Golf: leisurely and precise, a game for the patient, and around here, played next to spectacular ocean bluffs. Biking through the three Palmetto Dunes courses might seem a little strange, but golf bikes offer a number of advantages over a cart—not least of all that they’re pretty fun to zoom around on.
But there are some less obvious benefits to golf bikes as well. Let’s start with one of the more obvious ones:
1. It’s healthier. We’re not talking about some major workout here, and the Palmetto courses are fairly flat. That lets you concentrate on the golf while burning some calories, and we all know every little bit counts. After a week spent in an office, it makes sense to get up and move around when you travel. Take care of golf and a workout at once and free up some time for dinner or an evening relaxing on the beach.
2. Golf bikes give better access. They can be driven on the greens and the wide wheels mean you can ride easily on grass. There’s no need to get stuck on a busy path and there’s no more trudging after that drive. Just hop on the bike and cruise.
3. These are easy-to-use bikes, designed for golf. Unlike a mountain bike with loads of gears, these bikes are straightforward. The frame is built low to make stepping on and off simple, which also makes acceleration easier. The wide wheels provide good traction and stability and it even carries your clubs on the back.
4. All that peddling means the golf bike is a lot friendlier for our pristine environment here at Palmetto Dunes. Even hybrid golf carts are drawing electricity—a bike gets you around the course (and the rest of Hilton Head Island) without exhaust fumes, noise, or damage to animal habitats. That means breathing the best ocean air while you play.
With paths like this one, just imagine a leisurely cruise down this hill.
5. Did we mention it’s fun? Golf may be a gentleman’s game but there’s no reason not to let your inner child out while on vacation. There’s a thrill to riding a bike and even leisurely exercise releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel happy. And feeling good is the whole point of coming to Palmetto Dunes.
The Palmetto Dunes courses were the first on the East Coast to get the Golf Bikes after the prototype was showcased on the PGA Tour in 2010. The bikes have only been in wide circulation for about a year.
Call to reserve a golf bike when booking a tee time at any Palmetto Dunes golf course. The cost is the same as a golf cart. For more information on Palmetto Dunes resorts and golf packages call 877-567-6513.
What do you get when you cross ping-pong and tennis? America’s fastest growing sport, Pickleball! This game is easy to learn and fun to play and is now available at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Recognized as the “#1 Tennis Center in the Carolinas” by Tennis Magazine and considered one of the best tennis resorts in the country, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center strives to maintain its esteemed reputation by hosting USTA sanctioned tournaments, local charity tennis tournaments, daily round robins, a variety of lessons and clinics, fitness programs, carry the latest in tennis merchandise and apparel and keep up with the latest trends in the tennis world.
The staff at the tennis center was thrilled to learn that everyone from tennis enthusiasts to families were jumping at the opportunity to play this fun sport with a silly name. Now, the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center is home to four pickleball courts, rental equipment and pickleball merchandise. For guests and visitors wanting to give pickleball a shot, pickleball courts can be rented by the hour and rental equipment for a set of four players will only set you back $10. Palmetto Dunes also has a pickleball machine available to rent for those who want to get ahead of the competition.
For those who are interested in learning more about the strokes, strategies and rules of pickleball, Palmetto Dunes offers a beginner’s clinic from 8:30 – 9:30 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings for $20 and on Sunday from 10:00 - 11:00 am. Immediately following this informative and fun lesson from 9:30 – 10:30 am, beginner pickleball round robins allow players to test their skills and master the game of pickleball. Round robin participation is only $10 per player or you can book a “Daily Double” package that includes both the beginner’s clinic and a spot in the round robin for only $25. Palmetto Dunes offers a variety of tennis and pickleball vacation packages for the ultimate Hilton Head Island escape.
Whether you are serious about the game of tennis or looking for something new to try, come visit the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center to see why we think pickleball is such a “BIG DILL”! For more information or to make a pickleball reservation, please call 843-785-1152.