If you’re looking to improve your tennis game, you’ve come to the right place. With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center every year and more than 40 different Hilton Head tennis clinics available every week March through October, we know how to help you better your skills.
Here some tennis tips from our Hilton Head tennis pros at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
For a more consistent toss on your serve
Pump your arms like a sprinter
If you have to sprint a considerable distance, say from behind the baseline to inside the service line or from corner to corner, you’ll find that you can move much faster if you take your nondominant hand off the handle and pump your arms like a sprinter. If you need to hit a two-handed shot, you can put your hand back on the racquet just before swinging.
Decide ahead of time
Indecision is costly in tennis, but there are two times when you should never be guilty of this cardinal sin: when you are serving and returning serve. Before you step up to the line to hit a serve, know what kind of placement, speed and spin you want to give it. When returning serve, decide and picture in your mind what you’ll do with the ball on both forehand and backhand sides if you get a good swing at the ball.
Watch the contact or see the sound
Everyone watches the ball, but not the contact of the ball. Keep your head still until you can see the blur of the ball, a yellow streak, coming off of your racquet. Or think of seeing the ball all the way in to your racquet until you hear the sound hit your strings. You should not look at the other side until after your follow-through.
Your grip tension must be relaxed on every stroke. Over-squeezing makes the whole arm tense up, which causes you to muscle the ball over the net. This can create tennis elbow down the road.
On a scale of 1 to 5, your grip tension should never be tighter than a 2 tension -- 1 being as loose as you can hold, 5 being as tight as you can hold. Be even lighter on your serve and overheads where it should be a 1 ½ tension.
Imagine you are holding a baby bird and you don’t want him to fly away but you don’t want to smash him in your hands either. That’s a relaxed grip tension. So think of being relaxed and effortless but not muscling the ball.
Serve Like Agassi
Very few people can blast a serve like Andy Roddick, so, instead, take Agassi’s approach. Agassi moved his serve around the box and would often hit a big kicker to start off the point. At times he would go for an ace with a flat serve, but usually he would hit a slice or kicker with varying speeds and placement to keep his opponent off balance. Agassi used his serve to set up points rather than trying to finish them.
We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
1) Swim -- What child doesn’t love to jump in the water and splash away? We figure that’s probably the first thing they’re going to want to do when they arrive, so we put it first on the list. Depending on the weather, if the ocean waters are a little too cool yet, hit the pool at your Hilton Head vacation rental, some of which are heated, and should be plenty warm in the sun.
2) Ride a bike – Our next suggestion that kids will love is riding their bike. We’re sure they’re already used to it at home and now they’ve got an entirely new area to explore. We recently replaced most of our bike paths, which number 5 miles within the resort alone. Instead of driving your car, ride your bike to the beach, to lunch, to golf, you name it! Get your Hilton Head bike rentals and all the gear you need at Hilton Head Outfitters.
3) Learn a new skill – Palmetto Dunes offers wonderful junior programs for both golf and tennis. Not only will kids and teens stay active and keep their minds firing, they’ll come home from Hilton Head Island proud to show their friends what they’ve learned. Watch these fun videos about our Little Swingers golf class and junior tennis clinics.
4) Explore nature – Nature is all around you on Hilton Head Island from the moss-draped live oak trees and colorful azaleas to shore birds and plentiful fish. Rent double kayaks and put an adult with each child for a peaceful kayak through our calm 11-mile lagoon system. See who can spot the most birds!
5) Reel in a big one – We have lots of great fishing around Palmetto Dunes, including our fair share of “monster” fish. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter on our lagoon and see if you can reel in Elvis, the giant red fish, or head out into the ocean for some exciting shark fishing for the whole family.
6) Go crabbing – This one may surprise you, but crabbing in Hilton Head is one of our favorite activities for families because everyone can get involved. Our charter, the Crabber J, teaches you how to catch a crab and then awards their world-famous Crabber J T-shirt to the person who catches the most!
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.
One of the best parts of Palmetto Dunes? Its beauty! And the best way to show that off, besides being here in person, is through photography. That’s why we decided that Pinterest is a great fit for our resort – it allows us to share our beautiful library of photos, which we add to daily, with the crowds that are gathering on Pinterest every day.
After a long dreary winter, it’s a great escape to hop on Pinterest and view pic after pic of warm weather locales, ocean views, sunsets, beach vistas and more. Of course, we’ve loaded plenty of those up for you on our Beach at Palmetto Dunes board on Pinterest.
Are you a tennis fan? Then you’ll “love” our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center board with all things tennis, including quotes, videos, articles and more.
Be sure to join in all the fun we’re having on Pinterest! Follow our profile and your favorite boards to stay close to the beach all year long.
TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinicsweekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.