If you’re looking to improve your tennis game, you’ve come to the right place. With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center every year and more than 40 different Hilton Head tennis clinics available every week March through October, we know how to help you better your skills.
Here some tennis tips from our Hilton Head tennis pros at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
For a more consistent toss on your serve
Pump your arms like a sprinter
If you have to sprint a considerable distance, say from behind the baseline to inside the service line or from corner to corner, you’ll find that you can move much faster if you take your nondominant hand off the handle and pump your arms like a sprinter. If you need to hit a two-handed shot, you can put your hand back on the racquet just before swinging.
Decide ahead of time
Indecision is costly in tennis, but there are two times when you should never be guilty of this cardinal sin: when you are serving and returning serve. Before you step up to the line to hit a serve, know what kind of placement, speed and spin you want to give it. When returning serve, decide and picture in your mind what you’ll do with the ball on both forehand and backhand sides if you get a good swing at the ball.
Watch the contact or see the sound
Everyone watches the ball, but not the contact of the ball. Keep your head still until you can see the blur of the ball, a yellow streak, coming off of your racquet. Or think of seeing the ball all the way in to your racquet until you hear the sound hit your strings. You should not look at the other side until after your follow-through.
Your grip tension must be relaxed on every stroke. Over-squeezing makes the whole arm tense up, which causes you to muscle the ball over the net. This can create tennis elbow down the road.
On a scale of 1 to 5, your grip tension should never be tighter than a 2 tension -- 1 being as loose as you can hold, 5 being as tight as you can hold. Be even lighter on your serve and overheads where it should be a 1 ½ tension.
Imagine you are holding a baby bird and you don’t want him to fly away but you don’t want to smash him in your hands either. That’s a relaxed grip tension. So think of being relaxed and effortless but not muscling the ball.
Serve Like Agassi
Very few people can blast a serve like Andy Roddick, so, instead, take Agassi’s approach. Agassi moved his serve around the box and would often hit a big kicker to start off the point. At times he would go for an ace with a flat serve, but usually he would hit a slice or kicker with varying speeds and placement to keep his opponent off balance. Agassi used his serve to set up points rather than trying to finish them.
We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
1) Swim -- What child doesn’t love to jump in the water and splash away? We figure that’s probably the first thing they’re going to want to do when they arrive, so we put it first on the list. Depending on the weather, if the ocean waters are a little too cool yet, hit the pool at your Hilton Head vacation rental, some of which are heated, and should be plenty warm in the sun.
2) Ride a bike – Our next suggestion that kids will love is riding their bike. We’re sure they’re already used to it at home and now they’ve got an entirely new area to explore. We recently replaced most of our bike paths, which number 5 miles within the resort alone. Instead of driving your car, ride your bike to the beach, to lunch, to golf, you name it! Get your Hilton Head bike rentals and all the gear you need at Hilton Head Outfitters.
3) Learn a new skill – Palmetto Dunes offers wonderful junior programs for both golf and tennis. Not only will kids and teens stay active and keep their minds firing, they’ll come home from Hilton Head Island proud to show their friends what they’ve learned. Watch these fun videos about our Little Swingers golf class and junior tennis clinics.
4) Explore nature – Nature is all around you on Hilton Head Island from the moss-draped live oak trees and colorful azaleas to shore birds and plentiful fish. Rent double kayaks and put an adult with each child for a peaceful kayak through our calm 11-mile lagoon system. See who can spot the most birds!
5) Reel in a big one – We have lots of great fishing around Palmetto Dunes, including our fair share of “monster” fish. Take a Hilton Head fishing charter on our lagoon and see if you can reel in Elvis, the giant red fish, or head out into the ocean for some exciting shark fishing for the whole family.
6) Go crabbing – This one may surprise you, but crabbing in Hilton Head is one of our favorite activities for families because everyone can get involved. Our charter, the Crabber J, teaches you how to catch a crab and then awards their world-famous Crabber J T-shirt to the person who catches the most!
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinicsweekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
What’s your family doing this Memorial Day? May we suggest a visit to Hilton Head? We’ve got a host of different events all weekend that will appeal to a variety of interests.
Shelter Cove Harbour will once again host the annual Hilton Head Art Fest, now in its 5th year, which gives art lovers and novices alike the chance to browse art in a variety of media in the wonderful outdoor setting of Shelter Cove.
On Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26 from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Hilton Head vacationers and locals can visit the free arts and crafts market to see artwork from some 150 fine artists nationwide. Shoppers will find watercolor, jewelry, oils, ceramics, glass, photography and even life-size sculptures! Can you imagine taking home something akin to the famous King Neptune statue at Shelter Cove?
The artists at the festival are hand selected from hundreds of applicants to ensure an extensive variety of items that will appeal to a broad range of art enthusiasts, collectors and those looking for unique gifts. We can’t think of anything more amazing than taking back a work of art as a souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation!
Also, at Shelter Cove Harbour are a variety of musical performances, including Shannon Tanner who will kick off the 25th annual HarbourFest on May 24. He’ll play Friday-Sunday at both 6:30 and 8 p.m., entertaining crowds with his beloved kid-friendly songs like “My Hair Had a Party Last Night.”
During the day on both Saturday and Sunday, Shelter Cove Harbour will host the Patwa reggae band, a local favorite and perfect for setting a laid-back island mood. Grab a margarita at San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant and you’re set!
If your group wants to get more active, why not enroll in our Family Golf School, which is designed to fit a family’s needs and skill level or try our 90-minute Hilton Head surf school and learn how to catch a wave in no time. We’ll also be hosting adult tennis round robins over the weekend or try our new guided stand up paddleboarding tours of our 11-mile lagoon or the ocean for tailored paddleboarding guidance and a lesson on the flora and fauna of Hilton Head.
What are your plans for Memorial Day weekend? We hope they involve Hilton Head! If they don’t, go ahead and visit our Hilton Head web cams and pretend like you’re here :-).
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!