Father’s Day is just around the corner and we’ve got our eye on some gifts that we know Dad will love! Our Father’s Day Gift Guide has ideas for the perfect way to say ‘I love you’ this Father’s Day.
1. We know by the line-ups at Big Jim’s that a good meal goes a long way. Does your dad like to cook? Give him the gift of Lowcountry cooking at home with a cookbook featuring southern flavors, like Georgia-based Chef Hugh Acheson’s A New Turn in the South. If your father prefers eating to cooking, why not give him a gift certificate for his favorite Palmetto Dunes restaurant?
2. There are plenty of options for the golf-loving dad at Palmetto Dunes! Help him improve his game with a golf clinic or private lesson from The Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy – rated one of the best in the state. Or, give Dad an experience he’ll never forget! Our Stay and Play Package is the perfect golf getaway for a busy, golf-loving dad. (And maybe he’ll bring the whole family along!)
Another idea is some new golf gear. The Sun Mountain Four 5 bag is a great golf bag for those who like to carry their clubs. If your father prefers riding his way through our picturesque golf courses, the C-130 Cart Bag would be perfect.
3. One of the best-selling items on our online shop is the ¼ zip stretch thermal top. Its lightweight and breathable fabric makes it a go-to layer for golfers no matter the weather! Customize Dad’s top with a logo to make it truly one-of-a-kind.
4. We know from your #PDSummer Instagram pics that y’all know how to take a pretty picture of your time at Palmetto Dunes, so why not capture the memory of a family vacation to give to Dad? Print off one of your favorite Instagram photos onto a piece of metal for a unique of artwork Dad will love!
5. A new wallet is a classic Father’s Day gift, and the Winston Collection Money Clip Wallet will never go out of style, in fact its gorgeous 100% Vacquetta leather virtually guarantees that this wallet will age beautifully.
6. We can just picture Dad lounging on the beach – or by your villa pool – with a good book. Help Dad unwind and get into a good read with a thriller from master spy novel writer John le Carré. The Night Manager has recently been made into a mini-series, and we promise your father won’t be able to put this book down!
7. Can’t decide? A gift card lets Dad pick his present. The gift of Palmetto Dunes? We can’t think of anything better! Call us if you have any questions or other needs.
Palmetto Dunes guests share incredible Instagram photos. Why? Because they’re having the most fun in the most beautiful place!
If you’re vacationing at Palmetto Dunes this summer, we have a challenge for you; The Palmetto Dunes Summer Instagram Challenge!
How the contest works:
Every Thursday morning this summer, we’ll announce a theme. If you’re staying at the resort, snap a photo fitting that theme and post it to Instagram with the hashtag #PDsummer. Each week, one lucky Instagrammer will win a Palmetto Dunes gift card!
The Palmetto Dunes Summer Instagram Challenge themes are:
May 26-June 1: Beach Reads
June 2-8: Picnicking
June 9-15: Stunning Sunrises
June 16-22: Love Tennis
June 23-29: Life’s Better Barefoot
June 30-July 6: Fourth of July Fun
July 7-13: Ice Cream and Popsicles
July 14-20: On the Water
July 21-27: Fore!
July 28-August 3: Lowcountry Food
August 4-10: Cheers To Summer
August 11-17: Totes Y’all – Beach Totes
August 18-24: Summer Sunsets
August 25-31: Family Fun
September 1-7: Dog Days of Summer
Ready, set, ‘gram! And don’t forget to follow Palmetto Dunes on Instagram.
The weather is heating up on Hilton Head Island, and as we inch closer to summer, we at Palmetto Dunes can’t help but be excited for HarbourFest 2016 at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina.
If you’re planning on visiting Palmetto Dunes this summer and you’re looking for things to do on your Hilton Head Island vacation, make sure you add HarbourFest to your list! There’s something for everyone at this family-friendly local event, and it runs all summer long. To help you plan, and get you as excited as we are for all of the exciting summer festivities at Shelter Cove Harbour, here’s your guide to HarbourFest 2016. Arguably the most famous thing about HarbourFest is also the most fantastic – the fireworks at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina! This year, fireworks will start at 9:30 p.m. to make sure everyone is able to get to Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina and settle in for the show.
HarbourFest fireworks will be held Tuesdays on the following dates:
June 14, 21 & 28
July 12, 19 & 26
August 2, 9, 16 & 23
We want to make sure your Palmetto Dunes vacation is as sunny and stress-free as can be, so if it should rain, we’re planning on holding HarbourFest Fireworks the next day, Wednesday, if the weather permits.
HarbourFest is an event for the whole family, and there is entertainment happening at Shelter Cove Harbour virtually every night of the week, all summer long! Kids will love clowning around with Cappy the Clown, a recurring guest at HarbourFest who has been entertaining kids of all ages for over 25 years. Cappy the Clown will be performing Monday through Friday between 6 and 9 p.m.
Enjoy a long lowcountry summer evening at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina while taking in the tunes of Shannon Tanner, who is returning to HarbourFest again this year to perform every weekday evening at 7 and 8:30 p.m.
If you’re really enjoying living the island lifestyle on Hilton Head, you’ll want to swing by Parrot Palooza on Thursday nights, beginning June 16. Live music and entertainment with an island vibe, what a perfect way to wrap up your Palmetto Dunes day!
Of course, there is a ton to do and see while at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina. Head out onto the open water with one of the Shelter Cove Marina water cruises before heading to the concert; or grab a bite before the fireworks at San Miguel’s, Scott’s or any of the incredible dining options at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina.
The excitement of HarbourFest is sure to be a highlight of your Hilton Head Island summer vacation. Don’t forget to capture the fun and share with us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram! We love seeing your #HarbourFest2016 photos!
At long last, lowcountry summer days are just around the corner! That means it’s time to put away your winter wardrobe and prepare for shorter sleeves, higher hemlines, and body-baring bathing suits. Make the transition to warmer weather a whole lot easier with these spa treatments at Palmetto Dunes:
Treat Your Feet
Photo via Nicole B.
With summer upon us, open-toe shoes are calling and there’s no better time to turn your attention to your winter-worn feet with a luxurious spa treatment.
The Ocean Tides Signature Pedicure at Ocean Tides Spa will get your feet sandal ready with a sugar exfoliation, followed by a cooling mint mask application, pineapple oil massage, and paraffin dip to induce moisture.
Smooth Your Skin
Photo via @madeline_wasulko
Nothing says summertime like soft, smooth, touchable skin. Giving your body a little extra TLC with one of our waxing, massage and body treatments will leave you glowing this season.
For perfectly prepped summer skin, we recommend the Ultimate Zen Body Ritual at Spa Soleil. This invigorating treatment includes full body exfoliation, skin hydrating and a renewing body wrap.
Face the Season
Photo via Kate Dunphy of Taffeta & Tulips
After a long winter you want to put your best face forward this summer season, so leave your winter skin behind with one of our refreshing and renewing facial treatments.
With the Sea of Life Deluxe Facial at Spa Soleil you’ll experience the healing powers of the sea, the calming properties of the earth’s finest essential oils, and the energy glow of Bio-Dynamic Cranial Therapy.
Find Your Summer Style
Photo via @kalynmelham
There’s nothing quite like taking care of your hair to get into the summer spirit. Trim away dry winter ends and find the perfect style this season with our personalized salon services.
We may be biased, but there’s no better place to spoil your strands with a cut, color and style than our Ocean Tides Salon.
Looking for a fun activity for the whole family during your stay at Palmetto Dunes? POP Tennis retains elements of traditional tennis while staying simple and low-impact. No previous tennis experience is required to enjoy this unique sport. Anyone of any age can pick up a racquet and hit the court like a pro! Check out the infographic below for more info! If you’re interested in playing during your stay click here to book courts and lessons.
You did it! You’ve made it through another winter and now spring is in the air. Spring gives us lots to celebrate, with longer days, lighter clothing, and even brighter skies!
Although winter is mild on Hilton Head, springtime brings a certain kind of rejuvenation and optimism, reminding us that summertime is just around the corner - and we think that’s a cause for celebration!
Here’s how to celebrate spring at Palmetto Dunes:
‘Par-tee’ on our three championship golf courses.
It’s time for a ‘hole’ new golf season. Why not make it ‘tee’-rrific? All puns aside, our three award-winning golf courses are distinctively different, with pristine conditions and challenging layouts, making Palmetto Dunes the perfect place for you to get back into the ‘swing’ of things after a long winter!
Relax on a patio
The only things you’ll find frozen at Palmetto Dunes are the drinks! And of course, every celebration should include food. Now that the days are getting longer, that also means The Dunes House is open later (depending on the weather, The Dunes House opens at 11 a.m. and stays open until dark!) Enjoy this laid-back beach bar and restaurant and its spectacular view of the beach.
If you prefer a golf course view, head to Big Jim’s patio, which overlooks our Robert Trent Jones course. Every celebration needs vino, so visit Big Jim’s for Wine Down Wednesday and enjoy half price bottles of wine. Cheers to spring!
Fall in ‘love’ with Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center
At the heart of the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, you'll find 26 clay tennis courts, five of these courts are designated for junior/POP tennis and eight for pickleball.
Pickleball is one of the fastest-growing new sports in North America and it’s great for all ages. It’s a cross between tennis, ping-pong and badminton, created to provide families with a game they can play together. Give it a try!
Shop your winter woolies off!
It’s time to ditch the winter layers for shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops! There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head, so forget your winter woes with lighter clothes and one-of-a-kind souvenirs of your springtime getaway. Our favorite spots to shop are along the waterfront at Shelter Cove Harbour, the golf pro shops at Palmetto Dunes, and our tennis pro shop.
‘Seas’ the day on a boat
Shelter Cove Marina is the largest deep-water marina on Hilton Head Island and home to some of the island’s best boat tours, rentals and water sports. Choose a leisurely exploration of Hilton Head’s coastal waterways or a fun-filled fishing adventure. Rent a boat, go on a nature tour, take a dolphin cruise - there’s no better way to ‘sail’-ebrate spring than on a boat!
Spring Break is just around the corner, and Palmetto Dunes is the perfect destination for your family vacation. Whether you’re travelling with young kids or teenagers, looking for adventure or R&R, have the best spring break vacation ever, with these tips:
Spread out, make room.
Our rental vacation homes and villas are ideal for family vacations. Lots of bedrooms and common space mean there’s room for everyone, and our pet-friendly rentals mean your furry friend won’t be left out of the fun!
A spring break vacation is a great way to bring the family together, but scheduling time and room for some alone time will help keep conflict to a minimum and ensure everyone has nothing but an enjoyable time.
Pick the right soundtrack.
Nothing gets a party started like the perfect playlist, and whether you’re lounging by the pool, cooking up a storm, or setting the scene for a slumber party, the Hilton Head Island Spotify Channel will help you set the scene.
Learn something new.
Check out our golf and tennis clinics! There’s a different one every day of the week! Or enroll your family in a private lesson – you’ll be playing like the pros in no time. During your stay at Palmetto Dunes, you can learn an entirely new sport! We now offer Pickleball and POP Tennis, two court-based sports that are fun for any age or fitness level!
One of the most fun things to do on Hilton Head Island is get outdoors and explore. Biking is hands down the best way to get around. Or rent a kayak and explore Hilton Head Island by water! You never know what wildlife you’ll come across or what memories you’ll make.
Find an activity for everyone.
One of the struggles when planning a family vacation is ensuring everyone is having a fun time. Your 16 year-old daughter may not want to do the same thing as your 11 year-old son, and that’s okay! Remember that just because you’re taking a family trip together doesn’t mean you don’t all still have individual interests.
One of the best things about Hilton Head Island is the lowcountry lifestyle. So take a cue, and sit back and relax. Your Spring Break vacation will be over before you know it, so slow down and enjoy every moment.
Part of our new ‘How-to’ series on the Palmetto Dunes Blog. Check back each month for more how-tos on making the most of your Palmetto Dunes vacation and having the ultimate lowcountry experience!
If getting in shape is one of your New Year’s Resolutions, you may wonder how you’re going to keep up with your fitness goals during your Palmetto Dunes vacation.
Not only will you never run out of things to do on Hilton Head Island, you’ll have a blast staying fit with these fun activities!
Two wheels good, four wheels bad
With over 50 miles of paved bike paths, it’s no secret that a bike is the perfect way to get around Hilton Head Island. Our bike rentals at Hilton Head Outfitters are just the thing to get you out on the open road! Did you know that you can burn up to 300 calories per hour just enjoying our many bike paths and trails?
Take a hike
Whether you’re combing the beaches on Hilton Head Island, strolling along the boardwalk at the marina, or strutting through the shops at Shelter Cove Harbour, incorporating walking into your vacation is a great way to get around, see some sights, and stay active. The incredible beach at Palmetto Dunes is over three miles long, so a walk to the end and back will add up to well over an hour of exercise – and with such a great view, we know you’ll enjoy every minute of it!
Go to court
The tennis facilities at Palmetto Dunes are world renowned, and nothing gets your heart rate going like a fast-paced set of tennis. Whether you’re a new to the game and in need of instruction or a seasoned player looking to play on superb courts, tennis is a fun way to stay fit while on vacation. One hour of tennis can burn up to 600 calories and health benefits of playing the game include cardiovascular and heart health, improved coordination and balance, muscle development, and strengthened bones.
If tennis isn’t quite your thing, try your paddle at Pickleball - the newest net game to hit Palmetto Dunes. This sport is great for all ages, combining elements of tennis, ping-pong and badminton. Best of all, it’s a blast to play.
Add some spin to your golf game
There’s now an easy way to work some extra fitness into your favorite game: the golf bikes at Palmetto Dunes! You can reserve a golf bike just as you would a golf cart when booking your tee time. Bonus: the bikes are easier on the greens than a golf cart! It’s never been easier to pedal and putt your way to fitness at Palmetto Dunes.
Paddle to the metal
If your legs are wearing out from all of your biking, walking and running, hop in a kayak and give your arms a workout. Did we say arms? We meant arms, shoulders, back, abdomen, chest and hands. Yep, kayaking is one heck of an upper body workout, not to mention a fantastic way to discover and experience all of the wildlife Hilton Head Island is home to. Hilton Head Outfitters has a great selection of kayaks to choose from, and Hilton Head Island has over 11 miles of lagoon systems to explore, so what are you waiting for?
We know that vacations are all about sitting back and relaxing, but with so many recreational activities at Palmetto Dunes, incorporating fitness into your vacation has never been simpler or more fun! Besides, an ice-cold drink at The Dunes House tastes mighty fine after a great workout.
Check back next month for another blog post on how to make the most of your Hilton Head Island vacation and have the ultimate lowcountry experience!
Here in Hilton Head where most days the skies are blue and the weather is mild, there is plenty to do to keep active during the winter months.
Here are our top 10 winter activities on Hilton Head Island:
1) Polish your golf game – Our Hilton Head golf academy offers a variety of classes for golfers all winter long. Learn to play more carefree like Bubba Watson, improve your mental golf game or enjoy daily 50-minute clinics on different skills. Check out our winter golf academy schedule for more information.
2) Ride a bike! – With over 50 miles of paved pike paths on Hilton Head Island, there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the beauty of our island. Hilton Head Outfitters offers Hilton Head bike rentals for every member of your family, including cruisers, kiddie carts, tag-a-longs and child seats.
3) Get in a cardio workout with a game of tennis – Our mild weather on Hilton Head Island is ideal for outdoor play! Try a Hilton Head tennis lesson from our award-winning Palmetto Dunes Tennis Centre or try something new and get the blood pumping with a game of Pickleball!
4) Shop! – There are plenty of unique boutiques and stores on Hilton Head, so make sure you head home with a one-of-a-kind souvenir of your Hilton Head vacation. Our favorite spots to shop are along the waterfront at Shelter Cove Harbour, the golf pro shops at Palmetto Dunes and our tennis pro shop.
5) Paddle the 11-mile lagoon – Rent a kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters and head out mid afternoon, when the weather is warmest. Enjoy a peaceful tour of our 11-mile inland lagoon system, take in the wildlife and see Palmetto Dunes in an entirely new way.
6) Beach combing! – Take a walk on the beach and look for shells. With fewer people visiting Hilton Head in the winter, you could have the beach all to yourself and you’ll have a better chance of finding some stunning seashells. Keep your eye out for dolphins in the surf and see what treasures have washed ashore.
7) Catch a redfish! – Fall and winter are some of the best times to catch a “big red” and our team of experienced fishermen can help you do it. Whether you take an offshore or inshore Hilton Head fishing charter, or rent some gear and cast-off from the beach, learn to fish from our pros and see if you can land a trophy-sized red!
8) Eat oysters – Oysters are never as fresh and delicious as they are in the fall and winter on Hilton Head Island, so slurp up! Whether you prefer a touch of lemon, a dash of hot sauce or plain, these are a perfect lowcountry delight.
9) Go birdwatching – The birds are out in winter, and in fact, over past years we’ve spotted more species than ever before! Grab some binoculars and head out on a kayak in the lagoon, or take a Hilton Head boat tour to Daufuskie Island or Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge for some great birdwatching. Head to the Hilton Head Outfitters blog for more birdwatching tips.
10) Do nothing! – What’s a vacation without a little bit of R&R? After you’ve done our Top 9, relax, unwind and do nothing at all! Kick back in your Hilton Head vacation rental and enjoy an ocean or palm tree view. Embrace the charm and ease of lowcountry life; grab a book, a cup of coffee and rest. Ahhh…
Palmetto Dunes offers plenty of vacation packages to help you work in everything on your ‘Things to Do’ list! From our spa packages to Hilton Head tennis and golf packages.
Call us at 866-744-7558 and start planning your 2016 Winter Getaway!
With holiday decorations and thousands of twinkling lights perfectly placed, it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina and Shelter Cove Towne Centre. Visitors from near and far have joined us to celebrate the season, shop for the perfect gift and indulge in some festive flavors at our shops and restaurants this holiday season.
Visitors have shared some beautiful #ShelterCoveChristmas photos so far – entering them in a chance to win our fabulous Ultimate Shelter Cove Experience. You too can have a chance to win this Shelter Cove Christmas present, by sharing your favorite holiday display with us!
These photos perfectly capture the cascading, colorful light displays strung at the Dove Street Festival of Lights at Shelter Cove Towne Centre.
Shared by @julianerose, @hhiraltor, @ashotwell1990 and @ruavt2
From Christmas palm trees, to Santa’s sleigh to Frosty the Snowman, these photos showcase the ornaments adorning the town.
Photos shared by Casi Weatherford, @jcbehlert, and @ashotwell1990
Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina is steeped in the sights and lights of Christmas. Visitors can’t help but strike a pose with our festive Neptune statue and admire the beautifully decorated boats. We’ve even heard that Santa Claus can be found boat hopping this holiday season!
Shared by @ACWOA, Jim Grant and @thagoodguy
Don’t miss your chance to win the Ultimate Shelter Cove Experience – including three nights for you and your family in a two-bedroom villa at Harbourside III, and gift certificates from the amazing restaurants and shops at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina.
Head out to Shelter Cove, snap a photo of your favorite light display and share it using #ShelterCoveChristmas on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Want a second entry? Submit your email address on the Hilton Head website.