If you like to fish, but are looking for an even bigger adventure, try shark fishing. Captain Miles Altman and Bayrunner offer shark fishing charters out of Shelter Cove Marina throughout summer, a great time to hunt for sharks.
Around Hilton Head Island you can find many different types of sharks like Atlantic sharp nose, blacktips, spinners, dusky, lemon, bull and tiger sharks. Captain Miles says that at times in the summer, it’s hard not to catch one! “You haven’t been to Hilton Head until you have caught a shark,” he says.
Captain Miles says sharks can be lots of fun to catch, and kids especially will enjoy the battle and later bragging rights. What kid wouldn’t love to share a picture of his freshly caught shark with all his or her friends?
Blacktips and spinners like to add an aerial aspect to the battle, says Captain Miles, while bulls and tigers offer a brutish slugfest guaranteed to leave you with some sore muscles. Expect to have a bent rod by the time you’re finished!
Check out this video of a huge 10-foot tiger shark caught in Hilton Head after a two-hour fight.
Fishing with Captain Miles is a great experience, as he’s been trolling the waters of the Atlantic for more than 40 years and knows just where to find the best Hilton Head sharks.
The Bayrunner is a 24-foot boat that holds four people for a 3-hour evening shark fishing excursion. Book your shark fishing charter by calling us at 866-650-4130. W can’t wait to see your pictures!
A must-do on any Hilton head vacation is a boat charter. You just simply have to see Hilton Head Island by water and enjoy its plentiful fishing. Just across the road from Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is a deep water marina at Shelter Cove where you can find a variety of Hilton Head fishing charters from offshore fishing to shark fishing and crabbing.
Here’s a few that you can choose from on your visit to Hilton Head Island:
Hop aboard the Bayrunner, a 24-foot boat holding a group of four, and head out with a captain with more than 40 years of experience trolling the waters of Hilton Head. Learn how to hook a catch, reel it in, clean it and cook it. Watch their video:
Gullah Gal & True Grits
The 34-foot Gullah Gal and True Grits hold up to 6 people each for anywhere from a 3-hour to a 10-hour fishing excursion. You’ll head about 15 miles from shore to find monster sharks (up to 1000 pounds!), barracuda, sting rays and more, as well as enjoy wildlife like dolphins, eagles and osprey.
Board the brand new 26-foot Finatic with 10 of your closest friends for the fishing adventure of a lifetime! They offer 3-hour trips and have a dolphin guarantee, ensuring that you’ll see one of these friendly creatures. They specialize in shark fishing and also offer a Tuesday night HarbourFest fireworks cruise.
A great activity for kids, crabbing on the Crabber J takes you to Broad Creek where you’ll learn how to catch a blue crab and then release it. Whoever catches the most wins the world-famous Crabber J T-shirt! Each trip is an hour and 45 minutes. Call them directly at 843-422-5110 to book.
To book a Hilton Head fishing charter, give us a call at 866-650-4130. Here’s hoping you reel in a big one!
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
If you’re a fan of the water, and we’re guessing you are if you’re visiting Hilton Head, then Shelter Cove Marina is a spot not to be missed! From this beautiful marina, located along Broad Creek just off the Intracoastal Waterway, you can enjoy so many of the water sports and activities that Hilton Head has to offer.
Many visitors to Hilton Head come by boat and choose to dock their boats with us in the marina. Our 15.5 acre marina is the largest deep water yacht basin in Hilton Head and offers 170 boat slips for boats up to 135 feet long. We’ve seen many a beautiful yacht pull into the marina!
Shelter Cove Marina also offers a variety of charters, cruises and other activities. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter into the Atlantic to catch sharks, barracuda, kings, grouper, marlin and lots of other deep sea fish. Head out for a day of sailing on the 40-foot Special K, or enjoy a sunset dinner cruise or dolphin cruise to see some of the island’s most famous mammals and best views.
At the marina, you can also rent your own boat, go skiing or tubing in Broad Creek, rent kayaks or canoes to explore the area and more. Another fun activity for families is sport crabbing on the Crabber J. Whoever catches the most crabs by the end of the excursion wins a T-shirt!
Be sure to stop by the Ship’s Store and ask for Shipmaster Dave while you’re visiting. The store carries all sorts of marine gear, as well as stylish apparel for wearing on the water like Columbia shirts, Costa del Mar sunglasses, Guy Harvey and more. You’ll also find snacks, drinks, grocery items and lots of other supplies you might need for a day on the water.
What activity will you choose to do when you visit the marina?
For more information about marina rates or booking a charter or cruise, call us at 866-744-7558.