There is so much to do when visiting us this spring! For those of you counting down the days until you arrive to gorgeous Hilton Head Island and Palmetto Dunes, we’ve compiled a spring to-do list for you. See how many you can complete and let us know:
What’s missing from our Palmetto Dunes To-Do List? Is there anything your family cannot leave the resort without doing?
To book your Palmetto Dunes vacation this spring, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
We’ve already outlined the many reasons you should consider staying in a vacation rental on your Hilton Head vacation from access to a washer/dryer and kitchen to privacy and space to spread out.
To make your stay in a Hilton Head vacation rental even more awesome, here are 7 services you can take advantage of that you may not know about:
Bike Rentals - You probably knew you could get your Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, but did you know they deliver them right to your door? Forget about carting your own bikes on a rack down to the island or walking over to the shop to pick up your rentals. Hilton Head Outfitters, located just inside Palmetto Dunes, will leave your bikes at your vacation rental before you arrive and then pick them up in the same spot when you’re done. Simple as can be!
Dunes Buggy - If you’re visiting Palmetto Dunes April through September, you can hop a ride around the resort or Shelter Cove Harbour on the Dunes Buggy. This free shuttle service is available first-come first-served, though it generally arrives within 10 minutes.
Catering - Want to have a get-together while you’re vacationing on the island and don’t feel like doing the cooking? Our very own catering service Dunes Catering can help. Whether you’re looking for plated meals, a casual BBQ or an oyster roast, they’ll prepare it and clean it up so you can focus on enjoying your party.
Take out from Big Jim’s Restaurant - If you’re not throwing a party, but just don’t feel like making dinner and want a night in, order take-out from Big Jim’s restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones golf course at eat in your villa’s dining area. The kid-friendly menu features everything from burgers and BBQ to salads and seafood.
Grocery Delivery - Don’t feel like hitting the Kroger as soon as you arrive? Services like Cyber Valet Grocery in Bluffton will delivery your selection of groceries direct to the door of your vacation home or villa. Your family can relax and unwind while someone else does the grocery shopping!
Babysitting - Want to have an adults night out but make sure the kids are entertained and safe? Try Hilton Head Nannies, which offers vacation babysitters and in-room nannies and sitters.
Pet Boarding - If you’re not staying in one of our pet-friendly rentals, you may want to board your pet while you’re visiting the island. There are a variety of options including Evergreen Pet Lodge, Southpaw Pet Resort and All About Pets. If you need someone to stay with your pet in one of our pet-friendly villas, HIlton Head Nannies also offers in-room pet sitting!
For more information about booking your very own Hilton Head vacation rental at Palmetto Dunes, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
We are so blessed here with many days reaching the 70's and sometimes 80 degrees in winter. Trout fishing has been great this season, getting a limit of ten per person has been easy a lot of days. They are hitting almost any artificial you throw at them and live bait is always good.
Reports of large "gator" trout are common and large flounder seem to be more plentiful. Redfish are with us year round and this time of year can be caught inshore and offshore. While artificials will work in the creeks for the redfish, cut mullet, live mud minnows and shrimp will all but guarantee some lively action. Fishing around docks and oyster beds on either side of low tide seems to be the best method for these battlers.
Sheepshead fishing around the docks and old pilings is also great this time of year. Live fiddlers and clams the favorite baits of choice for these convict striped fish. Master bait thieves you have to be vigilant for the ever so subtle strike. Not many fish can top the sheepshead for table fare, which has earned them the nickname "river snapper".
Sheepshead can also be caught at the nearshore reefs but black sea bass pose a problem in winter. Also hard to beat for the table the black sea bass are out of season this time of year and while you can literally catch hundreds on a trip now, but…you have to release them all.
While many over slot reds are being caught in the creeks the really big boys will be off the beach. This time of year searching for the gannets diving on bait schools will help you locate the bull redfish. Once you locate them place squid, menhaden or cut mullet beneath them and hold on! Averaging 30 plus pounds look for at least two or three if not more scorching runs out of these guys.
One other option this time of year is up the Savannah River. In late December and January the striped bass run up the freshwater rivers and offer a rare treat for those that seek them. Trolling big Cisco Kids or similar lures along the banks with stout tackle can produce fish twenty pounds and up. Be careful of large ships passing as the deep draft of these ships will pull the water six feet or more from the bank. All in all there is plenty of good fishing this time of year, so don't put those rods away!
By Guest Blogger Captain Miles Altman
Book a fishing charter with Capt. Miles by calling 843-842-7001. Bayrunner Charter Fishing is offering a 3-3-3 special in Jan and Feb…3 hours, 3 people for 300!
It’s almost the New Year, the time when everyone sets resolutions, many of which are health or fitness related. While there’s plenty of calorie-burning activities you can do on Hilton Head Island outside of the gym from running on the beach to kayaking our 11-mile lagoon to surfing the waves, we’ve put together 5 cool apps that can help you meet your more traditional fitness resolutions when you vacation with us.
For more information about booking your Hilton Head vacation at Palmetto Dunes, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or call 866-650-4130.
Over the last month, we had several travel bloggers visit the resort with their families and they blew up social media with all the fun they had! We wanted to share a recap of their families’ activities and outings to give you an idea of what you and your family can enjoy the next time you’re on the island.
For this post, we wanted to share the adventures of Malise Terrell with Carolina Mama and her family of four, including two teenage boys, who visited in early November. They were pleased to find weather warm enough (68 degrees!) for several dips in the ocean.
The Terrells enjoy tennis, so they decided that some evening tennis court time would be just what they needed after their drive from North Carolina. Their family played after dark on our lighted courts, which just require a token from the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center to operate.
They also headed to the beach with some fishing rental gear from Hilton Head Outfitters to see what they could reel in. No catches this time, but they enjoyed the view and the time together!
Biking was a top activity for the family, using Hilton Head bike rentals also from Hilton Head Outfitters, which were waiting for them when they arrived at their vacation villa. The crew took a ride down the beach and up to the beachfront Dunes House, as well as explored the resort.
The Terrell family loved their Hilton Head vacation rental and Mom was especially fond of her comfy chair and quiet spot for reading, as well as the gorgeous master bath at newly-renovated 714 Barrington Park just a short walk from the beach.
Of course, our favorite picture had to be the boys holding light sabers on the beach, perfect timing with all the talk of the new Star Wars trailer and very controversial new light saber!
Follow Malise on Instagram to see all of her pics and call us at 866-650-4130 to book your own family getaway to Palmetto Dunes!
If you’re visiting Hilton Head Island prior to the holidays, be sure to take advantage of our many unique boutiques and shops that you don’t have back home. Whether you have golfers or tennis players in your family or you’re just looking for a one-of-a-kind gift, you’ve got plenty to choose from when it comes to Hilton Head shopping.
1) Nash Gallery – Art lovers will be in heaven browsing this Shelter Cove art gallery. Featuring work from North American artists, you’ll find pieces made from metal, wood and glass, as well as ceramics and even jewelry.
2) Ship’s Store – The Shelter Cove Marina Ship’s Store features all things nautical in apparel, accessories and anything you’d need for a day out on the boat. Tervis Tumblers make great gift items, along with stylish nautical belts, Guy Harvey shirts and Sperry Topsiders.
3) Taffeta – Get your best friends the latest fashions from Europe at Taffeta in Shelter Cove. The clothing boutique specializes in styles from France and Italy for both special occasions and casual wear.
4) Neptune’s Niche – Lowcountry is the theme at this store named after the iconic Statue of Neptune at Shelter Cove. The shop carries works from local artists, including glassware, woodwork, pottery, ironwork and textiles.
5) Seasons – The latest boutique to open at Shelter Cove, Seasons offers women’s apparel, accessories, jewelry and other gift items. You’re likely to find a hot pair of pumps and a gorgeous necklace for your most stylish friends here.
6) Camp Hilton Head – Need a Hilton Head souvenir or casual apparel like T-shirts and hats? Camp Hilton Head at Shelter Cove says they are your vacation headquarters. Give your friends and family a little taste of Hilton Head with items from this unique boutique.
7) Christmas on the Harbour – Celebrate Christmas island style at this pretty little store at Shelter Cove. Not only do they have Department 56 houses, Christopher Radko blown Polish glass, Jim Shore Collectibles and nativities, you’ll also find plenty of one-of-a-kind Hilton Head-themed gift items. Doesn’t everyone need a Hilton Head ornament for their tree?
8) Palmetto Dunes Golf Pro Shops – Golfers will delight in any of our three Hilton Head golf pro shops. For Nike lovers, the Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop is one of only six Nike Concept Shops in the country. Find clubs, accessories, apparel and equipment for all your golf needs.
9) Palmetto Dunes Tennis Pro Shop – Palmetto Dunes also caters to tennis players with thousands passing through the resort every year. Our Hilton Head tennis pro shop offers the latest name-brand apparel and racquets, as well as Solarbat Leverage™ sunglasses, racquet covers, bags and other fun tennis gift items.
10) Hilton Head Outfitters – For the adventure lover, head to Hilton Head Outfitters for gift ideas. Inside you’ll find surfing, biking, paddleboarding and kayaking equipment and accessories, as well as T-shirts and sweatshirts, fishing gear, jewelry, sunglasses and more.
Did we cover everyone on your gift list this year?!
For more information about visiting Palmetto Dunes this holiday season, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
It’s getting to be that time of year where the cold weather up north drives lots of people down south for our mild, sunny winters. To escape the cold and snow, many of our visitors stay for several weeks or months at a time. To cater to those guests, we offer a variety of sports memberships to make playing golf, tennis or more a daily activity and easier on the wallet.
Fall and winter are the ideal months to play golf with less hot and humid weather and less crowded courses. We offer 30-day golf memberships starting at $650/person and $1080/couple to make sure you get in all the playing time you can handle when visiting us for a longer Hilton Head vacation. You get access to all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses, as well as discounts in our golf pro shops, grills and ranges. You can add additional days on a pro-rated basis.
If you visit Hilton Head Island frequently or are a full-time resident, consider our annual golf membership for a $430 yearly fee per person. This affords you 24-hour advanced tee time reservations and member 18-hole rates, including green fees and cart fees. You also receive discounts in our golf pro shops, grills and ranges with this membership.
Monthly Bike Passes
Hilton Head Island is a fantastic island to see on two wheels. Plus, you’ll bypass traffic while getting exercise at the same time. To help you along, we offer monthly bike passes starting at just $49.99 so you can do all the pedaling you’d like. We even have the bikes waiting for you at your Hilton Head vacation rental upon your arrival and pick up them upon your departure.
Kayak and Canoe Rentals
Sign up for Hilton Head Outfitters’ annual memberships and get unlimited access to kayak and canoe rentals for navigating our 11-mile inland lagoon. With the Hilton Head Outfitters’ annual membership, you also get 10% off all other equipment rentals, such as paddle boards, beach chairs, jogging strollers and more. These memberships are $199 for one person and $299 for two people.
Monthly Sports Membership
If all of the above sounds great to you, consider our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership, which gets you 30-days of accommodations, as well as unlimited golf, Hilton Head bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time per day, starting at $1459 per person. This package is available Nov. 1, 2014-Feb. 28, 2015.
We also offer monthly and annual memberships for tennis aficionados. Call 866-306-4330 for rates.
Which of these memberships floats your boat? Will we see you on your bike or on the courts for a month or more this fall or winter?
For more information about any of these options, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
Stay a Month or More with Palmetto Dunes’ Long-Term Hilton Head Sports Memberships
by Captain Miles
Fall is a special time here in the Lowcountry for many reasons, the weather is better, the crowds thin...and the bull redfish swarm inshore waters. The bulls, 20 pounds upwards to the 50 pound mark are here or offshore all year, but this time of year they come close in big numbers with catches of 20 or more fish in a trip not at all uncommon.
The strength of these fish is incredible, rivaling any other fish its size short of an amberjack or tuna. I usually fish heaby spinning reels with 50 pound braid and even with a heavy drag they will strip line off at an alarming pace, and do it several times in a battle. I have fished lighter tackle but the lengthly battle takes a toll on these big fish and they must be released, the law being everything over 23 inches must be returned to the water.
The smaller redfish also invade the creeks this time of year offering the best light tackle sport available. Shrimp, live or dead, cut mullet and menhaden all are favorite baits when fishing inshore. The "slot" or keeper size is 15-23 inches and by SC law you may keep three fish per person. Not only are redfish a blast to catch, but they are delicious. Before Chef Pail Prudhomme introduced "blackened redfish" these fish were locally known as spot tail bass or puppy drum. Officially, their proper name is red drum. Coloration is usually a deep burnt orange or copper across the back with a single spot at the base of the tail. Some fish have multiple spots from the tail to the middle of the fish. A strong and broad tail and thick shoulders give it all the horsepower it needs to make your day.
Good conservation and our local mariculture center have provided some of the best stocks of redfish I have seen in forty years of fishing this area. Al Stokes and his crew at the Mariculture Center have been boosting the local population with their work for years. The proof is in the pudding whether you want to light tackles redfish in the creeks or chase the big bulls, now is the perfect time.
Afraid Hilton Head Island prices are beyond your reach? Think again! Palmetto Dunes, especially in the off season, which includes the holidays, may be more economical than you thought.
From October 2014-March 2015, we have rates for a two-bedroom resort view villa starting at only $159/night! And unlike a traditional hotel room, you get a full villa with many of the amenities of home like a full kitchen and dining area and a washer/dryer, which makes packing so much easier. Our villas also have TVs, wireless Internet access and many have porches, balconies or decks to enjoy Lowcountry views, as well as gyms, pools and elevators. Additional bedrooms and ocean views are available for a higher starting rate.
Plus, when you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you get even more value for your nightly rate, including two free hours of tennis daily and 20% off resort dining and items at select retail outlets. Our guests also receive preferred rates and priority access to our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and golf lessons, Hilton Head tennis clinics, Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, fishing charters and more.
Got a pooch who wants to join you at the beach? No problem! We offer several Hilton Head pet-friendly accommodations during this season.
Always dreamed of spending the holidays watching the waves crash after your turkey dinner or opening gifts? These prices remain the same during Thanksgiving or the December holiday break, too – an amazing deal!
Fall and winter are wonderful seasons to visit the island with much milder temperatures than you’ll find up north and all the same fun Lowcountry activities available. Take a look at our recent blog on 7 Fall Activities to do on Hilton Head Island.
Let us know if we can get that $159/night rate locked in for you and your family! Give us a ring at 866-650-4130 and browse our Hilton Head vacation rentals to find the perfect vacation home for your visit.
The fall forecast for Hilton Head Island? AWESOME! We want you to come on down and enjoy the mild weather, Carolina sunshine and great activities that make autumn a wonderful time of year to visit Hilton Head Island.
Here are 7 of our favorite fall activities on Hilton Head Island and at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Music & Taste on the Harbour – Is there anything better than live music outdoors with a beautiful view? We put it all together at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, located just across Highway 278 from the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Every Thursday, through October 23, Shelter Cove will feature live music from local bands along with light appetizers and drink specials from Shelter Cove restaurants. It’s a free event, so don’t miss the fun!
2) Fishing – It’s hard to top fall fishing on Hilton Head Island. The red fish are especially abundant, because they spawn, forming large schools, during fall. We have more than 6000 red fish, ranging in size from 1-40 pounds, stocked in our 11-mile inland lagoon, so you’re bound to catch one. If you’d like to have some “reel” fun, head out with Captain Trent Malphrus, who knows all the right spots, on one of our Hilton Head fishing charters!
3) Biking – With the milder temperatures, it’s a great time to hop on a bike and explore the 25 miles of paved bike paths within the resort or venture beyond to the more than 50 miles of paved paths across the island. Stop by Hilton Head Outfitters for the perfect bike rental, options for kids and all the bike accessories you’ll need.
4) Kayaking – Another great activity for all ages here at the resort is kayaking or canoeing. Enjoy a peaceful paddle in our lagoon system and take in the beautiful natural surroundings and golf course views. Hilton Head Outfitters rents kayaks and canoes, including singles and doubles for families who want to bring along young kids. You can also fish from our kayaks and canoes.
5) Beachcombing – Autumn can be the perfect season to search for shells. The beaches are not as crowded and the sun isn’t beating down on you quite so much. Keep your eye out for various shells, shark teeth and even the occasional Native American artifact! Here are more beachcombing tips for Hilton Head Island.
6) Golf – Challenge your best friends to a round – or several rounds – of golf at our three varied, championship Hilton Head golf courses. We offer lots of benefits for groups, such as stocked beer, logoed merchandise and access to our TripCaddie app that lets you track scores and even award trophies! Get a group golf quote here.
7) Tennis – You can work up a sweat playing tennis at one of our 25 courts in a hurry, but in fall you won’t be quite as soaked. Enjoy some of the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center fall tennis tournaments like the Banana Open Challenge, take a Hilton Head tennis clinic offered daily or try our Cardio Tennis class for a real calorie-burning workout!
What activity are you most looking forward to this fall on Hilton Head Island? If we can help you plan your fall Palmetto Dunes vacation, visit our new website at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-650-4130.