For many reasons, destinations weddings have recently grown in popularity and appeal. Many brides and grooms today are looking for a unique event that is fun for all their guests while really letting their personality as a couple shine through. We’ve compiled a list of the top 5 reasons for you to skip the typical venue options near home and let us host your wedding at Palmetto Dunes:
1. Picturesque Setting
From charming mossy oaks and scenic hidden pathways to beautiful ocean views and stunning sunsets, our resort will leave you with pictures and memories that you will never forget.
2. Ceremony and Reception
Get married oceanfront on the beach, on the deck of one of our venues or under the mossy oaks overlooking the golf course. Then walk on up to either The Dunes House deck overlooking the ocean, Arthur Hills Grille with the golf course as your back drop, head to Centre Court with its charming southern porch or host an intimate soiree at one of the many homes for rent within the resort. With a variety of options, we can guarantee a unique event catered to whatever you have envisioned.
3. It’s Cost-effective
With a variety of options for venues and a diverse menu selection, Palmetto Dunes offers an a la carte style wedding allowing us flexibility to provide you with the wedding of your dreams without breaking your budget. All of our venues offer a scenic backdrop and require little to no extra décor. Also included in our events is a full day of event coordinator who will put your mind at ease and take care of all the little details to make sure you can relax and enjoy your day.
4. Family friendly
Choosing a destination wedding offers your guests the excuse for a vacation! Hosting your event at Palmetto Dunes allows for a family friendly atmosphere with plenty of options for an awesome wedding with the bonus of a vacation everyone will remember. Rent an amazing beach house or a few villas close by to keep everyone together. Spend quality time on a fishing excursion or kayak trip. Plan a family golf tournament or tennis match. Or set up camp on the beach and simply relax and enjoy the view!
5. Hassle free destination wedding
You and your guests can travel to our beautiful resort and gorgeous beaches hassle free and without a passport! Let us take care of your ceremony and reception while you enjoy your time with your new husband or wife. Then after the big day you can relax and enjoy your honeymoon. No waking up at 3 a.m. to get to the airport, you are already here! Start your marriage with a custom-designed honeymoon package that includes luxurious accommodations, fine dining, and an extensive list of activities.
For more information about Weddings at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort call 843.686.9142 to speak with Lou Anne.
Part of our new ‘How-to’ series on the Palmetto Dunes Blog. Check back each month for more how-tos on making the most of your Palmetto Dunes vacation and having the ultimate lowcountry experience!
If getting in shape is one of your New Year’s Resolutions, you may wonder how you’re going to keep up with your fitness goals during your Palmetto Dunes vacation.
Not only will you never run out of things to do on Hilton Head Island, you’ll have a blast staying fit with these fun activities!
Two wheels good, four wheels bad
With over 50 miles of paved bike paths, it’s no secret that a bike is the perfect way to get around Hilton Head Island. Our bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters are just the thing to get you out on the open road! Did you know that you can burn up to 300 calories per hour just enjoying our many bike paths and trails?
Take a hike
Whether you’re combing the beaches on Hilton Head Island, strolling along the boardwalk at the marina, or strutting through the shops at Shelter Cove Harbour, incorporating walking into your vacation is a great way to get around, see some sights, and stay active. The incredible beach at Palmetto Dunes is over three miles long, so a walk to the end and back will add up to well over an hour of exercise – and with such a great view, we know you’ll enjoy every minute of it!
Go to court
The tennis facilities at Palmetto Dunes are world renowned, and nothing gets your heart rate going like a fast-paced set of tennis. Whether you’re a new to the game and in need of instruction or a seasoned player looking to play on superb courts, tennis is a fun way to stay fit while on vacation. One hour of tennis can burn up to 600 calories and health benefits of playing the game include cardiovascular and heart health, improved coordination and balance, muscle development, and strengthened bones.
If tennis isn’t quite your thing, try your paddle at Pickleball - the newest net game to hit Palmetto Dunes. This sport is great for all ages, combining elements of tennis, ping-pong and badminton. Best of all, it’s a blast to play.
Add some spin to your golf game
There’s now an easy way to work some extra fitness into your favorite game: the golf bikes at Palmetto Dunes! You can reserve a golf bike just as you would a golf cart when booking your tee time. Bonus: the bikes are easier on the greens than a golf cart! It’s never been easier to pedal and putt your way to fitness at Palmetto Dunes.
Paddle to the metal
If your legs are wearing out from all of your biking, walking and running, hop in a kayak and give your arms a workout. Did we say arms? We meant arms, shoulders, back, abdomen, chest and hands. Yep, kayaking is one heck of an upper body workout, not to mention a fantastic way to discover and experience all of the wildlife Hilton Head Island is home to. Hilton Head Outfitters has a great selection of kayaks to choose from, and Hilton Head Island has over 11 miles of lagoon systems to explore, so what are you waiting for?
We know that vacations are all about sitting back and relaxing, but with so many recreational activities at Palmetto Dunes, incorporating fitness into your vacation has never been simpler or more fun! Besides, an ice-cold drink at The Dunes House tastes mighty fine after a great workout.
Check back next month for another blog post on how to make the most of your Hilton Head Island vacation and have the ultimate lowcountry experience!
For most brides the perfect bridal gown plays a starring role in their wedding day festivities. Brides-to-be spend days researching and shopping for “THE” dress. It is often a very emotional part of the wedding planning process that can involve anyone from just the mother of the bride or a close friend, to a whole brigade of shoppers tagging along to weigh in on the selection process. At Palmetto Dunes, one of our biggest pay offs after spending months coordinating the wedding and getting to know each bride, is watching her walk down the aisle in her perfect dress.
This summer we had the pleasure of catering for Essence of Australia while they photographed their Spring 2016 Bridal Gown line at one of our favorite venues, the Rose Hill Plantation House. In between serving up breakfast, lunch and dinner, we were able to blend into the background and catch a sneak peek at this dreamy line of Martina Liana gowns. Bridal fashion in 2016 promises everything from elegant lace details, glamorous beading, and breathtaking illusion sleeves to stunning mix and match separates and Martina Liana does not disappoint. These gowns exude southern elegance and charm and we can’t wait to see some of our brides dazzling their guests as they walk down the beach in one of these amazing dresses!
Pictured at center: Martine Harris, Chief Creative Officer and Head Designer - Martina Liana
Look for an authorized retailer near you!
For more information about Weddings at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort call 843.686.9142 to speak with Lou Anne.
Congratulations to @julianerose! Of the dozens of photos submitted, her Instagram picture was chosen as the winner!
Juliane will be receiving our Ultimate Shelter Cove Experience Prize, including three nights in a two-bedroom villa at Harbourside III and gift certificates from the amazing restaurants and shops at Shelter Cove, including: San Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant, Seasons Shelter Cove, Scotts Fish Market, NASH Art Gallery, Bistro 17, Camp Hilton Head and more!
The holidays may be over, but there are still some wonderful reasons to visit Shelter Cove! Strolling the marina is one of our favorite things to do on Hilton Head Island, and with nightly entertainment, and your favorite shops and restaurants, Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina is the perfect place to shop, dine and play!
Keeping one’s New Year’s resolutions is not always an easy task. With that in mind, a good way to stick to your goals might be setting your sights on a friendlier challenge. For instance, a golfer might simply resolve to play more golf in 2016 — and travel to more renowned golf courses.
If this type of “new” New Year’s resolutions has appeal, the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on Hilton Head Island, S.C., offers everything a golfer needs.
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort offers a storied history of unparalleled golf experiences for guests from all corners of the globe. The resort is renowned for the excellent quality of its courses, challenging layouts and commitment to customer service. All three golf courses at Palmetto Dunes — each one distinctively different and uniquely appealing — have been rated an outstanding four stars or more by Fodor’s Golf Digest Places to Play and each named the South Carolina Golf Course of the Year. Since the 1970s, Palmetto Dunes has been a prime example of what a longstanding commitment to quality and customer satisfaction can accomplish. Golf has always served as the heart and soul of the Palmetto Dunes experience.
Readers of Golfweek magazine have rated the Robert Trent Jones Oceanfront Course among the best courses in the Southeast. The Jones Course’s signature hole, the dramatic par-five 10th, which was named a South Carolina Dream Hole, offers sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean and is widely considered one of the most spectacular holes in the United States. One of only two oceanfront holes on Hilton Head Island, the course’s legendary 10th hole delights golfers of every skill level.
An extensive renovation of the Jones Oceanfront Course involved reshaping and restructuring tees, greens and bunkers, along with elevating and reshaping the fairways, and improving natural drainage with the addition of the unique, 11-mile lagoon system that weaves its way through and around all three golf courses. Adding a set of junior or “short course” tees to the Jones Oceanfront Course’s layout enabled the resort to launch the Palmetto Dunes Junior Golf Academy and underscored Greenwood’s commitment to the next generation of golfers. When renovation work was completed, the South Carolina Board of Directors of the National Golf Course Owners Association named it the 2003 South Carolina Golf Course of the Year.
Many golfers regard the George Fazio Course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, the island’s only par-70 course, as Hilton Head Island’s most challenging championship course. Designed by George Fazio, the Fazio Course has been ranked among America’s Top 100 courses and was named the 2014 South Carolina Golf Course of the Year by the state’s National Golf Course Owners Association. The Fazio layout, which recently underwent a complete greens replacement, demands a combination of long play and precise golf shots.
The Arthur Hills Course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort takes full advantage of the natural beauty of this South Carolina sea island.
Named the 2009 Course of the Year by the South Carolina Golf Course Owners Association, this spectacular layout represents a careful blend of beauty and challenge. Stands of palmetto trees line the graceful fairways. Built on a series of rolling dunes, the Arthur Hills Course presents many opportunities for off-balance lies, while ocean breezes add to the challenge. Ten holes on the water further encourage precision play.
Palmetto Dunes does not cater to the advanced golfer only. Permanent junior tees at the Jones Course allow younger golfers and beginners to tackle a beautiful, 2,625-yard layout, while the Fazio Course also caters to juniors, with markings of 150 yards or less on the course. For juniors and ladies alike, lessons and daily clinics are available from PGA Professionals, as well as Monday evening demonstrations and specialized programs, all under the direction of former PGA Tour player Doug Weaver, Palmetto Dunes’ highly respected Director of Instruction.
Don’t want to lug your golf clubs on your trip to Hilton Head? The Palmetto Dunes Rental Club Program features full sets of the latest clubs from top brands Taylor Made, Nike, and Cobra. Or, for golfers looking for a new set of clubs or a new swing, Palmetto Dunes offers their popular launch-monitor testing and club fitting on the practice ranges with free instructional demonstrations every Monday afternoon.
Now, golfers playing Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort's trio of award-winning courses can now pedal from hole to hole. The first resort in the Carolinas and along the East Coast to offer the revolutionary new “Golf Bike,” Palmetto Dunes visitors can boost their calorie-burning quotient while teeing it up on some of the South's most beautiful and challenging courses. For more information about the three world-class golf courses at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort and many of the resort’s other offerings, please call 877-567-6513.
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months.
Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. Check out our winter golf academy schedule for more information.
2) Ride a bike! – With over 50 miles of paved pike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout with a game of tennis – Our mild weather on Hilton Head Island is ideal for outdoor play! Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our award-winning Palmetto Dunes Tennis Centre or try something new and get the blood pumping with a game of Pickleball!
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head, so make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Our favorite spots to shop are along the waterfront at Shelter Cove Harbour, the golf pro shops at Palmetto Dunes and our tennis pro shop.
5) Paddle the 11-mile lagoon – Rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather is warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Beach combing! – Take a walk on the beach and look for shells. With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you could have the beach all to yourself and you’ll have a better chance of finding some stunning seashells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what treasures have washed ashore.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of experienced fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, or rent some gear and cast-off from the beach, learn to fish from our pros and see if you can land a trophy-sized red!
8) Eat oysters – Oysters are never as fresh and delicious as they are in the fall and winter on Hilton Head Island, so slurp up! Whether you prefer a touch of lemon, a dash of hot sauce or plain, these are a perfect lowcountry delight.
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, over past years we’ve spotted more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon, or take a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. Head to the Hilton Head Outfitters blog for more birdwatching tips.
10) Do nothing! – What’s a vacation without a little bit of R&R? After you’ve done our Top 9, relax, unwind and do nothing at all! Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Embrace the charm and ease of lowcountry life; grab a book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh…
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of vacation packages to help you work in everything on your ‘Things to Do’ list! From our spa packages to Hilton Head tennis and golf packages.
Call us at 866-744-7558 and start planning your 2016 Winter Getaway!
One of the newest trends in the wedding industry is the weekday wedding. Many brides are losing the traditional Saturday wedding and looking for a memorable Monday event, a Wednesday gala or an intimate Sunday soiree. Celebrities like Jennifer Aniston, Cameron Diaz, Kerry Washington and Kelly Clarkson have recently celebrated their marriage vows mid-week to avoid press and paparazzi. While you may not spend your days dodging those paparazzi lenses, here are some reasons we think weekday weddings are a grand idea to consider:
1. Savings. Spend just a small amount of time shopping wedding venues and you will notice that pricing changes drastically when comparing a Saturday wedding with a weekday event. Choosing a weekday can potentially flow hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars back into your budget, allowing you to host the event of your dreams or take the perfect honeymoon. But why stop at saving money on your venue? By selecting a wedding date within the week, other vendors may offer discounts as well! Your ideal florist or DJ may be out of your price range for a Saturday wedding, but may offer incentives to book on typically slower weekdays.
2. Availability. Just past engagement season the flood gates open and all the newly engaged couples start looking for wedding venues. The popularity of weekday weddings is catching on, but many brides start out with a Saturday wedding. This means peak season Saturdays book up fast! If you are eyeing a specific date or have a venue that you really love, you may be more likely to find availability on a week day. Aside from vendor availability, you will also find that you and your guests have far more options for accommodations through the week than on a weekend.
3. Travel Ease. On Hilton Head Island, many vacation rentals run Saturday to Saturday. With all the island visitors coming on and off the island, it causes a good amount of traffic on Saturdays in peak season. Who wants to spend their wedding day worried about whether your friends and family and vendors are going to make it to the wedding on time? Save yourself the stress! The roads are always less populated through the week, cutting down on headaches for everyone. More importantly, you'll be able to relax and enjoy getting ready for your big day knowing everyone and everything is in its place on time.
4. More time to relax and celebrate. Something about a weekday wedding just adds a little extra glamour to the whole event. Now you can use your extra time on the island to hold a rehearsal dinner the night before to kick off your celebration. Or keep the party going with an intimate brunch the day after the wedding, and add a relaxing beach day with your wedding party. You have more time to plan kayak outings with your close friends, a boat trip with your family or an intimate excursion with your new husband! So why not make a week of it? Everyone will thank you for the opportunity (or excuse) for a mini-vacation!
For more information about Weddings at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort call 843.686.9142 to speak with Lou Anne.
With holiday decorations and thousands of twinkling lights perfectly placed, it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina and Shelter Cove Towne Centre. Visitors from near and far have joined us to celebrate the season, shop for the perfect gift and indulge in some festive flavors at our shops and restaurants this holiday season.
Visitors have shared some beautiful #ShelterCoveChristmas photos so far – entering them in a chance to win our fabulous Ultimate Shelter Cove Experience. You too can have a chance to win this Shelter Cove Christmas present, by sharing your favorite holiday display with us!
These photos perfectly capture the cascading, colorful light displays strung at the Dove Street Festival of Lights at Shelter Cove Towne Centre.
Shared by @julianerose, @hhiraltor, @ashotwell1990 and @ruavt2
From Christmas palm trees, to Santa’s sleigh to Frosty the Snowman, these photos showcase the ornaments adorning the town.
Photos shared by Casi Weatherford, @jcbehlert, and @ashotwell1990
Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina is steeped in the sights and lights of Christmas. Visitors can’t help but strike a pose with our festive Neptune statue and admire the beautifully decorated boats. We’ve even heard that Santa Claus can be found boat hopping this holiday season!
Shared by @ACWOA, Jim Grant and @thagoodguy
Don’t miss your chance to win the Ultimate Shelter Cove Experience – including three nights for you and your family in a two-bedroom villa at Harbourside III, and gift certificates from the amazing restaurants and shops at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina.
Head out to Shelter Cove, snap a photo of your favorite light display and share it using #ShelterCoveChristmas on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Want a second entry? Submit your email address on the Hilton Head website.
We know shopping for the holidays can be stressful, and finding the perfect gift for that special someone on your list can be a challenge. So to help, here’s our list of holiday gift ideas, and a few of our favorite things:
Garmin’s Approach Series is tailor-made to help you with your game. This ‘wearable caddie’ has over 30,000 golf courses pre-programmed into it – including all three award-winning courses at PalmettoDunes – and will show you course previews and distances, track your stats and swing metrics, keep score, and all with a sleek look and glove-friendly touch screen.
We love this sunscreen powder from Sunforgettable. It’s easy to apply and water resistant!
Lounge on the sand to your heart’s content and stay protected from the elements with a large, SPF umbrella. It will keep the wind and rays off you – not to mention make your spot easy to find when you’re coming in from the surf.
Help your tennis lover ace her or his courtside style with a quality tennis bag, like this one from our online store.
Stop by the Tennis Center Pro Shop at Palmetto Dunes, it’s the largest on Hilton Head Island! With top brands like Nike, Wilson, Head, Fila and Prince your tennis player will definitely be looking like a pro. Or how about getting some lessons for your tennis lover? Palmetto Dunes offers a wide variety of tennis clinics and lessons as well as private lessons. Call 843.785.1152 to inquire. A tennis lover isn’t going to fault you for a gift like that!
There’s more to Hilton Head Island than sports and recreation! There are over a dozen art galleries on the Island, including La Belle Image Fine Art Gallery at Shelter Cove Harbour. In fact, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina has a ton of shops and restaurants to explore, not to mention music and events all year round.
There’s always something riveting going on at the Arts Centre of Coastal Carolina, and tickets for a show during your next Palmetto Dunes Stay would make a wonderful gift!
With over 11 miles of scenic lagoons, 3 miles of beaches, and island-wide bike trails, there are tons of ways to enjoy the great outdoors at Palmetto Dunes!
You know what they say: you can’t stop the waves but you can learn to surf! Our amazing surf instructor has over 35 years of experience, and a surf lesson is the perfect gift for an outdoor enthusiast who loves the sea!
The best way to get around Hilton Head Island is by bike, and the folks at Hilton Head Outfitters can rent you all the bike gear you need for exploring. Add some style to your cycle with a handy and charming bike bag! This one is perfect for loading up on all sorts of goodies, whether you’re grabbing something from the General Store or cycling around your hometown.
Can’t decide what to give your loved one for Christmas this year? A Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort Gift Card is the gift that keeps on giving! Order yours by December 14 to guarantee delivery before Christmas. (And if you buy one for yourself, we promise we won’t tell!)
Shop great gift ideas like: HHI shirts, beach gear, bike accessories, fishing gear and more!
Two Under Armour shirts $99
Up to 30% OFF balls
50% OFF select belts
Buy 2 hats get 1 free
10% OFF 1 item*
20% OFF 2 items*
30% OFF 3 items*
40% OFF 4 items*
*Discounts apply to apparel only
sales about $150
sales above $100
sales about $50
All non-sale items only
|Big Jim's |
Mon.-Fri., 4 - 7 p.m.
View more specials
on new brand items like Dunning, Brooks Brothers and more! Add a PD logo for a truly custom gift.
20% OFF of Columbia
+ select Costa Del Mar