by Captain Miles
Fall is a special time here in the Lowcountry for many reasons, the weather is better, the crowds thin...and the bull redfish swarm inshore waters. The bulls, 20 pounds upwards to the 50 pound mark are here or offshore all year, but this time of year they come close in big numbers with catches of 20 or more fish in a trip not at all uncommon.
The strength of these fish is incredible, rivaling any other fish its size short of an amberjack or tuna. I usually fish heaby spinning reels with 50 pound braid and even with a heavy drag they will strip line off at an alarming pace, and do it several times in a battle. I have fished lighter tackle but the lengthly battle takes a toll on these big fish and they must be released, the law being everything over 23 inches must be returned to the water.
The smaller redfish also invade the creeks this time of year offering the best light tackle sport available. Shrimp, live or dead, cut mullet and menhaden all are favorite baits when fishing inshore. The "slot" or keeper size is 15-23 inches and by SC law you may keep three fish per person. Not only are redfish a blast to catch, but they are delicious. Before Chef Pail Prudhomme introduced "blackened redfish" these fish were locally known as spot tail bass or puppy drum. Officially, their proper name is red drum. Coloration is usually a deep burnt orange or copper across the back with a single spot at the base of the tail. Some fish have multiple spots from the tail to the middle of the fish. A strong and broad tail and thick shoulders give it all the horsepower it needs to make your day.
Good conservation and our local mariculture center have provided some of the best stocks of redfish I have seen in forty years of fishing this area. Al Stokes and his crew at the Mariculture Center have been boosting the local population with their work for years. The proof is in the pudding whether you want to light tackles redfish in the creeks or chase the big bulls, now is the perfect time.
Afraid Hilton Head Island prices are beyond your reach? Think again! Palmetto Dunes, especially in the off season, which includes the holidays, may be more economical than you thought.
From October 2014-March 2015, we have rates for a two-bedroom resort view villa starting at only $159/night! And unlike a traditional hotel room, you get a full villa with many of the amenities of home like a full kitchen and dining area and a washer/dryer, which makes packing so much easier. Our villas also have TVs, wireless Internet access and many have porches, balconies or decks to enjoy Lowcountry views, as well as gyms, pools and elevators. Additional bedrooms and ocean views are available for a higher starting rate.
Plus, when you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you get even more value for your nightly rate, including two free hours of tennis daily and 20% off resort dining and items at select retail outlets. Our guests also receive preferred rates and priority access to our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and golf lessons, Hilton Head tennis clinics, Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, fishing charters and more.
Got a pooch who wants to join you at the beach? No problem! We offer several Hilton Head pet-friendly accommodations during this season.
Always dreamed of spending the holidays watching the waves crash after your turkey dinner or opening gifts? These prices remain the same during Thanksgiving or the December holiday break, too – an amazing deal!
Fall and winter are wonderful seasons to visit the island with much milder temperatures than you’ll find up north and all the same fun Lowcountry activities available. Take a look at our recent blog on 7 Fall Activities to do on Hilton Head Island.
Let us know if we can get that $159/night rate locked in for you and your family! Give us a ring at 866-650-4130 and browse our Hilton Head vacation rentals to find the perfect vacation home for your visit.
If you love the calmness of the lagoon or if fishing tops your list when you visit Hilton Head Island, you may want to consider this lovely Hilton Head vacation home. This oasis is located at 71 Off Shore withinPalmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Situated right on the lagoon, where you can literally pop out your door and drop your fishing pole in the water, 71 Off Shore is a 4-bedroom, 3-bathroom home away from home.
It comes with its own dock right behind the home, where you’ll also find a refreshing pool for a dip after a day in the Carolina sunshine. The outdoor area features a gas grill, as well as a patio table and chairs with an umbrella so you can enjoy the wonderful lagoon view and Lowcountry scenery.
Step inside to find a fully-equipped and updated kitchen along with a large living area, overlooking the lagoon and pool. You’ll also find flat screen TVs, should you need a rest on the couch after a day of activity on Hilton Head Island.
There are four bedrooms, two with king beds, one with 2 twin beds and a fourth with 1 queen bed. You’ll also enjoy a washer/dryer if you need to give your swimsuits a spin during your trip, as well as, cable TV and wireless Internet access.
When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you enjoy the best rates and special discounts for activities and dining within the resort. All guests receive two hours of free tennis court time daily, as well as, discounts and access to the oceanfront Dunes House, Big Jim’s restaurant, the best rates on tee times, as well as kayaking, bike rentals and more. Palmetto Dunes is also centrally located, putting you within a few minutes drive to all sides of the island.
To book 71 Off Shore for your next Hilton Head Island vacation, give us a call at 866-650-4130.
One of the best things about Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is the opportunity for golfers to experience three 18-hole championship Hilton Head golf courses all at one resort with first tees no more than 5 minutes apart. Designers Robert Trent Jones, George Fazio and Arthur Hills all have established golf courses at our resort and each offers a unique playing experience for the golf lover.
Robert Trent Jones Golf Course
The Jones course is perhaps best known for its oceanfront setting with one of only two oceanfront holes on the entire island. Its layout is immaculate and stunning in its beauty and the view from the famed 10th green is not one that will soon be forgotten (we’ve even had weddings there!). Jones plays away from the clubhouse until it reaches its famed back-to-back par-5s that play out to the ocean. It’s also known to have the most accommodating fairways of the trio of courses, though keep in mind you might lose a ball or two as the course winds its way over the resort’s inland lagoon system.
George Fazio Golf Course
We hear a lot that the Fazio course is the most challenging of our courses. It offers the island’s only par-70 layout, whose long par-4s, elevated greens and deep bunkers will test all facets of your game. Known as a great course for “faders” of the golf ball, the Fazio course features a unique double green at 11 and 16 that gives you a peek at what many experts believe is the toughest finishing stretch of holes on the island. These are a Fantastic Four featuring three par-4s over 400 yards from the white tees and a par-3 just a step less than 190.
Arthur Hills Golf Course
Lastly, you’ll find our Hills course, which is as much a tour of a wildlife sanctuary (keep your eye out for waterfowl and an alligator here or there) as a round of golf with its natural beauty. There are those who say they could play the Hills Course every day and never play it the same way twice with the diversity of strategies presented. PGA Tour star Bryce Molder shot a course-record 60 here while in college, while Tiger Woods took an 8 at the signature 17th, a par-4 that requires a drive and an approach over and around one of the many lagoons on the layout.
At all three courses, you’ll find five sets of tees, including family tees, to create an enjoyable, yet challenging round to players of all skill levels. You’ll also find three different putting surfaces: Champion Bermuda on the Jones Course, shade-tolerant Diamond Zoysia on the Fazio and TifDwarf Bermuda on the Hills Course.
Which of the courses will you take on? Do you dare try all three and 54 holes on one visit?! Let us know if you take the challenge and how you did!
You just can’t head to the beach without a good book! We’ve picked some of the latest books from our favorite best-selling authors who either live in or write about the Lowcountry to give you the perfect beach read list for your visit to Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Hurricane Sisters: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank – A very popular writer and New York Times bestselling author, Dorothea Benton Frank tells another Lowcountry tale, this time focusing on three generations of women and the “hurricanes” in each of their lives.
2) The Stories We Tell by Patti Callahan Henry – In this southern tale to be released on June 24, Henry follows the drama of a fictional Savannah power couple and their family.
3) The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe – The latest from Mary Alice Monroe, and the second in the Lowcountry Summer Trilogy, “The Summer Wind” continues the heartwarming story of three half-sisters and their grandmother as they rediscover their Southern roots and family bonds.
4) The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd – Selected for Oprah’s Book Club, “The Invention of Wings” by “The Secret Life of Bees” author Sue Monk Kidd chronicles the life of an urban slave in 19th century Charleston and the daughter of the wealthy family for whom she serves as a waiting maid.
5) Return to Tradd Street by Karen White – Debuting on the New York Times bestsellers list at No. 6, “Return to Tradd Street” takes place in Charleston and offers an element of the paranormal. It tells of a new mother, who happens to be a psychic, and the mystery of a ghostly infant crying.
What book are you most looking forward to reading this summer?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head Island vacation to our 3 miles of beautiful beach, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
Are you considering a Hilton Head vacation soon? Let us help you plan the perfect getaway that fits your hobbies and interests. At Palmetto Dunes, we offer so many activities from fishing to biking and from tennis to golf that you’ll be hard pressed not to find something you’ll love. Here are 5 great ways to vacation at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Tennis Getaways – If you “love” tennis, we’ve got all sorts of fun packages and activities for you. With the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which sees thousands of visitors every year, you can find clinics, round robins, equipment demonstrations, tennis tournaments and more. We offer tennis vacation packages that include instruction and tennis court time and are even tailored to large groups. If you really love tennis, consider ourExtreme Tennis Vacation!
2) For the Outdoor Lover – There’s so much to do outdoors at Palmetto Dunes and so much beauty to see. The Outdoor Adventure packagerolls the best of our outdoor activities all into one with at least three nights of accommodations in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, kayak rentals, a dolphin cruise, Hilton Head bike rentalsand tennis court time daily.
3) Romance in Bloom – Looking for a romantic getaway for just the two of you? We offer several romance packages like our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration that include spa treatments, bike rentals, kayak rentals and more.
4) Golfers Delight – Get your best golf buddies together and play all three of our championship golf courses, each uniquely challenging. Our golf vacation packages include instruction time, accommodations and tee times, and be sure to take advantage of our free club fittings and free golf demo on Mondays at 4 p.m. at the Robert Trent Jones course.
5) Family Fun – Got kids? We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Our Ultimate Family package and Sun ‘N Fun Island escape are uniquely designed to entertain all ages down to our smallest guests. Kids will find lots to do at the resort like family tees at our golf courses, junior tennis clinics and round robins, fishing, crabbing and summer Surf School just to name a few.
What kind of Hilton Head package sounds like the perfect fit for your vacation? If we can answer any questions or tailor any package to better fit your needs, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
Matt Ginella, host of Morning Drive on the Golf Channel, mentioned our Robert Trent Jones golf course as one of the best Hilton Head golf courses to play. Watch the segment on Hilton Head here:
Our Hilton Head golf and tennis pro shops offer a variety of apparel and accessories for women for golf, tennis and even every day wear. One of our biggest sellers is locally-based Spartina 449. Their scarves and bags are a big hit with our female shoppers. Try one of their latest patterns for a gift Mom can wear all spring and summer.
The Annika Paramount Collection from Cutter & Buck is another classy choice for ladies who love to golf. It’s designed to be feminine yet sporty and utilizes the latest breakthroughs in fabric for maximum comfort for women on the move. In hues of blue, green and yellow, it makes a fashion statement on the greens.
Since we just opened our brand new online apparel store, you can also gift Mom with a Palmetto Dunes logoed item. How about a visor, polo or comfy robe? Choose from a variety of colors and styles and select your favorite Palmetto Dunes logo.
If you’re not exactly sure what your mom would like best, why not give her a Palmetto Dunes gift card? Order by the Wednesday before Mother’s Day to ensure on-time arrival. The card is redeemable at all point-of-sale locations around the resort and is good for accommodations, golf, tennis, bike rentals, Big Jim’s restaurant, the Dunes House and more.
Lastly, if Mom likes to while away hours on Pinterest, be sure to share our Pinterest board showcasing 10 Activities for Moms at Palmetto Dunes with her. Go ahead… let her dream of the beach, or better yet, bring her for a stay with us this spring or summer. Give us a ring at 866-650-4130.
Palmetto Dunes' year-round moderate temperatures make our resort the perfect place for golf, tennis, biking and beach any time of the year. View the average highs by month in comparison to other popular vacation destinations below:
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.