TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, it’s just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home – Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities – Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by booking Hilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Come December, January and February we see a lot of our friends from up north visit the island for a week, for a month or even for several months. We welcome them with open arms to give them the opportunity to soak up the warmth of a southern winter and enjoy the many fun and varied activities we have at the resort.
Here are the top 6 things we think Canadians and Northerners love most about Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Obvious: It’s Warmer - Here on Hilton Head Island, the average winter high temperatures stay in the 60’s, giving Canadians a break from the freezing temperatures and a chance to get outdoors and work off some of that northern chill on the golf course or biking. See average highs by month at Palmetto Dunes.
2) It’s Active – There’s no sitting around lounging in your Hilton Head vacation home here at Palmetto Dunes… unless that’s all you want to do. We give you plenty of options to keep you busy from two hours of free tennis court time with each night’s stay to three championship Hilton Head golf courses to choose from to Hilton Head bike rentals, kayaking and fishing. There’s no reason to ever use the word “bored” at Palmetto Dunes!
3) It’s Green – It’s so nice to see green when you’ve been staring at snow white for several weeks. Our golf courses offer rolling greens, and you can enjoy an exceptional pace of play during the off season to boot. Enjoy the palmetto trees (the Sabal palmetto is the South Carolina state tree) standing stately in the sun and on warmer days, see a variety of wildlife coming out to catch some rays.
4) It’s Fun – Canadians -- and all guests – will no doubt find themselves grinning as they stroll the beach, beat par and reel in a big red here at the resort. We offer so much to do and it’s all smile-inducing!
5) It’s on the Ocean – Who doesn’t love to listen to the waves crash, feel their toes in the sand and take a calming beach walk? There’s just something about coming to the ocean that melts all the stress (and snow!) away – anytime of year.
6) It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – In addition to all the great things we mentioned above, it really is the most wonderful time of year and what better way to spend the holidays than at Palmetto Dunes! We offer a variety of packages to cater to anyone visiting with us, including our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership, Winter Escape Special, monthly golf and tennis memberships, bike rentals and more.
Are you ready to escape the snow and frigid cold? Come visit us this winter and get out of the big chill! Our temperatures, friendly faces and unlimited activities will warm you up in no time. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to book your Hilton Head vacation today.
Once again this fall, Thursdays at Shelter Cove Harbour mean live music, beautiful sunsets and lots of food and drink! The Music on the Harbour concert series, which brought big crowds to the popular shopping and dining village overlooking Broad Creek last fall and earlier this spring, will return in October for four Thursdays.
From 6-9 p.m., October 3, 10, 17 and 24, local bands will take the stage at Shelter Cove. Get out your dancing shoes and dance the night away as the sun sets behind you over Broad Creek. The Headliners will perform October 3 & 17, while Target Band will entertain on October 10 & 24.
While there’s always plenty of dining available at Shelter Cove Harbour when you’re ready for dinner, a new addition this fall is Taste on the Harbour which will run at the same time as the concert series. Shelter Cove restaurants will provide small plates of food by Neptune Statue for a sampling of what they have to offer. There will also be drink specials, including $3 beers, $4 wines and $5 cocktails.
The event is entirely free to attend, though it is weather dependent. Stay tuned to the Palmetto Dunes Facebook page and Twitter account for updates and cancellations. Additionally, no coolers or outside food are allowed at the event.
Here’s a video of last fall’s Music on the Harbour event to give you a sneak peak of the fun you can expect:
See you at Shelter Cove this fall!
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
Part of the experience of the beach is enjoying outdoor entertainment, either under the South Carolina sun or at nighttime under the stars. Hilton Head Island offers a myriad of ways you can enjoy live shows from kids’ performances to concerts to solo performers. Here’s a list of current schedules to get you started!
The Dunes House
One of our favorite spots on Hilton Head Island is the Dunes House located within our resort. Open only to guests of the resort and property owners, the Dunes House is a big perk of staying with us! Located right on the beach, you can enjoy good food and great ocean views.
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the Dunes House has live entertainment from either singer/guitarist Luke Mitchell or the Spanish Guitar Trio. Both are popular favorites and offer varieties of easygoing music that sets the tone for a relaxing evening at the beach. The Dunes House also has Lobster Night on Tuesdays and Snow Crab Night on Fridays. Check out their current calendar here.
Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza
Located conveniently on the Robert Trent Jones Hilton Head golf course within the resort, Big Jim’s is a family-friendly Hilton Head restaurant with a variety of fare from salads and chicken to a range of burgers and plenty of BBQ. Enjoy live music from Luke Mitchell Thursdays from 5-9 p.m.
Shelter Cove Harbour
If you’ve got kids with you, don’t miss the Shannon Tanner Show at HarbourFest Monday-Thursday at Shelter Cove Harbour with shows at 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Family performer Shannon Tanner entertains for his 25th year with kid-friendly tunes, lyrics you’ll never forget and his famous beanie propeller hat! Be sure to get your kids their own hat that Tanner can sign with an inspirational message each year they attend. Come on Tuesday evenings and enjoy fireworks at dusk, weather permitting through mid August.
A new addition to the summer line-up at Shelter Cove for 2013 is Parrot Palooza on Fridays, starting at 7 p.m. Enjoy an island-themed sunset celebration with live entertainment from Shannon Tanner and the Oyster Reefers, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band.
Many of the restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour also offer live music many nights during the summer. Try San Miguel’s, Little Venice or Scott’s Fish Market to get you started. Just follow the music!
Where’s your favorite spot to enjoy live music in Hilton Head? Hopefully, it’s one of the places we mentioned above :-). What song do you love to hear when at the beach?
When you visit Hilton Head Island, one thing on your must-do list is ride your bike! The island offers more than 50 miles of paved bike paths, and just within Palmetto Dunes alone there are plenty of places to ride your bike from the beach and the Dunes House open to resort guests to the General Store and Shelter Cove Harbour.
Our very own Hilton Head Outfitters is our resource for all things bike related on the island. They offer Hilton Head bike rentals and bike equipment rentals and can help you navigate the many bike paths within the resort and beyond.
To make it even easier to rent your bikes in Hilton Head, we’ve created a new program that allows you to rent them right from your mobile phone! You can book your bike literally from anywhere whether you’re lying at the beach, playing a round of golf or eating dinner.
There are a variety of options for renting your bike via our mobile program. You can text BIKE to 843-627-0007 to get access to our mobile website; alternately, you can scan a QR code which will be posted on a sign at Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. Lastly, you can call us at 843-627-0007 or visit the mobile site directly at www.needabike.info. Be sure to bookmark it!
When you arrive at the mobile site, choose the dates you need your bikes and then review your bike choices, which include cruisers, kids’ bikes, fat tire sand bikes, tandems and more. From within the mobile program, you can also rent bike equipment, including helmets, baskets, kiddie carts and tag-a-longs.
Simply make your selections, enter your contact and payment information and your bike will be delivered directly to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home on the date requested and picked up on the date of return.
The mobile program also provides Hilton Head bike route maps that you can access while on your bike of both the island bike trails and lagoon bike trails.
We hope you like our new Need a Bike mobile booking option. Try it and let us know what you think!
With the holidays complete and much of the country engulfed in winter weather galore, many people are starting to plan their spring or summer South Carolina beach vacation. This is a good thing :)! When you book early, you get the worm!
We’ve got 5 reasons why you should book your beach vacation early to make sure you get the most out of your Hilton Head trip:
1) Savings! The first ( and best!) reason to book early is because you will save money. Who could argue with that?! Right now, Palmetto Dunes is offering 20% off Hilton Head vacation homes or villas plus FREE bikes for stays through 3/15/13. If you’re coming in summer, get 10% off all Hilton Head vacation rentals for stays 3/15-9/1/13, as well as free tennis! When you book your Hilton Head golf tee time in advance, you can save up to HALF off our regular resort rate. Those savings won’t last forever!
2) Take your pick – When you plan ahead of time, you get YOUR pick of Hilton Head vacation homes and Hilton Head golf tee times, as well as for activities such as dolphin cruises, charters, golf and tennis lessons and more.
3) Confirm your reservations – During our peak periods like spring break and the summer months, we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals and our most popular tee times and cruise times. By booking now, you can ensure you’ve got all the activities confirmed that your family would like to do ideally at the times you want to do them.
4) Time to plan – Want to take a day trip to Daufuskie Island or down to Savannah, planning to meet your friends from across the country for dinner, not sure whether to drive or fly? Planning now lets you take your time working out all the fine details, lets you research the most cost-saving options and ensures you’ve thoroughly looked into all the options and picked the right ones for your group.
5) Time to dream! – Of course, a big benefit of booking early is plenty of time to dream about your Hilton Head vacation. Snow piling outside the window? No worries! You’ll be in Hilton Head this spring or summer and it will all melt away. If winter’s really got you down, take a look at our webcams to give you a little pep in your step. Your vacation will be here before you know it!
Can we help you plan your spring or summer Hilton Head vacation? Call us today at 866-744-7558 and we’ll make sure you start the planning process early, get the best Hilton Head vacation villa for your needs, reserve plenty of bikes and get in all the activities your family wants to do at the time you want to do them. See you soon!
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
It’s getting to be the time of year where the weather up north starts to get cold, with snow and chilling winds as the norm. But here in Hilton Head the weather is mild year round with the average high between 60 and 72 November through February. In fact, you can check our website home page any time of year for the current temperature and see our Hilton Head weather chart for average highs year round.
With sunny days so tempting, we have lots of folks who like to come spend a month or more with us in the winter, and to cater to these loyal guests, we offer a variety of fun options to keep them busy at our Hilton Head beach resort.
Our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership is great for active individuals who love to enjoy the great outdoors. It includes resort accommodations for 30 days in a Hilton Head vacation home or villa, unlimited golf on our three legendary Hilton Head golf courses and bike rentals throughout your stay, two two-hour kayak rentals to enjoy our calm 11-mile lagoon system, two hours of tennis court time daily and the best rates on all other activities at the resort. Plan to burn a few calories with this monthly sports membership!
Golf aficionados will love our Monthly Golf Membership that gives you a 30-day unlimited golf pass to our three championship courses. You also receive discounts at our Hilton Head golf pro shops, golf grills and range. Imagine how much your golf game will improve with so much practice!
If you’re a tennis player, you’ll be excited to know that with any stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed Hilton Head vacation villa or home, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily. So play your heart out!
Outdoor enthusiasts may enjoy a weekly – or even yearly -- kayak or canoe rental from Hilton Head Outfitters. Yearly members pay $199 for one person for unlimited use of the store’s standard kayaks and canoes in the Palmetto Dunes inland lagoon system, as well as receive half off for a second person and 10% off all other rental equipment. Monthly bike passes are also available for $59.99 for exploring the more than 50 miles of paved Hilton Head bike paths.
Which monthly sports membership is ideal for you? Call our vacation planners today to schedule your chance to get out of the cold and into the bright Hilton Head sun this winter!
A long weekend is on the horizon (Yay!). And we can’t think of a better way to spend your days off than on a Labor Day golf getaway to Palmetto Dunes!
Here’s a rundown of the things you can do at this ever popular South Carolina golf resort, including plenty of golf but some other Hilton Head activities, as well:
The Hilton Head Celebrity Golf Tournament kicks off Friday Aug. 31, 2012 at our famed Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course, one of our three world-class golf courses. Since 1979, the annual event has raised more than $3.8 million for well-deserving children’s charities of the South Carolina Lowcountry.
Celebrities at this year’s tournament include actors Richard Schiff of The West Wing and Brian Baumgartner, Kevin from The Office; TV personalities Paul Goodloe of the Weather Channel and Holly Sonders of Golf Channel’s Morning Drive; numerous professional athletes and plenty of South Carolina favorites including Bobby Cremins; and George Rogers, NFL running back, University of South Carolina graduate and 1980 Heisman Trophy winner.
While you won’t be able to play the Jones course Friday (it will be closed for the tournament), you can certainly go and enjoy the festivities! Or you could plan to play one (or both) of the other golf courses at Palmetto Dunes: the George Fazio Course (called the most challenging course in Hilton Head) and the Arthur Hills Course (with 10 holes on the water!). Of course, the Jones course will be back open on Saturday and Sunday.
We also have a special deal right now on Saturday that you can take advantage of while in town. If you book a tee time after 11 a.m. you get half off resort rates if you use code SSSPECIAL12 and book your tee time online here.
While HarbourFest fireworks are over for the season, Shannon Tanner hasn’t gone home yet! Shannon is a family entertainer, who’s been singing and playing music to crowds at Shelter Cove since 1988. Shannon will be performing Friday at 6:30 and 8 p.m. with other live entertainment Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Cappy the Clown will be on hand 6-9 p.m. all weekend and there will be lots of other family activities to do, as well. So bring the whole bunch and experience a new family tradition!
Bike Around Town
Rent a bike from Hilton Head Outfitters, THE place for Hilton Head bike rentals, and explore. Hilton Head Island has more than 50 miles of bike paths that take you beneath live oaks draped with Spanish moss, past creeks and marshes, and close to an assortment of beautiful flowers in bloom.
What’s going on Labor Day weekend at Palmetto Dunes? As you can see, a lot! In addition to the events above, be sure to check out our event calendar for more information on daily tennis clinics, golf demonstrations and after-hours activities at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort! Enjoy your long weekend!
What does Palmetto Dunes have that other resorts don’t? Three miles of sandy Hilton Head Island beach on the Atlantic Ocean and great weather that lets you take advantage of it nearly year round. We also give you plenty of ways to enjoy the beach, whether it’s views from your Hilton Head vacation home or rental, dining options on the beach or activities from biking to surfing to keep you busy throughout your Hilton Head getaway.
There are plenty of access points to reach the beach, either from the residential areas as you pedal around or from our resort facilities. One of our favorite ways to enjoy—and access--the beach is the Dunes House, which is centrally located Palmetto Dunes and open to guests of the resort. In addition to casual food and drinks with one of the best dining views on the island, you’ll also find restrooms and limited parking. We suggest you call the Dunes Buggy for a free ride to the Dunes House!
Biking is also another great way to enjoy the beach at Palmetto Dunes. Get some exercise and enjoy beautiful views of the ocean at the same time. Try going for a ride at sunrise or sunset for a particularly inspiring experience. If you don’t want to lug your bikes with you down to Hilton Head, you can rent them from Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. They’ll have them delivered direct to your home and villa so they’re ready to ride as soon as you arrive. Hilton Head Outfitters offers a range of bikes and options, and we’d suggest trying their fat tire bikes which are designed for easier beach riding.
At Palmetto Dunes, you can also surf and fish at the beach. We offer surfing classes at our Hilton Head Surf School and surf board rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters. We also have everything a fisherman needs for a great day of fishing. Rent your rod and reel online and head into the Outfitters store just inside the resort to pick up bait or anything else you might need before you head out.
Or go for a more relaxed approach. Kick back, enjoy the sounds of the ocean and send the kids out to build a sand castle, but keeping a close eye on them, of course. Check out a few tips for a safe trip to the beach. Beach games are also lots of fun and we have some great beach game suggestions to keep the whole family entertained.
Whether you’d rather dash into the waves, laze in the sand or cruise along the shore on a beach bike, when it comes to the beach at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we think it’s pretty much perfect.
January is the month where many Americans are gung-ho with their list of New Year’s resolutions. Lots of people are hitting the gym and checking out the health food isles at the grocery store, but we’ve also heard many people say they also resolve to spend more time with family. If you’ve been trying to get your immediate, or extended, family together for a while or want to plan a family reunion, why get the gang together at Palmetto Dunes?
Between our beautiful homes and villas, three world-renowned golf courses, tennis, bikes, fishing, shopping and the beach, every person in your family will be happy and entertained. What many people don’t realize when deciding where to stay Hilton Head is that when you stay with Palmetto Dunes, you get the best deals available on all the activities at the resort, as well as lagoon activities and boat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour. You also get two free hours of tennis time each day!
Shelter Cove Harbour, just across the road from the resort, is also a great place to take the fam, because there are plentiful restaurants to enjoy each night and a variety of shops to peruse. Our group planners can even help create a special dinner at The Dunes House or a more formal party to celebrate your family reunion.
So, ring up your family, start matching up calendars and settle on a date. Then give us a ring at 866-744-7558 or click here and we’ll handle the rest.
We hope to see your whole gang here soon!
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
While most of the country is bundling up and sitting by their fireplaces, here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we’re out and about playing in 70-degree weather. From tennis and golf to fishing and kayaking, the activities don’t slow down here in Hilton Head when winter rolls in. To keep our winter visitors, active we’ve got some great seasonal deals for the tennis, golf or outdoors fanatic.
Hilton Head Outfitters is offering unlimited biking, kayaking and canoeing throughout the winter. For $49 per person you can rent a bike for the whole month or you can buy a bike for 25% off! Guests can also buy a year membership for $300 per couple or $199 per person, and enjoy unlimited kayak and canoe rentals!
Winter is actually the best time to start fishing in our lagoon system, because red fish, speckled sea trout and sheephead are bountiful. Head on over to Shelter Cove Harbour to take one of the many fishing charters with Captain Trent Malphrus. You’re sure to reel in a big one!
If tennis is more up your alley, you can purchase a monthly membership through February for only $200 per person that includes two hours of court time per day. Finally, if you’d like to play with us AND stay with us, we’ve got a 30-night resort accommodations package that includes golf, bikes, kayaks and tennis starting at only $1,200 per person. We think that’s a deal!
Call us 866-744-7558 and find out all the ways you can save this winter season!
While winter may slow down most of the country, visitors to Hilton Head can stay active no matter the time of year. With daytime temperatures averaging between 50-60 degrees during the winter, it’s great weather to get outside and play a round of golf with us here at Palmetto Dunes.
This winter we’re offering two new golf packages and programs that will not only help improve your game but will bring a little piece of Canada to our Island.
If you’re looking to improve your golf game while the weather is milder, the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy is offering a new “Five Ways to Better Golf” assessment and coaching package. Led by Doug Weaver, Palmetto Dunes’ director of golf instruction, guests receive assessments of the following five systems of their golf game: mental, full swing technical, short game technical, equipment and fitness.
Hailing from Granby, Quebec, Michel Dion, joins our golf team this winter to help with instruction. Winter brings many of our Canadian golfers to Hilton Head and Dion’s experience and French-speaking abilities will bring a whole new dynamic to Palmetto Dunes.
Spend your winter with us improving every aspect of your golf game, and we’ll have you looking like a star in time for spring and summer!
It might be freezing outside and you’re thinking more about wearing scarves than swimsuits but this Christmas why not get the family a present that will warm everyone’s heart? A trip to Hilton Head Island!
Here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort you can find the perfect home or villa located near the ocean, golf course or lagoon depending on how your loved ones want to spend their vacation.
2118 Windsor Place has an oceanfront view and plenty of space for your whole family. The large open balcony is a great place to drink your coffee in the morning or wind down at night to the sound of tbhe ocean breeze. Enjoy views of the ocean from your private balcony overlooking an oceanfront pool with a spa, barbecue area and children's pool.
We know that many families love to gather in the kitchen and this unit has a spacious kitchen that’s open to the living and dining room. Another great feature is that all four bedrooms have their own private bathroom, making it easy for everyone to clean up and get ready after a day in the sand. The Arthur Hills golf course is a short walk away for all the golfers in the family, and you can enjoy two hours of free tennis court time each day you stay with us!
So call us now at 866-744-7558 and get the whole family a gift they will truly enjoy. Also, when you book early, you’re eligible for some really amazing deals!
We don’t want your vacation in Hilton Head to feel like an episode of Gilligan’s Island or Lost. We know that sometimes it can be confusing to get around the Island, and we want to provide you with the best Hilton Head maps to help you navigate the perfect vacation.
If you’re looking for a general map of Hilton Head Island, try the Chamber. Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and Shelter Cove Harbour are located directly in the middle of Hilton Head Island off of 278 West. Once you make it in the resort, the Welcome Center can provide you with helpful maps of the resort, Shelter Cove or directions to any location on the Island.
For those who want to prepare in advance, we have several maps that will let you know your location at all times. If you’re staying with us at Palmetto Dunes, we have maps for each section of the resort from the villas at Windsor Place to Captains Quarters. If you’re coming to participate in many of the activities, we provide this map can help you get to all three golf courses, Hilton Head Outfitters and even the Conference Centers. We even have a special map for all the bikers out there outlining all the biking trails on the entire Island!
So the next time you’re here don’t spend any of your time wondering how to get to Shelter Cove Harbour or The Dunes House, let us do the work for you!
Here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we love our guests! Whether you stay with us year-round, visit for a week or come for the day to enjoy our activities we value you all. One special guest, Austin, touched our hearts when he came for a fishing excursion with Captain Trent Malphrus.
For more than six years, Austin has been battling acute lymphocyte leukemia, which he was diagnosed with at 8 years old. After three years of treatments, his love of basketball was taken from him but a newfound passion for hunting, fishing and music was awakened inside him. The Make-A-Wish foundation granted his wish and sent the DeGroot family to Hawaii on a deep-sea fishing adventure. Due to strong winds and intense waves, they were unable to go on the fishing trip.
Since then the family has found their outdoor retreat a little closer to home, here in Hilton Head Island. They’ve been coming to the island for the past five years and Austin has gone after the “big catch” each year. On the last visit they came to visit us at Hilton Head Outfitters and we set them up with fishing extraordinaire, Captain Trent. Finally, Austin was able to reel in the big one: a redfish!
After a great day on the Palmetto Dunes lagoon fishing, Austin said “Mom, my life is fulfilled I've done everything I've ever wanted to do!” We’re very thankful to have been a part of Austin’s big day and great catch and hope to see the DeGroot family on the island for many more years to come!
You work hard to stay in shape when you’re at home, and you certainly don’t want to let all that hard work go to waste by stopping on vacation. No worries. When you come to Palmetto Dunes, we’ve got you covered. Hilton Head Island is the perfect place to run, bike or even try something new, like beachfront yoga! Here are some options to help you return with the same, or better, beach bod that you arrived with:
Hilton Head Outfitters offers a wide variety of bicycles to rent. Guests can bike through the smooth streets, which are perfect for a calm, breezy ride. If you’re up for more of a challenge, try a vigorous ride on the beach, which can burn up to 500 calories an hour! Another Palmetto Dunes activity that really gets the blood flowing is Cardio Tennis!
If you are a yoga enthusiast, you’ve got plenty to choose from. With many yoga studios around the island, you’re sure to find the right fit! Our favorite is oceanfront yoga. What could be a better workout than practicing poses with the waves crashing serenely in the background? Beach Yoga is available in front of the Dunes House on Palmetto Dunes taught by Pamela Eaton.
If you’re interested in visiting a more traditional gym, there are several on the island to try. We have an Anytime Fitness, Beach City Health and Fitness and Players Club Fitness Center to name a few. But, if you’re looking for an awesome challenge we suggest trying CrossFit. Our own tennis maven, Jackie, attends each morning and highly recommends it!
So whether you’re into tennis, biking, running or lifting here in Hilton Head Island, we’ve got all you need to get your sweat on! Let us know if you try any of our suggestions and how they “work out”.
The weather is starting to cool down which means it’s a great time to get a group of friends or bring your loved one on a golf getaway here at Palmetto Dunes. There’s no better time to play golf than in the fall here in South Carolina. We have tons of beautiful Hilton Head rental homes and villas that overlook one of our three award winning golf courses but 951 Inverness is a must-see villa!
Remodeled in 2009 and situated on the 12th hole of the George Fazio course, this three-bedroom, three- bath villa is perfect for a group or a family. After a morning on the fairways you can cool off in the community pool that’s only a short walk from your villa or chill out by watching TV on the flat screen in the living room!
Make sure to take advantage of our other activities, such as the two hours of free tennis court time and discounted bike rentals, that you receive when you book your villa through Palmetto Dunes. Another great bonus of renting with Palmetto Dunes is that you can enjoy lunch, dinner or mid-afternoon cocktails at The Dunes House!
951 Inverness is ready to make your fall golf outing perfect, so check out its availability, gather up your gang of guys or group of gals and call us at 866.380.1778. Fore!
Fall means football, falling leaves and cooling temperatures but here at Palmetto Dunes, it also means lots of tennis. Over the span of three months, we host four diverse tournaments with a mixture of locals and visitors – both young and old!
To kick off the fall tennis season, we’re hosting the 3rd Annual Palmetto Dunes Tennis Fall Classic Sep. 2-4 and if you’re interested in playing you need to register by Sunday, Aug. 28. We end the month with our 26th Annual Banana Open Challenge that showcases top Banana Tournament players from across the southeast.
If you’re with us in November, come out and play in our 17th Annual Wild Wing Café “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Classic. This tournament is open to visitors and locals in mixed doubles or men’s and women’s doubles teams. The fall tennis season is wrapped up Nov. 18-20 with the David M. Carmine’s Memorial Tennis Championship. This tournament is open to all adults but juniors must have a current USTA membership to participate.
Want to stay up to date on all tennis events and tournaments at Palmetto Dunes? Find them on our website along with downloadable entry forms! Keep in mind that if you’re looking for a great fall getaway, every vacation booked through Palmetto Dunes directly includes 2 hours of free tennis court time daily! We hope to see you on the courts this fall and out and about in our beautiful resort!
If your kids are looking to try something new and exciting this summer then head down to Hilton Head Outfitters and sign up for our surf camp! The classes are 90 minutes long and available for all ages. Captain Byron Sewell gives private attention to all attendees and brings his radical experience to the class!
Captain Byron was born on Hilton Head Island and has been a competitive surfer for 12 years. He has 5 State Championship titles and has even won an East Coast Championship. When he’s not in Hilton Head helping your child catch a wave, you can find him either in Hawaii or in Costa Rica from November through May running a surfing adventure guide.
Every class starts with a 10-minute yoga stretch to get everyone loose and in the right frame of mind. All classes are full of laughter and he ends each session with a watermelon seed spitting contest! So get your children out there for fun in the surf so they can tell everyone they’ve been surfing in Hilton Head. Cowabunga dudes!
Here’s some good news for all of our athletes out there: playing other sports can help your golf game! The reason? The motion involved in other athletic activities, such as swinging a tennis racket, hitting a baseball or throwing a Frisbee, are very similar to the mechanics used in a golf swing.
An article in Golf Tips magazine encourages readers to hold a football and pretend to be a quarterback handing off a ball to the running back. This motion is similar to the initial takeaway of a golf swing. “Just as you would with a football handoff, the takeaway begins with the rotation of the body to the right and the club out in front of the chest.” By practicing motions with sports you’re already comfortable with, you can start breaking down the individual motions in a golf swing.
Our resident golf pro at Palmetto Dunes, Doug Weaver, is an avid believer in this athletic approach to improving your golf game. Weaver says, “You will play better tennis if you play golf and vice versa.” At Doug’s junior clinics, the kids do football drills, soccer drills and even hula hooping to help them loosen their hips and improve their follow-through motion.
So remember, the master of another sport CAN master golf too.
If you’re a Beaufort County resident, it’s time to take advantage of our Thursday afternoon Golf Fest event. Join us each week from 3:30 to 4 p.m. (time varies seasonally) and learn more about each of our three golf courses over a period of three weeks. It’s only $20 to play 9 holes and we provide chicken wings and beer afterward! Golf Fest is a way for Beaufort County residents to experience our courses and meet our pros – and learn more about becoming Palmetto Dunes golf members. If you’re interested, contact Samm Wolfe at the George Fazio Course at 843-816-1571.
There’s no doubt that kids of all ages (including adults!) love Shannon Tanner, a longtime fixture at Harbourfest in Shelter Cove Harbour, our hallmark event of the year. Tourists and locals come from near and far to do the “crazy hair dance” and see Shannon don his trademark beanie each summer night while singing song after family-friendly song. But one recent visitor had an even more memorable experience than most: bonding with his daughter in a moment that he’ll never forget. This father wrote us to tell us how his 8-year-old daughter was upset that she was missing her school’s father/daughter dance because of their recent Hilton Head vacation. A little sad, she and her family headed out to Harbourfest and found themselves along with many families enjoying the fun that is Shannon Tanner. He writes: “It was about that time in the show where you asked the little girls to grab their dads for a song you were about to do. For the first time in the day she got excited and grabbed my hand and dragged me up to dance with her. You then sang a song I had never heard before and it was a moment in my life that I will never forget. It was Cinderella. As I listened to the words, I related to the song and couldn't hold back my emotions as I held my little girl while we danced together.” Later that night, she told him she was so happy because she got to dance with her dad after all. “I melted right then and there,” said the dad. “I have since downloaded the song from iTunes and can't listen to [it] without remembering that night and getting emotional.” We’re so glad that this family will have happy memories of Shelter Cove, Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head forever, and we hope you’ll come make your own memories, as well.
If you’ve ever played the Robert Trent Jones course on a Thursday then you’ve definitely seen and, if you’re lucky, had the pleasure of meeting Starter, Sammy Mulrain. Sammy has been with us at Palmetto Dunes for more than 30 years and he is one of very few people who can say they’ve never missed a day of work. Sammy’s never even been late! Sammy, who is 95, might have gotten his work ethic when he stormed Normandy in World War II or maybe even when he played baseball with “The Scooter” himself, Phil Rizzuto. After living across the world, he moved to Hilton Head, S.C. and we are so grateful he did. Sammy gives back to our community by working with several non-profits in the area. For example, he spends his own time collecting lost golf balls, which a local church can then sell as a fund-raising activity. Sammy won the 2009 Employee of the Year award from Lowcountry Golf Course Owners Association, a much deserved recognition, but to us here at Palmetto Dunes, but he’s Employee of the Century! We love ya Sammy!