If you’re visiting Hilton Head Island prior to the holidays, be sure to take advantage of our many unique boutiques and shops that you don’t have back home. Whether you have golfers or tennis players in your family or you’re just looking for a one-of-a-kind gift, you’ve got plenty to choose from when it comes to Hilton Head shopping.
1. Nash Gallery – Art lovers will be in heaven browsing this Shelter Cove art gallery. Featuring work from North American artists, you’ll find pieces made from metal, wood and glass, as well as ceramics and even jewelry.
2. Ship’s Store – The Shelter Cove Marina Ship’s Store features all things nautical in apparel, accessories and anything you’d need for a day out on the boat. Tervis Tumblers make great gift items, along with stylish nautical belts, Guy Harvey shirts and Sperry Topsiders.
3. Taffeta – Get your best friends the latest fashions from Europe at Taffeta in Shelter Cove. The clothing boutique specializes in styles from France and Italy for both special occasions and casual wear.
4. Neptune’s Niche – Lowcountry is the theme at this store named after the iconic Statue of Neptune at Shelter Cove. The shop carries works from local artists, including glassware, woodwork, pottery, ironwork and textiles.
5. Seasons – The latest boutique to open at Shelter Cove, Seasons offers women’s apparel, accessories, jewelry and other gift items. You’re likely to find a hot pair of pumps and a gorgeous necklace for your most stylish friends here.
6. Camp Hilton Head – Need a Hilton Head souvenir or casual apparel like T-shirts and hats? Camp Hilton Head at Shelter Cove says they are your vacation headquarters. Give your friends and family a little taste of Hilton Head with items from this unique boutique.
7. Christmas on the Harbour – Celebrate Christmas island style at this pretty little store at Shelter Cove. Not only do they have Department 56 houses, Christopher Radko blown Polish glass, Jim Shore Collectibles and nativities, you’ll also find plenty of one-of-a-kind Hilton Head-themed gift items. Doesn’t everyone need a Hilton Head ornament for their tree?
8. Palmetto Dunes Golf Pro Shops – Golfers will delight in any of our three Hilton Head golf pro shops. For Nike lovers, the Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop is one of only six Nike Concept Shops in the country. Find clubs, accessories, apparel and equipment for all your golf needs.
9. Palmetto Dunes Tennis Pro Shop – Palmetto Dunes also caters to tennis players with thousands passing through the resort every year. Our Hilton Head tennis pro shop offers the latest name-brand apparel and racquets, as well as Solarbat Leverage™ sunglasses, racquet covers, bags and other fun tennis gift items.
10. Hilton Head Outfitters – For the adventure lover, head to Hilton Head Outfitters for gift ideas. Inside you’ll find surfing, biking, paddleboarding and kayaking equipment and accessories, as well as T-shirts and sweatshirts, fishing gear, jewelry, sunglasses and more.
Did we cover everyone on your gift list this year?!
For more information about visiting Palmetto Dunes this holiday season, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
Are you the hostess with the mostest? Then you’ll definitely want to wow your friends, family and colleagues with a holiday party that stands out during this season packed with gatherings. Whether you want to win them over at home or socialize beachfront, Dunes Catering & Events, part of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, is here to help you pick the perfect party venue and menu.
Who can argue with a Christmas party at the beach? Invite your northern friends down for a taste of a South Carolina coastal Christmas when you choose to have your party oceanfront at the Dunes House, a casual outdoor setting for up to 200 people. This venue regularly hosts weddings, reunions, corporate parties and more, so our staff is ready and able to decorate it to your heart’s content and prepare some fantastic Lowcountry food as you enjoy the ocean breeze.
If you’re looking for an indoor venue for your holiday function, consider the Centre Court Pavilion at Palmetto Dunes, which offers a ballroom-style setting for up to 150 party-goers. The Pavilion is a large, bright and airy room that overlooks the tennis courts and grand oak trees. It also offers a covered, open-air dining pavilion for serving guests a relaxed dinner buffet.
Whether you call the island home year-round or love to find the perfect vacation “home” away from home during the holidays, we’re happy to bring the party to you. Our team is ready to prepare a Southern meal for your guests wherever you desire. Request an event proposal here.
Wherever you choose to enjoy the company of friends and family, Dunes Catering & Events provides a delicious menu of options for dining. Choose from plated dinners, buffets or intimate dinners for smaller groups. We offer a selection of hors d’oeuvres, gourmet cheeses, carving stations, action stations (sushi bar, mashed potato bar and more), dinner menus, buffets (Lowcountry boils, Taste of the South, Southern BBQ) and a full bar and wine selection. View our menu.
Are you ready to plan your Hilton Head holiday party? Give Lou Anne or Lindsay a ring at 843-686-9623 to get started.
If you’ve got some folks in your family who simply adore Hilton Head, why not give them a little taste of the island as their holiday gift? We’ve got 5 ideas for the Hilton Head lovers in your life:
1. Golf flag – For the golfers in your family, why not give them a fun reminder of their rounds at Palmetto Dunes? Come shop in one of our Hilton Head golf pro shops for a flag with the name of one of our golf courses or we’re happy to ship it to you. Why not reserve them a future golf round, as well?
2. Beach-themed ornament – Christmas tree ornaments can be fun reminders of people and places near and dear to your heart. That’s why you should have an ornament representing Hilton Head on your tree. The Palmetto Dunes General Store always has some cute ones in stock – be it Santa riding an alligator or climbing a palm tree J.
3. Hilton Head vacation – Want to see the family go bananas on Christmas morning? Let them unwrap a gift that tells them they’ll be vacationing to Hilton Head Island next spring or summer! Go ahead and book your Hilton Head vacation home and include a few pictures for them to ogle along with a sample itinerary of biking, golfing, playing tennis, kayaking, fishing and more!
4. Palmetto Dunes logoed gear – Our new online store makes it easy to order something and have it sent direct to you without ever having to step outside the door. Choose from a variety of apparel all printed with the Palmetto Dunes logo, including fleece jackets, hats, polos and even robes.
5. Palmetto Dunes Gift Card – For the people you just don’t know what to get, why not a Palmetto Dunes gift card? They can use it at any-resort owned property for goods and services, such as accommodations for vacation rentals, meals at the Dunes House or Big Jim’s, rounds of golf, tennis lessons, bike rentals or even surfing lessons next summer! Buy online.
Which of these Hilton Head Island gifts would you like the most this holiday season? Do you think your family would enjoy receiving them?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head vacation or ship gift items direct to your doorstep, give us a call at 866-650-4130.
The holiday season is upon us and we’ve got many fun events in the works for those of you considering a Hilton Head holiday getaway. Who can blame you for wanting to gather with your family on our beautiful island with the beach just outside your door?
Hilton Head Island offers all the traditional seasonal activities, as well, like visits with Santa, plentiful holiday shopping and delicious restaurants with seasonal offerings. Here’s just a few of the events you can look forward to throughout November and December:
Santa Claus is Comin’ to Shelter Cove!
Bring the little ones across the street from Palmetto Dunes to Shelter Cove Harbour on Friday, November 28, to see Santa as he makes a quick stop at the beach to find out what every little boy and girl would like under the tree this year.
Santa arrives at noon via a fire truck where he’ll be stationed at Neptune Statue for some great Instagram-worthy Christmas pics! The fun starts long before Santa arrives around 11 a.m. with holiday music, a moon bounce house, a kiddy train ride around the marina and special offers and sales from Shelter Cove merchants.
Santa will hang around until 2 p.m. before leaving our mild beach weather to head back to the snowy North Pole.
Shelter Cove Harbour offers outstanding Hilton Head shopping with a beautiful view. Stroll through our many boutiques and shops for one-of-a-kind items like local ornaments at Christmas on the Harbour and amazing artwork from Nash Gallery. The newest store to open at the Harbour is Seasons, which features women’s apparel, accessories, shoes, jewelry and resort wear -- the perfect spot to find dazzling outfits for upcoming holiday parties!
Throughout the weekend after Thanksgiving and all during the holiday season, Shelter Cove stores will offer sales and specials to cover all of your holiday shopping needs.
It’s Oyster Roast Season!
As we like to say here in the Lowcountry, any month ending with an “r” is the perfect month for an oyster roast, but things really get in full swing in November and December. The Dunes House, open to resort guests and owners at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, hosts an annual oyster roast for our dear friends and family each November.
This year’s event will be Saturday, November 29 from 2 p.m.- 7 p.m. Come shuck some oysters and eat them your favorite way – with lemon, hot sauce or however you prefer! We’ll also have beer specials and a full menu, and did we mention the fantastic ocean view?!
If you’re looking for something to shake up your holiday celebrations this year or want to start a new family tradition, consider Thanksgiving at the beach here on beautiful Hilton Head Island. At Palmetto Dunes, we offer everything you need to have the perfect family festivity and enjoy a vacation at the same time.
Our Thanksgiving Week Special combines the best of Turkey Day with all that the beach and Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort has to offer. Stay at least three nights and get 10 percent off select Hilton Head vacation villas within the resort and head over to the oceanfront Dunes House restaurant for your traditional Thanksgiving Day dinner.
The package also encourages you to stay active on the holiday to burn off all those pumpkin pie calories with 20% off bike, canoe and kayak rentals, 15% off of Hilton Head golf tee times at our three championship courses, as well as two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily. Guests who book through the resort also receive merchandise and dining discounts, as well as preferred rates and priority access to all resort activities and amenities.
In addition to the package, we offer accommodation rates at our Hilton Head vacation rentals, starting at just $159 per night. For an additional cost, you can choose to dine at the Dunes House, which offers a buffet on Nov. 27 from 11 a.m.-5 p.m., or head over to Big Jim’s restaurant, which will be serving plated dinners complete with all the fixings!
If you’d prefer to have Thanksgiving dinner in the comfort of your vacation home or villa, pick up your Thanksgiving dinner to go from Big Jim’s starting at 11 a.m. on Nov. 27. Reservations are required for the Dunes House buffet, and we recommend reservations and pre-ordering for Big Jim’s in-restaurant or to-go meals. Call us at 843-686-9136.
Afraid Hilton Head Island prices are beyond your reach? Think again! Palmetto Dunes, especially in the off season, which includes the holidays, may be more economical than you thought.
From October 2014-March 2015, we have rates for a two-bedroom resort view villa starting at only $159/night! And unlike a traditional hotel room, you get a full villa with many of the amenities of home like a full kitchen and dining area and a washer/dryer, which makes packing so much easier. Our villas also have TVs, wireless Internet access and many have porches, balconies or decks to enjoy Lowcountry views, as well as gyms, pools and elevators. Additional bedrooms and ocean views are available for a higher starting rate.
Plus, when you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you get even more value for your nightly rate, including two free hours of tennis daily and 20% off resort dining and items at select retail outlets. Our guests also receive preferred rates and priority access to our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and golf lessons, Hilton Head tennis clinics, Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, fishing charters and more.
Got a pooch who wants to join you at the beach? No problem! We offer several Hilton Head pet-friendly accommodations during this season.
Always dreamed of spending the holidays watching the waves crash after your turkey dinner or opening gifts? These prices remain the same during Thanksgiving or the December holiday break, too – an amazing deal!
Fall and winter are wonderful seasons to visit the island with much milder temperatures than you’ll find up north and all the same fun Lowcountry activities available. Take a look at our recent blog on 7 Fall Activities to do on Hilton Head Island.
Let us know if we can get that $159/night rate locked in for you and your family! Give us a ring at 866-650-4130 and browse our Hilton Head vacation rentals to find the perfect vacation home for your visit.
Sports fan? Can you think of a better spot to enjoy game day than enjoying food and drink specials with amazing views of an oceanfront golf course just outside the window? That’s what you’ll find at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones golf course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
Designed to be sports friendly for football fans and beyond, the restaurant offers lots of big screen TVs, showing different games, and daily food and drink specials along with happy hour every day from 4-7 p.m. Eat your fill of wings, nachos and sliders while sipping cocktails and a variety of brews.
If you’re looking for a spot to root for your favorite college football team, enjoy fall-off-the-bone ribs 2 for 1 on Saturdays. On Sundays, when the NFL takes the spotlight, try our 2-for-1 wings and $2 sliders. On both days, you’ll find $15 buckets of domestic beers.
You can even bring the kids, as we offer a family-friendly environment and full kids menu. As the air gets a little crisper in winter, we even set up an outdoor fire pit for socializing during half-time and pre- and post game.
Got a group headed to your house or vacation home to cheer for the home team? Big Jim’s offers party packages and platters starting at $30 so you can leave all the cooking to us! Just give us a call at 843-785-1165.
Big Jim’s is open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 7 a.m.-9 p.m. View the full menu.
Looking to get spooked this Halloween on your vacation to Hilton Head Island? You’ll definitely want to make a stop at a famous landmark that just happens to be located right here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
The Leamington Lighthouse, or the Hilton Head Rear Range Lighthouse, is located within the Arthur Hills golf course and legend holds that there have been a Hilton Head haunting or two within this historic structure.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the lighthouse was built between 1879 and 1880 to help guide ships into Port Royal Sound. It originally included a keeper’s house, forward beacon (whose light could be seen from 15 miles away) and rear lighthouse; however, only the rear lighthouse remains standing along with a water cistern and brick oil house.
The lighthouse was taken out of service and abandoned during the 1930s, but during World War II, it was used as a lookout post for enemy ships entering the sound. It is one of the few surviving lighthouses in South Carolina and the only one of its type remaining in the state. Greenwood Communities and Resorts, the parent company of Palmetto Dunes, restored the structure in 1985 and opened the grounds to the public. It’s now an iconic landmark for those playing the Hills Hilton Head golf course.
The tale goes that in 1898 as a major hurricane swept through the area, the lighthouse keeper died of a heart attack as the storm raged, but his 21-year-old daughter kept the light burning after his death. However, she died just three weeks later.
Ever since, there have been reported sightings of a female ghost in a long blue dress on dark, rainy nights. Let us know if you see her….
Whether you’re looking for a casual burger or a more upscale meal, you’ll find it at Shelter Cove Harbour, which is home to a variety of Hilton Head restaurants all close to the marina and many offering a waterfront view.
Centrally located on the island across from Palmetto Dunes, Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina is a Mediterranean style shopping and entertainment district with activities for all ages from fishing and kayaking to jet packing and parasailing. When it comes to dining, patrons have a great selection from Italian to Mediterranean and beyond.
Shelter Cove Harbour restaurants include:
La Fontana Waterfront Grill & Pizza
Curb your craving for Italian at La Fontana whose owners and chefs hail directly from Naples, Italy. La Fontana serves authentic Italian cuisine and pizzas and features a patio and outdoor bar for enjoying the views.
Mediterranean Harbour Bar & Grill
Experience fresh Lebanese cuisine right in the midst of the Lowcountry at Mediterranean Harbour Bar & Grill, which opened in summer 2014. The restaurant is known for its healthy selections, which include steaks, lamb, seafood and vegetables, as well as gluten-free and vegetarian options. It also has an outdoor bar with marina views.
One of the most popular spots in Shelter Cove Harbour is San Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant. During the warmer months, this Hilton Head Mexican restaurant often has live music and it offers outdoor seating, as well. You’ll want to be sure to try a margarita at San Miguel’s and, of course, their fish and shrimp tacos!
Scott’s Fish Market
One of the most established restaurants at Shelter Cove Harbour is Scott’s Fish Market, which has been around for more than 20 years. Located marina-front right next to the iconic Neptune Statue, the restaurant has a large outdoor dining area and specializes in seafood, steaks and pastas.
ELA’S Blu Water Grille
A hot spot for celebrities visiting the island, ELA’s is a fine dining Hilton Head restaurant with a beautiful water view. Paula Abdul and Jane Seymour have each been spotted dining at the restaurant. ELA’s is known for its fresh catch seafood, steaks and wine selection.
Another gourmet establishment at Shelter Cove Harbour is French restaurant Bistro 17. Entrees at Bistro 17 include duck confit, rack of Colorado lamb, steak frites and wild salmon. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily and it has a newly expanded dining area overlooking the water.
Which Hilton Head restaurant is your favorite at Shelter Cove Harbour? Which would you like to try next?
The fall forecast for Hilton Head Island? AWESOME! We want you to come on down and enjoy the mild weather, Carolina sunshine and great activities that make autumn a wonderful time of year to visit Hilton Head Island.
Here are 7 of our favorite fall activities on Hilton Head Island and at Palmetto Dunes:
1. Music & Taste on the Harbour – Is there anything better than live music outdoors with a beautiful view? We put it all together at Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, located just across Highway 278 from the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Every Thursday, through October 23, Shelter Cove will feature live music from local bands along with light appetizers and drink specials from Shelter Cove restaurants. It’s a free event, so don’t miss the fun!
2. Fishing – It’s hard to top fall fishing on Hilton Head Island. The red fish are especially abundant, because they spawn, forming large schools, during fall. We have more than 6000 red fish, ranging in size from 1-40 pounds, stocked in our 11-mile inland lagoon, so you’re bound to catch one. If you’d like to have some “reel” fun, head out with Captain Trent Malphrus, who knows all the right spots, on one of our Hilton Head fishing charters!
3. Biking – With the milder temperatures, it’s a great time to hop on a bike and explore the 25 miles of paved bike paths within the resort or venture beyond to the more than 50 miles of paved paths across the island. Stop by Hilton Head Outfitters for the perfect bike rental, options for kids and all the bike accessories you’ll need.
4. Kayaking – Another great activity for all ages here at the resort is kayaking or canoeing. Enjoy a peaceful paddle in our lagoon system and take in the beautiful natural surroundings and golf course views. Hilton Head Outfitters rents kayaks and canoes, including singles and doubles for families who want to bring along young kids. You can also fish from our kayaks and canoes.
5. Beachcombing – Autumn can be the perfect season to search for shells. The beaches are not as crowded and the sun isn’t beating down on you quite so much. Keep your eye out for various shells, shark teeth and even the occasional Native American artifact! Here are more beachcombing tips for Hilton Head Island.
6. Golf – Challenge your best friends to a round – or several rounds – of golf at our three varied, championship Hilton Head golf courses. We offer lots of benefits for groups, such as stocked beer, logoed merchandise and access to our TripCaddie app that lets you track scores and even award trophies! Get a group golf quote here.
7. Tennis – You can work up a sweat playing tennis at one of our 25 courts in a hurry, but in fall you won’t be quite as soaked. Enjoy some of the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center fall tennis tournaments like the Banana Open Challenge, take a Hilton Head tennis clinic offered daily or try our Cardio Tennis class for a real calorie-burning workout!
What activity are you most looking forward to this fall on Hilton Head Island? If we can help you plan your fall Palmetto Dunes vacation, visit our new website at www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-650-4130.