When you’re returning a serve in doubles, your main goal should be to keep the person on the other side of the net from returning a winning shot. Brian Kiggans, head golf pro at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, says you should always view the return serve as a set-up shot.
To do this effectively, you need a plan. “You should already know where you are wanting the return to be directed before your opponent serves the ball,” says Kiggans. “You should have a plan on the forehand side and on the backhand side (or the same for both).”
According to Kiggans, you have three main choices when returning:
1) Back to the server
2) Toward the net person
3) Lob over the net person
“For example, if John Doe is serving to me, I have preprogrammed my mind that if the ball comes to my forehand I am going to return crosscourt back to the server. If it comes to my backhand, I am going lob over the net person,” says Kiggans. “This is my plan and I am sticking with it no matter what is happening on the other side of the net. If the serve is really difficult to handle and I can’t execute my plan, I just do my best to get the ball back in play.”
You should also plan the action you’re going to take after the return is made as to whether you are going to the net or staying back. Says Kiggans, “For example, I have planned to return crosscourt if the ball comes to my forehand and follow it to the net if it comes to my backhand. I am going down the line and staying back.”
In conclusion, planning ahead is one of the most important things you can do when returning serve and in life!
Get more information Hilton Head tennis clinics and lessons on our website or by calling us at 866-650-4130.
We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
1) Swim -- What child doesn’t love to jump in the water and splash away? We figure that’s probably the first thing they’re going to want to do when they arrive, so we put it first on the list. Depending on the weather, if the ocean waters are a little too cool yet, hit the pool at your Hilton Head vacation rental, some of which are heated, and should be plenty warm in the sun.
2) Ride a bike – Our next suggestion that kids will love is riding their bike. We’re sure they’re already used to it at home and now they’ve got an entirely new area to explore. We recently replaced most of our bike paths, which number 5 miles within the resort alone. Instead of driving your car, ride your bike to the beach, to lunch, to golf, you name it! Get your Hilton Head bike rentals and all the gear you need at Hilton Head Outfitters.
3) Learn a new skill – Palmetto Dunes offers wonderful junior programs for both golf and tennis. Not only will kids and teens stay active and keep their minds firing, they’ll come home from Hilton Head Island proud to show their friends what they’ve learned. Watch these fun videos about our Little Swingers golf class and junior tennis clinics.
4) Explore nature – Nature is all around you on Hilton Head Island from the moss-draped live oak trees and colorful azaleas to shore birds and plentiful fish. Rent double kayaks and put an adult with each child for a peaceful kayak through our calm 11-mile lagoon system. See who can spot the most birds!
5) Reel in a big one – We have lots of great fishing around Palmetto Dunes, including our fair share of “monster” fish. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter on our lagoon and see if you can reel in Elvis, the giant red fish, or head out into the ocean for some exciting shark fishing for the whole family.
6) Go crabbing – This one may surprise you, but crabbing in Hilton Head is one of our favorite activities for families because everyone can get involved. Our charter, the Crabber J, teaches you how to catch a crab and then awards their world-famous Crabber J T-shirt to the person who catches the most!
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinics weekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
Tennis lovers, we’ve got the place for you to have a wonderful beach vacation and get plenty of tennis time, too. Recently featured in the July/August issue of Tennis Magazine, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has plenty of activities to fill your week with as much tennis as you want.
Here’s a sampling of what a week-long vacation could be a tennis aficionado:
Arrive Saturday evening, enjoy dinner at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza at the Robert Trent Jones golf course and head to bed to get an early start on your Sunday.
Head over to one of our 26 tennis courts to enjoy your 2 hours of complimentary tennis court time that comes with every booked accommodation at Palmetto Dunes.
Take in a round of golf at one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses to add a little variety to your Hilton Head tennis vacation.
Try our Daily Drill Clinic focused on the stroke of the day. 10-11 a.m.
Enjoy our weekly Happy Hour at 5:30 p.m. to mix and mingle with other guests here for the week, enjoy cocktails and meet our tennis pros who will perform an exhibition match on center court.
Enjoy lunch at the beachfront Dunes House, open to resort guests. Try a fish taco or Caesar salad with a margarita!
Head over to the Tennis Center for Demo Days to try the latest in racquet technology and see how a new racquet could help your game. 2 p.m.
Give Cardio Tennis a try. Play tennis to music and burns lots of calories. 8-9 a.m.
Join in our daily Tennis Round Robin from 3-4 p.m. Be sure to call and reserve your spot, as we require at least 3 players to hold the event.
Now that you’ve had a couple days of clinics under your belt, try our Competitive Edge Drills for immediate to advanced players. These morning sessions are exhilarating fast-paced practice with a purpose. 11-12:30 p.m.
Take part in our Serve Clinic today, which emphasizes stroke production of the serve, spin, placement and power. 3:30-4:40 p.m.
Scheduled a ½ hour or one hour private or semi-private lesson with one of our tennis pros for a session tailored to your skills.
Our Return of Serve Clinic uses a serving machine to help you practice your return of serve. 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Stop by our 1800-square-foot tennis pro shop and pick up some tennis souvenirs from your Hilton Head vacation.
Book your tennis vacation at Palmetto Dunes for next year and head home safely!
For a complete list of summer tennis clinics, lessons and other activities, view our Tennis Schedule.
What would the ideal tennis vacation look like to you? We offer a variety of tennis packages that combine accommodations with clinics and lessons to give you the best deal on your beach vacation. Take a look at our Tennis Stay & Play Package or our Extreme Tennis Vacation or give us a call at 866-744-7558 for a customized package for your group.
What’s your family doing this Memorial Day? May we suggest a visit to Hilton Head? We’ve got a host of different events all weekend that will appeal to a variety of interests.
Shelter Cove Harbour will once again host the annual Hilton Head Art Fest, now in its 5th year, which gives art lovers and novices alike the chance to browse art in a variety of media in the wonderful outdoor setting of Shelter Cove.
On Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26 from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Hilton Head vacationers and locals can visit the free arts and crafts market to see artwork from some 150 fine artists nationwide. Shoppers will find watercolor, jewelry, oils, ceramics, glass, photography and even life-size sculptures! Can you imagine taking home something akin to the famous King Neptune statue at Shelter Cove?
The artists at the festival are hand selected from hundreds of applicants to ensure an extensive variety of items that will appeal to a broad range of art enthusiasts, collectors and those looking for unique gifts. We can’t think of anything more amazing than taking back a work of art as a souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation!
Also, at Shelter Cove Harbour are a variety of musical performances, including Shannon Tanner who will kick off the 25th annual HarbourFest on May 24. He’ll play Friday-Sunday at both 6:30 and 8 p.m., entertaining crowds with his beloved kid-friendly songs like “My Hair Had a Party Last Night.”
During the day on both Saturday and Sunday, Shelter Cove Harbour will host the Patwa reggae band, a local favorite and perfect for setting a laid-back island mood. Grab a margarita at San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant and you’re set!
If your group wants to get more active, why not enroll in our Family Golf School, which is designed to fit a family’s needs and skill level or try our 90-minute Hilton Head surf school and learn how to catch a wave in no time. We’ll also be hosting adult tennis round robins over the weekend or try our new guided stand up paddleboarding tours of our 11-mile lagoon or the ocean for tailored paddleboarding guidance and a lesson on the flora and fauna of Hilton Head.
What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend? We hope they involve Hilton Head! If they don’t, go ahead and visit our Hilton Head web cams and pretend like you’re here :-).
With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year, it’s certain that tennis is near and dear to our hearts here at our South Carolina resort. Once again, our wonderful tennis guests have ranked us as tops when it comes to tennis resorts not just around the country but across the world.
TennisResortsOnline.com, a website which annually compiles guest rankings of tennis resorts, just released their Top 100 Tennis Resorts and Camps for 2013. Tennis vacationers are asked to score the resorts on amenities and services – both on court and off – quality of lodging, restaurants, children’s experiences and value. To qualify, each resort must have a minimum 25 reviews to be considered for the Top 10 and must have a minimum 6 tennis courts (we have 25).
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort came in at No. 9 in the rankings’ Top 25 resorts, putting us into the Gold Medal Category. Additionally, we were ranked at No. 4 for the Best Junior Tennis programs. Tennis Magazine has also ranked Palmetto Dunes the No. 1 tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the top 10 in the nation.
At Palmetto Dunes, we love tennis players! We offer all sorts of activities, tennis instructional programs and tournaments to keep you coming back. During the spring and summer season, we offer weekly Demo Days for trying new tennis equipment, as well as a weekly exhibition and Happy Hour to hang out with the staff, watch them play and enjoy drinks and hors d’oeuvres. We also have a popular daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition among guests.
If you’re looking to better your tennis game, we host 43 adult tennis clinics every week and 27 junior clinics March-August and during holidays. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming each day from our regular schedule. “This offers a lot of flexibility for people depending on their schedule – they can play as much or as little as they want,” says John Kerr, director of tennis for Palmetto Dunes. “For example, they can do our morning clinics from 8-12:30 p.m. and then come back in the afternoon for the daily round robin.”
If you want to combine tennis with your Hilton Head vacation, we offer packages specifically geared toward tennis players, including the Extreme Tennis Vacation with 7 nights of accommodations for four, three 1-hour private lessons and two clinics per player, daily court time and more. Another popular choice is the Tennis Stay & Play package with 3 nights of accommodations, two 1-hour clinics, two hours of court time daily and three-day bike rentals.
You can also make a tennis vacation out of our nine different tennis tournaments each year, including 3 USTA state championships. Many people plan their vacations around these events, many of which are linked to charity and most are open to the public and are non-USTA sanctioned.
Come see for yourself why Palmetto Dunes is one of the Top 10 Tennis Resorts in the world! Want a quote on a tennis vacation? Request it here or call us at 866-744-7558.
When March rolls around on Hilton Head Island, our minds start to wander toward tennis. Imagine mild days of sunshine spent on the courts, perfecting our skills and playing with friends. Spring is the beginning of Hilton Head tennis in all its glory and the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center revs up with tournaments, happy hours, weekly demonstration days, daily round robins and more.
March through October the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center gets into full “swing”! We offer a full plate of Hilton Head tennis lessons and clinics that give you plenty of flexibility to do as much or as little as you want. For example, you might want to fill your morning with instruction, but head to the courts – or the beach – in the afternoon.
Some of the drills and clinics on our schedule include our Return of Serve & Regular Serve clinics which work on two of the most important strokes in tennis that are the least practiced, our Stroke of the Day which focuses on a new stroke daily, our daily drill for beginner to intermediate players, and our Cardio Tennis class. Of course, we are also able to provide private and semi-private tennis lessons for one-on-one or small group instruction.
We also offer a full schedule of Junior Tennis Programs March through Labor Day and on holidays. Classes include Short Shots Clinic, Stroke of the Day, and a Junior Tennis Camp. View the complete Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center Programs Schedule for Spring 2013.
This time of year we introduce some fun, free weekly events for guests to socialize while enjoying tennis. On Monday nights at 5:30 p.m., we host our welcome exhibition and happy hour with complimentary beer, wine and lemonade, as well as door prizes. On Tuesdays at 2 p.m. we host a weekly Demonstration Day where players can see and try out the latest tennis equipment and have the opportunity to match a racquet to their playing style. Also during March through October, we have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition.
We also host a variety of tennis tournaments from February through October, including the popular Banana Open Challenge, where individuals qualify by participating in a variety of regional tournaments, as well as several USTA South Carolina state championships. View the full Hilton Head tennis tournament schedule.
Here are a few other things you might not know about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
Are you ready to come play tennis at Palmetto Dunes this spring? Call us at 866-744-7558 to get closer to playing Hilton Head tennis today!
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
When it comes to playing just about any sport, proper instruction and technique is the key to your ability to play well. Even better is proper instruction in a beautiful location! Award-winning Hilton Head tennis resort, Palmetto Dunes has you covered on both accounts.
Tennis magazine has consistently ranked Palmetto Dunes among the “50 Greatest U.S. Tennis Resorts” since 1975. It also named Palmetto Dunes the No. 1 tennis resort in the Carolinas for 2012 and one of the top 10 tennis resorts in the U.S. Tennis Resorts Online also ranked the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 5 Tennis Center in the World. Could there be a better place to play tennis?!
Whether you prefer private lessons or a group setting, the tennis pros at Palmetto Dunes’ Tennis Center can help. They offer Hilton Head tennis lessons that will help you establish the basic skills needed to play the game, as well as help you continue to develop your skills – all while enjoying a Hilton Head tennis vacation. And it doesn’t matter if you’re a junior or an adult; we have tennis lessons for ages 4 and older!
Private and semi-private lessons are ideal if you feel like you need personal attention. We have half-hour and full hour lessons available. Our rates are very reasonable, but you can save even more if you book five or more lessons at one time. Please call us at 866-744-7558 to schedule.
If you’d prefer to take group tennis lessons, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has several tennis clinics throughout the week including: Serve Clinic, Grand Slam Clinic, Competitive Doubles Clinic, Competitive Edge Drills, Return of Serve Clinic and more. Check our website for details and pricing. We even offer a Create Your Own Clinic, where you choose the time, the pro and what you focus on! Once you feel comfortable with your new skills, try them out in one of our Round Robin tournament competitions, which are held daily from 3-5 p.m.
Junior tennis players also can benefit from our clinics and camps. And, they too can play in the Junior Round Robin Tournaments and Junior Grand Slam Tournaments.
As a side note, Palmetto Dunes does require players wear regulation tennis shoes while on the court. Please review our tennis dress code. Don’t worry, if you’ve forgotten something at home or just want to take advantage of our amazing gear and great prices, just stop by our Tennis Center Pro Shop. It’s the largest on the island and it has everything you need.
In addition to instruction, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center also hosts eight tennis tournaments each year that stretch from February to November and appeal to a range of ages and skill levels. The facility is continually selected as the host facility of choice for a wide range of tennis tournaments and events. This October and November we have lots of tournaments coming up, including the Banana Open, USTA Tennis on Campus Fall Invitational and the “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Classic.
And if you’re looking to mix up your activities while on your Hilton Head tennis vacation, consider a round or two of golf at Palmetto Dunes’ three world-class South Carolina golf courses.
Don’t wait a minute longer to sign up for tennis lessons this fall. Tennis is a great sport that’s not only fantastic exercise, but also tons of fun and a chance to socialize with friends. Grab your racquet. It’s time to learn to play tennis in Hilton Head! Call us at (866) 744-7558 and book your court time today!
We see it each summer: Wimbledon inspires. Every year, as the famous tournament is played across the pond, we see enthusiasts of every level want to get out on the court and be Roger, be Serena.
Palmetto Dunes is not only one of the world’s finest family resorts, it’s also a top-ranked tennis resort, recently named the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the top 10 in the nation by Tennis Magazine. That means we have the courts, the racquets and the pros to help our guests find their inner Roger or Serena. Every week, we offer all sorts of clinics and programs to help you improve your skills.
Each Monday at 5:30 p.m., Palmetto Dunes hosts a Welcome Exhibition and Happy Hour. This event offers guests the chance to meet and greet one another over cocktails and watch Palmetto Dunes’ pros play on Centre Court. Cheers!
On Tuesdays at 2 p.m., guests can act like a kid in a candy store during Demo Day. This is a great way to try out the latest in racquet technology, and our pros are on hand to answer any questions you may have.
In addition to these fun complimentary activities, Palmetto Dunes offers tennis clinics for adults and juniors all summer long. Most adult clinics are offered daily and range from a Grand Slam Clinic where players work on stroke fundamentals, footwork and strategy, to Competitive Edge Drills for an exhilarating fast-paced practice session. In addition to the group sessions, Palmetto Dunes’ tennis pros offer private and semi-private sessions. Players also can partake in the Adult Round Robins daily from 3-5 p.m. ($20 p/p. Reservations required.)
Our junior tennis programs are not only fun, they offer the chance for kids to improve their motor skills, strokes, footwork and strategy. Our offerings include clinics, camps and even weekly Junior Round Robin Tournaments. Here is a complete list of tennis clinics and programs.
Palmetto Dunes has 23 clay and two hard courts, eight of which are lighted for night play. Our court fees are $30 per hour for Palmetto Dunes guests, $35 for non-resort guest and $20 for a walk-on first-come-first-serve basis between 12-4 p.m. And if you stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed villa or home during your Hilton Head vacation, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily!
We have the gear, the pros, the programs and of course, the courts. All we need is you! Come on, Roger and Serena. We’re waiting for you!
Before you head out to visit us this summer or fall, we want you to get to know our fantastic staff that you’ll be seeing around the resort. If you like to spend a good bit of your Hilton Head vacation hitting the tennis ball, then you definitely need to meet Brian Kiggans, our head tennis professional at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center.
As part of this ongoing series, we’ll ask our staff to tell us about themselves and their favorite things about the resort. Here’s what Brian had to say:
What are your responsibilities at Palmetto Dunes?
“I’m responsible for running the daily operations of our tennis clinics, private lessons, round robins, stringing, demo days and exhibitions. I make sure everything is covered for all the other lessons and clinics by the other staff professionals. I teach, too.”
What’s the best part of your job?
“I love teaching and meeting different people every week and building great relationships with people from all over the world.”
How did you come to work at Palmetto Dunes?
“I spent 15 years at another local resort and applied for job when it was vacant. I took over eight years ago.”
What’s the best thing about Hilton Head Island that most tourists don't know?
“It’s a year round resort even in the winter. The weather is great and you can still do all outdoor activities.”
What's your favorite spot on Hilton Head?
“The Dunes House on the ocean, only 500 yards from the tennis center. It’s just a hop, skip and jump after work. It’s right on the ocean, has a great view and it’s relaxing.”
What are the two most-played songs on your iPod?
“Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Thunder Road’ and ‘Jungle Land.’”
So look for Brian the next time you stop by the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center and tell him Bruce Springsteen said “hi” J. Stay tuned for interviews with more Palmetto Dunes staff in upcoming posts.
The March issue of Tennis Magazine named Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 Tennis Center in the Carolinas and we couldn’t be more thrilled! The magazine considers the quality of tennis instruction, number of courts and clinics provided in determining the rankings. They also take into account the lodging, dining and other amenities that are included with your tennis vacation.
Our 25 courts -- 23 clay and 2 Nova pro bounce , 7 of which are lighted for night play -- made it to the top spot beating out several resorts in North and South Carolina. Beyond the quality and number of courts, Tennis Magazine called out our wide variety of tennis lessons and clinics. From our Junior Programs, such as our Short Shorts Clinic, to our Daily Round Robins, we have lessons and programs for the whole family. Plus, last year, we added a shortened court for children’s play to follow new tournament regulations.
Between February and November, our tennis center will play host to nine tournaments, bringing some amazing talent to Hilton Head Island.
Beyond all the courts, classes and tournaments here at Palmetto Dunes, we also offer two hours of free tennis court time daily to all our resort homes or villas guests, in addition to giving them the best deals on activities within the resort.
We’re so proud of our wonderful tennis team and look forward to hosting you for the perfect Hilton Head tennis vacation at the best tennis resort in the Carolinas!
From the golf course to where to eat and drink we’ve compiled tips and information from the staff at Palmetto Dunes to help you get the most out of your visit to our resort.
If you’ve never stayed with us before, feel free to ask us any questions you have by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or you can “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and we’ll answer your questions there.
Do you have a great tip for visiting Palmetto Dunes?
Lots of women come through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year, and one complaint that we’ve heard a lot is about their tennis bags. They are often too large and bulky for the average woman to haul around. That’s why we started carrying the very stylish and sleek Life Is Tennis JETPAC bag.
Designed by a female tennis player for women, these bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes while also allowing you to pick from lots of fun patterns. The Winter collection provides prints such as Enchantment, Reptilian and Silver Vogue. Here at Palmetto Dunes we carry many different styles, including small and large slings, as well as totes.
So this holiday season give the gift that will make dreams of days spent in our tennis clinics and nights spent on our lighted tennis courts. The Life Is Tennis bag is a must-give this holiday season for all the lady tennis players in your life!
Next month is the start of two months full of tennis tournaments here in Hilton Head, S.C. While we’re preparing for four tournaments hosted here in September and October, one of our team members is preparing to head west for a California tournament!
Our very own Mary Jackson, group coordinator at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, is headed to the United States Tennis Association (USTA) Nationals in Rancho Mirage, Calif.! At the tournament, held Oct. 14-16, she will represent the Southern Section in the 4.5 Senior Women’s division. This is a huge honor and one that Mary and her team worked very hard to achieve.
Here is a blurb from Hilton Head’s Island Packet newspaper about their win: “The senior 4.5 women's team from Palmetto Dunes Tennis Club brought back a title Tuesday from the USTA League Southern Section Championships in Mobile, Ala. The team finished 5-0 in the tournament and lost just one court in the five matches, wrapping up the championship by breezing to a 3-0 victory in the finals against a squad from Atlanta.”
We’re so proud of Mary and her entire team and wish them the best of luck at USTA Nationals. If you want to come learn from some of the best, check out all of our wonderful tennis clinics here at Palmetto Dunes!
from Tennis Resorts Online. The oceanfront resort was the only resort in Hilton Head ranked in the top 5 for instruction, junior programs and children’s programs and in the top 10 for overall resorts. These rankings mean a lot to us, because they are generated from actual visitors to resorts across the globe.
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort was also named No. 2 in the world for Best Instruction and Programs and ranked 8th in the world for Top Tennis Resorts. We also scored top marks for our junior and children programs, ranking it 3rd in the world for Best Overall Children’s programs and 4th for Best Junior Tennis programs. We are so proud of our Tennis Center and hope to see you all on the courts soon!