Since golfing is a way of life here at Palmetto Dunes with our three championship Hilton Head golf courses hosting hundreds of golfers every week, we thought we’d share some of our favorite golf quotes. They come not just from golf professionals, but from comedians, writers and even presidents!
Here’s our top 10:
"I know I am getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators." – Gerald Ford
“They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken.” – Raymond Floyd
“Hit it hard, go find it and hit it hard again.” – Arnold Palmer
"The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody put a flagstick on top." – Pete Dye
"Golf is an awkward set of bodily contortions designed to produce a graceful result." – Tommy Armour
"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." – Paul Harvey
"It is good sportsmanship not to pick up lost balls while they are still rolling." – Mark Twain
"The most important shot in golf is the next one." – Ben Hogan
"The golf swing is like a suitcase into which we are trying to pack one too many things." – John Updike
"I never learned anything from a match that I won." – Bobby Jones
There are plenty more great golf quotes out there but these are just a few that made us laugh or gave us pause. What’s your favorite golf quote? Who’s your favorite golfer?
Come enjoy a fall Hilton Head golf getaway at Palmetto Dunes this year! View our golf vacation packages or get a quote to bring down a group of 12 or more. Happy golfing!
There is no shortage of ways to have fun with your friends on Hilton Head Island, but here’s one way you may not have heard about: a Hilton Head party fishing boat. Gather a big group of up to 60 family and friends together and get ready to explore the beautiful marshes and waterways of Broad Creek while competing to reel in the biggest catch.
Available out of Shelter Cove Harbour across from Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, the Captain Hook is a 70-foot boat that can be chartered by groups. Billed as the “largest and most comfortable party fishing boat on Hilton Head Island,” the Captain Hook has a full galley, enclosed cabin, shaded sitting areas for fishing, two clean restrooms and plenty of room to catch some rays on the top deck.
Choose which type of Hilton Head fishing charter you’d like to enjoy aboard Captain Hook, including inshore shark fishing, offshore wreck fishing or night shark fishing with HarbourFest fireworks on Tuesday nights. The trips range from 3 to 5 1/2 hours and start at $53/person and $43/person for children 12 and younger for a three-hour tour. The cost includes bait, tackle, rod and reel rental, instructions and fish cleaning. A fishing license is not required.
Plan to bring your own small cooler (beer in cans is allowed) or purchase food on the boat, including hot dogs, pizza, cheeseburgers, candy, beer, water and soda. The food bar is cash only. You can also buy T-shirts onboard as a souvenir of your trip! Plan to wear shorts or long pants, a T-shirt, swimsuit, jacket, hat, and sneakers or boat shoes. No flip flops, please.
To schedule your Hilton Head party fishing charter, give us a call at 843-785-1700. Have a blast!
Wondering how you can stay in shape during your Hilton Head Island vacation? It’s a breeze! Even if you take a break from your regular exercise video or weight lifting routine during your trip, you can still get in some great entire body workouts by simply enjoying the great outdoors around our island.
Here are 5 fantastic ways to stay fit on Hilton Head Island:
1) Run on the beach – Do you regularly run your neighborhood at home or perhaps a local park? On Hilton Head Island, we’ve got an even better view: the Atlantic Ocean! Head out in the morning before it heats up and keep your eye out for dolphins. You won’t even realize you’re out of breath!
2) Ride a bike – We offer Hilton Head bike rentals for your convenience if you’re flying to the area or don’t want to drive down with your own bike. Hilton Head Island offers 50 miles of paved bike paths – 5 miles within our resort that have just been redone -- for you to explore the beauty of the Lowcountry.
3) Stand up Paddleboarding – One of the fastest growing watersports, stand up paddleboarding, or SUP, is a great full body workout that requires lots of balance and core strength. Paddle the waves in the Atlantic or Shelter Cove’s Broad Creek and enjoy the scenery. Hilton Head Outfitters has these special boards for rent. You can even try yoga on a stand up paddleboard with classes offered by Outside Hilton Head.
4) Go surfing – If you don’t know how to surf, attend our 90-minute Surf Camp offered Monday through Friday during the summer to learn the basics. Then rent a board from Hilton Head Outfitters and hang 10!
5) Play tennis – Tennis is a great cardio workout and we offer guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through us two hours of free tennis court time daily. If that’s not quite enough of a workout for you, try our Hilton Head cardio tennis class for a real heart-pumping workout.
How do you stay fit while on vacation?
Play Golf America hosts Family Golf Month during the month of July in order to promote golf as a fun, family activity. “Summer is a great time to get involved in the game of golf, because there are so many programs that focus on the benefits that golf has for everyone,” says PGA of America President Allen Wronowski.
We’ve got plenty of family-friendly opportunities to explore golf within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, recently named one of the World’s Top-25 Family Getaways by Travel + Leisure, and our three championship Hilton Head golf courses. Here are 6:
1) Kids play FREE! Children ages 10 and younger play free with an adult paying regular rate after 4 p.m. at all three of our Hilton Head golf courses.
2) Family Golf School – Learn to play golf all together with our three-day Hilton Head Family Golf School. Our golf instructors will tailor the instruction to your family’s skill level and have you looking like pros by the end of your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Little Swingers – Kids ages 3-7 can get started on the basics of golf with fun songs at our Little Swingers kids golf class offered seasonally.
5) Junior Clinics – Kids 6 and older can join in our junior Hilton Head golf clinics, which focus on mastering the fundamentals of golf shots, etiquette and rules. Three different shots are covered daily. More advanced players ages 8 and older can participate in the Advanced Junior Class, which includes a round with a professional.
6) Dine at Big Jim’s restaurant – After your family round of golf, head over to Big Jim’s restaurant right on the Jones course for a family-friendly meal with specialties including BBQ, burgers and pizza.
How will you celebrate Family Golf Month?
Hilton Head Island is no stranger to gourmet cuisine, and a new restaurant at Shelter Cove Harbour will give locals a visitors yet another taste of global fare here in the Lowcountry. Mediterranean Harbour Bar and Grill recently opened its doors next to La Fontana restaurant, adding to the range of worldwide cuisine you can find at Shelter Cove, including Mexican, Italian and now Lebanese.
Unique to Hilton Head Island, Mediterranean Harbour Bar and Grill specializes in Mediterranean and Lebanese cuisine, where most dishes are grilled or baked. Chefs import many ingredients and spices from overseas to heighten flavors and create dishes like Falafel, Tabouleh and Sharwarma. There are menu options for vegans and vegetarians, as well as gluten-free selections.
The newly remodeled Hilton Head restaurant has been renovated both inside and out with new mahogany furniture, hardwood floors and outdoor seating for 24, including a new outdoor bar with views of Shelter Cove Harbour and the perfect place to watch HarbourFest fireworks throughout summer.
Mediterranean Harbour Bar and Grill is located at 13 Harbourside Lane Suite B and is open for lunch and dinner daily from 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. For more information, visit www.mediterraneanharbour.com or call 843-842-9991.
La Fontana opened this spring at Shelter Cove Harbour, serving brick oven pizzas, pastas, seafood and traditional Neapolitan dishes for both lunch and dinner.
Planning to get your toes a little sandy this summer at the beach? Why not win a 4-day, 3 night fall or winter getaway to Palmetto Dunes on Hilton Head Island worth $1300 for it! We’ve come up with a fun contest to reward you for your sandy toes and all you need is a beach and a camera!
While you’re hanging out at the beach this summer – any beach – simply snap a pic of your toes in the sand. You know the popular picture taken of your toes while lying on the beach from the head looking down like the one below? That’s the one we’re looking for! Your creativity is welcomed!
Once you’ve captured your photo, simply upload it to your favorite social network, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram and use the hashtag #SandyToesSelfie. To enter on Facebook, please post the photo on our Facebook page using the hashtag, so we’ll be sure to see it.
You have from now through Labor Day to submit your photo, one per person please, as the contest ends September 3. We’ll randomly select a winner of our #SandyToesSelfie Contest on September 4 and announce on all of our social networks.
Your prize includes a 4-day, 3-night stay in a resort view villa within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort September through February, based on availability. Prize is valued at $1300.
RULES & RESTRICTIONS
So what are you waiting for? Get out on the beach and show us your sandy toes!
Do you get competitive when it comes to golf? We’ve got just the event for you: our 1st annual Palmetto Dunes Summer Golf Series.
The tournament will run three Saturdays in July, one Saturday at each course, with prizes and bragging rights at stake.
The format will be a shotgun start with a four-man team scramble and team handicap at 20%. The first two tournaments are independent of the championship, and the top two teams from each of the first two tournaments will be re-handicapped based on their scores.
The top two teams will be competing for the Series Grand Championship at the Robert Trent Jones golf course where six teams will be playing to be the grand champions. The rest of the teams will be competing as they did in the first two events at the Arthur Hills golf course and the George Fazio golf course.
Prizes, which will be awarded for low net, closest to the pin and long drive, will include resort gift cards, golf certificates, hotel nights, restaurant discounts and more. The grand prize winners will receive individual and team trophies and custom shirts with the series logo and 2014 champion embroidered on them.
The tournaments start at 9 a.m. on July 12 at Arthur Hills, July 19 at George Fazio and July 26 at Robert Trent Jones. Entry fees are $65 per player or $260 per team and $85 per player or $340 per team for the Jones championship.
What do you think? Can you and your golf buddies bring home the championship trophy? If you’d like to give it a go, you can save $5 by registering online or give us a call at 843-686-9624 for more information. Good luck!