Just in time for the holidays, we’ve got some help for your golf woes. If you’ve got a burning question or were always curious about some aspect of your golf game, let our head of golf instruction and former PGA pro Doug Weaver come to the rescue.
Send us your golf questions via Facebook, Twitter or Google + by Dec. 15 and you’ll not only be entered to win 2 of Doug’s instructional golf DVDs, but you’ll get your question answered personally – via video – by Doug!
Doug, who is a US Open record holder, offers many great tips to golfers of all ages in his many videos on our YouTube account, as well as in his free weekly Hilton Head golf demonstration on Mondays and the many Hilton Head golf schools and clinics he leads every week.
Take a look at this recent video from Doug showing you how to put like Rory McIlroy:
His DVDs focus on full swing and the short game, and if you purchase your own copy before Christmas, you will receive a questionnaire and 15-minute phone consult with Doug to help lower your scores and increase your enjoyment of golf. As Doug likes to say “Golf is not an easy game, but it is a game of ease.”
Submit your questions soon and good luck!
If you’re visiting Hilton Head Island prior to the holidays, be sure to take advantage of our many unique boutiques and shops that you don’t have back home. Whether you have golfers or tennis players in your family or you’re just looking for a one-of-a-kind gift, you’ve got plenty to choose from when it comes to Hilton Head shopping.
1) Nash Gallery – Art lovers will be in heaven browsing this Shelter Cove art gallery. Featuring work from North American artists, you’ll find pieces made from metal, wood and glass, as well as ceramics and even jewelry.
2) Ship’s Store – The Shelter Cove Marina Ship’s Store features all things nautical in apparel, accessories and anything you’d need for a day out on the boat. Tervis Tumblers make great gift items, along with stylish nautical belts, Guy Harvey shirts and Sperry Topsiders.
3) Taffeta – Get your best friends the latest fashions from Europe at Taffeta in Shelter Cove. The clothing boutique specializes in styles from France and Italy for both special occasions and casual wear.
4) Neptune’s Niche – Lowcountry is the theme at this store named after the iconic Statue of Neptune at Shelter Cove. The shop carries works from local artists, including glassware, woodwork, pottery, ironwork and textiles.
5) Seasons – The latest boutique to open at Shelter Cove, Seasons offers women’s apparel, accessories, jewelry and other gift items. You’re likely to find a hot pair of pumps and a gorgeous necklace for your most stylish friends here.
6) Camp Hilton Head – Need a Hilton Head souvenir or casual apparel like T-shirts and hats? Camp Hilton Head at Shelter Cove says they are your vacation headquarters. Give your friends and family a little taste of Hilton Head with items from this unique boutique.
7) Christmas on the Harbour – Celebrate Christmas island style at this pretty little store at Shelter Cove. Not only do they have Department 56 houses, Christopher Radko blown Polish glass, Jim Shore Collectibles and nativities, you’ll also find plenty of one-of-a-kind Hilton Head-themed gift items. Doesn’t everyone need a Hilton Head ornament for their tree?
8) Palmetto Dunes Golf Pro Shops – Golfers will delight in any of our three Hilton Head golf pro shops. For Nike lovers, the Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop is one of only six Nike Concept Shops in the country. Find clubs, accessories, apparel and equipment for all your golf needs.
9) Palmetto Dunes Tennis Pro Shop – Palmetto Dunes also caters to tennis players with thousands passing through the resort every year. Our Hilton Head tennis pro shop offers the latest name-brand apparel and racquets, as well as Solarbat Leverage™ sunglasses, racquet covers, bags and other fun tennis gift items.
10) Hilton Head Outfitters – For the adventure lover, head to Hilton Head Outfitters for gift ideas. Inside you’ll find surfing, biking, paddleboarding and kayaking equipment and accessories, as well as T-shirts and sweatshirts, fishing gear, jewelry, sunglasses and more.
Did we cover everyone on your gift list this year?!
For more information about visiting Palmetto Dunes this holiday season, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
If you’ve got some folks in your family who simply adore Hilton Head, why not give them a little taste of the island as their holiday gift? We’ve got 5 ideas for the Hilton Head lovers in your life:
1) Golf flag – For the golfers in your family, why not give them a fun reminder of their rounds at Palmetto Dunes? Come shop in one of our Hilton Head golf pro shops for a flag with the name of one of our golf courses or we’re happy to ship it to you. Why not reserve them a future golf round, as well?
2) Beach-themed ornament – Christmas tree ornaments can be fun reminders of people and places near and dear to your heart. That’s why you should have an ornament representing Hilton Head on your tree. The Palmetto Dunes General Store always has some cute ones in stock – be it Santa riding an alligator or climbing a palm tree J.
3) Hilton Head vacation – Want to see the family go bananas on Christmas morning? Let them unwrap a gift that tells them they’ll be vacationing to Hilton Head Island next spring or summer! Go ahead and book your Hilton Head vacation home and include a few pictures for them to ogle along with a sample itinerary of biking, golfing, playing tennis, kayaking, fishing and more!
4) Palmetto Dunes logoed gear – Our new online store makes it easy to order something and have it sent direct to you without ever having to step outside the door. Choose from a variety of apparel all printed with the Palmetto Dunes logo, including fleece jackets, hats, polos and even robes.
5) Palmetto Dunes Gift Card – For the people you just don’t know what to get, why not a Palmetto Dunes gift card? They can use it at any-resort owned property for goods and services, such as accommodations for vacation rentals, meals at the Dunes House or Big Jim’s, rounds of golf, tennis lessons, bike rentals or even surfing lessons next summer! Buy online.
Which of these Hilton Head Island gifts would you like the most this holiday season? Do you think your family would enjoy receiving them?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head vacation or ship gift items direct to your doorstep, give us a call at 866-650-4130.
While many plan their beach getaways during the busier spring and summer seasons, we think fall and winter is the perfect time for seaside retreat, especially with your significant other!
As the weather gets cool up north, it’s incredibly uplifting and refreshing to head to warmer climes, even if just for a brief respite. It can lift the spirits and give you endurance to make it through the rest of the cold winter months!
Hilton Head Island and Palmetto Dunes make for great winter and holiday escapes for couples. Plan to take a long weekend away from the kids during holiday break or any weekend you can get away. Just picture in your mind’s eye strolls on the beach, waterfront gourmet meals, and long bike rides, stopping to have a picnic under the palms.
Palmetto Dunes offers many activities for couples. Choose from any or all of the below:
1) A round of golf at any of our 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses
2) 2 hours of complimentary tennis court time daily with a Palmetto Dunes vacation home or villa
3) Golf or tennis lessons
4) Paddle our 11-mile inland lagoon system in a double kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters
5) Rent bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters and explore the 50 miles of paved paths on Hilton Head Island
6) Have a massage or Hilton Head spa service at Ocean Tides Spa at the Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort or Spa Soleil at Hilton Head Marriot Resort and Spa
7) Enjoy a gourmet meal with a waterfront view at Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina. Choose from restaurants ranging from French and Italian to Mediterranean and Mexican.
We offer a variety of romance packages that combine accommodations with many of these activities. For more information about a couples’ holiday getaway, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
While the sweeping views and tricky ocean breezes of the 10th hole at the Palmetto Dunes’ Robert Trent Jones golf course may get all the attention, the 11th hole is challenging, as well. Part of the resort’s oceanfront Hilton Head golf course, named the 2003 South Carolina golf course of the year, hole 11 is a par 4 that plays 405 yards from the gold tees.
Watch out for the lagoons and sand bunkers to the left and right of this hole, which generally plays downwind. The tee shot needs to be straight, as any approach that slides to the right will most likely find the lagoon, which sits just off to the side.
Need some tips for playing over water? Doug Weaver, our director of golf instruction, says to focus not on lifting the ball over the water but on clipping the tee. Watch:
Says Weaver, “Golf is a game of opposites; when you swing down, the ball goes up.”
Watch the flyover of the Jones 11th hole and of all the holes on our Robert Trent Jones golf course map and be sure to download a scorecard and our free Palmetto Dunes golf app for more tips on the go!
To reserve your Hilton Head golf tee time, visit www.palmettodunes.com where you can save 30% by reserving online in advance. You can also save with multi-rounds of golf starting at just $76 per round in November and $59 per round December through February. Call us at 866-650-4130 for more details.
It’s getting to be that time of year where the cold weather up north drives lots of people down south for our mild, sunny winters. To escape the cold and snow, many of our visitors stay for several weeks or months at a time. To cater to those guests, we offer a variety of sports memberships to make playing golf, tennis or more a daily activity and easier on the wallet.
Fall and winter are the ideal months to play golf with less hot and humid weather and less crowded courses. We offer 30-day golf memberships starting at $650/person and $1080/couple to make sure you get in all the playing time you can handle when visiting us for a longer Hilton Head vacation. You get access to all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses, as well as discounts in our golf pro shops, grills and ranges. You can add additional days on a pro-rated basis.
If you visit Hilton Head Island frequently or are a full-time resident, consider our annual golf membership for a $430 yearly fee per person. This affords you 24-hour advanced tee time reservations and member 18-hole rates, including green fees and cart fees. You also receive discounts in our golf pro shops, grills and ranges with this membership.
Monthly Bike Passes
Hilton Head Island is a fantastic island to see on two wheels. Plus, you’ll bypass traffic while getting exercise at the same time. To help you along, we offer monthly bike passes starting at just $49.99 so you can do all the pedaling you’d like. We even have the bikes waiting for you at your Hilton Head vacation rental upon your arrival and pick up them upon your departure.
Kayak and Canoe Rentals
Sign up for Hilton Head Outfitters’ annual memberships and get unlimited access to kayak and canoe rentals for navigating our 11-mile inland lagoon. With the Hilton Head Outfitters’ annual membership, you also get 10% off all other equipment rentals, such as paddle boards, beach chairs, jogging strollers and more. These memberships are $199 for one person and $299 for two people.
Monthly Sports Membership
If all of the above sounds great to you, consider our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership, which gets you 30-days of accommodations, as well as unlimited golf, Hilton Head bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time per day, starting at $1459 per person. This package is available Nov. 1, 2014-Feb. 28, 2015.
We also offer monthly and annual memberships for tennis aficionados. Call 866-306-4330 for rates.
Which of these memberships floats your boat? Will we see you on your bike or on the courts for a month or more this fall or winter?
For more information about any of these options, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
Stay a Month or More with Palmetto Dunes’ Long-Term Hilton Head Sports Memberships
There are many ways to improve your golf game from more practice and Hilton Head golf lessons at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy to using better equipment. Here at the Palmetto Dunes Hilton Head golf pro shops, we keep the latest equipment and the newest technology in store to make sure you have the best selection of gear on the island and in the southeast.
In mid-November, Titleist will be shipping its newest drivers, part of the 915 series. Both new clubs offer the latest technologies to help improve your golf skills and help you look even better on the course!
The 915D2 promises to deliver a higher trajectory. It comes with a larger club head (460cc) and pear profile to help provide confidence and stability.
If you’re looking for more workability and distance, you’ll find it with the Titleist 915D3 with trajectory control. Titleist says that this club produces a noticeably lower ball flight and spin rate than the D2 model.
Both of these drivers come with the Sure-Fit hosel adjustability and seven stock shaft options. According to GolfWeek, they also both have a slot in the sole, which “allows the hitting area to flex more at impact, broadens the area where maximum ball speed is created and reduces spin.” The drivers start at $499.
If you won’t be buying one for yourself, consider asking for it – or giving it -- as a holiday gift this year! Your golf style may be improved with the simple change of a driver when you play your first round in the New Year.
Find both of these drivers in store at the Palmetto Dunes golf pro shops in mid-November, or call us at 866-650-4130 and we’ll ship them direct to your door!
The days of summer are long gone with memories of your beach vacation fading by the day. It’s time to stoke that vacation fever and step out of your fall funk with a group golf getaway to Hilton Head Island. The weather has never been better with 70-degree sunny days and our courses are newly aerified and in great shape.
Palmetto Dunes offers a number of ways you and your buddies can join us for a Hilton Head golf trip to play all three of our varied Hilton Head golf courses, each of which has been named a South Carolina golf course of the year.
With our Ryder Cup group golf package for groups of 12 or more, you can join in the same competitive spirit of this popular world golf event with your friends. It includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, team shirts, breakfast, free range balls and yardage books, discounts at our Hilton Head golf pro shops and resort restaurants. Beginning October 15, 2014, rates start as low as $529/person for the package!
Another option is our Stay & Play Group Golf Package for groups of 12 or more, which provides you with three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf and the standard resort discounts and priority access that you receive when booking through Palmetto Dunes. Rates for this package starting October 15 are just $479/person.
Just think, for roughly $500, you could have a much needed getaway and time on the green… You just need to find 11 other friends who feel the same way!
For more information about any of our group golf vacations, give us a call directly at 866-650-4130. As soon as you reserve your group, you can start dreaming of your time on Hilton Head Island!
Afraid Hilton Head Island prices are beyond your reach? Think again! Palmetto Dunes, especially in the off season, which includes the holidays, may be more economical than you thought.
From October 2014-March 2015, we have rates for a two-bedroom resort view villa starting at only $159/night! And unlike a traditional hotel room, you get a full villa with many of the amenities of home like a full kitchen and dining area and a washer/dryer, which makes packing so much easier. Our villas also have TVs, wireless Internet access and many have porches, balconies or decks to enjoy Lowcountry views, as well as gyms, pools and elevators. Additional bedrooms and ocean views are available for a higher starting rate.
Plus, when you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you get even more value for your nightly rate, including two free hours of tennis daily and 20% off resort dining and items at select retail outlets. Our guests also receive preferred rates and priority access to our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and golf lessons, Hilton Head tennis clinics, Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, fishing charters and more.
Got a pooch who wants to join you at the beach? No problem! We offer several Hilton Head pet-friendly accommodations during this season.
Always dreamed of spending the holidays watching the waves crash after your turkey dinner or opening gifts? These prices remain the same during Thanksgiving or the December holiday break, too – an amazing deal!
Fall and winter are wonderful seasons to visit the island with much milder temperatures than you’ll find up north and all the same fun Lowcountry activities available. Take a look at our recent blog on 7 Fall Activities to do on Hilton Head Island.
Let us know if we can get that $159/night rate locked in for you and your family! Give us a ring at 866-650-4130 and browse our Hilton Head vacation rentals to find the perfect vacation home for your visit.
Looking to get spooked this Halloween on your vacation to Hilton Head Island? You’ll definitely want to make a stop at a famous landmark that just happens to be located right here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
The Leamington Lighthouse, or the Hilton Head Rear Range Lighthouse, is located within the Arthur Hills golf course and legend holds that there have been a Hilton Head haunting or two within this historic structure.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the lighthouse was built between 1879 and 1880 to help guide ships into Port Royal Sound. It originally included a keeper’s house, forward beacon (whose light could be seen from 15 miles away) and rear lighthouse; however, only the rear lighthouse remains standing along with a water cistern and brick oil house.
The lighthouse was taken out of service and abandoned during the 1930s, but during World War II, it was used as a lookout post for enemy ships entering the sound. It is one of the few surviving lighthouses in South Carolina and the only one of its type remaining in the state. Greenwood Communities and Resorts, the parent company of Palmetto Dunes, restored the structure in 1985 and opened the grounds to the public. It’s now an iconic landmark for those playing the Hills Hilton Head golf course.
The tale goes that in 1898 as a major hurricane swept through the area, the lighthouse keeper died of a heart attack as the storm raged, but his 21-year-old daughter kept the light burning after his death. However, she died just three weeks later.
Ever since, there have been reported sightings of a female ghost in a long blue dress on dark, rainy nights. Let us know if you see her….