TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months. Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. See our winter golf academy schedule. Or just head out for a round with some pals. Winter is a great time to play golf in Hilton Head, as the crowds of summer are long gone, making for better pace of play, and temperatures are mild.
2) Ride a bike! – With some 50 miles of paved bike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout by playing tennis – Tennis gets the blood pumping for sure and the milder weather makes for more comfortable outdoor play. Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or take it up a notch with our Cardio Tennis class offered during the winter months on holidays.
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head to make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Try Shelter Cove Harbour waterfront shops or shop our Hilton Head golf pro shops and tennis pro shop for some great finds.
5) Kayak or canoe the lagoon – Plan to rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather should be at its warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Take a walk on the beach and look for shells – With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you’ll enjoy a quiet stroll and have a better chance of finding some great shells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what kind of treasures have washed ashore. Here are more tips on beachcombing in Hilton Head.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, learn to fish from the pros and see if you can earn bragging rights to a trophy red.
8) Eat oysters – Here in the south, we say that months ending in “r” are the best ones to eat oysters, so before December winds down, take this last opportunity! There’s a fine art to eating an oyster (or you can just slurp it down, of course J) whether you enjoy it with a touch of lemon, hot sauce or just plain!
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, during Hilton Head’s last Christmas bird count they totaled up more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon or a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. More Hilton Head birdwatching tips in the Hilton Head Outfitters blog.
10) Do nothing! After you’ve done our top 9, why not relax, unwind and do nothing :)? Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental from Palmetto Dunes and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Grab a good book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh….
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of packages to help you work in all of these things from our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership to our Spa Packages to Hilton Head tennis packages and Hilton Head golf packages. If we can answer any questions or book you a stay or tee time, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
It’s getting to be the time of year where the weather up north starts to get cold, with snow and chilling winds as the norm. But here in Hilton Head the weather is mild year round with the average high between 60 and 72 November through February. In fact, you can check our website home page any time of year for the current temperature and see our Hilton Head weather chart for average highs year round.
With sunny days so tempting, we have lots of folks who like to come spend a month or more with us in the winter, and to cater to these loyal guests, we offer a variety of fun options to keep them busy at our Hilton Head beach resort.
Our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership is great for active individuals who love to enjoy the great outdoors. It includes resort accommodations for 30 days in a Hilton Head vacation home or villa, unlimited golf on our three legendary Hilton Head golf courses and bike rentals throughout your stay, two two-hour kayak rentals to enjoy our calm 11-mile lagoon system, two hours of tennis court time daily and the best rates on all other activities at the resort. Plan to burn a few calories with this monthly sports membership!
Golf aficionados will love our Monthly Golf Membership that gives you a 30-day unlimited golf pass to our three championship courses. You also receive discounts at our Hilton Head golf pro shops, golf grills and range. Imagine how much your golf game will improve with so much practice!
If you’re a tennis player, you’ll be excited to know that with any stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed Hilton Head vacation villa or home, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily. So play your heart out!
Outdoor enthusiasts may enjoy a weekly – or even yearly -- kayak or canoe rental from Hilton Head Outfitters. Yearly members pay $199 for one person for unlimited use of the store’s standard kayaks and canoes in the Palmetto Dunes inland lagoon system, as well as receive half off for a second person and 10% off all other rental equipment. Monthly bike passes are also available for $59.99 for exploring the more than 50 miles of paved Hilton Head bike paths.
Which monthly sports membership is ideal for you? Call our vacation planners today to schedule your chance to get out of the cold and into the bright Hilton Head sun this winter!
While most of the country is bundling up and sitting by their fireplaces, here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we’re out and about playing in 70-degree weather. From tennis and golf to fishing and kayaking, the activities don’t slow down here in Hilton Head when winter rolls in. To keep our winter visitors, active we’ve got some great seasonal deals for the tennis, golf or outdoors fanatic.
Hilton Head Outfitters is offering unlimited biking, kayaking and canoeing throughout the winter. For $49 per person you can rent a bike for the whole month or you can buy a bike for 25% off! Guests can also buy a year membership for $300 per couple or $199 per person, and enjoy unlimited kayak and canoe rentals!
Winter is actually the best time to start fishing in our lagoon system, because red fish, speckled sea trout and sheephead are bountiful. Head on over to Shelter Cove Harbour to take one of the many fishing charters with Captain Trent Malphrus. You’re sure to reel in a big one!
If tennis is more up your alley, you can purchase a monthly membership through February for only $200 per person that includes two hours of court time per day. Finally, if you’d like to play with us AND stay with us, we’ve got a 30-night resort accommodations package that includes golf, bikes, kayaks and tennis starting at only $1,200 per person. We think that’s a deal!
Call us 866-744-7558 and find out all the ways you can save this winter season!