We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinicsweekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
Last week, the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport celebrated in high style as JetBlue landed its first planes at the airport, making the area the latest addition to the airline’s routes. There will now be daily flights coming into and out of Hilton Head Island from New York’s JFK and Boston Logan airports, connecting from many other cities across the country.
The addition of the airline is good news for the Lowcountry, as it adds more options for vacationers coming to the island. Already, JetBlue plans to increase the capacity of the airplanes flying into the area by 50% due to high demand, and other airlines have also lowered costs and added flights and additional seats.
On February 13, the first flights flew into the Savannah-Hilton Head International airport and the area hosted a grand celebration. Local officials and guests enjoyed blue cocktails, visits with “Forrest Gump,” comments from company executives and more. Major media, including representatives from Travel + Leisure, Southern Living, New York Magazine and others flew in for the event. Take a look at our board on Pinterest chronicling the entire event.
The Savannah/Hilton Head area has invested in a marketing effort to lure Northeasterners ready for a warm weather getaway to the Lowcountry area, which includes advertising in major outlets, as well as billboards atop taxis in New York City noting “Hilton Head is in full ‘swing’.”
Palmetto Dunes has created a package for those looking for a great airfare rate to play world-class golf in the Lowcountry. The Blue and Greens package includes a $200 JetBlue gift card per person good toward airfare, as well as 4 days/3 nights in a resort view villa, 2 rounds of golf per person at our beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3-day Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters and 2 hours of complementary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center.
We’re so excited to have JetBlue in town and hope you are, too! Be sure to check their rates before planning your next Hilton Head vacation to Palmetto Dunes.
Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to book the Blue and Greens package or for any other resort or Hilton Head vacation questions. Fly safe!
Several members of the Palmetto Dunes golf staff recently attended the 61st annual PGA Golf Show in Orlando to check out the latest and greatest in golf gear, apparel, accessories and services. More than 1,000 companies demonstrated their wares to some 41,000 people who attended from 80 different countries. Our team learned a lot and wanted to share their findings and favorites with all the golf lovers who visit Palmetto Dunes!
Doug Weaver, director of golf instruction at the resort, made the rounds at the show, interviewing many of the company reps on the details of their new equipment. He particularly spent time with Nike Golf on their shoes, drivers and balls.
The Lunar Control II shoe, which will be highlighted at this year’s Masters(no apostrophe) by Rory McIlroy, is known for being very lightweight while providing full support using the latest in Nike technology. More from Doug:
Doug also got up to speed on the new Nike Covert 2.0 driver, whose technology is designed to provide more stability, less resistance, straighter ball flights and faster ball speeds. Here is the full interview with Nike:
All of the Nike products from the show will be available at the Robert Trent Jones course pro shop, one of only six Nike Golf Concept Shops in the country.
While at the PGA Show, Doug logged over 30 hours of training with the inspirational Peter Jacobson! Classes focused on one plane and two plane swings, exercise, mental, junior golf and club fitting. Peter is a friend, Ryder Cup Player, Senior Tour Champion and TV commentator. At the age of 48, with his game falling apart, Peter took to a program that revived his game so much so that he became a Ryder Cup Player.
Get these and more tips from Doug with a private lesson, clinic or golf school at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy this spring!
Doug also caught up with the Golf Channel’s Michael Breed, host of “The Fix.” He and Doug were PGA tour players together and Doug encouraged Michael to go into modeling. He took Doug’s advice and later combined his love of golf with modeling to become a TV show host.
This Hilton Head vacation rental is in a prime location with easy access to the beach, along with views of both a pool AND our beautiful 11-mile inland lagoon system. You won’t have to look far to realize you’re on vacation here!
Newly-renovated in 2012, 165 Mooring Buoy is a four-bedroom, four-bathroom home that can accommodate up to 12 overnight guests, so it’s perfect for a large family, an extended family or two families traveling together.
Walk up the dual front staircases into a large living room with hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, skylights, brand new furniture and classic Lowcountry plantation shutters. You’ll also find a 50-inch flat screen TV for the few moments you won’t want to be outside!
Off the living area is a den with a sleeper sofa, as well as a fully-equipped kitchen with stainless appliances and hardwoods along with a breakfast area where you can seat four. Eight more people can sit around the dining room table, and don’t miss the wine bar and cooler also off the living room where you can chill your favorite vintage and enjoy a glass as you gaze out at the peaceful lagoon.
Of the four bedrooms, two are downstairs, one offering a new King Jamison bed and Jacuzzi tub in the adjoining bath and the other with two new twin Jamison beds with adjoining bath. Upstairs are the third and fourth bedrooms, each with an adjoining bath, one with a king bed and the other with a queen bed.
You’ll get to fully enjoy the Carolina sunshine with the amazing outdoor features of this Hilton Head vacation home. There is a large deck around the pool with a Webber gas grill for family gatherings. An outdoor table sits four while the rest of the crew can relax on the new lounge chairs. There’s also a washer/dryer to keep you in clean swimsuits and private parking to boot.
Remember, with all Hilton Head vacation homes booked through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each day of your stay. You also enjoy the best rates on all resort activities like our three championship golf courses, Hilton Head bike rentals, resort dining and more. Check out all of our amazing vacation packages or give us a call directly at 866-744-7558 and we’ll customize a stay just for your family.
Hope to see you at 165 Mooring Buoy soon!
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.
Whether you’re rooting for the Broncos, the Seahawks or just want to watch the commercials, there’s no doubt that watching the Super Bowl at the beach is a win-win: football AND beautiful views. You can even make all those people freezing cold in New Jersey jealous!
We’ve planned several activities around this game of all games, including a fun golf tournament in the morning, as well as day-long specials on Super Bowl Sunday at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant and a special golf deal the day after.
To start, we’ll host a Super Bowl Sunday Golf Tournament at the George Fazio golf course beginning at 9 a.m., because after all, you need something to do before the Big Game! In scramble format with a shotgun start, the tournament will offer multiple prizes and contests, as well as beer and snacks throughout the event. Sign up to play here by January 31.
Then when you’re ready to get into game mode, head over to Big Jim’s restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones golf course for a day full of Super Bowl specials while you watch the game on one of eight big screen TVs. Enjoy $2.50 Bud Light Pints, craft beers 2 for 1, and beer buckets starting at only $12. You’re going to need to eat too, of course, so fill up on our all-you-can-eat BBQ Buffet served from 5 p.m. through the third quarter.
If you’d prefer to take the party back to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home, we’ll have a variety of take-out specials from $25 and up, including a rib platter, wing platter, slider burger platter, BBQ Party Pack or Party Spread.
Finally, when it’s all said and done, whether your team won or lost, celebrate or drown your sorrows with a Hilton Head tee time at the George Fazio golf course on Monday, February 3. All you have to pay is the winning team’s score! Call 843-785-1138 to book your tee time and mention the Super Bowl Score Special.
If we can help you reserve the perfect Hilton Head vacation rental for your Super Bowl party, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Let us know in the comments which team you’re rooting for!
Many couples dream of a beach wedding with the tide rolling behind them and their toes in the sand. The team at Palmetto Dunes helps that dream come true for many a bride and groom every year. Here's what many of them had to say about their amazing ceremonies:
Ben and Lindsay
“Picking the perfect location for your wedding can be the most daunting part of planning. After researching and visiting many wedding venues on Hilton Head Island, we knew instantly that their wedding planner was honest and sincere in what she and Palmetto Dunes could offer for our wedding day. The moment we saw the Dunes House, we knew that it was the perfect location for a beach ceremony. The Dunes House offered us elegance, yet simplicity… Along with the ideal setting, came a ceremony and reception that ran smoothly and seamlessly. Everything was perfectly coordinated on the ‘day of’, Ben and I only had to show up. From the sea oats and linens on the tables to the delightful dinner, everything was wonderfully prepared. The staff at Palmetto Dunes provided us with a venue and an experience that surpassed all our dreams of a perfect wedding day.”
“My wife, Dana had always wanted a beach wedding, and we visited numerous venues on the Southeastern coast. When we came to Palmetto Dunes, we knew we had found our place. The sheer beauty of the resort is captivating, and the Dunes House looked like something that came out of our dreams. Working with our Wedding Coordinator was an absolute pleasure. She made the overwhelming number of decisions that we needed to make a pleasure, and guided us every step of the way. She genuinely cared about our Wedding, and did everything that she could to make sure that it was everything we wanted and more.
The ceremony itself was stunning. The setup and decorations that she had prepared were beautiful, and she was there to make sure that everything went off without a hitch. Our reception went into the night, and the moonlight shimmering off of the ocean was right out of a fairly tale. One of the things that surprised us the most about that night was how amazing the food was! Most weddings that we have been to have relatively modest food, but the Chef at Palmetto Dunes prepared one of the best buffets that we and our guests have ever tasted.
Lastly, it is important to note that Palmetto Dunes made our wedding affordable. The food, beverages and the venue were very reasonably priced, and we really felt like we got a great deal. Now that we have been married for almost six months, we look back on our wedding at Palmetto Dunes as a perfect event. If you are considering Palmetto Dunes to host your special day, there really isn't a better option. Palmetto Dunes was perfect, and we couldn't ask for more.”
Joe and Sarah
“Our wedding in Palmetto Dunes … was as magical a day as we had dreamed. We had a very personal sunset ceremony with one of the most scenic views imaginable. We highly recommend the staff at Palmetto Dunes Resort. From the wedding planner's advice on vendors to her comforting words when the weather didn't seem to be cooperating, we couldn't envision planning this most important day without them. We were even able to get a sound technician on the beach to play our Beatles ceremony: Octopus's Garden, as the guest were seated, All You Need Is Love for the processional, and The End for our first kiss and end of the ceremony. As you can see from our photo, it was a beautiful, intimate event…”
“They say that rain on your wedding day is good luck. I just think it's an old saying to help brides feel better during a deluge! Nonetheless, we had no choice but to happily embrace our blessings from heaven when the skies opened up on our wedding day at Palmetto Dunes. Part of the reason I chose PD is because the Dunes House and the adjacent covered patio made for a picturesque ‘Plan B’ in case of rain … our wedding planner was absolutely wonderful the morning of the wedding in shifting everything indoors and making sure we still had the special oceanside wedding we desired. I truly feel that our positive attitudes during the downpour, the loving energy we got from our guests, and the wedding planner's swift actions moved God to cease the rain precisely when the ceremony ended! It seems no sooner did the minister allow my husband to ‘kiss the bride’ that the rain stopped and the sky turned a beautiful, dreamy dark blue! We were able to take photos outside on the deck and on the beach -- our photographer loved the post-storm sky and said it was much better than having bright sun. Our dinner was still indoors and featured the simple elegance and intimacy the Dunes House offers; the food was delicious and the decor was wonderful. We enjoyed drinks and dancing outside, and we look back on our rainy wedding day as absolutely perfect! Our thanks to Palmetto Dunes- even with the rain you gave us a dream wedding we'll never forget!”
Already an owner at Palmetto Dunes or considering a primary or second home at our beautiful Hilton Head resort? Then, come enjoy our annual celebration of homeownership by celebrating the very best of the resort: the ocean, golf, tennis, biking and more. We invite you to the Owner/Guest Tournament Weekend Feb. 7-9.
What’s on tap for this weekend of fun? On Friday, enjoy tee times at all three of our championshipSouth Carolina golf courses throughout the day. Each course offers a different playing experience and beautiful views to boot. Dunes Marketing Group will also host a tour of open houses of Hilton Head properties for sale within the resort. Be prepared, you just might fall in love!
A tennis round robin will take place from 3-5 p.m. at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which has earned us the designation of top tennis resort in the Carolinas from Tennis Magazine, and then attend a complimentary reception and dinner with cash bar at Centre Court Pavilion.
On Saturday, we’ll host a special golf tournament for our owners and guests at the famed oceanfront Robert Trent Jones golf course. There will be a shotgun start at 9 a.m. with scramble format with tee gifts before and prizes afterward. After the tournament, enjoy a BBQ lunch buffet at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Jones Clubhouse and then head out on Dunes Marketing Group’s complimentary open house tour from 3-5 p.m.
On Sunday, enjoy your favorite activities. If you love tennis, head over for some time on one of our 25 Hilton Head tennis courts or, if you’re a golfer, enjoy one more Hilton Head tee time. Guests can also feel free to bike around the resort, enjoy local shopping, kayak or canoe our 11-mile inland lagoon or enjoy a dolphin cruise or fishing charter. We’re never short of something to do here at Palmetto Dunes!
Be sure to RSVP for this amazing offering by Feb. 1. Contact Ross Javornik at 843-686-9624 or by email atrjavornik@PalmettoDunes.com.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, its just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.