The weather is warm and sunny here on Hilton Head Island, and our tennis courts are filling up! If you’re looking for the latest fashions to make sure you shine on and off the court, we’ve got them at our 1800 square foot Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center pro shop. Inside, you’ll find all things tennis, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses and adult and junior apparel. Plus, through the end of April, we’re holding our spring clearance sale with discounts up to 50% off. Here are some of our favorite spring tennis arrivals that will have you looking sharp and at the top of your game:
Tail Activewear has two women’s lines that are just in, one appropriately called “Palmetto Dunes” (we can’t help but love that one!) and one named “Desert Springs.” The Desert Springs line brings to mind desert hues with a pink/purple shade, along with black and white, while the Palmetto Dunes line uses more of a peach hue paired with black and white. Both are available in tops, skirts and dresses. Tail garments are designed to perform well by managing moisture, providing wind and rain protection and minimizing friction and fabric creep.
The new Lucky in Love women’s “Hit the Ice” group is a fun collection of prints and colors, featuring tennis images, mesh overlays and scalloped skorts in shades of slate blue, peach and white.
Suffice it to say that color is in this year on the tennis court! Bolle has two colorful lines of tennis wear for women – Mai Tai and Curacao. The Mai Tai line is punctuated by a bright pink, along with gray and white, while the Curacao group is a bright blue paired with white.
You’ll want to be sure your shoes look as snazzy as your outfit, so consider our new colorful Asics. They come in a rainbow of colors like purple, pink, red and blue.
The men’s Center Court Collection from Fila is also in store with tops, shorts and jackets in bright shades of blazing yellow complemented by black. The Nike’s men’s line for spring features a new shade of lime green and a denim blue. We also have the classic apparel line in blue, black and white, as well as the popular Rafa and Federer hats. We love their plaid shorts, as well!
What’s on your tennis fashion list this spring? Let us help you pick the perfect outfit at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center pro shop!
Don’t miss our upcoming Smash 1D Team Tennis Challenge May 9-11 for men’s and women’s singles, doubles and combo mixed. Sign up to play here. Be sure to check out our tennis vacation packages, as well, designed for the tennis lover and featuring the best activities our resort has to offer, like biking, kayaking, tennis clinics and more.
If you’re a fan of Palmetto Dunes and are looking for more ways to show your love, we’ve got the perfect solution! We just opened a brand new online apparel store offering custom Palmetto Dunes logo wear.
When you visit the new online apparel store, you can choose from a selection of luxury items for both men and women. Clothing items include Supima cotton polos; Ecotec performance shirts, fleece jackets, woven button-up shirts, T-shirts, shorts, jackets, windshirts, robes and more. You can also choose from a selection of hats and visors.
Once you select your apparel items, select which logo you prefer along with the size and color. Before you know it, your new gear will be on its way to you! Of course, if you’re planning to visit us, be sure to shop all of our retail outlets, including our tennis center pro shop, golf pro shops, General Store, Shelter Cove Marina Ship’s Store and Hilton Head Outfitters for even more logoed gear and accessories.
With spring in the air, now’s the time to load up on spring fashions and wear Palmetto Dunes gear all summer long. When you visit our online store and purchase at least $100 worth of items, for a limited time you’ll receive free shipping when you use code FREEHOME14.
We’d love to see what you purchase and how it looks on you. Please share your apparel photos with us on Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter, so we can show you some love back!
When playing a doubles opponent who often lobs the ball, it can be frustrating due to minimal offensive threats and impatience might cause unforced errors. Many times the losing team does not have a good enough offense to overcome the defensive “lobbers.”
There are some tactics to try if you run up against these types of teams. When you get an overhead, don’t try to pound it through them. Attempt softer, shorter angles to move them out of position and force them react to the different pace of the ball. Make sure you are playing overheads when balls are high and volleys if they are low. Too many teams attempt overheads when the ball is not high and they should be playing a volley, which is more accurate.
Not every overhead is meant to be a put away. Mix in a variety of angles and spin. Missed overheads are the number one reason people lose to teams that lob well. Use a drop shot to return a serve or on shorter shots. Hitting deep, powerful shots feeds the frenzy of more lobs. When you do get a volley, try to use more drop or touch around the net, when possible. Hard, firm volleys invite a better lob.
Whenever possible, play to the weaker player or lobber which will frustrate the stronger team member. Try playing your team’s best overhead player, if right-handed, in the ad court or, if lefty, in the deuce court. Anything up the middle will play into that player’s smash return.
>When serving, move your partner further from the net to take away the lob return. Lobbing teams love to do so off the serve. You may choose to play a designed poach off the serve so the server is already covering for their partner, if the return of serve lob is causing problems.
Lastly, don’t take it for granted you are a superior team. These teams are tough to beat. Don’t put too much pressure on yourselves to end points quickly.
TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinics weekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
Already an owner at Palmetto Dunes or considering a primary or second home at our beautiful Hilton Head resort? Then, come enjoy our annual celebration of homeownership by celebrating the very best of the resort: the ocean, golf, tennis, biking and more. We invite you to the Owner/Guest Tournament Weekend Feb. 7-9.
What’s on tap for this weekend of fun? On Friday, enjoy tee times at all three of our championship South Carolina golf courses throughout the day. Each course offers a different playing experience and beautiful views to boot. Dunes Marketing Group will also host a tour of open houses of Hilton Head properties for sale within the resort. Be prepared, you just might fall in love!
A tennis round robin will take place from 3-5 p.m. at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which has earned us the designation of top tennis resort in the Carolinas from Tennis Magazine, and then attend a complimentary reception and dinner with cash bar at Centre Court Pavilion.
On Saturday, we’ll host a special golf tournament for our owners and guests at the famed oceanfront Robert Trent Jones golf course. There will be a shotgun start at 9 a.m. with scramble format with tee gifts before and prizes afterward. After the tournament, enjoy a BBQ lunch buffet at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Jones Clubhouse and then head out on Dunes Marketing Group’s complimentary open house tour from 3-5 p.m.
On Sunday, enjoy your favorite activities. If you love tennis, head over for some time on one of our 25 Hilton Head tennis courts or, if you’re a golfer, enjoy one more Hilton Head tee time. Guests can also feel free to bike around the resort, enjoy local shopping, kayak or canoe our 11-mile inland lagoon or enjoy a dolphin cruise or fishing charter. We’re never short of something to do here at Palmetto Dunes!
Be sure to RSVP for this amazing offering by Feb. 1. Contact Ross Javornik at 843-686-9624 or by email at rjavornik@PalmettoDunes.com.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, it’s just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home – Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities – Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by booking Hilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
It’s been a good year for this South Carolina beach resort! Palmetto Dunes not only received a number of high profile honors and accolades recognizing everything from our championship Hilton Head golf courses and tennis facilities to our family friendliness and outstanding staff, but we also started several new events that were a great success.
Here’s a quick look back at our star-studded 2013:
The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center was honored to host a number of high-profile state championships for the United States Tennis Association (USTA). In May, seniors from across South Carolina headed to Hilton Head to take home top honors in the USTA South Carolina 40 & Over Championships, formerly known as the Senior Championships. Then in October, we hosted the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult Championships. Our very own Jackie Reynecke, who helped coordinate these events, was also named the South Carolina League Volunteer of the Year for the USTA.
The Tennis Center was featured in the July issue of Tennis Magazine in a large spread about the resort and was recognized again by TennisResortsOnline.com as the No. 9 Top Tennis Resort in the world and No. 4 Top Junior Tennis programs in the world. Plus, the users of TripAdvisor named the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 attraction in Hilton Head.
Our golf courses are always wonderful to play with their varied attributes and amazing layouts, but they were especially regarded this year. The Arthur Hills golf course got a shout-out from Golf Digest magazine as a top Hilton Head course, in an article that also designated the island as a Best Buddies Trip Destination. PGA.com selected the famous oceanfront No. 10 hole at the Robert Trent Jones golf course a “South Carolina dream hole” and we couldn’t agree more!
We also launched a brand new golf app for the iPhone and Android, which now has thousands of users. Using your phone, you can check yardage information, book your tee time, set up leader boards and order food at our golf grilles so it’s hot and ready when you finish your round. Download it by searching for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on your favorite app store.
New Events at Shelter Cove Harbour
Several events made their debut at Shelter Cove Harbour this year to great acclaim. Taste on the Harbour kicked off in March. Due to the event’s success, we hosted the event again in October, offering featured menus, drink specials and tastings from Shelter Cove Harbour restaurants on select nights combined with live music from local island bands.
Additionally, Parrot Palooza joined our already very popular HarbourFest summertime event, which celebrated 25 years. Shannon Tanner and the Oyster Reefers, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band, entertained attendees on Friday evenings with island style music as they danced and sang the night away while the sun set over Broad Creek.
The finish off the year with a bang, Travel + Leisure magazine named Palmetto Dunes to its Top 25 World’s Best Family Getaways in its November issue. This made our resort the highest-ranking in South Carolina. The awards are based on a survey of the magazine’s readers. “Whether it’s reeling in a trophy redfish, learning how to properly swing a golf club or riding the waves on a surfboard, Palmetto Dunes has so much to offer families year round,” said Brad Marra, assistant vice president of resort operations for Palmetto Dunes.
What’s coming next year? More good things! Palmetto Dunes will be launching a brand new device-responsive website, using the latest online booking technology and designed for ease of use by our wonderful guests. For golfers, the Jones course will be adding new GPS-enabled touch screen systems for all golf carts, which offers course fly-overs, yardage, hole information and more. There’s so much more in store… you’ll just have to come visit us to see it all!
For more information about vacationing at Palmetto Dunes, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-744-7558 to get started booking your spring or summer Hilton Head getaway.
Let us help you with your holiday gift list this year with unique items from stores around Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Whether you’ve got a golfer, a tennis player, an outdoorsman or an ocean-lover on your holiday list, we’ve got the gift for them! Here are some of our top gift picks for 2013:
Golf Pro Shops
The golfer on your list will love this item from our Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop! The new Garmin Approach S4 GPS golf watch ($349.99) is the perfect idea for the golfer who has everything. This stylish, yet lightweight and comfortable watch uses hi-res touch screen technology and comes with a GPS receiver for precise yardage to the front, middle and back of the greens, plus layup and dogleg distances. There’s even a smart notification feature that lets you receive emails, texts and alerts from your iPhone (iPhone 4s and above models). The battery lasts up to 10 hours in GPS golf mode. Now, that’s a watch!
Be sure to use it while playing one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses: the Robert Trent Jones golf course, the Arthur Hills golf course or the George Fazio golf course.
Tennis Pro Shop
At the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center pro shop, we can’t resist the cute Spin Winz! It’s a plastic circle that attaches to the end of your racquet to help decide who serves first when the racquet is spun. Instead of the boring “M or W” or “P or D,” your options include “Trophy or Wife,” “Social or Butterfly” and “Diamonds or Pearls” as examples.
For men, we have a variety of logo shirts, great deals on Prince tennis racquets and shoes from Asics, Adidas and K-Swiss. For women, we have Life is Tennis bags in both Tote and Sling styles in a variety of colorful patterns, and LBH tops in sleeveless and long sleeve in a rainbow of colors.
Hilton Head Outfitters
Grab a new Hilton Head hoodie or Hilton Head Outfitters long-sleeve T. These are great for cooler days and to remind you of your last vacation or upcoming vacation to the island. They are available in a variety of colors, including green, pink and blue.
The Ship’s Store at Shelter Cove Marina
Wouldn’t your loved one look great in a new pair of Costas? Or how about a new pair of Sperry Topsiders? The Ship’s Store offers a broad selection of Costa del Mar sunglasses, and when you buy any pair you get a $20 resort gift card (consider that a gift to youself!). The Ship’s Store has the largest selection of Sperry Topsider shoes on the island with more than 50 styles to choose from. They also carry Guy Harvey shirts, Sanuk sandals, Columbia Sportswear and Tervis tumblers.
The Palmetto Dunes General Store
While it would be nice if you could send your loved one a batch of cinnamon rolls freshly baked from the store, that may not be practical J. Instead choose from the General Store’s selection of coffee mugs, long sleeve T-shirts and sweatshirts. They also have some cute beach-themed ornaments, including Santa Claus with an alligator, a sea turtle and by a palm tree, as well as dolphins, sailboats and more.
Palmetto Dunes Gift Card
Not sure what to get the Hilton Head Island fans in your life? No worries! Just get them a Palmetto Dunes gift card redeemable at point of sale locations around the resort. These include Hilton Head accommodations, golf rounds and lessons, tennis court time and lessons, golf and tennis pro shops, Hilton Head Outfitters, the Ship’s Store at Shelter Cove Marina, Big Jim’s restaurant, the golf grilles and the Dunes House. The cards are now available with free shipping and overnight options … just in case you wait till the last minute.
Come visit our Hilton Head stores this holiday season and choose the perfect gift for the people on your list. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 if you’d like us to ship an item to you. Happy shopping!
Sure, a week is a great vacation to Hilton Head but a month is even better. Not that you needed any more reasons to visit us, but we’ve listed 5 of our top reasons to extend your stay at Palmetto Dunes to at least a month:
1) Play unlimited golf! What’s better than a round of golf? Unlimited rounds of golf! With our Monthly Golf Membership, you can play all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses as much as you want for an entire month. Choose between our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course, the Arthur Hills course or the George Fazio course.
2) Ride your bike on all 50 miles of paved island paths. Did you know you could pedal 50 miles across our island? Spend more than a week and see if you can master it all! With monthly Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, you’ll be set with any kind of bike you like, including their new comfort bike, cruisers, kids bikes and more.
3) Get to “love” tennis, if you don’t already. When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The longer you stay, the more tennis you can play!
4) Kayak to your heart’s content! Palmetto Dunes is home to a beautiful and peaceful 11-mile saltwater inland lagoon system that winds throughout the resort and our golf courses. Get weekly kayak or canoe rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters to enjoy the peaceful beauty of the lagoon, or if you plan to stay several months, consider the affordable yearly membership. See how many birds you can spot in the lagoon during your stay and watch for other wildlife, as well, like a friendly otter who likes to splash around our lagoon.
5) Try lots of Hilton Head restaurants. Here on the island we offer wonderful dining from ethic foods to fresh seafood to gourmet meals with beautiful views. Some suggestions include Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones Clubhouse, the beachfront Dunes House (open seasonally to resort guests and property owners), Ela’s Blu Water Grille with harbour views at Shelter Cove Harbour and San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, also at Shelter Cove.
If you want to do ALL these things on your visit to Palmetto Dunes, consider our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership. It gets you a 30-night stay in a Hilton Head resort villa, 30 days of unlimited golf and bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time daily, plus plenty of time to walk on the beach.
For more information about any of these memberships or packages, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
League volunteer, Jackie Reynecke of Hilton Head Island, has been a local league coordinator for more than seven years. She also volunteers while serving as president of the Tennis Association of Hilton Head Island.
“We are so fortunate to have such people and organizations dedicated to promoting and developing tennis,” said Graham Cox, executive director of the USTA South Carolina. "Their accomplishments proudly contribute to our tennis history, yet their true achievement can be seen through the people and communities impacted by their passion and service."
The awards will be handed out at the USTA SC’s Awards Luncheon, held this year on December 7 during the organization’s annual conference at the Wild Dunes Resort at the Isle of Palms.
Jackie’s full-time job as Tournament Director at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has been hugely beneficial to help bring recognition to the tennis center and sought-after tournaments to the Hilton Head resort. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center is ranked “#1 tennis resort in the Carolinas” by Tennis Magazine and “#5 in the world overall” by Tennis Resorts Online. Locally, the tennis center was named “2013 Best Racquet Club” by the Island Packet.
USTA Website: http://www.southcarolina.usta.com/Universal_Pages/league_volunteer_of_the_year/
Palmetto Dunes Resort's award-winning tennis center hosted the Banana Open Tennis Tournament this past weekend (October 4 - 6, 2013) opening it's doors to two-hundred forty-three players starting play on Friday morning.
"One of the most popular tournaments at Palmetto Dunes during the year, this year was especially great!" says Jackie Reynecke, tournament director.
View a full list of the results from this tournament here.
Learn more about this tournament and hear from the players in the The Island Packet: Championships dished out at Banana Open tennis finals
Want to play in an upcoming tournament? View the full tennis tournament schedule here. The next tournament coming up is the 19th Annual Wild Wing Café "Nutty Buddy" Tennis Classic, November 1-3, 2013. See you there!
Lots of things heat up in the fall here in Hilton Head, like fishing, golf and also tennis! We host five Hilton Head tennis tournaments in October and November alone at our nationally-lauded Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, featured this summer in “Tennis Magazine” and named the No. 1 Tennis Resort in the Carolinas. Join us as a spectator or a participant this fall for some great tennis court action.
Kicking off the season is the 29th annual Palmetto Dunes Resort Banana Open Challenge October 4-6 for singles, doubles and mixed doubles. Play on our clay courts and enjoy a Saturday night player party with dinner, a cash bar and door prizes, as well as a player gift and continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Sign up to play.
The next two tennis tournaments are open to spectators only. They are USTA championship tournaments. October 11-13 will be the On-Campus Fall Invitational and October 17-21 will play host to the South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championships. Come to Hilton Head Island and cheer on your favorite player!
Beginning November is the 19th Annual Wild Wing Café “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Class November 1-3 for mixed doubles and men’s/women’s doubles. Then, finishing off a great year of tennis will be the David M. Carmines Memorial Tennis Championship, benefiting the David M. Carmines Foundation, which provides funds to a variety of nonprofits in the area. Download your entry form.
Take a look at our complete tennis tournament schedule.
Do you love playing tennis in the fall? Visit the island for all of these great tournaments, enjoy special sales at our Hilton Head tennis pro shop during each tournament and take advantage of our many Hilton Head tennis packages. They include the Tennis Stay & Play Package, the Extreme Tennis Vacation and others. Plus, everyone gets two free hours of tennis daily for each night of accommodations you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Call us at 866-744-7558 to book your autumn getaway.
See you on the courts this fall!
Many school systems around the country have switched to year round school, which often results in a longer fall break for kids, sometimes up to two weeks. But whether you have two weeks, one week or just a long weekend for fall break, spending it in Hilton Head is a good choice!
The weather is ideal with high temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and sports fans will love our choice of outdoor activities. Plus, if a certain someone in your family just can’t miss their favorite team’s football game, we’ve got plenty of places for that, too!
The Sun ‘N Fun Island Escape and the Ultimate Family Package are perfect for families looking for an adventurous beach getaway. The packages start with a minimum three nights of accommodations and include bike rentals, kayak rentals, spa services, golf and more starting at $59 per person per night.
Adventure-seekers will love our Outdoor Adventure Package that lets you kayak, bike, play tennis and enjoy a dolphin cruise. It includes three nights of accommodations, a two-hour kayak rental through our 11-mile inland lagoon system, three days of bike rentals to explore Hilton Head’s 50 miles of paved bike trails, a cruise from Shelter Cove Marina to see Hilton Head’s friendliest mammal, the dolphin, and two hours of tennis court time daily.
Fishing in the resort’s 11-mile lagoon heats up in autumn when the red fish start to spawn. The resort has stocked the lagoon with more than 6000 red fish, and there’s even a 60-plus pound red fish that has been nicknamed “Elvis”. See if you can catch him! Fishing is catch-and-release, and fishing charters are available through Hilton Head Outfitters.
Golfers can hit the greens on one of three award-winning Hilton Head golf courses at the resort, all recently aerified and looking great. We also offer fall golf packages that combine private instruction, tee times and accommodations, such as the Golf Stay & Play Package. The Group Golf Getaway is ideal for friends and family of 12 or more and includes three nights of accommodations, three rounds of golf, as well as discounts on all resort activities and pro shop purchases.
The fall schedule is filled with plenty of tennis action at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, named the Top Tennis Resort in the Carolinas by Tennis Magazine. The Banana Open Challenge October 4-6, the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational October 11-13, the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championship October 17-21, and the Annual Wild Wing Café Nutty Buddy Tennis Classic November 1-3 offer plenty of chances to be a spectator or to play in these tennis tournaments.
And where can your family member go to catch some football action? Hilton Head Island has plenty of sports bars, and right here within the resort, Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant located on the Jones golf course offers plenty of big screen TVs, so they won’t have to miss a single pass.
We hope to see you in Hilton Head this fall! Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your fall vacation to Hilton Head Island today.
There are just certain things you MUST do on any vacation and of course, here on Hilton Head Island, we think there are a few items that should be on every visitor’s bucket list. Here is the Palmetto Dunes’ Hilton Head Bucket List for every island vacationer:
1) Get your picture taken at King Neptune Statue at Shelter Cove Harbour – This iconic statue at Shelter Cove Harbour, just across from the resort, is actually a sundial. But a pic with this guy is a favorite of vacationers, so add it to your list and post it on Facebook (while you’re there, post it on our Facebook, too)!
2) Eat at the Dunes House – Open only to resort guests and property owners, the Dunes House is a perk you can’t pass up. It’s a restaurant and bar situated right on the beach with delicious fish tacos and yummy frozen cocktails.
3) Catch a fish – Head out in our 11-mile inland lagoon with Captain Trent and see if you can catch a “big red” (reddrum or red fish). Kids, try for a flounder!
4) Get a beanie hat and have it signed by Shannon Tanner – If you visit during the summer, head over to HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour Monday-Thursday at 6:30 or 8 p.m. and catch the famous family performer Shannon Tanner. You must hear him sing “Your Hair Had a Party Last Night” and then you have to get your very own beanie hat (like his) and have him sign it with an inspirational message.
5) Eat the cinnamon rolls at the General Store – There’s no better way to start your morning in Hilton Head than with these sweet pastries from the Palmetto Dunes General Store. Ride your bike over and eat up! Just get plenty of napkins…
6) Try stand up paddleboarding – This is one of our most popular water sports that we offer at Hilton Head Outfitters, located inside the resort. Get lessons from our paddleboard instructor or let him take you out on a group tour of our lagoon. You’ll work your abs, burn lots of calories and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.
7) Spot a dolphin – Keep your eye out when at the beach for our favorite friendly mammals. You’ll likely see their fins pop up out of the water. They also often swim up into inlets and tidal creeks, which may be a quieter place to find them during the busier months.
8) Try for a hole in one – Head to one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and see if you can hit a hole in one. You may improve your odds with a golf lesson from our super fun director of golf instruction Doug Weaver.
9) Try your hand at tennis – All guests of the resort enjoy two hours of free tennis court time daily with each night’s accommodation, so there’s no reason not to see if you and tennis are a “match.” We also offer tennis clinics and lessons every day, along with private instruction.
10) Take a nighttime beach walk – Grab a flashlight and take a moonlit beach walk. You’ll enjoy seeing another side of Hilton Head by night. Just keep watch for sea turtle nests, mamas or babies and stay out of their way. Light can disorient them so keep flashlights off if you spot them.
What’s on your Hilton Head bucket list? What did we miss? For more information about tennis, golf, accommodations or other activities, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Tennis lovers, we’ve got the place for you to have a wonderful beach vacation and get plenty of tennis time, too. Recently featured in the July/August issue of Tennis Magazine, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has plenty of activities to fill your week with as much tennis as you want.
Here’s a sampling of what a week-long vacation could be a tennis aficionado:
Arrive Saturday evening, enjoy dinner at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza at the Robert Trent Jones golf course and head to bed to get an early start on your Sunday.
Head over to one of our 26 tennis courts to enjoy your 2 hours of complimentary tennis court time that comes with every booked accommodation at Palmetto Dunes.
Take in a round of golf at one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses to add a little variety to your Hilton Head tennis vacation.
Try our Daily Drill Clinic focused on the stroke of the day. 10-11 a.m.
Enjoy our weekly Happy Hour at 5:30 p.m. to mix and mingle with other guests here for the week, enjoy cocktails and meet our tennis pros who will perform an exhibition match on center court.
Enjoy lunch at the beachfront Dunes House, open to resort guests. Try a fish taco or Caesar salad with a margarita!
Head over to the Tennis Center for Demo Days to try the latest in racquet technology and see how a new racquet could help your game. 2 p.m.
Give Cardio Tennis a try. Play tennis to music and burns lots of calories. 8-9 a.m.
Join in our daily Tennis Round Robin from 3-4 p.m. Be sure to call and reserve your spot, as we require at least 3 players to hold the event.
Now that you’ve had a couple days of clinics under your belt, try our Competitive Edge Drills for immediate to advanced players. These morning sessions are exhilarating fast-paced practice with a purpose. 11-12:30 p.m.
Take part in our Serve Clinic today, which emphasizes stroke production of the serve, spin, placement and power. 3:30-4:40 p.m.
Scheduled a ½ hour or one hour private or semi-private lesson with one of our tennis pros for a session tailored to your skills.
Our Return of Serve Clinic uses a serving machine to help you practice your return of serve. 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Stop by our 1800-square-foot tennis pro shop and pick up some tennis souvenirs from your Hilton Head vacation.
Book your tennis vacation at Palmetto Dunes for next year and head home safely!
For a complete list of summer tennis clinics, lessons and other activities, view our Tennis Schedule.
What would the ideal tennis vacation look like to you? We offer a variety of tennis packages that combine accommodations with clinics and lessons to give you the best deal on your beach vacation. Take a look at our Tennis Stay & Play Package or our Extreme Tennis Vacation or give us a call at 866-744-7558 for a customized package for your group.
With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year, it’s certain that tennis is near and dear to our hearts here at our South Carolina resort. Once again, our wonderful tennis guests have ranked us as tops when it comes to tennis resorts not just around the country but across the world.
TennisResortsOnline.com, a website which annually compiles guest rankings of tennis resorts, just released their Top 100 Tennis Resorts and Camps for 2013. Tennis vacationers are asked to score the resorts on amenities and services – both on court and off – quality of lodging, restaurants, children’s experiences and value. To qualify, each resort must have a minimum 25 reviews to be considered for the Top 10 and must have a minimum 6 tennis courts (we have 25).
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort came in at No. 9 in the rankings’ Top 25 resorts, putting us into the Gold Medal Category. Additionally, we were ranked at No. 4 for the Best Junior Tennis programs. Tennis Magazine has also ranked Palmetto Dunes the No. 1 tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the top 10 in the nation.
At Palmetto Dunes, we love tennis players! We offer all sorts of activities, tennis instructional programs and tournaments to keep you coming back. During the spring and summer season, we offer weekly Demo Days for trying new tennis equipment, as well as a weekly exhibition and Happy Hour to hang out with the staff, watch them play and enjoy drinks and hors d’oeuvres. We also have a popular daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition among guests.
If you’re looking to better your tennis game, we host 43 adult tennis clinics every week and 27 junior clinics March-August and during holidays. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming each day from our regular schedule. “This offers a lot of flexibility for people depending on their schedule – they can play as much or as little as they want,” says John Kerr, director of tennis for Palmetto Dunes. “For example, they can do our morning clinics from 8-12:30 p.m. and then come back in the afternoon for the daily round robin.”
If you want to combine tennis with your Hilton Head vacation, we offer packages specifically geared toward tennis players, including the Extreme Tennis Vacation with 7 nights of accommodations for four, three 1-hour private lessons and two clinics per player, daily court time and more. Another popular choice is the Tennis Stay & Play package with 3 nights of accommodations, two 1-hour clinics, two hours of court time daily and three-day bike rentals.
You can also make a tennis vacation out of our nine different tennis tournaments each year, including 3 USTA state championships. Many people plan their vacations around these events, many of which are linked to charity and most are open to the public and are non-USTA sanctioned.
Come see for yourself why Palmetto Dunes is one of the Top 10 Tennis Resorts in the world! Want a quote on a tennis vacation? Request it here or call us at 866-744-7558.
When March rolls around on Hilton Head Island, our minds start to wander toward tennis. Imagine mild days of sunshine spent on the courts, perfecting our skills and playing with friends. Spring is the beginning of Hilton Head tennis in all its glory and the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center revs up with tournaments, happy hours, weekly demonstration days, daily round robins and more.
March through October the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center gets into full “swing”! We offer a full plate of Hilton Head tennis lessons and clinics that give you plenty of flexibility to do as much or as little as you want. For example, you might want to fill your morning with instruction, but head to the courts – or the beach – in the afternoon.
Some of the drills and clinics on our schedule include our Return of Serve & Regular Serve clinics which work on two of the most important strokes in tennis that are the least practiced, our Stroke of the Day which focuses on a new stroke daily, our daily drill for beginner to intermediate players, and our Cardio Tennis class. Of course, we are also able to provide private and semi-private tennis lessons for one-on-one or small group instruction.
We also offer a full schedule of Junior Tennis Programs March through Labor Day and on holidays. Classes include Short Shots Clinic, Stroke of the Day, and a Junior Tennis Camp. View the complete Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center Programs Schedule for Spring 2013.
This time of year we introduce some fun, free weekly events for guests to socialize while enjoying tennis. On Monday nights at 5:30 p.m., we host our welcome exhibition and happy hour with complimentary beer, wine and lemonade, as well as door prizes. On Tuesdays at 2 p.m. we host a weekly Demonstration Day where players can see and try out the latest tennis equipment and have the opportunity to match a racquet to their playing style. Also during March through October, we have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition.
We also host a variety of tennis tournaments from February through October, including the popular Banana Open Challenge, where individuals qualify by participating in a variety of regional tournaments, as well as several USTA South Carolina state championships. View the full Hilton Head tennis tournament schedule.
Here are a few other things you might not know about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
Are you ready to come play tennis at Palmetto Dunes this spring? Call us at 866-744-7558 to get closer to playing Hilton Head tennis today!
We know Palmetto Dunes is the best place for tennis in not just Hilton Head but in South Carolina, and even according to Tennis Magazine, the best place in both Carolinas! The United States Tennis Association agreed and has awarded us two of the South Carolina state tennis championships for 2013 in addition to the USTA On-Campus Fall Invitational.
First up will be the USTA South Carolina 40 and Over Championships, formerly known as the Senior Championships, May 18-20. Then, later in the year, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center will also host the USTA Tennis On-Campus Fall Invitational Oct. 11-13 and the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult Championships Oct. 17-21, which is the largest state championship in South Carolina. The Combo tournament was previously held in Charleston at the Family Circle Cup on Daniel Island. All of these tournaments are open to spectators only. Check out our complete Tennis Tournament Schedule for all events and dates.
Palmetto Dunes is unique among tennis facilities in Hilton Head in the number of clay courts available, allowing the entire championship to be played on clay courts. Another benefit of Palmetto Dunes is its mid-island location on Hilton Head, which is close to other tennis sites and activities.
The resort is also not short of awards for its tennis facilities. Tennis Magazine ranked Palmetto Dunes as the No. 1 tennis resort in the Carolinas for 2012 and as one of the top 50 tennis resorts in the nation. Additionally, the South Carolina tennis resort regularly enjoys top recognition from TennisResortsOnline.com, where guests rank tennis facilities. We were chosen No. 2 in the world for instruction and events, No. 3 in the world for junior programs and No. 5 in the world overall.
Hosting the tournaments is a success for Palmetto Dunes, as they will bring in hundreds of players from out of town who will stay and enjoy all the activities the resort has to offer. We hope to provide all the players and their fans with a wonderful Hilton Head tennis experience and continue to host the tournament in coming years.
If you’d like to come for any of the tennis tournaments, please take a look at our many Hilton Head tennis packages. They include the Team Getaway Package, which offers 3 nights in a resort villa, 4 ½ hours of group instruction, 3-day bike rentals, 2 hours of free tennis daily and a tennis gift upon check in. You might also enjoy our Tennis Stay & Play package, which offers 3 nights in a resort villa, two 1-hour clinics, 3-day bike rentals and 2 hours of tennis court time daily. Or try our Extreme Tennis Vacation and extend your stay for a week. This package offers 7 nights in a resort villa, three 1-hour private tennis lessons, 2 tennis clinics per day/person, 7-day bike rentals and 2 hours of tennis court time daily.
To book your trip to Palmetto Dunes for the next Hilton Head tennis tournament, please call us at 866-744-7558.
It’s New Year’s so we’re guessing you’ve probably made a few new year’s resolutions for 2013. Health is always at the top of the resolution list so we wanted to encourage you to come on down to Hilton Head and get healthy with a beautiful view!
Here are 5 healthy activities you can do at Palmetto Dunes to support those new year’s resolutions so they don’t get left in the dust:
1) Walk the golf course – We offer three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, each unique and challenging in its own way. When you play one of our courses, instead of opting for the cart, why not walk the course? You’ll burn some extra calories, do your heart some good and more thoroughly enjoy your beautiful surroundings. It might even give you some more quality time with your golfing buddies!
2) Bike the resort – There are many paved paths throughout Palmetto Dunes, and the streets within the resort are also bike friendly. Everyone knows a good bike ride is a great workout, plus you’re more apt to forget you’re exercising as you take in the lovely views at every turn. Instead of driving to Shelter Cove Harbour to shop or dine, why not hop on a bike using our special passageway that lets you avoid crossing Highway 278? We offer Hilton Head bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters for everyone in the family.
3) Try a Zike Bike! Sure, biking is great on its own, but using this unique bike, you’ll get even more of a workout. The Zike Bike is designed as a cross between a bike and an elliptical machine. You use the elliptical movement to power the bike and work your body even harder. Visit Hilton Head Outfitters to try one or rent one on your Hilton Head vacation.
4) Fall in “love” with tennis – When you book a Hilton Head vacation home or Hilton Head vacation villa with Palmetto Dunes, you get two free hours of tennis daily. Be sure to take advantage of that court time to get in a great tennis workout. If you’d like a little more structure, head over to our Hilton Head tennis academy for a variety of lessons, clinics and even a Cardio Tennis class.
5) Paddleboard our lagoon – Pick a sunny winter afternoon and head out on our 11-mile inland lagoon to try the fastest growing watersport, paddleboarding. When paddleboarding, you stand on a board similar to a surf board and use a paddle to navigate your way through the lagoon. The balance and core work required is like no other! Expect washboard abs if you do this sport regularly :).
What’s your favorite way to be healthy at Palmetto Dunes? Please share with us your new year’s resolutions and we’ll suggest some ways we can support them here at the beach. If we can help you plan activities or a vacation to our beautiful resort, please give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy New Year’s!
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Finding the right holiday gift for every person in your life can be more than a little stressful! But when you come shopping in Hilton Head, you’re likely to find some unique gift items to both surprise and delight your family and friends. To help you with your holiday shopping, we’ve compiled some of our favorite gift ideas from around our famous South Carolina resort and neighboring Shelter Cove Harbour.
For the golfer:
For the tennis player:
For the outdoor enthusiast:
For an artistic or unique gift:
Here are more holiday deals at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and Shelter Cove Harbour. If you can’t make it in person to shop, feel free to give us a call at 866-744-7558 and we’ll be happy to ship.
How far along are you on your holiday gift list? Will any of these golf gifts, tennis gifts or other ideas make your list? Happy shopping!
It’s getting to be the time of year where the weather up north starts to get cold, with snow and chilling winds as the norm. But here in Hilton Head the weather is mild year round with the average high between 60 and 72 November through February. In fact, you can check our website home page any time of year for the current temperature and see our Hilton Head weather chart for average highs year round.
With sunny days so tempting, we have lots of folks who like to come spend a month or more with us in the winter, and to cater to these loyal guests, we offer a variety of fun options to keep them busy at our Hilton Head beach resort.
Our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership is great for active individuals who love to enjoy the great outdoors. It includes resort accommodations for 30 days in a Hilton Head vacation home or villa, unlimited golf on our three legendary Hilton Head golf courses and bike rentals throughout your stay, two two-hour kayak rentals to enjoy our calm 11-mile lagoon system, two hours of tennis court time daily and the best rates on all other activities at the resort. Plan to burn a few calories with this monthly sports membership!
Golf aficionados will love our Monthly Golf Membership that gives you a 30-day unlimited golf pass to our three championship courses. You also receive discounts at our Hilton Head golf pro shops, golf grills and range. Imagine how much your golf game will improve with so much practice!
If you’re a tennis player, you’ll be excited to know that with any stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed Hilton Head vacation villa or home, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily. So play your heart out!
Outdoor enthusiasts may enjoy a weekly – or even yearly -- kayak or canoe rental from Hilton Head Outfitters. Yearly members pay $199 for one person for unlimited use of the store’s standard kayaks and canoes in the Palmetto Dunes inland lagoon system, as well as receive half off for a second person and 10% off all other rental equipment. Monthly bike passes are also available for $59.99 for exploring the more than 50 miles of paved Hilton Head bike paths.
Which monthly sports membership is ideal for you? Call our vacation planners today to schedule your chance to get out of the cold and into the bright Hilton Head sun this winter!
It never fails. You think you’ve packed everything you need for a vacation, and then you realize you left your brand new golf glove on the kitchen counter or your new tennis attire in the dryer. Or perhaps you just “feel” like you need a little something new to up your game – and who doesn’t want to come home from their Hilton Head vacation with something to add to their wardrobe? Since any purchase doubles as a souvenir, stocking up at our Hilton Head pro shops is totally justifiable. In fact, it’s a win-win!
Our Hilton Head tennis pro shop and our Hilton Head golf pro shops offer all the essentials -- from the outfit to the equipment – as well as a few awesome extras. We’ve picked five great finds at our Pro Shops just in time for your fall or winter Hilton Head vacation and for the holidays.
In our golf pro shops:
1) GARMIN Approach S3 GPS Golf Watch -- The S3 is an innovative GPS golf watch preloaded with more than 27,500 courses domestically. It offers a high-resolution touch-screen display and shows the shape/layout of each green, allowing the user to select hole locations for precise distances. It also displays yardages to doglegs and lay-ups, and allows the user to calculate distances of an individual shot, not just distance to the hole.
2) 9 & Dine Ladies Apparel -- This collection does very well, and we’re currently stocking the new fall collection. It offers coordinating tops and skorts for a number of unique looks. 9 & Dine is designed for performance without sacrificing fit or style. In addition, every piece in the collection is made in the USA.
3) Titleist 913D2 & 913D3 Drivers -- Titleist begins shipping new drivers in November, just in time for you to use one on our three Hilton Head golf courses during your vacation! The new 913D2 is a 460cc driver with innovations to the face insert, rear weight and lower CG location that deliver the best combination of speed and forgiveness.
For tennis enthusiasts:
4) TASC Apparel -- Our Tennis Center pro shop recently added logo apparel from TASC, which many of you know stands for Technical All Season Comfort. The fabric used in this clothing line for men and women is light weight, has 4-way stretch, UPF 50+, anti-odor, breathable and moisture wicking.
5) LoveAll Shirts -- The shop also carries a new shirt line for women called LoveAll. These shirts are made for tennis lovers by tennis lovers. They infuse their products with the intimate knowledge of the game and the absolute obsession for the sport. LoveAll’s vision is to serve up sizzling merchandise that reflects your passion while remaining divinely comfortable and flattering. Serious and fun; just like you.
What sounds good to you? Any good ideas for holiday gift giving? If you don’t see what you need, head over to our Hilton Head pro shops or give us a call at (866) 744-7558 for some ideas and for shipping rates.
Remember when you were a kid and you stayed outside from sun up to sun down? Fall is the perfect time to do just that on Hilton Head. With milder temperatures and fewer crowds, fall is a fabulous time to enjoy all the outdoor fun that Hilton Head and Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort have to offer.
Love to be on the water? We have several options for you during your stay. Rent a kayak or canoe to explore Palmetto Dunes’ 11-mile lagoon system by your own power. Choose from single or double kayaks, and a one-, two- or three-person canoe rentals! We like that the canoes and kayaks (generally) have two speeds: paddle and drift. That makes them both a perfect mode of transportation for slowing down to really enjoy the Hilton Head wildlife and the fall weather.
Speaking of paddling, you can also rent a stand up paddleboard during your stay. This sport has quickly grown in popularity and when you’re out there balancing on the water, you’ll see why. It’s peaceful and a workout all at the same time.
Palmetto Dunes also offers several options for you to charter a boat at Shelter Cove Marina for deep-sea or inshore fishing excursions, as well as leisure cruises such as dolphin cruises, sunset cruises, dinner cruises and more.
For land-lubbers, Palmetto Dunes has plenty of activities to keep you outside until dark. We have three world-class golf courses and a top-ranked tennis center featuring 23 clay and two Nova ProBounce courts (six of which are lighted for night play). Don’t forget to check out all of the great Hilton Head vacation packages we offer for you and your group to stay and play golf, tennis and more at special rates this fall.
Like to bike? We have you covered. Simply make a reservation with Hilton Head Outfitters to have bikes delivered right to your hotel or Hilton Head vacation rental on the day you arrive. All you have to do is hop on and ride. Explore Hilton Head by bike in the cooler morning temps and meander the island’s more than 50 miles of public bike trails in the sunny but mild afternoons.
After you’ve enjoyed a day on the water, the courts or the greens, head on over to Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones course, the Dunes House open to resort guests and which boasts ocean views, or Shelter Cove, where you can enjoy waterfront dining -- and meander from shop to shop -- in the beautiful fall weather.
Need help planning your fall Hilton Head vacation or have questions about our outdoor activities? Contact a Vacation Planner for more information or call us at (866) 744-7558.
Fall on Hilton Head Island means fishing, festivals and outdoor fun and we’ve got plenty of each at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Here are our Top 10 Fall Activities in Hilton Head:
We think there’s no better time to play golf than in the fall. The weather is mild, the crowds are gone and you can enjoy the natural beauty of Hilton Head. Palmetto Dunes features three top-rated championship golf courses, even one with a haunted lighthouse, but more on that later! All of our world-class golf courses in Hilton Head are different and challenging in their own way. Let our vacation planners point you in the right direction between the George Fazio course, the Arthur Hills course and the Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront course. Or better yet, try all three and take advantage of our multi-round savings! Call them at (866) 744-7558.
Tennis in the fall at Palmetto Dunes brings you many options. We host five Hilton Head tennis tournaments in October and November, where you can participate or just watch. If you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes in one of our beautiful Hilton Head vacation homes or villas, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily. If you're working on polishing your court skills, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers a full schedule of lessons and clinics year-round. We also offer a happy hour and exhibition of our pros playing Mondays at 5:30 p.m. through October and Demo Days on Tuesdays at 2 p.m. through October where you can try out the latest in racquet technology. Come play for fun, take a lesson or play in a tourney at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center and see for yourself!
In the fall, the red fish are spawning and abundant all around Hilton Head. Palmetto Dunes can arrange for you to take a half or full-day fishing trip on the calm waters of our 11-mile inland lagoon system or in the open water, so you can catch one for yourself. Check out our fishing charters that leave from nearby Shelter Cove Marina for your chance to catch a Big Red and get a great picture to impress all your friends!
Bike rentals on Hilton Head is the perfect way to get a little exercise and see the beautiful island at your own pace. During fall, you can pedal for hours without breaking much of a sweat and enjoy the autumn beauty. Hilton Head Outfitters offers the largest fleet of bike rentals on the island, so there’s something for everyone in the family, including tag-a-longs, kiddie seats and more! They also have bike rentals suitable for almost every terrain on the island: beach, street or bike path.
Exploring Hilton Head Island by kayakis a calm, wonderful experience. There’s something about sliding through the water under your own power that’s exhilarating and rewarding. Listen to the birds, check out the fish and be sure to take along a waterproof camera so you can capture the amazing natural beauty of Hilton Head Island. Hilton Head Outfitters rents single and double kayaks year-round at a great value.
There’s plenty going on around Hilton Head in the fall. Hilton Head food festivals ramp up, featuring burgers, seafood and beer, and there are several fun runs that serve to support the local community (and work off a little of your burgers, seafood and beer!). Visit the Palmetto Dunes’ activities calendar or the Hilton Head Visitors and Convention Bureau’s Calendar of Events to find something that strikes your fancy.
7. Explore history
Hilton Head Island is named after Capt. William Hilton, who sailed from Barbados to explore lands granted by King Charles II. Those who settled on the island and surrounding areas were successful in growing cotton and indigo, and the region was a stronghold during the Civil War. In fact, Hilton Head’s “haunted” Leamington Lighthouse was not only used to guide ships passing in the night, but it was reportedly built by Union soldiers stationed there during the Civil War. The grounds of the lighthouse can be accessed by visitors and the lighthouse is visible from the 5th and 15th greens on the Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Dunes!
8. Stand Up Paddleboard
Maneuvering through the water on a stand up paddleboard takes some skill – and a lot of balance – but it’s a wonderful way to see the island and get up close and personal with nature. Hilton Head Outfitters can set you up with all the gear you’ll need to explore Palmetto Dunes’ 11-mile lagoon system. What will you see? The lagoon winds through three golf courses, neighborhoods and a hardwood maritime forest. You’ll want a waterproof camera for this adventure, too!
When you go birding on Hilton Head Island, you have the chance to watch both shorebirds and inland birds. Our golf courses at Palmetto Dunes are also members of the Audubon Bird Society. The island is made up of protected wetlands, woods and sandy beaches, providing a birder's paradise! The experts at Hilton Head Outfitters can point out the best spots for birding and provide all the equipment you’ll need for your adventure.
10. The Beach
What would a Hilton Head vacation be without a visit to the beach, which was recently ranked No. 2 in the nation by 10Best? Fall lets you escape the full heat of the sun (though remember to wear sunscreen, because the rays can still be harmful) and enjoy a sunrise, sunset or afternoon walk or run on the beach. Why not pack a picnic lunch and sit by the sea one afternoon or vow to wake up early to watch the sunrise over the water? It’s well worth the early wake-up call, we promise! Keep your eyes out for dolphins at play. One may surprise you with a big leap out of the water!
If you’ve planned to spend a week at Palmetto Dunes this fall, you might as well go ahead and expand it to an even 10 days, just to make sure you’ll be able to do everything on our top-10 list! What’s your favorite fall activity on Hilton Head? Did we miss any?
Fall at Palmetto Dunes means time for lots of tennis tournaments. Between October and November, our renowned Hilton Head tennis resort will host five tennis tournaments, giving you the opportunity to either watch players compete for the tournament title or play and compete for the title yourself!
And what better place to enjoy tennis whether playing or watching? Ranked the No. 1 Tennis Resort in the Carolinas and one of the top 10 in the nation by Tennis Magazine, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort offers a range of activities for tennis lovers outside the game, including golf, bike rentals, fishing, dining, kayaking and more.
The first Hilton Head tennis tournament, the 28th Annual Banana Open Challenge, is the perfect one to come down and watch. Held Oct. 5-7, this tournament is a continuation of the local Banana Series, so you must have played in one of the local events to participate. But don’t worry, watching the players is exciting in and of itself. And you may pick up a few pointers you can put to use in one (or all) of the remaining four open tournaments.
Two more tennis tourneys will be held in October, including:
The Smash T1D Team Tennis Challenge Oct. 12-14. This offers men’s and women’s singles, doubles and combo mixed matches. The tournament benefits the No More Diabetes Foundation.
The USTA Tennis On Campus Fall Invitational Oct. 19-21. This is a national kick-off event for the USTA Tennis On Campus program. Check our website for more information, as details are developing.
November is a hot month for tournaments including:
If you’re interested in playing in one of the above tournaments, please call us at (866) 744-7558 and we’ll get you set up.
Bonus: Palmetto Dunes runs special sales on its gear during tennis tournaments. For example, you can save up to 25% when you spend $150 or more on non-sale tennis merchandise (excluding certain items). Check out our website for more details on the sales.
If you visit the resort during October, take advantage of our weekly welcome exhibition and happy hour on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. to watch the pros play and enjoy a cocktail or two, as well as our Demo Days on Tuesdays at 2 p.m. where you can try out the latest in racquet technology.
We hope to see you on the courts (or in the stands) this fall!
When it comes to playing just about any sport, proper instruction and technique is the key to your ability to play well. Even better is proper instruction in a beautiful location! Award-winning Hilton Head tennis resort, Palmetto Dunes has you covered on both accounts.
Tennis magazine has consistently ranked Palmetto Dunes among the “50 Greatest U.S. Tennis Resorts” since 1975. It also named Palmetto Dunes the No. 1 tennis resort in the Carolinas for 2012 and one of the top 10 tennis resorts in the U.S. Tennis Resorts Online also ranked the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 5 Tennis Center in the World. Could there be a better place to play tennis?!
Whether you prefer private lessons or a group setting, the tennis pros at Palmetto Dunes’ Tennis Center can help. They offer Hilton Head tennis lessons that will help you establish the basic skills needed to play the game, as well as help you continue to develop your skills – all while enjoying a Hilton Head tennis vacation. And it doesn’t matter if you’re a junior or an adult; we have tennis lessons for ages 4 and older!
Private and semi-private lessons are ideal if you feel like you need personal attention. We have half-hour and full hour lessons available. Our rates are very reasonable, but you can save even more if you book five or more lessons at one time. Please call us at 866-744-7558 to schedule.
If you’d prefer to take group tennis lessons, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has several tennis clinics throughout the week including: Serve Clinic, Grand Slam Clinic, Competitive Doubles Clinic, Competitive Edge Drills, Return of Serve Clinic and more. Check our website for details and pricing. We even offer a Create Your Own Clinic, where you choose the time, the pro and what you focus on! Once you feel comfortable with your new skills, try them out in one of our Round Robin tournament competitions, which are held daily from 3-5 p.m.
Junior tennis players also can benefit from our clinics and camps. And, they too can play in the Junior Round Robin Tournaments and Junior Grand Slam Tournaments.
As a side note, Palmetto Dunes does require players wear regulation tennis shoes while on the court. Please review our tennis dress code. Don’t worry, if you’ve forgotten something at home or just want to take advantage of our amazing gear and great prices, just stop by our Tennis Center Pro Shop. It’s the largest on the island and it has everything you need.
In addition to instruction, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center also hosts eight tennis tournaments each year that stretch from February to November and appeal to a range of ages and skill levels. The facility is continually selected as the host facility of choice for a wide range of tennis tournaments and events. This October and November we have lots of tournaments coming up, including the Banana Open, USTA Tennis on Campus Fall Invitational and the “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Classic.
And if you’re looking to mix up your activities while on your Hilton Head tennis vacation, consider a round or two of golf at Palmetto Dunes’ three world-class South Carolina golf courses.
Don’t wait a minute longer to sign up for tennis lessons this fall. Tennis is a great sport that’s not only fantastic exercise, but also tons of fun and a chance to socialize with friends. Grab your racquet. It’s time to learn to play tennis in Hilton Head! Call us at (866) 744-7558 and book your court time today!
We see it each summer: Wimbledon inspires. Every year, as the famous tournament is played across the pond, we see enthusiasts of every level want to get out on the court and be Roger, be Serena.
Palmetto Dunes is not only one of the world’s finest family resorts, it’s also a top-ranked tennis resort, recently named the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the top 10 in the nation by Tennis Magazine. That means we have the courts, the racquets and the pros to help our guests find their inner Roger or Serena. Every week, we offer all sorts of clinics and programs to help you improve your skills.
Each Monday at 5:30 p.m., Palmetto Dunes hosts a Welcome Exhibition and Happy Hour. This event offers guests the chance to meet and greet one another over cocktails and watch Palmetto Dunes’ pros play on Centre Court. Cheers!
On Tuesdays at 2 p.m., guests can act like a kid in a candy store during Demo Day. This is a great way to try out the latest in racquet technology, and our pros are on hand to answer any questions you may have.
In addition to these fun complimentary activities, Palmetto Dunes offers tennis clinics for adults and juniors all summer long. Most adult clinics are offered daily and range from a Grand Slam Clinic where players work on stroke fundamentals, footwork and strategy, to Competitive Edge Drills for an exhilarating fast-paced practice session. In addition to the group sessions, Palmetto Dunes’ tennis pros offer private and semi-private sessions. Players also can partake in the Adult Round Robins daily from 3-5 p.m. ($20 p/p. Reservations required.)
Our junior tennis programs are not only fun, they offer the chance for kids to improve their motor skills, strokes, footwork and strategy. Our offerings include clinics, camps and even weekly Junior Round Robin Tournaments. Here is a complete list of tennis clinics and programs.
Palmetto Dunes has 23 clay and two hard courts, eight of which are lighted for night play. Our court fees are $30 per hour for Palmetto Dunes guests, $35 for non-resort guest and $20 for a walk-on first-come-first-serve basis between 12-4 p.m. And if you stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed villa or home during your Hilton Head vacation, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily!
We have the gear, the pros, the programs and of course, the courts. All we need is you! Come on, Roger and Serena. We’re waiting for you!
Before you head out to visit us this summer or fall, we want you to get to know our fantastic staff that you’ll be seeing around the resort. If you like to spend a good bit of your Hilton Head vacation hitting the tennis ball, then you definitely need to meet Brian Kiggans, our head tennis professional at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center.
As part of this ongoing series, we’ll ask our staff to tell us about themselves and their favorite things about the resort. Here’s what Brian had to say:
What are your responsibilities at Palmetto Dunes?
“I’m responsible for running the daily operations of our tennis clinics, private lessons, round robins, stringing, demo days and exhibitions. I make sure everything is covered for all the other lessons and clinics by the other staff professionals. I teach, too.”
What’s the best part of your job?
“I love teaching and meeting different people every week and building great relationships with people from all over the world.”
How did you come to work at Palmetto Dunes?
“I spent 15 years at another local resort and applied for job when it was vacant. I took over eight years ago.”
What’s the best thing about Hilton Head Island that most tourists don't know?
“It’s a year round resort even in the winter. The weather is great and you can still do all outdoor activities.”
What's your favorite spot on Hilton Head?
“The Dunes House on the ocean, only 500 yards from the tennis center. It’s just a hop, skip and jump after work. It’s right on the ocean, has a great view and it’s relaxing.”
What are the two most-played songs on your iPod?
“Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Thunder Road’ and ‘Jungle Land.’”
So look for Brian the next time you stop by the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center and tell him Bruce Springsteen said “hi” J. Stay tuned for interviews with more Palmetto Dunes staff in upcoming posts.
When you come to Hilton Head, park your car and don’t go back till it’s time to go home. Leave the transportation to us!
Starting April 1, our popular Dunes Buggy is back and ready for the busy season. This free transportation for resort guests travels throughout Palmetto Dunes and Shelter Cove Harbour. That means you can go from the beach to shopping without ever setting foot on your gas pedal.
Destinations include the golf courses, restaurants within the resort, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, Hilton Head Outfitters, the General Store, pro shops, Shelter Cove Marina and all the restaurants and shopping within Shelter Cove.
If you need to hitch a ride aboard “the buggy,” call 843-689-4222 and we’ll dispatch on a first-come, first-serve basis usually within about 10 minutes of your call. Give us a little more time during the busy weeks of the Heritage and Fourth of July, please ☺. The Dunes Buggy runs all summer through September.
And lest you be tempted to head to your car, remember we’ve got bikes, kayaks and hey, your own two feet, to get you where you need to go here in Hilton Head. You’ll enjoy the views a lot more and burn off a few calories while you’re at it.
See you soon on the Dunes Buggy!
The March issue of Tennis Magazine named Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 Tennis Center in the Carolinas and we couldn’t be more thrilled! The magazine considers the quality of tennis instruction, number of courts and clinics provided in determining the rankings. They also take into account the lodging, dining and other amenities that are included with your tennis vacation.
Our 25 courts -- 23 clay and 2 Nova pro bounce , 7 of which are lighted for night play -- made it to the top spot beating out several resorts in North and South Carolina. Beyond the quality and number of courts, Tennis Magazine called out our wide variety of tennis lessons and clinics. From our Junior Programs, such as our Short Shorts Clinic, to our Daily Round Robins, we have lessons and programs for the whole family. Plus, last year, we added a shortened court for children’s play to follow new tournament regulations.
Between February and November, our tennis center will play host to nine tournaments, bringing some amazing talent to Hilton Head Island.
Beyond all the courts, classes and tournaments here at Palmetto Dunes, we also offer two hours of free tennis court time daily to all our resort homes or villas guests, in addition to giving them the best deals on activities within the resort.
We’re so proud of our wonderful tennis team and look forward to hosting you for the perfect Hilton Head tennis vacation at the best tennis resort in the Carolinas!
We’re kicking off 2012 with four wonderful tournaments for all our golf and tennis friends out there. While we know many of you are stuck in snow and ice, why not head to Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and spend a little time outside in milder temperatures at one of these entertaining events.
On January 21, we’ll hold the Martin Luther King Golf Tournament at our Arthur Hills course. Locals will invade our golf course to play in honor of the great Martin Luther King Jr. Next, during the first weekend in February, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center will host the No-Snow Tennis Classic from the 3rd – 5th of the month. Grab your racquet and head down to Hilton Head for some great tennis play with a guarantee of no snow!
We’ll also honor all those in the food and beverage industry in Hilton Head with our annual F&B Golf Tournament on February 16. This will be the tournament’s 8th year at our George Fazio course and you can enter now by simply clicking here. This tournament is all about the locals and at least one person from your team needs to be in the food and beverage industry.
The 26th Annual “Luck of the Irish” Doubles Tournament will bring us into March with tennis teams that are sure to please. We hope to see lots of men’s, women’s and mixed doubles team this year. It’s only $45 per person for one event or $55 a person for two events. You can register your doubles team by clicking here and filling out the entry form.
We feel very lucky to have such amazing events happening this winter season and to be able to engage with all the Hilton Head locals and out-of-towners through these events. Whether you “love” tennis or golf, we hope this blog post got you on “par” with some tournaments to enjoy this year!
While most of the country is bundling up and sitting by their fireplaces, here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we’re out and about playing in 70-degree weather. From tennis and golf to fishing and kayaking, the activities don’t slow down here in Hilton Head when winter rolls in. To keep our winter visitors, active we’ve got some great seasonal deals for the tennis, golf or outdoors fanatic.
Hilton Head Outfitters is offering unlimited biking, kayaking and canoeing throughout the winter. For $49 per person you can rent a bike for the whole month or you can buy a bike for 25% off! Guests can also buy a year membership for $300 per couple or $199 per person, and enjoy unlimited kayak and canoe rentals!
Winter is actually the best time to start fishing in our lagoon system, because red fish, speckled sea trout and sheephead are bountiful. Head on over to Shelter Cove Harbour to take one of the many fishing charters with Captain Trent Malphrus. You’re sure to reel in a big one!
If tennis is more up your alley, you can purchase a monthly membership through February for only $200 per person that includes two hours of court time per day. Finally, if you’d like to play with us AND stay with us, we’ve got a 30-night resort accommodations package that includes golf, bikes, kayaks and tennis starting at only $1,200 per person. We think that’s a deal!
Call us 866-744-7558 and find out all the ways you can save this winter season!
Lots of women come through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year, and one complaint that we’ve heard a lot is about their tennis bags. They are often too large and bulky for the average woman to haul around. That’s why we started carrying the very stylish and sleek Life Is Tennis JETPAC bag.
Designed by a female tennis player for women, these bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes while also allowing you to pick from lots of fun patterns. The Winter collection provides prints such as Enchantment, Reptilian and Silver Vogue. Here at Palmetto Dunes we carry many different styles, including small and large slings, as well as totes.
So this holiday season give the gift that will make dreams of days spent in our tennis clinics and nights spent on our lighted tennis courts. The Life Is Tennis bag is a must-give this holiday season for all the lady tennis players in your life!
Fall means football, falling leaves and cooling temperatures but here at Palmetto Dunes, it also means lots of tennis. Over the span of three months, we host four diverse tournaments with a mixture of locals and visitors – both young and old!
To kick off the fall tennis season, we’re hosting the 3rd Annual Palmetto Dunes Tennis Fall Classic Sep. 2-4 and if you’re interested in playing you need to register by Sunday, Aug. 28. We end the month with our 26th Annual Banana Open Challenge that showcases top Banana Tournament players from across the southeast.
If you’re with us in November, come out and play in our 17th Annual Wild Wing Café “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Classic. This tournament is open to visitors and locals in mixed doubles or men’s and women’s doubles teams. The fall tennis season is wrapped up Nov. 18-20 with the David M. Carmine’s Memorial Tennis Championship. This tournament is open to all adults but juniors must have a current USTA membership to participate.
Want to stay up to date on all tennis events and tournaments at Palmetto Dunes? Find them on our website along with downloadable entry forms! Keep in mind that if you’re looking for a great fall getaway, every vacation booked through Palmetto Dunes directly includes 2 hours of free tennis court time daily! We hope to see you on the courts this fall and out and about in our beautiful resort!
Next month is the start of two months full of tennis tournaments here in Hilton Head, S.C. While we’re preparing for four tournaments hosted here in September and October, one of our team members is preparing to head west for a California tournament!
Our very own Mary Jackson, group coordinator at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, is headed to the United States Tennis Association (USTA) Nationals in Rancho Mirage, Calif.! At the tournament, held Oct. 14-16, she will represent the Southern Section in the 4.5 Senior Women’s division. This is a huge honor and one that Mary and her team worked very hard to achieve.
Here is a blurb from Hilton Head’s Island Packet newspaper about their win: “The senior 4.5 women's team from Palmetto Dunes Tennis Club brought back a title Tuesday from the USTA League Southern Section Championships in Mobile, Ala. The team finished 5-0 in the tournament and lost just one court in the five matches, wrapping up the championship by breezing to a 3-0 victory in the finals against a squad from Atlanta.”
We’re so proud of Mary and her entire team and wish them the best of luck at USTA Nationals. If you want to come learn from some of the best, check out all of our wonderful tennis clinics here at Palmetto Dunes!
from Tennis Resorts Online. The oceanfront resort was the only resort in Hilton Head ranked in the top 5 for instruction, junior programs and children’s programs and in the top 10 for overall resorts. These rankings mean a lot to us, because they are generated from actual visitors to resorts across the globe.
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort was also named No. 2 in the world for Best Instruction and Programs and ranked 8th in the world for Top Tennis Resorts. We also scored top marks for our junior and children programs, ranking it 3rd in the world for Best Overall Children’s programs and 4th for Best Junior Tennis programs. We are so proud of our Tennis Center and hope to see you all on the courts soon!
Calling all tennis aficionados 18 and younger. It’s time for the annual Palmetto Dunes Banana Open Junior Challenge! This Hilton Head tennis tournament, in its fifth year, kicks off Friday, April 29 and runs through Sunday, May 1 at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The tournament benefits the Charles P. Darby Children’s Research Institute at MUSC.
As with just about any sport, music instrument or creative endeavor, kids gravitate toward what offers early successes. That’s one reason why kids playing tennis at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center will appreciate the kid-sized tennis courts.