When you visit Hilton Head Island, one thing on your must-do list is ride your bike! The island offers more than 50 miles of paved bike paths, and just within Palmetto Dunes alone there are plenty of places to ride your bike from the beach and the Dunes House open to resort guests to the General Store and Shelter Cove Harbour.
Our very own Hilton Head Outfitters is our resource for all things bike related on the island. They offer Hilton Head bike rentals and bike equipment rentals and can help you navigate the many bike paths within the resort and beyond.
To make it even easier to rent your bikes in Hilton Head, we’ve created a new program that allows you to rent them right from your mobile phone! You can book your bike literally from anywhere whether you’re lying at the beach, playing a round of golf or eating dinner.
There are a variety of options for renting your bike via our mobile program. You can text BIKE to 843-627-0007 to get access to our mobile website; alternately, you can scan a QR code which will be posted on a sign at Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. Lastly, you can call us at 843-627-0007 or visit the mobile site directly at www.needabike.info. Be sure to bookmark it!
When you arrive at the mobile site, choose the dates you need your bikes and then review your bike choices, which include cruisers, kids’ bikes, fat tire sand bikes, tandems and more. From within the mobile program, you can also rent bike equipment, including helmets, baskets, kiddie carts and tag-a-longs.
Simply make your selections, enter your contact and payment information and your bike will be delivered directly to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home on the date requested and picked up on the date of return.
The mobile program also provides Hilton Head bike route maps that you can access while on your bike of both the island bike trails and lagoon bike trails.
We hope you like our new Need a Bike mobile booking option. Try it and let us know what you think!
With the holidays complete and much of the country engulfed in winter weather galore, many people are starting to plan their spring or summer South Carolina beach vacation. This is a good thing :)! When you book early, you get the worm!
We’ve got 5 reasons why you should book your beach vacation early to make sure you get the most out of your Hilton Head trip:
1) Savings! The first ( and best!) reason to book early is because you will save money. Who could argue with that?! Right now, Palmetto Dunes is offering 20% off Hilton Head vacation homes or villas plus FREE bikes for stays through 3/15/13. If you’re coming in summer, get 10% off all Hilton Head vacation rentals for stays 3/15-9/1/13, as well as free tennis! When you book your Hilton Head golf tee time in advance, you can save up to HALF off our regular resort rate. Those savings won’t last forever!
2) Take your pick – When you plan ahead of time, you get YOUR pick of Hilton Head vacation homes and Hilton Head golf tee times, as well as for activities such as dolphin cruises, charters, golf and tennis lessons and more.
3) Confirm your reservations – During our peak periods like spring break and the summer months, we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals and our most popular tee times and cruise times. By booking now, you can ensure you’ve got all the activities confirmed that your family would like to do ideally at the times you want to do them.
4) Time to plan – Want to take a day trip to Daufuskie Island or down to Savannah, planning to meet your friends from across the country for dinner, not sure whether to drive or fly? Planning now lets you take your time working out all the fine details, lets you research the most cost-saving options and ensures you’ve thoroughly looked into all the options and picked the right ones for your group.
5) Time to dream! – Of course, a big benefit of booking early is plenty of time to dream about your Hilton Head vacation. Snow piling outside the window? No worries! You’ll be in Hilton Head this spring or summer and it will all melt away. If winter’s really got you down, take a look at our webcams to give you a little pep in your step. Your vacation will be here before you know it!
Can we help you plan your spring or summer Hilton Head vacation? Call us today at 866-744-7558 and we’ll make sure you start the planning process early, get the best Hilton Head vacation villa for your needs, reserve plenty of bikes and get in all the activities your family wants to do at the time you want to do them. See you soon!
It’s New Year’s so we’re guessing you’ve probably made a few new year’s resolutions for 2013. Health is always at the top of the resolution list so we wanted to encourage you to come on down to Hilton Head and get healthy with a beautiful view!
Here are 5 healthy activities you can do at Palmetto Dunes to support those new year’s resolutions so they don’t get left in the dust:
1) Walk the golf course – We offer three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, each unique and challenging in its own way. When you play one of our courses, instead of opting for the cart, why not walk the course? You’ll burn some extra calories, do your heart some good and more thoroughly enjoy your beautiful surroundings. It might even give you some more quality time with your golfing buddies!
2) Bike the resort – There are many paved paths throughout Palmetto Dunes, and the streets within the resort are also bike friendly. Everyone knows a good bike ride is a great workout, plus you’re more apt to forget you’re exercising as you take in the lovely views at every turn. Instead of driving to Shelter Cove Harbour to shop or dine, why not hop on a bike using our special passageway that lets you avoid crossing Highway 278? We offer Hilton Head bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters for everyone in the family.
3) Try a Zike Bike! Sure, biking is great on its own, but using this unique bike, you’ll get even more of a workout. The Zike Bike is designed as a cross between a bike and an elliptical machine. You use the elliptical movement to power the bike and work your body even harder. Visit Hilton Head Outfitters to try one or rent one on your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Fall in “love” with tennis – When you book a Hilton Head vacation home or Hilton Head vacation villa with Palmetto Dunes, you get two free hours of tennis daily. Be sure to take advantage of that court time to get in a great tennis workout. If you’d like a little more structure, head over to our Hilton Head tennis academy for a variety of lessons, clinics and even a Cardio Tennis class.
5) Paddleboard our lagoon – Pick a sunny winter afternoon and head out on our 11-mile inland lagoon to try the fastest growing watersport, paddleboarding. When paddleboarding, you stand on a board similar to a surf board and use a paddle to navigate your way through the lagoon. The balance and core work required is like no other! Expect washboard abs if you do this sport regularly :).
What’s your favorite way to be healthy at Palmetto Dunes? Please share with us your new year’s resolutions and we’ll suggest some ways we can support them here at the beach. If we can help you plan activities or a vacation to our beautiful resort, please give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy New Year’s!
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
A long weekend is on the horizon (Yay!). And we can’t think of a better way to spend your days off than on a Labor Day golf getaway to Palmetto Dunes!
Here’s a rundown of the things you can do at this ever popular South Carolina golf resort, including plenty of golf but some other Hilton Head activities, as well:
The Hilton Head Celebrity Golf Tournament kicks off Friday Aug. 31, 2012 at our famed Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course, one of our three world-class golf courses. Since 1979, the annual event has raised more than $3.8 million for well-deserving children’s charities of the South Carolina Lowcountry.
Celebrities at this year’s tournament include actors Richard Schiff of The West Wing and Brian Baumgartner, Kevin from The Office; TV personalities Paul Goodloe of the Weather Channel and Holly Sonders of Golf Channel’s Morning Drive; numerous professional athletes and plenty of South Carolina favorites including Bobby Cremins; and George Rogers, NFL running back, University of South Carolina graduate and 1980 Heisman Trophy winner.
While you won’t be able to play the Jones course Friday (it will be closed for the tournament), you can certainly go and enjoy the festivities! Or you could plan to play one (or both) of the other golf courses at Palmetto Dunes: the George Fazio Course (called the most challenging course in Hilton Head) and the Arthur Hills Course (with 10 holes on the water!). Of course, the Jones course will be back open on Saturday and Sunday.
We also have a special deal right now on Saturday that you can take advantage of while in town. If you book a tee time after 11 a.m. you get half off resort rates if you use code SSSPECIAL12 and book your tee time online here.
While HarbourFest fireworks are over for the season, Shannon Tanner hasn’t gone home yet! Shannon is a family entertainer, who’s been singing and playing music to crowds at Shelter Cove since 1988. Shannon will be performing Friday at 6:30 and 8 p.m. with other live entertainment Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Cappy the Clown will be on hand 6-9 p.m. all weekend and there will be lots of other family activities to do, as well. So bring the whole bunch and experience a new family tradition!
Bike Around Town
Rent a bike from Hilton Head Outfitters, THE place for Hilton Head bike rentals, and explore. Hilton Head Island has more than 50 miles of bike paths that take you beneath live oaks draped with Spanish moss, past creeks and marshes, and close to an assortment of beautiful flowers in bloom.
What’s going on Labor Day weekend at Palmetto Dunes? As you can see, a lot! In addition to the events above, be sure to check out our event calendar for more information on daily tennis clinics, golf demonstrations and after-hours activities at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort! Enjoy your long weekend!
Lots of families who visit Palmetto Dunes each summer love to learn how to surf in Hilton Head and the experience would not be the same without our fun and colorful surf instructors.
In this week’s blog, we want to introduce you to Logan Cambron, our surf instructor. Get to know him a little better and come take a surf lesson from Capt Logan!
What is your job title and what are your responsibilities?
“I’m in charge of the surf program, but I also do kayaks and bikes. I have my captain’s license, so I’m going to be piloting some of the lagoon boats.”
What is the best part of your job?
“Just the look on [my campers’] faces when they stand all the way up during a surf lesson. I also love getting paid to work on the beach.”
How did you wind up at Palmetto Dunes?
“I grew up on Hilton Head Island. I know there aren‘t many of us who can say that. As for Palmetto Dunes, I had worked at the General Store... Altogether, I’ve been here eight or nine years.”
What is the best thing about Hilton Head that most tourists don't know?
“The natural beauty that we’ve kept unspoiled. You have to see it to believe it.”
What's your favorite spot on the island?
“The Dunes House. That’s where I’ve always gone to surf. The surfing is better in the morning before everyone gets out there and it gets windy.”
What are the two most-played songs on your iPod?
“Well, I don’t have an iPod, but if I did, I’d play ‘409’ by The Beach Boys and ‘Hey, Ya,’ by OutKast.
Have you surfed with Capt Logan? Share your experience with us!
How cool would it be to tell friends and family you learned to surf while on your summer Hilton Head vacation? Maybe even throw around a little lingo, “The waves were waist to head high and glassy.”
The experts at Hilton Head Outfitters at Palmetto Dunes will teach you everything you need to know during a week-long Surf School, from how to paddle and pop-up, to picking the right wave and finding your balance while riding a frothy white wave into shore.
With an emphasis on safety and the basic fundamentals, Hilton Head Outfitters’ surf school is held throughout the summer. The Hilton Head surfing school specializes in teaching kids to surf, but the camp is open to all ages. Entire families have even signed up!
Each day, you’ll spend one and a half hours on the beach in a small group session ($80 p/p). You also can choose from a private lesson for one-on-one instruction ($125 p/p). The staff will help you choose between 7-foot and 9-foot soft-top boards, which are better for learning than a hard fiber glass board.
While on the sand, instructors like Captain Logan will help you learn the basics of paddling out and popping up on the board. They’ll show you the perfect positioning for your feet and work on your balance.
When you’re ready to hit the waves, rest assured, the camp is held in shallow water, which is perfect for youngsters. Wipeouts are totally part of the experience, but when you get in the zone and ride in that first wave, it will be an experience you’ll never forget … and a story you’ll probably tell for ages. Recent surf campers have even been doing headstands on paddleboards and riding tandem together!
Registration is required, but you just need to call (866) 650-4132 to reserve your spots. Need a little more information and inspiration? Watch this fun video below about the camp. You’ll be ready to hang 10 for sure!
If you’re looking for a fishing guide, lesson and just someone to talk fish with, Trent Malphrus, we like to call him “Captain Trent,” is your man! He’s been fishing since he could walk and started working as a guide when he was 12 years old.
Growing up on Hilton Head Island, Trent had some of the best fishing surrounding him and he literally knows every nook and cranny of our waterways. We’re so pleased to say he truly believes the best Hilton Head fishing is in our 11-mile lagoon system!
February is a tough month to catch inshore fish so we’re thrilled that March is only a few days away! Trent says that March is just the beginning of some of the best fishing for the year. The longer days and shorter nights lets the fish know spring is on its way and the water begins to warm up slowly but surely.
What Trent is most interested in is all the live bait still left in the creeks. Since the winter was not cold enough for the bait to migrate to warmer water, they have remained here in Hilton Head’s creeks. What he does know is that our lagoon system will start to see Black Drum, Red Fish and Speckled Trout, all for you to catch!
The lagoon system in Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort holds some of the biggest trout on the east coast and there’s a lot of them. Trent’s largest catch ever was in the lagoon, a Red Drum that weighed in more than 50 pounds!
Captain Trent has worked with people of all ages and can help anyone reel in a big one. When his son was just 3 years old, Trent helped him snag a Red Trout and Black Drum. His oldest client was a 91-year-old fly fisherman who caught three Tarpon, which Trent says was an amazing experience.
Want to know more about Trent? Head over to Hilton Head Outfitters and set up a fishing excursion with him. It’s well worth it!
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
If you’ve ever been to Hilton Head, then you know the most common form of transportation is bike! This 2-wheeled ride and Christmas have a long history together, as the bicycle is one of the most common items on a child’s wish list for Santa.
Hilton Head Outfitters has the new craze in bikes that’s on lots of kids’ lists this year. It’s called Zike! The Zike combines a normal bike with the workout of an elliptical machine. These super kid-friendly bikes have been featured on The View and Extra.
You can get the Zike in 4 different versions:
All these versions come in multiple colors, including blue, green, red, yellow and more. If a bike is on your child’s Christmas list this year, why not try something different and fun with the Zike?! We guarantee they will have a speedy good time.
Reel in the right holiday gift this year for the fishing fanatic in your life. The Palmetto Dunes Ships Store has the perfect fishing shirt: Bonehead by Columbia. The Bonehead collection is made of cotton poplin, creating that lived-in comfort feeling. It also features mesh-lined vents on the shoulders to help keep you cool when you’re reeling in the big one!
For those super sunny fishing days, you can always use the hook and loop on the collar to keep the sun off your neck. If all these features aren’t enough, there’s also a hook and loop closed fly pocket at the chest, a utility loop, a rod holder loop and a tool holder all on this shirt to help keep your hands free to work with your rod lines and lures.
This amazing shirt is available for men and women, short and long sleeve and in several colors. If you order or pick up this gift before December 31, you can also take advantage of a 20% discount at The Ships Store.
Stocking Stuffer Special: If you need a fishing stocking stuffer to go with the Bonehead shirt by Columbia, you should pick up a Tervis tumbler. We have a large selection of cups, lids and handles here in Hilton Head!
Here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we love our guests! Whether you stay with us year-round, visit for a week or come for the day to enjoy our activities we value you all. One special guest, Austin, touched our hearts when he came for a fishing excursion with Captain Trent Malphrus.
For more than six years, Austin has been battling acute lymphocyte leukemia, which he was diagnosed with at 8 years old. After three years of treatments, his love of basketball was taken from him but a newfound passion for hunting, fishing and music was awakened inside him. The Make-A-Wish foundation granted his wish and sent the DeGroot family to Hawaii on a deep-sea fishing adventure. Due to strong winds and intense waves, they were unable to go on the fishing trip.
Since then the family has found their outdoor retreat a little closer to home, here in Hilton Head Island. They’ve been coming to the island for the past five years and Austin has gone after the “big catch” each year. On the last visit they came to visit us at Hilton Head Outfitters and we set them up with fishing extraordinaire, Captain Trent. Finally, Austin was able to reel in the big one: a redfish!
After a great day on the Palmetto Dunes lagoon fishing, Austin said “Mom, my life is fulfilled I've done everything I've ever wanted to do!” We’re very thankful to have been a part of Austin’s big day and great catch and hope to see the DeGroot family on the island for many more years to come!
If your kids are looking to try something new and exciting this summer then head down to Hilton Head Outfitters and sign up for our surf camp! The classes are 90 minutes long and available for all ages. Captain Byron Sewell gives private attention to all attendees and brings his radical experience to the class!
Captain Byron was born on Hilton Head Island and has been a competitive surfer for 12 years. He has 5 State Championship titles and has even won an East Coast Championship. When he’s not in Hilton Head helping your child catch a wave, you can find him either in Hawaii or in Costa Rica from November through May running a surfing adventure guide.
Every class starts with a 10-minute yoga stretch to get everyone loose and in the right frame of mind. All classes are full of laughter and he ends each session with a watermelon seed spitting contest! So get your children out there for fun in the surf so they can tell everyone they’ve been surfing in Hilton Head. Cowabunga dudes!
On Saturday, May 21, 450 athletes will test their strength, endurance and mental toughness by participating in the Hilton Head Triathlon presented by CalU. Beginning at 7 a.m., you’ll see these men and women complete a 500-meter swim, 20-km bike ride and finish up with a 5k run.