The fall forecast for Hilton Head Island? AWESOME! We want you to come on down and enjoy the mild weather, Carolina sunshine and great activities that make autumn a wonderful time of year to visit Hilton Head Island.
Here are 7 of our favorite fall activities on Hilton Head Island and at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Music & Taste on the Harbour – Is there anything better than live music outdoors with a beautiful view? We put it all together at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, located just across Highway 278 from the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Every Thursday, through October 23, Shelter Cove will feature live music from local bands along with light appetizers and drink specials from Shelter Cove restaurants. It’s a free event, so don’t miss the fun!
2) Fishing – It’s hard to top fall fishing on Hilton Head Island. The red fish are especially abundant, because they spawn, forming large schools, during fall. We have more than 6000 red fish, ranging in size from 1-40 pounds, stocked in our 11-mile inland lagoon, so you’re bound to catch one. If you’d like to have some “reel” fun, head out with Captain Trent Malphrus, who knows all the right spots, on one of our Hilton Head fishing charters!
3) Biking – With the milder temperatures, it’s a great time to hop on a bike and explore the 25 miles of paved bike paths within the resort or venture beyond to the more than 50 miles of paved paths across the island. Stop by Hilton Head Outfitters for the perfect bike rental, options for kids and all the bike accessories you’ll need.
4) Kayaking – Another great activity for all ages here at the resort is kayaking or canoeing. Enjoy a peaceful paddle in our lagoon system and take in the beautiful natural surroundings and golf course views. Hilton Head Outfitters rents kayaks and canoes, including singles and doubles for families who want to bring along young kids. You can also fish from our kayaks and canoes.
5) Beachcombing – Autumn can be the perfect season to search for shells. The beaches are not as crowded and the sun isn’t beating down on you quite so much. Keep your eye out for various shells, shark teeth and even the occasional Native American artifact! Here are more beachcombing tips for Hilton Head Island.
6) Golf – Challenge your best friends to a round – or several rounds – of golf at our three varied, championship Hilton Head golf courses. We offer lots of benefits for groups, such as stocked beer, logoed merchandise and access to our TripCaddie app that lets you track scores and even award trophies! Get a group golf quote here.
7) Tennis – You can work up a sweat playing tennis at one of our 25 courts in a hurry, but in fall you won’t be quite as soaked. Enjoy some of the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center fall tennis tournaments like the Banana Open Challenge, take a Hilton Head tennis clinic offered daily or try our Cardio Tennis class for a real calorie-burning workout!
What activity are you most looking forward to this fall on Hilton Head Island? If we can help you plan your fall Palmetto Dunes vacation, visit our new website at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-650-4130.
One of the top reasons folks venture down our way is for our amazing beaches that stretch along the Atlantic Ocean. On Hilton Head Island, you will find a total of 12 miles of beach, including 3 miles just within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort alone!
The island is actually just 5 miles wide and shaped like a foot, so it’s easy enough to get from one beach to another in a short span of time. Expect tide levels to change as much as 6-8 feet every six hours, so don’t leave your beach towels too close to the water when you go for a stroll.
Lots of organizations have lauded Hilton Head’s beaches, giving them top honors. USA Today named Hilton Head Island as one of the 10 best Carolina beaches, Parents Magazine selected us the No. 1 beach town in the U.S., and U.S. News & World Report showcased the island as No. 6 on its list of Top 10 Best Beaches for 2013.
The beaches of Hilton Head Island are the perfect spot to engage in a range of activities like biking, running, surfing, paddleboarding, skimboarding, swimming and so much more. Build the perfect sand castle, collect shells and discover amazing sea creatures, just be sure to put back any live ones and fill in your holes and level sandcastles at the end of the day for the safety of our Loggerhead Sea Turtles.
Within Palmetto Dunes’ 3 miles of beaches, you’ll find beautiful Hilton Head vacation homes and villas, as well as the oceanfront Dunes House, which is open to our guests and property owners. You can enjoy lunch, dinner or drinks at the outdoor restaurant, as well as live music during the summer months. At the Dunes House, you’ll also find the Hilton Head Outfitters kiosk where you can enroll in surf camp, rent beach chairs or paddleboards and lots more.
What’s your favorite thing about Hilton Head Island’s many beaches?
For more information about booking your Hilton Head vacation at Palmetto Dunes, visitwww.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
You just can’t head to the beach without a good book! We’ve picked some of the latest books from our favorite best-selling authors who either live in or write about the Lowcountry to give you the perfect beach read list for your visit to Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Hurricane Sisters: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank – A very popular writer and New York Times bestselling author, Dorothea Benton Frank tells another Lowcountry tale, this time focusing on three generations of women and the “hurricanes” in each of their lives.
2) The Stories We Tell by Patti Callahan Henry – In this southern tale to be released on June 24, Henry follows the drama of a fictional Savannah power couple and their family.
3) The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe – The latest from Mary Alice Monroe, and the second in the Lowcountry Summer Trilogy, “The Summer Wind” continues the heartwarming story of three half-sisters and their grandmother as they rediscover their Southern roots and family bonds.
4) The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd – Selected for Oprah’s Book Club, “The Invention of Wings” by “The Secret Life of Bees” author Sue Monk Kidd chronicles the life of an urban slave in 19th century Charleston and the daughter of the wealthy family for whom she serves as a waiting maid.
5) Return to Tradd Street by Karen White – Debuting on the New York Times bestsellers list at No. 6, “Return to Tradd Street” takes place in Charleston and offers an element of the paranormal. It tells of a new mother, who happens to be a psychic, and the mystery of a ghostly infant crying.
What book are you most looking forward to reading this summer?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head Island vacation to our 3 miles of beautiful beach, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
Are you considering a Hilton Head vacation soon? Let us help you plan the perfect getaway that fits your hobbies and interests. At Palmetto Dunes, we offer so many activities from fishing to biking and from tennis to golf that you’ll be hard pressed not to find something you’ll love. Here are 5 great ways to vacation at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Tennis Getaways – If you “love” tennis, we’ve got all sorts of fun packages and activities for you. With the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which sees thousands of visitors every year, you can find clinics, round robins, equipment demonstrations, tennis tournaments and more. We offer tennis vacation packages that include instruction and tennis court time and are even tailored to large groups. If you really love tennis, consider ourExtreme Tennis Vacation!
2) For the Outdoor Lover – There’s so much to do outdoors at Palmetto Dunes and so much beauty to see. The Outdoor Adventure packagerolls the best of our outdoor activities all into one with at least three nights of accommodations in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, kayak rentals, a dolphin cruise, Hilton Head bike rentalsand tennis court time daily.
3) Romance in Bloom – Looking for a romantic getaway for just the two of you? We offer several romance packages like our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration that include spa treatments, bike rentals, kayak rentals and more.
4) Golfers Delight – Get your best golf buddies together and play all three of our championship golf courses, each uniquely challenging. Our golf vacation packages include instruction time, accommodations and tee times, and be sure to take advantage of our free club fittings and free golf demo on Mondays at 4 p.m. at the Robert Trent Jones course.
5) Family Fun – Got kids? We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Our Ultimate Family package and Sun ‘N Fun Island escape are uniquely designed to entertain all ages down to our smallest guests. Kids will find lots to do at the resort like family tees at our golf courses, junior tennis clinics and round robins, fishing, crabbing and summer Surf School just to name a few.
What kind of Hilton Head package sounds like the perfect fit for your vacation? If we can answer any questions or tailor any package to better fit your needs, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
Our Hilton Head golf and tennis pro shops offer a variety of apparel and accessories for women for golf, tennis and even every day wear. One of our biggest sellers is locally-based Spartina 449. Their scarves and bags are a big hit with our female shoppers. Try one of their latest patterns for a gift Mom can wear all spring and summer.
The Annika Paramount Collection from Cutter & Buck is another classy choice for ladies who love to golf. It’s designed to be feminine yet sporty and utilizes the latest breakthroughs in fabric for maximum comfort for women on the move. In hues of blue, green and yellow, it makes a fashion statement on the greens.
Since we just opened our brand new online apparel store, you can also gift Mom with a Palmetto Dunes logoed item. How about a visor, polo or comfy robe? Choose from a variety of colors and styles and select your favorite Palmetto Dunes logo.
If you’re not exactly sure what your mom would like best, why not give her a Palmetto Dunes gift card? Order by the Wednesday before Mother’s Day to ensure on-time arrival. The card is redeemable at all point-of-sale locations around the resort and is good for accommodations, golf, tennis, bike rentals, Big Jim’s restaurant, the Dunes House and more.
Lastly, if Mom likes to while away hours on Pinterest, be sure to share our Pinterest board showcasing 10 Activities for Moms at Palmetto Dunes with her. Go ahead… let her dream of the beach, or better yet, bring her for a stay with us this spring or summer. Give us a ring at 866-650-4130.
The time between Christmas and Valentine’s is one of the most popular times of year to get engaged, so we know many of you are planning your summer and fall weddings right now. If a beach wedding is something you’ve always dreamed about, consider Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort to host your nuptials.
At Palmetto Dunes, we offer several venues, including the oceanfront Dunes House, which offers dining facilities for your reception after you tie the knot with your toes in the sand. A FoxNews article also recently featured our unique option to get married on our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones golf course. Ride in on a golf cart, write your name in the sand trap and celebrate your new last name as it waves on a flag in the famed 10th hole.
Brides have wonderful things to say about their beach weddings at Palmetto Dunes. One bride wrote recently on WeddingWire.com:
“…our experience at Palmetto Dunes was a very positive one! At any point through the wedding planning if we had a question or concern we would email or call, and within hours, we would have a response. This was really helpful because trying to plan a wedding in a different state can seem to be a little overwhelming. I strongly recommend having your wedding at Palmetto Dunes Resort.”
Our oceanfront Hilton Head weddings are truly gorgeous, too. To feast your eyes on some past beach weddings at the resort, take a peek at our Hilton Head weddings Pinterest board. It just might help you envision what your dream day will look like:
Follow Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort's board Hilton Head Weddings on Pinterest.
Or browse our wedding photo gallery for some ideas for your perfect wedding day at Palmetto Dunes.
Palmetto Dunes provides catering, both wedding and reception venues, activities for bridesmaids and groomsmen, Hilton Head honeymoon packages and lots more!
Want more information? Request a wedding proposal or give Lindsay, our catering and events sales manager a call directly at 866-650-4130. Here’s to your happy ever after… on the beach!
We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
1) Swim -- What child doesn’t love to jump in the water and splash away? We figure that’s probably the first thing they’re going to want to do when they arrive, so we put it first on the list. Depending on the weather, if the ocean waters are a little too cool yet, hit the pool at your Hilton Head vacation rental, some of which are heated, and should be plenty warm in the sun.
2) Ride a bike – Our next suggestion that kids will love is riding their bike. We’re sure they’re already used to it at home and now they’ve got an entirely new area to explore. We recently replaced most of our bike paths, which number 5 miles within the resort alone. Instead of driving your car, ride your bike to the beach, to lunch, to golf, you name it! Get your Hilton Head bike rentals and all the gear you need at Hilton Head Outfitters.
3) Learn a new skill – Palmetto Dunes offers wonderful junior programs for both golf and tennis. Not only will kids and teens stay active and keep their minds firing, they’ll come home from Hilton Head Island proud to show their friends what they’ve learned. Watch these fun videos about our Little Swingers golf class and junior tennis clinics.
4) Explore nature – Nature is all around you on Hilton Head Island from the moss-draped live oak trees and colorful azaleas to shore birds and plentiful fish. Rent double kayaks and put an adult with each child for a peaceful kayak through our calm 11-mile lagoon system. See who can spot the most birds!
5) Reel in a big one – We have lots of great fishing around Palmetto Dunes, including our fair share of “monster” fish. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter on our lagoon and see if you can reel in Elvis, the giant red fish, or head out into the ocean for some exciting shark fishing for the whole family.
6) Go crabbing – This one may surprise you, but crabbing in Hilton Head is one of our favorite activities for families because everyone can get involved. Our charter, the Crabber J, teaches you how to catch a crab and then awards their world-famous Crabber J T-shirt to the person who catches the most!
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.
One of the best parts of Palmetto Dunes? Its beauty! And the best way to show that off, besides being here in person, is through photography. That’s why we decided that Pinterest is a great fit for our resort – it allows us to share our beautiful library of photos, which we add to daily, with the crowds that are gathering on Pinterest every day.
After a long dreary winter, it’s a great escape to hop on Pinterest and view pic after pic of warm weather locales, ocean views, sunsets, beach vistas and more. Of course, we’ve loaded plenty of those up for you on our Beach at Palmetto Dunes board on Pinterest.
Are you a tennis fan? Then you’ll “love” our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center board with all things tennis, including quotes, videos, articles and more.
Be sure to join in all the fun we’re having on Pinterest! Follow our profile and your favorite boards to stay close to the beach all year long.
Last week, the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport celebrated in high style as JetBlue landed its first planes at the airport, making the area the latest addition to the airline’s routes. There will now be daily flights coming into and out of Hilton Head Island from New York’s JFK and Boston Logan airports, connecting from many other cities across the country.
The addition of the airline is good news for the Lowcountry, as it adds more options for vacationers coming to the island. Already, JetBlue plans to increase the capacity of the airplanes flying into the area by 50% due to high demand, and other airlines have also lowered costs and added flights and additional seats.
On February 13, the first flights flew into the Savannah-Hilton Head International airport and the area hosted a grand celebration. Local officials and guests enjoyed blue cocktails, visits with “Forrest Gump,” comments from company executives and more. Major media, including representatives from Travel + Leisure, Southern Living, New York Magazine and others flew in for the event. Take a look at our board on Pinterest chronicling the entire event.
The Savannah/Hilton Head area has invested in a marketing effort to lure Northeasterners ready for a warm weather getaway to the Lowcountry area, which includes advertising in major outlets, as well as billboards atop taxis in New York City noting “Hilton Head is in full ‘swing’.”
Palmetto Dunes has created a package for those looking for a great airfare rate to play world-class golf in the Lowcountry. The Blue and Greens package includes a $200 JetBlue gift card per person good toward airfare, as well as 4 days/3 nights in a resort view villa, 2 rounds of golf per person at our beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3-day Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters and 2 hours of complementary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center.
We’re so excited to have JetBlue in town and hope you are, too! Be sure to check their rates before planning your next Hilton Head vacation to Palmetto Dunes.
Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to book the Blue and Greens package or for any other resort or Hilton Head vacation questions. Fly safe!
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, its just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by bookingHilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips onbeachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
10Best readers have it right: Hilton Head Island’s beaches are awesome. The travel website recently released its list of the 10Best beaches in the U.S., chosen by the readers, and Hilton Head was ranked No. 2! Vacationers ranked Hilton Head above beaches in California, Florida and Hawaii!
From sunrise yoga to bike rides at sunset and everything in between, Hilton Head beaches are the perfect place to spend a vacation. This barrier island has 12 miles of gorgeous beach, three of which are located within Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
If you really study the beach itself, you’ll notice Hilton Head’s beaches are uninterrupted and wide. In addition to soft sand, the lower part – closest to the water – is hard-packed and perfect for building sandcastles, a game of Frisbee, running, walking or riding a bike.
Palmetto Dunes takes great care of the 3 miles of pristine beaches located at the resort. We invigorated our beaches using tons of sand dredged from our 11-mile lagoon system and Shelter Cove Marina.
We also offer lots of “toys” for our guests to enjoy on the beach, including surfboards, boogie boards, bicycles and more. Also on the property is the Dunes House, a public access beach facility located midway down the 3-mile stretch of beach. It features a deck, resort beach restrooms and limited parking for resort guests.
At Palmetto Dunes, even golfers can still enjoy the beach while at play. Our Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course (one of three courses on the resort) is one of only two oceanfront holes on Hilton Head Island. Its signature hole, the par-five 10th, offers an amazing view of one of the 10Best beaches in the nation.
As you enjoy the sand and surf, there are several regulations by the town of Hilton Head to keep in mind. The following are not permitted: alcohol, glass bottles/containers, littering, fires and fireworks and shark fishing.
We also want to protect these amazing beaches, so please be careful to throw your trash away in provided receptacles and please stay away from the sand dunes and sea oats, as well as other dune flora. Remember to leave any live animals and beach fauna you find alone, which includes sand dollars, starfish and conchs. Also, please turn out your beachfront lights to help make sure the baby sea turtles make their way out to sea.
We’d love to help you plan an amazing vacation at one of the 10Best beaches in the nation, so feel free tovisit our website for details on Palmetto Dunes Resort’s Hilton Head vacation homes and villas, activities and amenities, or call us at (866) 744-7558.
We know that many of you are experiencing chilling temperatures, snowy skies and icy roads. While we can’t make it summer any earlier and we can’t raise the temperatures to the lovely mild days we’re experiencing here on Hilton Head, we can give you live updates and visuals of the beach every day! We have two webcams set up on the resort, one at The Dunes House and the other at The Robert Trent Jones Golf Course.
If you’re in need of a little golf action on a cold day, check out the webcam at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. This beautiful course was renovated in 2002 to reshape fairways, trees, greens and bunkers. We were also able to improve the natural draining of the course by linking it to our 11-mile lagoon system. The Jones Course has 11 holes that run by the lagoon and 10th hole has a spectacular view of the ocean! This webcam is sure to make you want to pack up your clubs and head down to Hilton Head.
If you’ve had a rough week and need a minute of rest and relaxation from work, then check out The Dunes House webcam. The Dunes House is known for their awesome fish tacos and amazing view of the ocean. This webcam is situated in the perfect place to give you a view of guests enjoying lunch and watching the waves rolling in! If you’re a romantic, check this webcam on the weekends for a chance to see a wedding happening live on the beach!
We want to bring you a little piece of Hilton Head and all that Palmetto Dunes has to offer whenever you want it by maintaining these webcams. The best part is the next time you’re here you can tell your family or friends to tune in to see what a great time you’re having on vacation!
You work hard to stay in shape when you’re at home, and you certainly don’t want to let all that hard work go to waste by stopping on vacation. No worries. When you come to Palmetto Dunes, we’ve got you covered. Hilton Head Island is the perfect place to run, bike or even try something new, like beachfront yoga! Here are some options to help you return with the same, or better, beach bod that you arrived with:
Hilton Head Outfitters offers a wide variety of bicycles to rent. Guests can bike through the smooth streets, which are perfect for a calm, breezy ride. If you’re up for more of a challenge, try a vigorous ride on the beach, which can burn up to 500 calories an hour! Another Palmetto Dunes activity that really gets the blood flowing is Cardio Tennis!
If you are a yoga enthusiast, you’ve got plenty to choose from. With many yoga studios around the island, you’re sure to find the right fit! Our favorite is oceanfront yoga. What could be a better workout than practicing poses with the waves crashing serenely in the background? Beach Yoga is available in front of the Dunes House on Palmetto Dunes taught by Pamela Eaton.
If you’re interested in visiting a more traditional gym, there are several on the island to try. We have anAnytime Fitness, Beach City Health and Fitness and Players Club Fitness Center to name a few. But, if you’re looking for an awesome challenge we suggest trying CrossFit. Our own tennis maven, Jackie, attends each morning and highly recommends it!
So whether you’re into tennis, biking, running or lifting here in Hilton Head Island, we’ve got all you need to get your sweat on! Let us know if you try any of our suggestions and how they “work out”.