We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
1) Swim -- What child doesn’t love to jump in the water and splash away? We figure that’s probably the first thing they’re going to want to do when they arrive, so we put it first on the list. Depending on the weather, if the ocean waters are a little too cool yet, hit the pool at your Hilton Head vacation rental, some of which are heated, and should be plenty warm in the sun.
2) Ride a bike – Our next suggestion that kids will love is riding their bike. We’re sure they’re already used to it at home and now they’ve got an entirely new area to explore. We recently replaced most of our bike paths, which number 5 miles within the resort alone. Instead of driving your car, ride your bike to the beach, to lunch, to golf, you name it! Get your Hilton Head bike rentals and all the gear you need at Hilton Head Outfitters.
3) Learn a new skill – Palmetto Dunes offers wonderful junior programs for both golf and tennis. Not only will kids and teens stay active and keep their minds firing, they’ll come home from Hilton Head Island proud to show their friends what they’ve learned. Watch these fun videos about our Little Swingers golf class and junior tennis clinics.
4) Explore nature – Nature is all around you on Hilton Head Island from the moss-draped live oak trees and colorful azaleas to shore birds and plentiful fish. Rent double kayaks and put an adult with each child for a peaceful kayak through our calm 11-mile lagoon system. See who can spot the most birds!
5) Reel in a big one – We have lots of great fishing around Palmetto Dunes, including our fair share of “monster” fish. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter on our lagoon and see if you can reel in Elvis, the giant red fish, or head out into the ocean for some exciting shark fishing for the whole family.
6) Go crabbing – This one may surprise you, but crabbing in Hilton Head is one of our favorite activities for families because everyone can get involved. Our charter, the Crabber J, teaches you how to catch a crab and then awards their world-famous Crabber J T-shirt to the person who catches the most!
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.
Families know what a wonderful place Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is for all ages and once again the resort has been recognized for its family-friendly atmosphere. The readers of Travel + Leisure magazine ranked the resort No. 23 in their list of World’s Best Family Resort Getaways in the November issue on newsstands now. Palmetto Dunes was the highest ranking South Carolina resort on the list.
“We see the joy in families’ faces as they experience all the fun activities we have to offer here at Palmetto Dunes, so we are incredibly pleased that the readers of Travel + Leisure have ranked us as one of their favorite family resorts in the world,” says Brad Marra, assistant vice president of resort operations for Greenwood Communities and Resorts, the owner of Palmetto Dunes. “Whether it’s reeling in a trophy redfish, learning how to properly swing a golf club or riding the waves on a surfboard, Palmetto Dunes has so much to offer families year round.”
What makes Palmetto Dunes such an ideal getaway for families? Well, let us give you a few reasons…
1) Junior Golf - Kids can learn to play golf at one of the resort’s three championship golf courses through the Little Swingers program for ages 4-7. The Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy also offers a variety of junior instructional programs for ages 6-18, and families can learn the sport of golf together as part of Family Golf School. Additionally, kids younger than 10 play golf free after 4 p.m. when accompanied by a parent paying regular rate at all three courses. The Robert Trent Jones course also offers permanent junior tees, and the George Fazio course has markings of 150 yards or less.
2) Junior Tennis - The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers shortened tennis courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the U.S. Tennis Association. They have 27 junior tennis programs each week between March and Labor Day and during holidays. Popular clinics include the Short Shots Clinic, which combines tennis fun with motor skills development for ages 4 and 5, and the Super Shots Clinic, which incorporates in-depth instruction on each stroke with fun activities for ages 5 through 8.
3) Unlimited Activities – Kids can learn to fish or crab with Hilton Head Outfitters, enjoy our summertime Surf School, rent and ride bikes around the resort’s 5 miles of paved paths, attend HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour during the summer months for fireworks and kid-friendly performer Shannon Tanner and more.
4) Family-Friendly Dining - Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza at the Robert Trent Jones golf course and the oceanfront Dunes House, open to resort guests and property owners, both welcome children and offer specials kids menus.
5) Top-notch accommodations - Families can choose to stay at one of the many homes and villas located within the resort during their Hilton Head vacation. We have a vacation rental program and offer a variety of options from 1-bedroom villas to 6-bedroom homes for multi-family travel. We also offer special packages designed just for families that include the best of the resort’s activities.
Additionally, families who book through the resort enjoy special discounts on resort activities, including two hours of free tennis court time daily.
Thanks to the readers of Travel + Leisure for voting for our resort. We hope to see your family for generations to come! For more information about the resort or to book an upcoming vacation, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
When it comes to playing just about any sport, proper instruction and technique is the key to your ability to play well. Even better is proper instruction in a beautiful location! Award-winning Hilton Head tennis resort, Palmetto Dunes has you covered on both accounts.
Tennis magazine has consistently ranked Palmetto Dunes among the “50 Greatest U.S. Tennis Resorts” since 1975. It also named Palmetto Dunes the No. 1 tennis resort in the Carolinas for 2012 and one of the top 10 tennis resorts in the U.S. Tennis Resorts Online also ranked the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 5 Tennis Center in the World. Could there be a better place to play tennis?!
Whether you prefer private lessons or a group setting, the tennis pros at Palmetto Dunes’ Tennis Center can help. They offer Hilton Head tennis lessons that will help you establish the basic skills needed to play the game, as well as help you continue to develop your skills – all while enjoying a Hilton Head tennis vacation. And it doesn’t matter if you’re a junior or an adult; we have tennis lessons for ages 4 and older!
Private and semi-private lessons are ideal if you feel like you need personal attention. We have half-hour and full hour lessons available. Our rates are very reasonable, but you can save even more if you book five or more lessons at one time. Please call us at 866-744-7558 to schedule.
If you’d prefer to take group tennis lessons, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has several tennis clinics throughout the week including: Serve Clinic, Grand Slam Clinic, Competitive Doubles Clinic, Competitive Edge Drills, Return of Serve Clinic and more. Check our website for details and pricing. We even offer a Create Your Own Clinic, where you choose the time, the pro and what you focus on! Once you feel comfortable with your new skills, try them out in one of our Round Robin tournament competitions, which are held daily from 3-5 p.m.
Junior tennis players also can benefit from our clinics and camps. And, they too can play in the Junior Round Robin Tournaments and Junior Grand Slam Tournaments.
As a side note, Palmetto Dunes does require players wear regulation tennis shoes while on the court. Please review our tennis dress code. Don’t worry, if you’ve forgotten something at home or just want to take advantage of our amazing gear and great prices, just stop by our Tennis Center Pro Shop. It’s the largest on the island and it has everything you need.
In addition to instruction, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center also hosts eight tennis tournaments each year that stretch from February to November and appeal to a range of ages and skill levels. The facility is continually selected as the host facility of choice for a wide range of tennis tournaments and events. This October and November we have lots of tournaments coming up, including the Banana Open, USTA Tennis on Campus Fall Invitational and the “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Classic.
And if you’re looking to mix up your activities while on your Hilton Head tennis vacation, consider a round or two of golf at Palmetto Dunes’ three world-class South Carolina golf courses.
Don’t wait a minute longer to sign up for tennis lessons this fall. Tennis is a great sport that’s not only fantastic exercise, but also tons of fun and a chance to socialize with friends. Grab your racquet. It’s time to learn to play tennis in Hilton Head! Call us at (866) 744-7558 and book your court time today!
We see it each summer: Wimbledon inspires. Every year, as the famous tournament is played across the pond, we see enthusiasts of every level want to get out on the court and be Roger, be Serena.
Palmetto Dunes is not only one of the world’s finest family resorts, it’s also a top-ranked tennis resort, recently named the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the top 10 in the nation by Tennis Magazine. That means we have the courts, the racquets and the pros to help our guests find their inner Roger or Serena. Every week, we offer all sorts of clinics and programs to help you improve your skills.
Each Monday at 5:30 p.m., Palmetto Dunes hosts a Welcome Exhibition and Happy Hour. This event offers guests the chance to meet and greet one another over cocktails and watch Palmetto Dunes’ pros play on Centre Court. Cheers!
On Tuesdays at 2 p.m., guests can act like a kid in a candy store during Demo Day. This is a great way to try out the latest in racquet technology, and our pros are on hand to answer any questions you may have.
In addition to these fun complimentary activities, Palmetto Dunes offers tennis clinics for adults and juniors all summer long. Most adult clinics are offered daily and range from a Grand Slam Clinic where players work on stroke fundamentals, footwork and strategy, to Competitive Edge Drills for an exhilarating fast-paced practice session. In addition to the group sessions, Palmetto Dunes’ tennis pros offer private and semi-private sessions. Players also can partake in the Adult Round Robins daily from 3-5 p.m. ($20 p/p. Reservations required.)
Our junior tennis programs are not only fun, they offer the chance for kids to improve their motor skills, strokes, footwork and strategy. Our offerings include clinics, camps and even weekly Junior Round Robin Tournaments. Here is a complete list of tennis clinics and programs.
Palmetto Dunes has 23 clay and two hard courts, eight of which are lighted for night play. Our court fees are $30 per hour for Palmetto Dunes guests, $35 for non-resort guest and $20 for a walk-on first-come-first-serve basis between 12-4 p.m. And if you stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed villa or home during your Hilton Head vacation, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily!
We have the gear, the pros, the programs and of course, the courts. All we need is you! Come on, Roger and Serena. We’re waiting for you!
Here at Palmetto Dunes, we love families. Nothing lights up our day like seeing a child enjoying the wonders of our resort and summer fun is definitely one of our specialties. After all, we’ve racked up a wall’s worth of plaques naming us one of the world’s best resorts for family vacations.
We have children and teens programs and activities for all ages and all skill levels. Some are a few hours, some a few days. Some are fairly structured, some aren’t. All offer lots of activity and plenty of fun!
For little golfers, try our “Little Swingers” program, which teaches golf basics while singing songs. More intensive is the five-day Palmetto Dunes Junior Golf Academy and, in between, we have clinics for various ages, practice rounds with an instructor and special prices for golfers under age 17 to play our three designer golf courses. We even have Family Golf School, which whole families can do together. Watch the video below to see some little golfers in action.
We’re proud of our tennis programs for the younger set, too. Our tennis clinics start with players ages 4 and up and includes Junior Tennis Camp for ages 9 to 17 and the Junior Grand Slam for tournament-level players. There are lots of clinics, tournaments and practices to choose from, as well. Here’s another great video clip of our tennis program for kids:
We take advantage of the fact we’re on an island, too, with all kinds of boating and fishing activities that set sail from Shelter Cove Marina. You can see science in real life here in Hilton Head. See dolphins up close on our dolphin cruise or learn how to crab with our Lowcountry experts. How about family ski day where you have your choice of ski instruction, kneeboarding or tubing or let them try out paddleboarding with a few lessons in our calm inland lagoon system.
No matter what strikes your kids’ fancy, they’re sure to find something at Palmetto Dunes that will keep boredom at bay, as well as keeping them active and engaged during your Hilton Head vacation.
As with just about any sport, music instrument or creative endeavor, kids gravitate toward what offers early successes. That’s one reason why kids playing tennis at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center will appreciate the kid-sized tennis courts.