TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
Sure, a week is a great vacation to Hilton Head but a month is even better. Not that you needed any more reasons to visit us, but we’ve listed 5 of our top reasons to extend your stay at Palmetto Dunes to at least a month:
1) Play unlimited golf! What’s better than a round of golf? Unlimited rounds of golf! With our Monthly Golf Membership, you can play all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses as much as you want for an entire month. Choose between our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course, the Arthur Hills course or the George Fazio course.
2) Ride your bike on all 50 miles of paved island paths. Did you know you could pedal 50 miles across our island? Spend more than a week and see if you can master it all! With monthly Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, you’ll be set with any kind of bike you like, including their new comfort bike, cruisers, kids bikes and more.
3) Get to “love” tennis, if you don’t already. When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The longer you stay, the more tennis you can play!
4) Kayak to your heart’s content! Palmetto Dunes is home to a beautiful and peaceful 11-mile saltwater inland lagoon system that winds throughout the resort and our golf courses. Get weekly kayak or canoe rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters to enjoy the peaceful beauty of the lagoon, or if you plan to stay several months, consider the affordable yearly membership. See how many birds you can spot in the lagoon during your stay and watch for other wildlife, as well, like a friendly otter who likes to splash around our lagoon.
5) Try lots of Hilton Head restaurants. Here on the island we offer wonderful dining from ethic foods to fresh seafood to gourmet meals with beautiful views. Some suggestions include Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones Clubhouse, the beachfront Dunes House (open seasonally to resort guests and property owners), Ela’s Blu Water Grille with harbour views at Shelter Cove Harbour and San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, also at Shelter Cove.
If you want to do ALL these things on your visit to Palmetto Dunes, consider our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership. It gets you a 30-night stay in a Hilton Head resort villa, 30 days of unlimited golf and bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time daily, plus plenty of time to walk on the beach.
For more information about any of these memberships or packages, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
When you vacation in Hilton Head you don’t want to lose all the momentum you’ve built by doing a consistent fitness routine at home. But instead of doing the same old workout, why not get creative when you’re on vacation and as they say: “do as the locals do.”
There are lots of ways to workout in Hilton Head, but here are our favorites that will score you points for creativity but still having you working up a sweat.
1) Paddleboard Yoga – Paddleboarding is currently the fastest growing water sport and it’s tough enough on its own, but add yoga to the mix and you’ve got an unusual but extreme challenge. Who doesn’t want to brag they did Downward Facing Dog on a paddleboard?! Both the Jiva Yoga Center, located at 1032 William Hilton Parkway, and Outside Hilton Head, located in Shelter Cove Harbour, offer this unique form of exercise which challenges you not just to stand on a paddleboard (which can be hard enough) but to do yoga poses (like headstands!) on the board.
2) Cardio Tennis – Tennis fans will love this workout option. Cardio Tennis aims to keep your heart rate up for an extended time for a maximum workout. It focuses on drills and instructors use heart monitors to ensure you reach your target heart rate. Cardio Tennis classes vary during the off season so please call us at 866-744-7558 to verify class times.
3) Run or yoga on the beach – You’re at the beach, so take advantage of it for your exercise routine! Enjoy sunrise yoga or a sunset run on the beach. Running is more challenging in sand because it works your lower leg muscles more, but it’s also easier on your joints. You can also try biking with our fat tire bikes available from Hilton Head Outfitters or just a speed walk while admiring the scenery.
4) CrossFit Hilton Head – CrossFit is a fitness trend that’s gaining in popularity with even ESPN2 broadcasting the annual CrossFit games. CrossFit uses basic workout moves like squats, pull-ups, jump rope and the occasional tire flipping to give you a “tough” workout. The workout, called a WOD (workout of the day), changes daily to constantly mix things up. Everyone is also encouraged to lift weights with guidance on proper form. You’ll know you worked out after a CrossFit session. In Hilton Head, you can find CrossFit at CrossFit Hilton Head located at 6 Bow Circle.
5) Head to a local gym – Of course, you can always head to the local gym for a day pass if you just can’t imagine not using the Elliptical for a week. Just outside the resort, walking distance from your Hilton Head vacation home or villa, is Lava Fitness. Other Hilton Head gyms include Beach City Health and Fitness, Odyssey Health Club, Powerhouse Gym, Progressive Health and Fitness Center and more.
Of course, you can always choose one of our active vacation packages that include Hilton Head bike rentals, daily free tennis when you book accommodations through Palmetto Dunes, kayaking, golf and more. We like to stay active here at this South Carolina resort!
It’s getting to be the time of year where the weather up north starts to get cold, with snow and chilling winds as the norm. But here in Hilton Head the weather is mild year round with the average high between 60 and 72 November through February. In fact, you can check our website home page any time of year for the current temperature and see our Hilton Head weather chart for average highs year round.
With sunny days so tempting, we have lots of folks who like to come spend a month or more with us in the winter, and to cater to these loyal guests, we offer a variety of fun options to keep them busy at our Hilton Head beach resort.
Our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership is great for active individuals who love to enjoy the great outdoors. It includes resort accommodations for 30 days in a Hilton Head vacation home or villa, unlimited golf on our three legendary Hilton Head golf courses and bike rentals throughout your stay, two two-hour kayak rentals to enjoy our calm 11-mile lagoon system, two hours of tennis court time daily and the best rates on all other activities at the resort. Plan to burn a few calories with this monthly sports membership!
Golf aficionados will love our Monthly Golf Membership that gives you a 30-day unlimited golf pass to our three championship courses. You also receive discounts at our Hilton Head golf pro shops, golf grills and range. Imagine how much your golf game will improve with so much practice!
If you’re a tennis player, you’ll be excited to know that with any stay at a Palmetto Dunes-managed Hilton Head vacation villa or home, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis daily. So play your heart out!
Outdoor enthusiasts may enjoy a weekly – or even yearly -- kayak or canoe rental from Hilton Head Outfitters. Yearly members pay $199 for one person for unlimited use of the store’s standard kayaks and canoes in the Palmetto Dunes inland lagoon system, as well as receive half off for a second person and 10% off all other rental equipment. Monthly bike passes are also available for $59.99 for exploring the more than 50 miles of paved Hilton Head bike paths.
Which monthly sports membership is ideal for you? Call our vacation planners today to schedule your chance to get out of the cold and into the bright Hilton Head sun this winter!
The March issue of Tennis Magazine named Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 Tennis Center in the Carolinas and we couldn’t be more thrilled! The magazine considers the quality of tennis instruction, number of courts and clinics provided in determining the rankings. They also take into account the lodging, dining and other amenities that are included with your tennis vacation.
Our 25 courts -- 23 clay and 2 Nova pro bounce , 7 of which are lighted for night play -- made it to the top spot beating out several resorts in North and South Carolina. Beyond the quality and number of courts, Tennis Magazine called out our wide variety of tennis lessons and clinics. From our Junior Programs, such as our Short Shorts Clinic, to our Daily Round Robins, we have lessons and programs for the whole family. Plus, last year, we added a shortened court for children’s play to follow new tournament regulations.
Between February and November, our tennis center will play host to nine tournaments, bringing some amazing talent to Hilton Head Island.
Beyond all the courts, classes and tournaments here at Palmetto Dunes, we also offer two hours of free tennis court time daily to all our resort homes or villas guests, in addition to giving them the best deals on activities within the resort.
We’re so proud of our wonderful tennis team and look forward to hosting you for the perfect Hilton Head tennis vacation at the best tennis resort in the Carolinas!
We’re kicking off 2012 with four wonderful tournaments for all our golf and tennis friends out there. While we know many of you are stuck in snow and ice, why not head to Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and spend a little time outside in milder temperatures at one of these entertaining events.
On January 21, we’ll hold the Martin Luther King Golf Tournament at our Arthur Hills course. Locals will invade our golf course to play in honor of the great Martin Luther King Jr. Next, during the first weekend in February, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center will host the No-Snow Tennis Classic from the 3rd – 5th of the month. Grab your racquet and head down to Hilton Head for some great tennis play with a guarantee of no snow!
We’ll also honor all those in the food and beverage industry in Hilton Head with our annual F&B Golf Tournament on February 16. This will be the tournament’s 8th year at our George Fazio course and you can enter now by simply clicking here. This tournament is all about the locals and at least one person from your team needs to be in the food and beverage industry.
The 26th Annual “Luck of the Irish” Doubles Tournament will bring us into March with tennis teams that are sure to please. We hope to see lots of men’s, women’s and mixed doubles team this year. It’s only $45 per person for one event or $55 a person for two events. You can register your doubles team by clicking here and filling out the entry form.
We feel very lucky to have such amazing events happening this winter season and to be able to engage with all the Hilton Head locals and out-of-towners through these events. Whether you “love” tennis or golf, we hope this blog post got you on “par” with some tournaments to enjoy this year!
While most of the country is bundling up and sitting by their fireplaces, here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort we’re out and about playing in 70-degree weather. From tennis and golf to fishing and kayaking, the activities don’t slow down here in Hilton Head when winter rolls in. To keep our winter visitors, active we’ve got some great seasonal deals for the tennis, golf or outdoors fanatic.
Hilton Head Outfitters is offering unlimited biking, kayaking and canoeing throughout the winter. For $49 per person you can rent a bike for the whole month or you can buy a bike for 25% off! Guests can also buy a year membership for $300 per couple or $199 per person, and enjoy unlimited kayak and canoe rentals!
Winter is actually the best time to start fishing in our lagoon system, because red fish, speckled sea trout and sheephead are bountiful. Head on over to Shelter Cove Harbour to take one of the many fishing charters with Captain Trent Malphrus. You’re sure to reel in a big one!
If tennis is more up your alley, you can purchase a monthly membership through February for only $200 per person that includes two hours of court time per day. Finally, if you’d like to play with us AND stay with us, we’ve got a 30-night resort accommodations package that includes golf, bikes, kayaks and tennis starting at only $1,200 per person. We think that’s a deal!
Call us 866-744-7558 and find out all the ways you can save this winter season!
Lots of women come through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year, and one complaint that we’ve heard a lot is about their tennis bags. They are often too large and bulky for the average woman to haul around. That’s why we started carrying the very stylish and sleek Life Is Tennis JETPAC bag.
Designed by a female tennis player for women, these bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes while also allowing you to pick from lots of fun patterns. The Winter collection provides prints such as Enchantment, Reptilian and Silver Vogue. Here at Palmetto Dunes we carry many different styles, including small and large slings, as well as totes.
So this holiday season give the gift that will make dreams of days spent in our tennis clinics and nights spent on our lighted tennis courts. The Life Is Tennis bag is a must-give this holiday season for all the lady tennis players in your life!
Next month is the start of two months full of tennis tournaments here in Hilton Head, S.C. While we’re preparing for four tournaments hosted here in September and October, one of our team members is preparing to head west for a California tournament!
Our very own Mary Jackson, group coordinator at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, is headed to the United States Tennis Association (USTA) Nationals in Rancho Mirage, Calif.! At the tournament, held Oct. 14-16, she will represent the Southern Section in the 4.5 Senior Women’s division. This is a huge honor and one that Mary and her team worked very hard to achieve.
Here is a blurb from Hilton Head’s Island Packet newspaper about their win: “The senior 4.5 women's team from Palmetto Dunes Tennis Club brought back a title Tuesday from the USTA League Southern Section Championships in Mobile, Ala. The team finished 5-0 in the tournament and lost just one court in the five matches, wrapping up the championship by breezing to a 3-0 victory in the finals against a squad from Atlanta.”
We’re so proud of Mary and her entire team and wish them the best of luck at USTA Nationals. If you want to come learn from some of the best, check out all of our wonderful tennis clinics here at Palmetto Dunes!