When you’re returning a serve in doubles, your main goal should be to keep the person on the other side of the net from returning a winning shot. Brian Kiggans, head golf pro at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, says you should always view the return serve as a set-up shot.
To do this effectively, you need a plan. “You should already know where you are wanting the return to be directed before your opponent serves the ball,” says Kiggans. “You should have a plan on the forehand side and on the backhand side (or the same for both).”
According to Kiggans, you have three main choices when returning:
1) Back to the server
2) Toward the net person
3) Lob over the net person
“For example, if John Doe is serving to me, I have preprogrammed my mind that if the ball comes to my forehand I am going to return crosscourt back to the server. If it comes to my backhand, I am going lob over the net person,” says Kiggans. “This is my plan and I am sticking with it no matter what is happening on the other side of the net. If the serve is really difficult to handle and I can’t execute my plan, I just do my best to get the ball back in play.”
You should also plan the action you’re going to take after the return is made as to whether you are going to the net or staying back. Says Kiggans, “For example, I have planned to return crosscourt if the ball comes to my forehand and follow it to the net if it comes to my backhand. I am going down the line and staying back.”
In conclusion, planning ahead is one of the most important things you can do when returning serve and in life!
Get more information Hilton Head tennis clinics and lessons on our website or by calling us at 866-650-4130.
TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinics weekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
When March rolls around on Hilton Head Island, our minds start to wander toward tennis. Imagine mild days of sunshine spent on the courts, perfecting our skills and playing with friends. Spring is the beginning of Hilton Head tennis in all its glory and the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center revs up with tournaments, happy hours, weekly demonstration days, daily round robins and more.
March through October the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center gets into full “swing”! We offer a full plate of Hilton Head tennis lessons and clinics that give you plenty of flexibility to do as much or as little as you want. For example, you might want to fill your morning with instruction, but head to the courts – or the beach – in the afternoon.
Some of the drills and clinics on our schedule include our Return of Serve & Regular Serve clinics which work on two of the most important strokes in tennis that are the least practiced, our Stroke of the Day which focuses on a new stroke daily, our daily drill for beginner to intermediate players, and our Cardio Tennis class. Of course, we are also able to provide private and semi-private tennis lessons for one-on-one or small group instruction.
We also offer a full schedule of Junior Tennis Programs March through Labor Day and on holidays. Classes include Short Shots Clinic, Stroke of the Day, and a Junior Tennis Camp. View the complete Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center Programs Schedule for Spring 2013.
This time of year we introduce some fun, free weekly events for guests to socialize while enjoying tennis. On Monday nights at 5:30 p.m., we host our welcome exhibition and happy hour with complimentary beer, wine and lemonade, as well as door prizes. On Tuesdays at 2 p.m. we host a weekly Demonstration Day where players can see and try out the latest tennis equipment and have the opportunity to match a racquet to their playing style. Also during March through October, we have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition.
We also host a variety of tennis tournaments from February through October, including the popular Banana Open Challenge, where individuals qualify by participating in a variety of regional tournaments, as well as several USTA South Carolina state championships. View the full Hilton Head tennis tournament schedule.
Here are a few other things you might not know about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
Are you ready to come play tennis at Palmetto Dunes this spring? Call us at 866-744-7558 to get closer to playing Hilton Head tennis today!