About The Resort
Watch our Palmetto Dunes
Beach Fun VIDEO:
One of the finest resort destinations in the world, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is located at the heart of Hilton Head Island. Its 2,000 acres, nestled on three miles of sun-kissed Atlantic Ocean beachfront, provide the perfect venue for three world-class golf courses, an award-winning tennis center, and an 11-mile lagoon that invites guests in kayaks and canoes to share a pristine, natural environment with 40 species of birds and fish. Among Hilton Head oceanfront resorts, Palmetto Dunes enjoys an illustrious reputation for creating unforgettable vacation experiences. This is luxury at its finest.
Known as a world-class golf destination, our resort in South Carolina boasts three superbly crafted, challenging golf courses, each distinguished by its legendary designer and each showcasing the natural beauty of Hilton Head Island and the Lowcountry of South Carolina. The renowned Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course was named 2003 Golf Course of the Year in South Carolina. The Arthur Hills Course, where golfing legends Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson honed their skills as collegiate athletes, is built on a series of rolling dunes with thick stands of palmetto trees lining the course. The Arthur Hills Course was recently ranked 2009 Course of the Year in South Carolina and is also the home of the Historic Leamington Lighthouse. The George Fazio Course, named for its famous designer, was constructed with the help of his nephew, famed architect Tom Fazio.
For those who prefer a tennis racquet to a golf club, Palmetto Dunes Resort in South Carolina serves as an excellent choice for tennis. Tennis Resorts Online ranked the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center 5th in the World. It ranked the junior program 3rd in the World, and the center itself 2nd in the World for Best Instructional Programs and Events.
The internationally-acclaimed Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center features 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts, eight of which are lighted for night play. The tennis center offers a full schedule of seasonal activities, instructional programs and daily round robin tournaments, as well as the ever-popular Monday Night Tennis Exhibition.
Sports are just part of the fun at our Hilton Head Island beach resort. With three miles of prime Atlantic Ocean beach and 11 miles of a winding lagoon system teeming with wildlife, Hilton Head Outfitters offers kayaks, canoes, bicycles, fishing rods, beach gear and more. The saltwater lagoon system, which plays a key role in providing renewable drainage for our golf courses, is an ideal venue for boating, fishing and touring. Guests who prefer quieter activities may opt for a nature tour by kayak on the lagoon system or stop by Shelter Cove to charter a boat for a memorable dolphin encounter. And then, of course, there's beach walking and beachcombing.
For waterfront shopping and dining, the Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina features a wide array of specialty shops, quaint bistros, fine dining establishments, family-related and seasonal activities, including HarbourFest, and a towering 12-foot bronze statue of Neptune. This larger-than-life sundial serves as an iconic symbol of Shelter Cove Harbour at Palmetto Dunes and is hailed as the world's largest figurative sundial. Click here to read more about the "King Neptune" statue.
Awards and Recognitions
Ever since it was envisioned and created as an ecologically-friendly beach resort destination, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort has been winning accolades for the scope, beauty and quality of its activities and amenities. Here are just a few of the many honors bestowed upon this stellar resort in South Carolina:
- #1 Family Resort in the United States and Canada - Travel + Leisure Family
- Top 10 Luxury Family Resorts - Forbes
- 50 Greatest U.S. Tennis Resorts - Tennis Magazine
- #2 in the World for Best Instructional Programs and Events - Tennis Resorts Online
- #3 in the World for Best Junior Programs - Tennis Resorts Online
- #5 in the World for Best Tennis Resorts - Tennis Resorts Online
- Pinnacle Award for Resort Meetings
- Silver Medal/Top 75 Golf Resorts - Golf Magazine
- World's Best Golf Resorts - Travel + Leisure Golf
- 25 Best Family Golf Resorts - Golf for Women Magazine
- Arthur Hills Course - 2009 Course of the Year - S.C. Golf Course Owners Association
- Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course - 2003 Golf Course of the Year - S.C. Golf Course Owners Association
- Arthur Hills Golf Course - One of 25 Best Courses You Can Play - S.C. Golf Course Ratings Panel
- 2009 Web Marketing Association Hotel & Lodging Standard of Excellence Award