Come December, January and February we see a lot of our friends from up north visit the island for a week, for a month or even for several months. We welcome them with open arms to give them the opportunity to soak up the warmth of a southern winter and enjoy the many fun and varied activities we have at the resort.
Here are the top 6 things we think Canadians and Northerners love most about Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Obvious: It’s Warmer - Here on Hilton Head Island, the average winter high temperatures stay in the 60’s, giving Canadians a break from the freezing temperatures and a chance to get outdoors and work off some of that northern chill on the golf course or biking. See average highs by month at Palmetto Dunes.
2) It’s Active – There’s no sitting around lounging in your Hilton Head vacation home here at Palmetto Dunes… unless that’s all you want to do. We give you plenty of options to keep you busy from two hours of free tennis court time with each night’s stay to three championship Hilton Head golf courses to choose from to Hilton Head bike rentals, kayaking and fishing. There’s no reason to ever use the word “bored” at Palmetto Dunes!
3) It’s Green – It’s so nice to see green when you’ve been staring at snow white for several weeks. Our golf courses offer rolling greens, and you can enjoy an exceptional pace of play during the off season to boot. Enjoy the palmetto trees (the Sabal palmetto is the South Carolina state tree) standing stately in the sun and on warmer days, see a variety of wildlife coming out to catch some rays.
4) It’s Fun – Canadians -- and all guests – will no doubt find themselves grinning as they stroll the beach, beat par and reel in a big red here at the resort. We offer so much to do and it’s all smile-inducing!
5) It’s on the Ocean – Who doesn’t love to listen to the waves crash, feel their toes in the sand and take a calming beach walk? There’s just something about coming to the ocean that melts all the stress (and snow!) away – anytime of year.
6) It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – In addition to all the great things we mentioned above, it really is the most wonderful time of year and what better way to spend the holidays than at Palmetto Dunes! We offer a variety of packages to cater to anyone visiting with us, including our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership, Winter Escape Special, monthly golf and tennis memberships, bike rentals and more.
Are you ready to escape the snow and frigid cold? Come visit us this winter and get out of the big chill! Our temperatures, friendly faces and unlimited activities will warm you up in no time. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to book your Hilton Head vacation today.
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
If you’re a fan of the water, and we’re guessing you are if you’re visiting Hilton Head, then Shelter Cove Marina is a spot not to be missed! From this beautiful marina, located along Broad Creek just off the Intracoastal Waterway, you can enjoy so many of the water sports and activities that Hilton Head has to offer.
Many visitors to Hilton Head come by boat and choose to dock their boats with us in the marina. Our 15.5 acre marina is the largest deep water yacht basin in Hilton Head and offers 170 boat slips for boats up to 135 feet long. We’ve seen many a beautiful yacht pull into the marina!
Shelter Cove Marina also offers a variety of charters, cruises and other activities. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter into the Atlantic to catch sharks, barracuda, kings, grouper, marlin and lots of other deep sea fish. Head out for a day of sailing on the 40-foot Special K, or enjoy a sunset dinner cruise or dolphin cruise to see some of the island’s most famous mammals and best views.
At the marina, you can also rent your own boat, go skiing or tubing in Broad Creek, rent kayaks or canoes to explore the area and more. Another fun activity for families is sport crabbing on the Crabber J. Whoever catches the most crabs by the end of the excursion wins a T-shirt!
Be sure to stop by the Ship’s Store and ask for Shipmaster Dave while you’re visiting. The store carries all sorts of marine gear, as well as stylish apparel for wearing on the water like Columbia shirts, Costa del Mar sunglasses, Guy Harvey and more. You’ll also find snacks, drinks, grocery items and lots of other supplies you might need for a day on the water.
What activity will you choose to do when you visit the marina?
For more information about marina rates or booking a charter or cruise, call us at 866-744-7558.
There are just certain things you MUST do on any vacation and of course, here on Hilton Head Island, we think there are a few items that should be on every visitor’s bucket list. Here is the Palmetto Dunes’ Hilton Head Bucket List for every island vacationer:
1) Get your picture taken at King Neptune Statue at Shelter Cove Harbour – This iconic statue at Shelter Cove Harbour, just across from the resort, is actually a sundial. But a pic with this guy is a favorite of vacationers, so add it to your list and post it on Facebook (while you’re there, post it on our Facebook, too)!
2) Eat at the Dunes House – Open only to resort guests and property owners, the Dunes House is a perk you can’t pass up. It’s a restaurant and bar situated right on the beach with delicious fish tacos and yummy frozen cocktails.
3) Catch a fish – Head out in our 11-mile inland lagoon with Captain Trent and see if you can catch a “big red” (reddrum or red fish). Kids, try for a flounder!
4) Get a beanie hat and have it signed by Shannon Tanner – If you visit during the summer, head over to HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour Monday-Thursday at 6:30 or 8 p.m. and catch the famous family performer Shannon Tanner. You must hear him sing “Your Hair Had a Party Last Night” and then you have to get your very own beanie hat (like his) and have him sign it with an inspirational message.
5) Eat the cinnamon rolls at the General Store – There’s no better way to start your morning in Hilton Head than with these sweet pastries from the Palmetto Dunes General Store. Ride your bike over and eat up! Just get plenty of napkins…
6) Try stand up paddleboarding – This is one of our most popular water sports that we offer at Hilton Head Outfitters, located inside the resort. Get lessons from our paddleboard instructor or let him take you out on a group tour of our lagoon. You’ll work your abs, burn lots of calories and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
7) Spot a dolphin – Keep your eye out when at the beach for our favorite friendly mammals. You’ll likely see their fins pop up out of the water. They also often swim up into inlets and tidal creeks, which may be a quieter place to find them during the busier months.
8) Try for a hole in one – Head to one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and see if you can hit a hole in one. You may improve your odds with a golf lesson from our super fun director of golf instruction Doug Weaver.
9) Try your hand at tennis – All guests of the resort enjoy two hours of free tennis court time daily with each night’s accommodation, so there’s no reason not to see if you and tennis are a “match.” We also offer tennis clinics and lessons every day, along with private instruction.
10) Take a nighttime beach walk – Grab a flashlight and take a moonlit beach walk. You’ll enjoy seeing another side of Hilton Head by night. Just keep watch for sea turtle nests, mamas or babies and stay out of their way. Light can disorient them so keep flashlights off if you spot them.
What’s on your Hilton Head bucket list? What did we miss? For more information about tennis, golf, accommodations or other activities, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
What does Palmetto Dunes have that other resorts don’t? Three miles of sandy Hilton Head Island beach on the Atlantic Ocean and great weather that lets you take advantage of it nearly year round. We also give you plenty of ways to enjoy the beach, whether it’s views from your Hilton Head vacation home or rental, dining options on the beach or activities from biking to surfing to keep you busy throughout your Hilton Head getaway.
There are plenty of access points to reach the beach, either from the residential areas as you pedal around or from our resort facilities. One of our favorite ways to enjoy—and access--the beach is the Dunes House, which is centrally located Palmetto Dunes and open to guests of the resort. In addition to casual food and drinks with one of the best dining views on the island, you’ll also find restrooms and limited parking. We suggest you call the Dunes Buggy for a free ride to the Dunes House!
Biking is also another great way to enjoy the beach at Palmetto Dunes. Get some exercise and enjoy beautiful views of the ocean at the same time. Try going for a ride at sunrise or sunset for a particularly inspiring experience. If you don’t want to lug your bikes with you down to Hilton Head, you can rent them from Hilton Head Outfitters within the resort. They’ll have them delivered direct to your home and villa so they’re ready to ride as soon as you arrive. Hilton Head Outfitters offers a range of bikes and options, and we’d suggest trying their fat tire bikes which are designed for easier beach riding.
At Palmetto Dunes, you can also surf and fish at the beach. We offer surfing classes at our Hilton Head Surf School and surf board rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters. We also have everything a fisherman needs for a great day of fishing. Rent your rod and reel online and head into the Outfitters store just inside the resort to pick up bait or anything else you might need before you head out.
Or go for a more relaxed approach. Kick back, enjoy the sounds of the ocean and send the kids out to build a sand castle, but keeping a close eye on them, of course. Check out a few tips for a safe trip to the beach. Beach games are also lots of fun and we have some great beach game suggestions to keep the whole family entertained.
Whether you’d rather dash into the waves, laze in the sand or cruise along the shore on a beach bike, when it comes to the beach at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we think it’s pretty much perfect.
When most people think about Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort they think about the beautiful beaches, three amazing golf courses, miles of paved bike paths and exceptional tennis. While we’re incredibly proud to be known for all of these activities, we also want you to take advantage of our many sailboat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour just across the road. We have two exquisite sailboats and three fun filled cruises that will please the whole family.
The Schooner “Welcome” offers a variety of options, including a relaxing sunset cocktail and hors d’oeuvres cruise ideal for catching the marsh breeze and enjoying the amazing views of Hilton Head. For those interested in the wildlife surrounding our island, the Eco Cruise is for you. Hitting the seas each afternoon allows you to encounter a wide variety of marine wildlife like sea turtles, marsh birds and majestic dolphins. Finally, the “Welcome” provides a fun-filled family experience with the Pirates Adventure Cruise. Sail the high seas with a pirate as your guide while learning to hoist the sails and steer the ship. Ahoy matey, it’s a good time indeed!
If you’re looking for a more private sailboat charter, we have the smaller 40-foot “Special-K”. Take your time sailing around Hilton Head Island with an experienced captain and crew. Whether you’re interested in learning more about how to sail or you want to surprise your spouse with a romantic private ride, the “Special-K” is a great choice.
The next time you’re in Hilton Head consider taking an adventure to the high seas and come aboard one of our fabulous sailboat charters!
January is the month where many Americans are gung-ho with their list of New Year’s resolutions. Lots of people are hitting the gym and checking out the health food isles at the grocery store, but we’ve also heard many people say they also resolve to spend more time with family. If you’ve been trying to get your immediate, or extended, family together for a while or want to plan a family reunion, why get the gang together at Palmetto Dunes?
Between our beautiful homes and villas, three world-renowned golf courses, tennis, bikes, fishing, shopping and the beach, every person in your family will be happy and entertained. What many people don’t realize when deciding where to stay Hilton Head is that when you stay with Palmetto Dunes, you get the best deals available on all the activities at the resort, as well as lagoon activities and boat charters out of Shelter Cove Harbour. You also get two free hours of tennis time each day!
Shelter Cove Harbour, just across the road from the resort, is also a great place to take the fam, because there are plentiful restaurants to enjoy each night and a variety of shops to peruse. Our group planners can even help create a special dinner at The Dunes House or a more formal party to celebrate your family reunion.
So, ring up your family, start matching up calendars and settle on a date. Then give us a ring at 866-744-7558 or click here and we’ll handle the rest.
We hope to see your whole gang here soon!
So you’ve set the date, picked the location and asked your friends to be in your wedding party but you just can’t ask the boss for an extra week off for your honeymoon quite yet.
The honeymoon is the icing on your wedded bliss cake but for many it’s extremely challenging to plan more time off after the wedding planning week amidst work or school schedules. That’s why we’ve created the Mini Moon Package.
This mini vacation after your nuptials will give you the much needed breather you need but will allow you to go back to work or school without taking too many extra PTO days! This package is also ideal for those looking for a long weekend getaway to rekindle the flames for Valentine’s Day with all the spa, food and romance you could want.
The Mini Moon package includes:
Be bold and follow in the footsteps of William and Kate and Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries (except try to stay married longer than 72 days) and try our new Mini Moon. Call us at 866-744-7558 for more information and make sure to visit us at www.palmettodunes.com .
There’s no doubt that kids of all ages (including adults!) love Shannon Tanner, a longtime fixture at Harbourfest in Shelter Cove Harbour, our hallmark event of the year. Tourists and locals come from near and far to do the “crazy hair dance” and see Shannon don his trademark beanie each summer night while singing song after family-friendly song. But one recent visitor had an even more memorable experience than most: bonding with his daughter in a moment that he’ll never forget. This father wrote us to tell us how his 8-year-old daughter was upset that she was missing her school’s father/daughter dance because of their recent Hilton Head vacation. A little sad, she and her family headed out to Harbourfest and found themselves along with many families enjoying the fun that is Shannon Tanner. He writes: “It was about that time in the show where you asked the little girls to grab their dads for a song you were about to do. For the first time in the day she got excited and grabbed my hand and dragged me up to dance with her. You then sang a song I had never heard before and it was a moment in my life that I will never forget. It was Cinderella. As I listened to the words, I related to the song and couldn't hold back my emotions as I held my little girl while we danced together.” Later that night, she told him she was so happy because she got to dance with her dad after all. “I melted right then and there,” said the dad. “I have since downloaded the song from iTunes and can't listen to [it] without remembering that night and getting emotional.” We’re so glad that this family will have happy memories of Shelter Cove, Palmetto Dunes and Hilton Head forever, and we hope you’ll come make your own memories, as well.