Oysters are practically a way of life in the Lowcountry! Whether you’re eating them on the half shell, à la Alexander’s, or roasted, there’s no denying that they’re simply delicious. There’s a saying here on Hilton Head Island that any month that contains the letter “r” is oyster season, which means we’re right in the thick of it!
Our local oysters are salty and sweet; with a unique flavor you won’t find anywhere else. Make sure to sample some local oysters the next time you’re at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, and in the meantime, read up on how to shuck an oyster like a pro!
1. Place the oyster curved-side down and find the hinge where the top and bottom shell meet.
2. Wedge your oyster knife into the hinge at a 45-degree angle by wiggling it back and forth and pushing it in until it feels “stuck.” Then continue to wiggle and rotate the knife back and forth until the oyster releases and its shell pops open.
3. Carefully run the oyster knife along the top of the shell to cut the muscle and loosen the meat.
4. Next, run the knife gently underneath the oyster, taking care not to cut the oyster or spill too much of its juice, to release it from the bottom of the shell and clear out any debris or shell fragments.
5. Add your topping of choice, be it a squeeze of lemon or a dash of hot sauce, and enjoy!
What’s your favorite way to eat oysters? What do you think is the best oyster dish on Hilton Head Island? Tell us! And don’t forget to share photos of all of your Hilton Head adventures with the hashtag #PalmettoDunes.