In a recent blog post, we provided you with video answers to some of your most pressing golf questions. Now, we’ve compiled some tips from Palmetto Dunes Director of Golf Instruction and former PGA pro Doug Weaver to help you do everything from perfect your putt to refine your swing in the New Year.
Here are 15 golf tips from Doug to get you off to a great start on the green:
1. Let others watch the ball. If you look up, you will not like what you see.
2. Listen for the putt to drop. When you turn to watch the ball go in, that action changes your alignment. Looking up usually happens before impact, therefore causing stroke misdirection and missing the sweet spot.
3. Tell one joke per round. The benefits of laughing will lower your score. Laughing produces a sense of well-being, lowers the heart rate and stress hormone levels. It also releases endorphins that are natural pain relievers. Also, you will more than likely to be invited back to play, regardless of your score.
4. When it’s breezy, swing easy. When you swing at pace of 70 percent, you are more likely to strike the sweet spot. The sweet spot produces more distance and imparts a spin on the ball that aids in overcoming the influence of the wind.
5. Remember that golf is a game of opposites. The harder you try, the worse you do. This always gets giggles, and all golfers say it is true.
6. Visit www.mentalgolfworkshop.com (password palmetto). Yogi Berra said, "Golf is 90 percent mental and the other 10 percent requires a lot of thinking.”
7. Watch the movie Seven Days in Utopia. Robert Duvall is the star, along with a number of PGA Tour players. Put yourself in the character of Lucas Black.
8. Attend the Free Golf Class at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course on Mondays from 4 to 5 p.m. It’s hands-on, interactive and you may even win a prize
9. Take a golf lesson from a pro who keeps it simple. The fewer the words, the better. After all, actions speak louder than words.
10. Understand that putting correctly will help your driver go farther. Golf is actually much simpler than most think. The fundamentals of excellent putting can be applied to improve your driver as well.
11. Transfer your present skills into golf. What hobbies or skills do you have? We can take the fundamentals of that skill and transfer the principals into golf. For example, when your posture and hand placement are done correctly, this leads to unconscious finger movement and minimal errors.
12. Read fewer golf books. An ancient Chinese proverb says, “experiencing is the best way to learn.” An effective coach will have you experiencing successful golf with a hands-on method in much less time.
13. Trust a proven coach for all areas of your game. Jordan Speith expresses significant gratitude to his entourage.
14. Perspire 15 minutes before you practice and play. The perspiration tells you your body has blood flowing to all your joints, ligaments and tendons and to every brain cell. You are ready to swing fluidly, creating effortless power not powerless effort.
15. Attend the Palmetto Dunes Golf Forum on February 24. This will be an evening of golf entertainment, education and enjoyment.
January and February are great months to play golf on HIlton Head Island, says Doug. Book your tee times at one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, or sign up for lesson, golf school or clinic at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy.
Are you hoping to improve your golf game in 2015? We’re giving you a head start with some video tips from our Director of Golf Instruction Doug Weaver.
We recently invited our Twitter, Facebook and Google + followers to write in their most pressing golf questions. We had a great response with golfers asking about everything from how to work on their game during the winter to how to eliminate a slice off the tee. We have compiled all the videos for you to watch and then get tips to better your own golf skills.
Here are some of the questions we received:
Are any of these issues that you struggle with on the golf course? Watch Doug's great answers to all of these questions in our YouTube playlist below.
Need more help than a video? Book a lesson with Doug or another of our Hilton Head golf pros, or sign up for one of our Hilton Head golf clinics or schools at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy.
Of course, it always helps to get practice, so book your tee times at our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, which provide you with three varied playing experiences to give you a more well-rounded game.
True, we may be showing our age by referencing the old TV action hero who made a name for himself, literally, through his ability to seemingly escape any jam with nothing more than … say … a small paperclip and a piece of chewing gum. But as you will see, the MacGyver-like ability to “get creative” when planning golf trips can be very helpful.
MacGyver didn't have the power of the internet. However, he was always prepared. Imagine how easy it would have been to plan his annual buddy golf trip had he possessed the powerful tools offered by Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on Hilton Head Island.
This year, impress your golf buddies by planning a trip MacGyver-style, but just don't let them know how easy it was!
1) Newly launched Website with quick quoting capabilities
Planning a Hilton Head Island golf vacation just got even easier with a new user-friendly and device responsive website for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. The new website, located at www.palmettodunes.com, lets guests sort almost 150 Hilton Head vacation homes and rentals by date, location, view and number of people each unit can accommodate. Users can now also reserve golf tee times, bikes, kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, beach chairs and more via the click of the mouse.
The website can be easily viewed and navigated across a variety of electronic devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile devices. Other features include a new easy-to-navigate resort calendar that helps users view the variety of events taking place at Palmetto Dunes during their vacation, which can include nearly 30 tennis clinics weekly, along with golf clinics, dining specials, live music, family events at Palmetto Dunes' waterfront Shelter Cove Harbour and others.
2) Online planning resources to make trip planning easy
Indeed, you really don't need more than a phone or a computer to “MacGyver” your next Hilton Head Island golf trip. Don't desire to lug your golf clubs? The Palmetto Dunes Rental Club Program is a far cry from the worn-out, no name sets available elsewhere. Only full sets of the very latest clubs from top brands TaylorMade, Nike, and Cobra are offered to visiting golfers in need of equipment. Or you can ship your clubs directly to our courses with ease using our partner Shipticks. Ground shipping is as low as $39.99.
The new Palmetto Dunes website's interactive map allows users to clearly view and highlight the location of various activities and hubs within the resort, including its three championship golf courses, Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, oceanfront Dunes House restaurant and meeting venue, Hilton Head Outfitters, bike paths, beach access points and more. Viewers can also see where specific neighborhoods and vacation units are located within the resort and their proximity to different activities.
3) Pre-plan the games your group can play while at Palmetto Dunes
During peak times when activities and gear can easily sell out, the ability to quickly reserve your rentals and tee times online in advance helps guests ensure they have access to the activities most important to them. The new website simplifies the vacation preparation process for busy guests and makes it easier to plan their activities and schedule ahead of time.
Golfers can watch virtual flyovers of the three resort golf courses, see maps of each hole and sneak a peek at the immensely popular Robert Trent Jones golf course web cam, watching golfers start and conclude their rounds.
4) Scout out how to play each hole on the free golf mobile app to gain an extra advantage
Always striving to remain ahead of the golf industry curve, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort has created a free golf app for a golfer's smartphone that MacGyver would have loved: The app answers questions in real time such as: “What’s the best way to play this hole? How will I ever get around that sand trap?” Or perhaps, “I’m getting hungry. Wonder where can I get lunch or a cold drink after I get this hole-n-one?”
In addition, golfers can keep track of yardage with the app’s built-in GPS and enter their score into a mobile scorecard that also allows them to engage in live competition with others on their golf buddy trip. Use the app to check information about each hole on each course (par, handicap and playing tips), and when you make that ace, the app makes it easy to brag about it on Facebook.
5) Talk to the group golf planning experts to put the finishing touches on the perfect golf trip
Along with its trio of world-class golf courses, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort features an 11-mile inland salt-water lagoon system, an award-winning tennis center, a Mediterranean-style marina featuring shopping and dining, and an outdoor adventure center for bike rentals, canoes, kayaks, fishing and much more. Earn preferred rates and priority access for golf, tennis bikes and more, along with up to 20% off resort dining and select retail with charging privileges and booking tips from the island experts.
So grab your Swiss Army Knife and make MacGyver proud … along with your friends and family … when you plan your next golf trip to the Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort.
|Get Quick Golf Quote|
Just in time for the holidays, we’ve got some help for your golf woes. If you’ve got a burning question or were always curious about some aspect of your golf game, let our head of golf instruction and former PGA pro Doug Weaver come to the rescue.
Send us your golf questions via Facebook, Twitter or Google + by Dec. 15 and you’ll not only be entered to win 2 of Doug’s instructional golf DVDs, but you’ll get your question answered personally – via video – by Doug!
Doug, who is a US Open record holder, offers many great tips to golfers of all ages in his many videos on our YouTube account, as well as in his free weekly Hilton Head golf demonstration on Mondays and the many Hilton Head golf schools and clinics he leads every week.
Take a look at this recent video from Doug showing you how to put like Rory McIlroy:
His DVDs focus on full swing and the short game, and if you purchase your own copy before Christmas, you will receive a questionnaire and 15-minute phone consult with Doug to help lower your scores and increase your enjoyment of golf. As Doug likes to say “Golf is not an easy game, but it is a game of ease.”
Submit your questions soon and good luck!
In celebration of Father’s Day, we want to recognize dads, especially those who have a love of golf, which is something near and dear to our hearts here at Palmetto Dunes.
As part of our Father’s Day Golf Selfie contest, we’re asking dads to send us a golf selfie or take a picture of your own dad playing golf and submit to us for a chance to win a great golf prize package.
To participate, you can send us your selfie on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Be sure to “tag” Palmetto Dunes via the social network accounts listed below AND use the hashtag #DadGolfSelfie.
Send them now through the day after Father’s Day, as we’ll accept entries until midnight on June 21, 2014. On Sunday, June 22, we’ll announce one random winner on all three social media accounts, as well as right here on our blog.
What do you win?
A golf prize package that includes:
So start snapping selfies on the greens and get in your entries for a chance at MORE golf on beautiful Hilton Head Island!
RULES & RESTRICTIONS
Here on Hilton Head, also known as the “golf island,” we look forward to Heritage Week year-round. One week each spring the island plays host to a PGA golf tournament sponsored by RBC that brings some of the top golf talent to our beautiful town.
Palmetto Dunes hosts lots of visitors in town for the tournament and caters to attendees with a variety of events at our golf courses. Our resort is a great place to get away from the crowds and all the action of the tournament when you need a break.
Here’s a rundown of all the fun events we’ll be hosting April 14-16, all free and all located at the Robert Trent Jones golf course:
Monday, April 14
PING Golf Fitting
9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Try the new line of I25 & G25 products and schedule a fitting by calling 843-686-9137.
"Where does the power come from?” Free Golf Demonstration with Doug Weaver
Golfers are encouraged to ask questions during the hands-on, fully interactive class. The audience size is unlimited.
“Maginnes on Tap” PGA Tour Radio show
Former PGA pro John Maginnes will host his radio show on XM 93/Sirius 208 live.
Tuesday, April 15
TaylorMade Golf Fitting
10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Featuring the new SLDR Family of Drivers, Fairways and Hybrids. Schedule a fitting by calling 843-686-9137.
Nike Golf Demo Day
Try the latest Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 drivers, fairways, hybrids and irons.
Nike Golf Experience with Sterling Sharpe
Golf Demo 2-3 p.m.
Autographs 3-4 p.m.
Sterling Sharpe, a 5-time pro-bowler in the NFL, as well as an avid golfer, will be on hand for a golf demo and signing.
Wednesday, April 16
Cobra Golf Demo Day 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Highlighting the Bio Cell+ Drivers and newly-relaunched Baffler XL family of drivers, fairways and hybrids.
ECCO Comfort Tech golf van
11 a.m.-3 p.m.
The van will showcase the latest in golf footwear.
Will you be in town for the RBC Heritage? Be sure to stop by Palmetto Dunes for one of our golf events or to play a round or two at one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses! Book your tee time right here or call us at 866.380.1778.
We finally made it to spring break! Say goodbye to the bad winter weather and hello to warm sunny South Carolina skies. If you’re headed down our way for spring break, we’ve got some great suggestions for kids to enjoy here at the resort. From golf to swimming to fishing and more, there’s no time for video games or for getting bored here on Hilton Head Island.
Here’s our list of top spring break activities for kids on the island:
What do you think your kids will enjoy the most on their Hilton Head Island spring break?
If you still need assistance booking a Hilton Head vacation villa or would like to book any of the above, please contact us at 866-744-7558.