While the 65th PGA Merchandise Show has come and gone, from the look of things, the game of golf appears to be alive and vibrant.
More than 40,000 global attendees including 7,000-plus PGA Professionals flocked to Orlando in late January for this iconic trade show event that has long represented the heartbeat of the golf industry.
Of course, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort was well represented, with a half-dozen staff members making the nearly five-hour trek south to help celebrate the game, while at the same time networking and exploring all the new products, services and trends in the golf industry.
Our Palmetto Dunes reps filed an insiders report from the interactive PGA Show floor, which included a golf fitness, wellness & instruction stage, a golf travel pavilion, an equipment test center, a new product zone, an inventors spotlight, a performance textile fair, an adaptive golf center, a short-game area and much more.
The PGA Show truly must be seen to be believed.
Here’s our Palmetto Dunes ranking of the “8 Coolest Things We Saw at the PGA Show”:
1. We know that just about every golfer would love to hit the ball farther and be more consistent off the tee. For golfers of all ages and abilities, the Superspeed Golf Training System is the fastest way to increase club head speed. More than 350 top touring professionals are currently using the SuperSpeed Golf Training System, including Phil Mickelson and 2017 Tour Championship winner Xander Schauffele.
2017 Tour Championship winner Xander Schauffele endorses Superspeed Golf
2. Although, as Palmetto Dunes Director of Golf Clark Sinclair says, stand-up putters “seem a repeat of many moons ago,” with the Bloodline Golf putter, golfers can align putts from a clearer perspective. Standing behind the face, you can see the club, ball, target line and hole without having to tilt your head or use your peripheral vision. How good is Bloodline Golf? Well, three different players with multiple major championship wins on the PGA Tour used Bloodline’s pioneering and premium design features last year alone.
3. While we’re on the subject of putters, The Perfect Putter allows golfers of all levels to test their green reading abilities, work on their visualization of the true break on a putt and set up very effective practice drills to improve their putting. Used by numerous PGA Tour players including major champions Justin Rose and Jim Furyk, this device is great for golfers of all levels, from professionals to beginners.
Justin Rose practicing with The Perfect Putter
4. When it comes to drivers, the traditional hand-polishing process can lead to inconsistencies in face thickness and curvature between each manufactured driver head. “CNC precision milling” ensures that every driver face is machined to precise specifications to achieve optimal performance. Golf's first CNC precision milled forged titanium driver face with E9 technology is Cobra Golf’s KING F8, which the company describes as “thinner, hotter and more precise.” Sounds good to us!
5. Our PGA Show attendees also reported that the new Callaway Rogue line of drivers looked great. With the Rogue, the company promises, “jailbreak distance with increased forgiveness.” A Golf Digest 2018 Hot List Gold Medal Winner, the Rogue Driver delivers exceptional ball speed from the combination of Callaway’s new Jailbreak Technology and X-Face VFT, plus increased MOI for a breakthrough in driver performance.
6. The Flightscope Mevo can assist not only golfers, but soccer and baseball players as well. So, what is a “mevo,” you ask? Well, the mevo is a personal launch monitor with multi-sport capabilities designed for athletes to practice with a purpose. The technology was developed by FlightScope, a global high-tech company and industry leader in the development and manufacturing of sports technology. For golf, the Flightscope Mevo’s data parameters include carry distance, club head speed, ball speed, smash, vertical launch angle, spin, and height and flight time.
7. One of the most talked-about announcements during the PGA Show was the Greg Norman’s SHARK partnering with Visage for a more enhanced golf experience. Norman's company will produce golf cart equipped with an HD-touchscreen that streams music, live sports and highlights, premium videos and golf tips from the Shark himself — all without disturbing other golfers who may be nearby. Along with the entertainment features, the carts will have food and beverage options, shot tracer and eventually hole-in-one technology that will give golfers an opportunity to win prizes if they record a hole-in-one. "We've taken TopGolf from the driving range to the golf cart,” said the two-time major champion.
8. Pulling up the rear, if you will, in the new products area at the PGA Show there was a golf cart seat called Cool Ass Seats. That’s right, we said Cool Ass Seats. A replacement golf cart seat system currently only available for Club Car and EZGO Golf Car owners, these seats replace stock seats and have an internal element that will either cool or heat your golf cart seat. Whether cooling or heating, these revolutionary seating options provide climate-controlled comfort in all weather and seasonal conditions.