three golf courses, walk the beach or to play tennis all day!
Thanksgiving Day will be celebrated in a big way at our beach front restaurant, The Dunes House! On Thanksgiving, Nov. 25, from 11 am - 5 pm you can enjoy a huge Thanksgiving buffet your grandmother would be proud of. You can also pre-order a meal for carry-out. Just call us at 843-686-9623 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The best part is you don’t have to cook or clean up when you’re done!
The buffet is $27.95 per person plus tax and gratuity and $13.95 for kids 12 and younger. Here is the menu for Turkey Day:
Thanksgiving Menu at The Dunes House:
Mix Greens Salad with House Dressings
New England Clam Chowder
Citrus Brined Deep Fried Tom Turkey
Oven Roasted Organic Free Range Turkey
Corn Bread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Honey Glazed Baked Bone in Spiral Ham
Miss Liz's Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
Garlic Mash Yukon Gold Potatoes
Fennel and Rosemary Crusted Prime Rib
Desserts include: Frankie Mae's Famous Pumpkin Pie, Keylime Pie,
Southern Bourban Pecan Pie, Sweet Potatoe Pie and Cookies.
Regular menu will not be served at this time.
We’ll also be hosting a holiday kick-off celebration the day after Thanksgiving and we’ll be sharing information soon with all the details. Whether you join us or celebrate at home, happy Turkey Day!
Are your kids dreaming of their spring or summer spent at Palmetto Dunes? Reading a book about the beach is a great way to bring those memories to mind, while encouraging a love of reading at the same time.
Head to the library or the bookstore and turn it into a fun outing as you look for your “beach book.” Here are a few children’s books set at the beach that we highly recommend.
So cozy up with your little ones this fall and dream of days at beach. Happy reading!
Vacation is all about relaxation. Wondering where to wind down on Hilton Head? We’ve got all the info you need on spas in the area and the best packages and treatments!
At Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you can choose from many vacation packages that include relaxing massages, facials or manicures. If your main goal is playing golf in the morning and chilling out all afternoon, then our “Tee for Two” package is a great choice. We also have all the spa treatments you could dream of in our “Silver Celebration” and “Romantic Retreat” packages.
If you’re staying with us and looking for a quick fix, there are many options within the resort or close by. Try the Spa Soleil at the Marriot Hilton Head right here in Palmetto Dunes. They even have a teen spa, which makes for a perfect mother-daughter getaway. The Hilton Hotel also has a phenomenal spa in house that’s worth the walk or bike ride.
So the next time you’re staying at Palmetto Dunes, take a little time for yourself and escape to the spa.
The weather is starting to cool down which means it’s a great time to get a group of friends or bring your loved one on a golf getaway here at Palmetto Dunes. There’s no better time to play golf than in the fall here in South Carolina. We have tons of beautiful Hilton Head rental homes and villas that overlook one of our three award winning golf courses but 951 Inverness is a must-see villa!
Remodeled in 2009 and situated on the 12th hole of the George Fazio course, this three-bedroom, three- bath villa is perfect for a group or a family. After a morning on the fairways you can cool off in the community pool that’s only a short walk from your villa or chill out by watching TV on the flat screen in the living room!
Make sure to take advantage of our other activities, such as the two hours of free tennis court time and discounted bike rentals, that you receive when you book your villa through Palmetto Dunes. Another great bonus of renting with Palmetto Dunes is that you can enjoy lunch, dinner or mid-afternoon cocktails at The Dunes House!
951 Inverness is ready to make your fall golf outing perfect, so check out its availability, gather up your gang of guys or group of gals and call us at 866.380.1778. Fore!
Vacations used to be a time to turn off your phones and completely get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. These days, it’s tough to get away without turning off your smart phone!
Our advice: Put your phone on silent but keep it charged just enough to take advantage of these apps to make your Hilton Head vacation more interesting, informative and less expensive!
So on your next adventure to Hilton Head keep your phone on and connect with us to create your perfect trip! We hope to see you soon.
Have you ever been walking the beaches here in Hilton Head and seen some amazing sandcastles? We’ve seen some masterpieces grace our sand, for sure, and we want to share some sandcastle building tips with you! And hey, if you want to start building before you get to the beach, we’ll give you some at-home ideas too!
The Tools You’ll Need: A shovel with a long handle, a bucket, a few carving tools like a spoon, a plastic knife and a fork!
Location, Location, Location: Make sure not to start your sandcastle too close to the shoreline or all your work will be destroyed by the incoming tide! Keep in mind that you’ll need water to hold your castle together so don’t go too far from the ocean unless you want a good workout.
Get to Digging and Building: Start by digging a hole far enough down to reach the water table (where the sand is damp). Using very wet sand and your hands, create a base for your castle. Stack sand blocks on top of one another until you get your sandcastle the height and width you want.
Decoration Time: After you’ve built the base, it’s time for the fun part. You can use the knife to chisel in a brick pattern and the spoon to scoop out openings for a door. Another cool technique is to make a “drizzle” roof by taking super wet sand into your hand, hold your hand over the desired location and let the sand drip down. You can also use coral, shells and other washed up items to jazz up your creation!
So get to building and share your castle pictures with us on Facebook!
If you’re celebrating an anniversary, honeymoon or just need a vacation with your honey, we want to help you plan the perfect beach date. We suggest starting off your day with a nice bike ride through the resort. We have more than 5 miles of paved bike paths at the resort with beautiful natural surroundings for you to explore.
On your ride, stop by the General Store and pick up sandwiches, chips, fruit, drinks and a towel or blanket for a nice picnic to take to the beach. Next, stop by Hilton Head Outfitters where you can rent your beach chairs and an umbrella. Then head toward the sand and surf to enjoy a relaxing picnic while you watch the dolphins frolic and unwind watching the waves.
Cap your day with a romantic dinner. A couple of of good options include Alexander’s in the resort, which is known for its extensive wine menu, or Ela’s in Shelter Cove, which has outstanding view to accompany their menu!
If you need even more relaxation, many of our packages include spa treatments, champagne and other sweet activities to try. We even offer a Silver Celebration package for couple celebrating 25 years of marriage.
What’s your favorite romantic activity when in Hilton Head? We hope to see all you love birds here soon!
If your kids are looking to try something new and exciting this summer then head down to Hilton Head Outfitters and sign up for our surf camp! The classes are 90 minutes long and available for all ages. Captain Byron Sewell gives private attention to all attendees and brings his radical experience to the class!
Captain Byron was born on Hilton Head Island and has been a competitive surfer for 12 years. He has 5 State Championship titles and has even won an East Coast Championship. When he’s not in Hilton Head helping your child catch a wave, you can find him either in Hawaii or in Costa Rica from November through May running a surfing adventure guide.
Every class starts with a 10-minute yoga stretch to get everyone loose and in the right frame of mind. All classes are full of laughter and he ends each session with a watermelon seed spitting contest! So get your children out there for fun in the surf so they can tell everyone they’ve been surfing in Hilton Head. Cowabunga dudes!
There are lots of great activities to do on the beach from swimming and building sand castles to jogging and surfing, but a great way to get in some family bonding time is to turn the beach into a game board!
Many couples dream of a beach wedding with the tide rolling behind them and their toes in the sand. The team at Palmetto Dunes helps that dream come true for many a bride and groom every year. Here’s what many of them had to say about their amazing ceremonies:
On Saturday, May 21, 450 athletes will test their strength, endurance and mental toughness by participating in the Hilton Head Triathlon presented by CalU. Beginning at 7 a.m., you’ll see these men and women complete a 500-meter swim, 20-km bike ride and finish up with a 5k run.