The teams are set -- it’s the amazing comeback Seattle Seahawks versus the perennial favorite New England Patriots for Super Bowl XLIX Feb 1. Here at Palmetto Dunes on Hilton Head Island, we’ve got some fun activities you can enjoy before, during and after the Big Game.
Super Bowl Golf Tournament
Before the Big Game, kill some time by joining our Super Bowl Golf Tournament at the Robert Trent Jones course Feb.1, the morning of the game, at 9 a.m. It will be a shotgun start and four-person team scramble format. The cost to play is $45 per person of $180 per team, and your registration includes not only the tournament, but beer and snacks, as well to get your day off to a “super” start. Sign up to play.
Game Day Specials at Big Jim’s Restaurant
After you’ve ideally won the Super Bowl golf tournament, head direct to the restaurant on the course, Big Jim’s, where we’ll be serving game day specials and have our eight big screen TVs tuned to all things NFL football. Enjoy an all-you-can-eat BBQ buffet for $12.99 per person and drink specials like $15 domestic buckets and 2 for 1 craft beers.
Score a Golf Deal
Whether your team wins or loses, you’ll still “score” a deal the day after the Super Bowl with our golf special. Book your tee time and pay only the winning team’s score on Feb. 2 at the George Fazio course. Here’s hoping it’s a low scoring game :). Mention “Super Bowl Score Special” when booking your Hilton Head tee time at 843-785-1138.
Have a great Super Bowl! For more information about a Hilton Head weekend getaway to enjoy the Super Bowl on the island, visit www.palmettodunes.com.
True, we may be showing our age by referencing the old TV action hero who made a name for himself, literally, through his ability to seemingly escape any jam with nothing more than … say … a small paperclip and a piece of chewing gum. But as you will see, the MacGyver-like ability to “get creative” when planning golf trips can be very helpful.
MacGyver didn't have the power of the internet. However, he was always prepared. Imagine how easy it would have been to plan his annual buddy golf trip had he possessed the powerful tools offered by Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on Hilton Head Island.
This year, impress your golf buddies by planning a trip MacGyver-style, but just don't let them know how easy it was!
1) Newly launched Website with quick quoting capabilities
|Get Quick Golf Quote|
Planning a Hilton Head Island golf vacation just got even easier with a new user-friendly and device responsive website for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. The new website, located at www.palmettodunes.com, lets guests sort almost 150 Hilton Head vacation homes and rentals by date, location, view and number of people each unit can accommodate. Users can now also reserve golf tee times, bikes, kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, beach chairs and more via the click of the mouse.
The website can be easily viewed and navigated across a variety of electronic devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile devices. Other features include a new easy-to-navigate resort calendar that helps users view the variety of events taking place at Palmetto Dunes during their vacation, which can include nearly 30 tennis clinics weekly, along with golf clinics, dining specials, live music, family events at Palmetto Dunes' waterfront Shelter Cove Harbour and others.
2) Online planning resources to make trip planning easy
Indeed, you really don't need more than a phone or a computer to “MacGyver” your next Hilton Head Island golf trip. Don't desire to lug your golf clubs? The Palmetto Dunes Rental Club Program is a far cry from the worn-out, no name sets available elsewhere. Only full sets of the very latest clubs from top brands TaylorMade, Nike, and Cobra are offered to visiting golfers in need of equipment. Or you can ship your clubs directly to our courses with ease using our partner Shipticks. Ground shipping is as low as $39.99.
The new Palmetto Dunes website's interactive map allows users to clearly view and highlight the location of various activities and hubs within the resort, including its three championship golf courses, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, oceanfront Dunes House restaurant and meeting venue, Hilton Head Outfitters, bike paths, beach access points and more. Viewers can also see where specific neighborhoods and vacation units are located within the resort and their proximity to different activities.
3) Pre-plan the games your group can play while at Palmetto Dunes
During peak times when activities and gear can easily sell out, the ability to quickly reserve your rentals and tee times online in advance helps guests ensure they have access to the activities most important to them. The new website simplifies the vacation preparation process for busy guests and makes it easier to plan their activities and schedule ahead of time.
Golfers can watch virtual flyovers of the three resort golf courses, see maps of each hole and sneak a peek at the immensely popular Robert Trent Jones golf course web cam, watching golfers start and conclude their rounds.
4) Scout out how to play each hole on the free golf mobile app to gain an extra advantage
Always striving to remain ahead of the golf industry curve, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort has created a free golf app for a golfer's smartphone that MacGyver would have loved: The app answers questions in real time such as: “What’s the best way to play this hole? How will I ever get around that sand trap?” Or perhaps, “I’m getting hungry. Wonder where can I get lunch or a cold drink after I get this hole-n-one?”
In addition, golfers can keep track of yardage with the app’s built-in GPS and enter their score into a mobile scorecard that also allows them to engage in live competition with others on their golf buddy trip. Use the app to check information about each hole on each course (par, handicap and playing tips), and when you make that ace, the app makes it easy to brag about it on Facebook.
Along with its trio of world-class golf courses, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort features an 11-mile inland salt-water lagoon system, an award-winning tennis center, a Mediterranean-style marina featuring shopping and dining, and an outdoor adventure center for bike rentals, canoes, kayaks, fishing and much more. Earn preferred rates and priority access for golf, tennis bikes and more, along with up to 20% off resort dining and select retail with charging privileges and booking tips from the island experts.
So grab your Swiss Army Knife and make MacGyver proud … along with your friends and family … when you plan your next golf trip to the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
|Get Quick Golf Quote|
The days of summer are long gone with memories of your beach vacation fading by the day. It’s time to stoke that vacation fever and step out of your fall funk with a group golf getaway to Hilton Head Island. The weather has never been better with 70-degree sunny days and our courses are newly aerified and in great shape.
Palmetto Dunes offers a number of ways you and your buddies can join us for a Hilton Head golf trip to play all three of our varied Hilton Head golf courses, each of which has been named a South Carolina golf course of the year.
With our Ryder Cup group golf package for groups of 12 or more, you can join in the same competitive spirit of this popular world golf event with your friends. It includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, team shirts, breakfast, free range balls and yardage books, discounts at our Hilton Head golf pro shops and resort restaurants. Beginning October 15, 2014, rates start as low as $529/person for the package!
Another option is our Stay & Play Group Golf Package for groups of 12 or more, which provides you with three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf and the standard resort discounts and priority access that you receive when booking through Palmetto Dunes. Rates for this package starting October 15 are just $479/person.
Just think, for roughly $500, you could have a much needed getaway and time on the green… You just need to find 11 other friends who feel the same way!
For more information about any of our group golf vacations, give us a call directly at 866-650-4130. As soon as you reserve your group, you can start dreaming of your time on Hilton Head Island!
Named the best golf course in South Carolina for 2014, the George Fazio golf course is the only public Par-70 course on Hilton Head Island. With tree-lined fairways on the front nine and tighter shots requiring strategic positioning on the back nine, the Fazio course can be both a challenge and delight!
The final four holes of Fazio are especially tough, including three well-bunkered par 4s and the par-3 17th over water, which is our featured hole.
Described as “one of the finest par 3 holes on Hilton Head Island,” the 17th hole plays over water and has out of bounds creeping in from the left. If your shot is short, it will land in the water, so consider the wind. The only smart play on this hole is to the middle of the green.
Our advice: If you’re lucky enough to find the putting surface, take your two putts and move on.
The hole plays 230 yards from the gold tee and 122 yards from the green tee.
To watch a flyover of this hole so you can strategize before your tee time, visit the George Fazio course on www.palmettodunes.com and click on hole 17.
How have you done on the Fazio 17? Share your stories and your scores!
Book a tee time for the Fazio course and if you book online in advance, you can save up to 30%!
Three-Ball. Hat Trick. Trifecta. No matter what you call it — if it happens in sports, three of almost anything is reason to celebrate.
We’re excited to share with you that we’ve experienced our own three-peat after the S.C. Board of Directors of the National Golf Course Owners Association (NGCOA) named our George Fazio golf course the 2014 South Carolina Golf Course of the Year. It’s the third and final of our three Hilton Head golf courses to receive this prestigious designation.
In 2003, the Robert Trent Jones oceanfront course was named South Carolina Golf Course of the Year, while the Arthur Hills golf course received the honor in 2009. All three have also been rated four stars or more by Fodor’s Golf Digest Places to Play.
“The award-winning George Fazio course embodies the values we cherish at Palmetto Dunes – offering year-round championship golf in the heart of the South Carolina Lowcountry,” says Brad Marra, vice president of resort operations for Palmetto Dunes. “Many golfers regard it as the island’s most challenging championship course.”
The Fazio golf course demands a combination of long play and precise golf shots. From the 432-yard 1st hole to the 462-yard 18th hole, the Fazio course is the only par-70 golf course on Hilton Head Island. Its long par-4s are beset with bunkers and water hazards. The Fazio course plays 6,239 yards from the middle white tees.
In October, the Fazio Course will be in the running for National Golf Course of the Year.
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips onbeachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.