Golf: leisurely and precise, a game for the patient, and around here, played next to spectacular ocean bluffs. Biking through the three Palmetto Dunes courses might seem a little strange, but golf bikes offer a number of advantages over a cart—not least of all that they’re pretty fun to zoom around on.
But there are some less obvious benefits to golf bikes as well. Let’s start with one of the more obvious ones:
1. It’s healthier. We’re not talking about some major workout here, and the Palmetto courses are fairly flat. That lets you concentrate on the golf while burning some calories, and we all know every little bit counts. After a week spent in an office, it makes sense to get up and move around when you travel. Take care of golf and a workout at once and free up some time for dinner or an evening relaxing on the beach.
2. Golf bikes give better access. They can be driven on the greens and the wide wheels mean you can ride easily on grass. There’s no need to get stuck on a busy path and there’s no more trudging after that drive. Just hop on the bike and cruise.
3. These are easy-to-use bikes, designed for golf. Unlike a mountain bike with loads of gears, these bikes are straightforward. The frame is built low to make stepping on and off simple, which also makes acceleration easier. The wide wheels provide good traction and stability and it even carries your clubs on the back.
4. All that peddling means the golf bike is a lot friendlier for our pristine environment here at Palmetto Dunes. Even hybrid golf carts are drawing electricity—a bike gets you around the course (and the rest of Hilton Head Island) without exhaust fumes, noise, or damage to animal habitats. That means breathing the best ocean air while you play.
With paths like this one, just imagine a leisurely cruise down this hill.
5. Did we mention it’s fun? Golf may be a gentleman’s game but there’s no reason not to let your inner child out while on vacation. There’s a thrill to riding a bike and even leisurely exercise releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel happy. And feeling good is the whole point of coming to Palmetto Dunes.
The Palmetto Dunes courses were the first on the East Coast to get the Golf Bikes after the prototype was showcased on the PGA Tour in 2010. The bikes have only been in wide circulation for about a year.
Call to reserve a golf bike when booking a tee time at any Palmetto Dunes golf course. The cost is the same as a golf cart. For more information on Palmetto Dunes resorts and golf packages call 877-567-6513.