Hilton Head Island is simply stunning at this time of year, and we love following your fall adventures! If you’re staying at Palmetto Dunes, tag your Instagram photos with #PalmettoDunes. From golf games to beach strolls to wedding vows, you’ve shared some amazing photos with us this month. Here are five of our favorites:
Despite some weather woes this October, the beaches at Palmetto Dunes remained stunning and inviting. @rebeccainclt shared a great video of her kids running into the water and we love it! Palmetto Dunes really is the ultimate family destination.
There’s no better way to get around Hilton Head Island than by bike, and we love this photo @calipowders shared from her morning beach bike ride! Rent a bike for your Palmetto Dunes stay from Hilton Head Outfitters - you can even reserve online!
In case you’ve forgotten just how unbelievably beautiful Palmetto Beach is, @lucymalsmom shared an amazing photo to remind you.
Of course, the beach isn’t the only destination for waterside adventure. @lafranchise12 shared this photo of a perfectly still lagoon at sunrise. Kayaks and canoes are perfect for exploring our incredible lagoon system!
We’re proud to offer pet-friendly rental accommodations for you and your furry friend, and we love seeing photos of you and your dog enjoying Palmetto Dunes, like this one shared by @antdeedee.
Check back for more great photography and Palmetto Dunes news, and don’t forget to follow us on Instagram at Instagram.com/palmettodunessc.
Palmetto Dunes is the perfect place to vacation, whether you love to sit back and relax or are an outdoor adventure junkie! Here’s our list of Palmetto Dunes adventures that you cannot miss.
Whether you’re looking to try fishing for the first time, or are an adept angler, you’re sure to have an unforgettable time sport fishing off the coast of Hilton Head Island. Sea bass, mackerel, barracuda, red fish and even sharks have been caught on our fishing expeditions! Head to Shelter Cove Marina to set off on your fishing adventure.
Explore the ‘Outback’ by Kayak
If you think Hilton Head Island is beautiful on land, wait until you’ve seen it from the water. Rent a kayak and head out to explore the 11-miles of lagoons on the island. Or, if you’re feeling truly adventurous, why not take advantage of our Outback tour, where you’ll head to Page Island, a stunning secluded area that will put you right in the thick of Hilton Head wildlife.
Make a Splash
Now that you’ve been out on the water, it’s time to try skimming on top of it! Grab the family or a group of friends to board the Centurion for a day full of wakrboarding, wakesurfing, wakeskating, waterskiing, kneeboarding and tubing. Just call the Shelter Cove Marina Ship’s Store at 843-842-7001 to book your adventure today.
Hit the Surf
Learn to hang ten with professional instructors at the Hilton Head Outfitters’ Surf School! You’ll be ready to brave the waves after our 90 minute session and then it’s time to get out there and catch a few! Already know the basics? You can rent surfboards from Hilton Head Outfitters too.
It’s no secret that bikes are the best way to get around Hilton Head Island. Make your own adventure by renting a bike and hitting the road. See what wildlife you can spot, whether it’s dolphins off shore, pelicans on the beach, gators in a lagoon, or deer in a field. When you’re biking around Hilton Head Island, you never know what you’ll discover next!
So what are you waiting for? Plan your trip to Palmetto Dunes, and let the adventure begin!
Over the last month, we had several travel bloggers visit the resort with their families and they blew up social media with all the fun they had! We wanted to share a recap of their families’ activities and outings to give you an idea of what you and your family can enjoy the next time you’re on the island.
For this post, we wanted to share the adventures of Malise Terrell with Carolina Mama and her family of four, including two teenage boys, who visited in early November. They were pleased to find weather warm enough (68 degrees!) for several dips in the ocean.
The Terrells enjoy tennis, so they decided that some evening tennis court time would be just what they needed after their drive from North Carolina. Their family played after dark on our lighted courts, which just require a token from the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center to operate.
They also headed to the beach with some fishing rental gear from Hilton Head Outfitters to see what they could reel in. No catches this time, but they enjoyed the view and the time together!
Biking was a top activity for the family, using Hilton Head bike rentals also from Hilton Head Outfitters, which were waiting for them when they arrived at their vacation villa. The crew took a ride down the beach and up to the beachfront Dunes House, as well as explored the resort.
The Terrell family loved their Hilton Head vacation rental and Mom was especially fond of her comfy chair and quiet spot for reading, as well as the gorgeous master bath at newly-renovated 714 Barrington Park just a short walk from the beach.
Of course, our favorite picture had to be the boys holding light sabers on the beach, perfect timing with all the talk of the new Star Wars trailer and very controversial new light saber!
Follow Malise on Instagram to see all of her pics and call us at 866-650-4130 to book your own family getaway to Palmetto Dunes!
If you’re visiting Hilton Head Island prior to the holidays, be sure to take advantage of our many unique boutiques and shops that you don’t have back home. Whether you have golfers or tennis players in your family or you’re just looking for a one-of-a-kind gift, you’ve got plenty to choose from when it comes to Hilton Head shopping.
1. Nash Gallery – Art lovers will be in heaven browsing this Shelter Cove art gallery. Featuring work from North American artists, you’ll find pieces made from metal, wood and glass, as well as ceramics and even jewelry.
2. Ship’s Store – The Shelter Cove Marina Ship’s Store features all things nautical in apparel, accessories and anything you’d need for a day out on the boat. Tervis Tumblers make great gift items, along with stylish nautical belts, Guy Harvey shirts and Sperry Topsiders.
3. Taffeta – Get your best friends the latest fashions from Europe at Taffeta in Shelter Cove. The clothing boutique specializes in styles from France and Italy for both special occasions and casual wear.
4. Neptune’s Niche – Lowcountry is the theme at this store named after the iconic Statue of Neptune at Shelter Cove. The shop carries works from local artists, including glassware, woodwork, pottery, ironwork and textiles.
5. Seasons – The latest boutique to open at Shelter Cove, Seasons offers women’s apparel, accessories, jewelry and other gift items. You’re likely to find a hot pair of pumps and a gorgeous necklace for your most stylish friends here.
6. Camp Hilton Head – Need a Hilton Head souvenir or casual apparel like T-shirts and hats? Camp Hilton Head at Shelter Cove says they are your vacation headquarters. Give your friends and family a little taste of Hilton Head with items from this unique boutique.
7. Christmas on the Harbour – Celebrate Christmas island style at this pretty little store at Shelter Cove. Not only do they have Department 56 houses, Christopher Radko blown Polish glass, Jim Shore Collectibles and nativities, you’ll also find plenty of one-of-a-kind Hilton Head-themed gift items. Doesn’t everyone need a Hilton Head ornament for their tree?
8. Palmetto Dunes Golf Pro Shops – Golfers will delight in any of our three Hilton Head golf pro shops. For Nike lovers, the Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop is one of only six Nike Concept Shops in the country. Find clubs, accessories, apparel and equipment for all your golf needs.
9. Palmetto Dunes Tennis Pro Shop – Palmetto Dunes also caters to tennis players with thousands passing through the resort every year. Our Hilton Head tennis pro shop offers the latest name-brand apparel and racquets, as well as Solarbat Leverage™ sunglasses, racquet covers, bags and other fun tennis gift items.
10. Hilton Head Outfitters – For the adventure lover, head to Hilton Head Outfitters for gift ideas. Inside you’ll find surfing, biking, paddleboarding and kayaking equipment and accessories, as well as T-shirts and sweatshirts, fishing gear, jewelry, sunglasses and more.
Did we cover everyone on your gift list this year?!
For more information about visiting Palmetto Dunes this holiday season, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
It’s getting to be that time of year where the cold weather up north drives lots of people down south for our mild, sunny winters. To escape the cold and snow, many of our visitors stay for several weeks or months at a time. To cater to those guests, we offer a variety of sports memberships to make playing golf, tennis or more a daily activity and easier on the wallet.
Fall and winter are the ideal months to play golf with less hot and humid weather and less crowded courses. We offer 30-day golf memberships starting at $650/person and $1080/couple to make sure you get in all the playing time you can handle when visiting us for a longer Hilton Head vacation. You get access to all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses, as well as discounts in our golf pro shops, grills and ranges. You can add additional days on a pro-rated basis.
If you visit Hilton Head Island frequently or are a full-time resident, consider our annual golf membership for a $430 yearly fee per person. This affords you 24-hour advanced tee time reservations and member 18-hole rates, including green fees and cart fees. You also receive discounts in our golf pro shops, grills and ranges with this membership.
Monthly Bike Passes
Hilton Head Island is a fantastic island to see on two wheels. Plus, you’ll bypass traffic while getting exercise at the same time. To help you along, we offer monthly bike passes starting at just $49.99 so you can do all the pedaling you’d like. We even have the bikes waiting for you at your Hilton Head vacation rental upon your arrival and pick up them upon your departure.
Kayak and Canoe Rentals
Sign up for Hilton Head Outfitters’ annual memberships and get unlimited access to kayak and canoe rentals for navigating our 11-mile inland lagoon. With the Hilton Head Outfitters’ annual membership, you also get 10% off all other equipment rentals, such as paddle boards, beach chairs, jogging strollers and more. These memberships are $199 for one person and $299 for two people.
Monthly Sports Membership
If all of the above sounds great to you, consider our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership, which gets you 30-days of accommodations, as well as unlimited golf, Hilton Head bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time per day, starting at $1459 per person. This package is available Nov. 1, 2014-Feb. 28, 2015.
We also offer monthly and annual memberships for tennis aficionados. Call 866-306-4330 for rates.
Which of these memberships floats your boat? Will we see you on your bike or on the courts for a month or more this fall or winter?
For more information about any of these options, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
Stay a Month or More with Palmetto Dunes’ Long-Term Hilton Head Sports Memberships
Fall is a special time here in the Lowcountry for many reasons, the weather is better, the crowds thin...and the bull redfish swarm inshore waters. The bulls, 20 pounds upwards to the 50 pound mark are here or offshore all year, but this time of year they come close in big numbers with catches of 20 or more fish in a trip not at all uncommon.
The strength of these fish is incredible, rivaling any other fish its size short of an amberjack or tuna. I usually fish heaby spinning reels with 50 pound braid and even with a heavy drag they will strip line off at an alarming pace, and do it several times in a battle. I have fished lighter tackle but the lengthly battle takes a toll on these big fish and they must be released, the law being everything over 23 inches must be returned to the water.
The smaller redfish also invade the creeks this time of year offering the best light tackle sport available. Shrimp, live or dead, cut mullet and menhaden all are favorite baits when fishing inshore. The "slot" or keeper size is 15-23 inches and by SC law you may keep three fish per person. Not only are redfish a blast to catch, but they are delicious. Before Chef Pail Prudhomme introduced "blackened redfish" these fish were locally known as spot tail bass or puppy drum. Officially, their proper name is red drum. Coloration is usually a deep burnt orange or copper across the back with a single spot at the base of the tail. Some fish have multiple spots from the tail to the middle of the fish. A strong and broad tail and thick shoulders give it all the horsepower it needs to make your day.
Good conservation and our local mariculture center have provided some of the best stocks of redfish I have seen in forty years of fishing this area. Al Stokes and his crew at the Mariculture Center have been boosting the local population with their work for years. The proof is in the pudding whether you want to light tackles redfish in the creeks or chase the big bulls, now is the perfect time.
Are you considering a Hilton Head vacation soon? Let us help you plan the perfect getaway that fits your hobbies and interests. At Palmetto Dunes, we offer so many activities from fishing to biking and from tennis to golf that you’ll be hard pressed not to find something you’ll love. Here are 5 great ways to vacation at Palmetto Dunes:
1. Tennis Getaways – If you “love” tennis, we’ve got all sorts of fun packages and activities for you. With the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which sees thousands of visitors every year, you can find clinics, round robins, equipment demonstrations, tennis tournaments and more. We offer tennis vacation packages that include instruction and tennis court time and are even tailored to large groups. If you really love tennis, consider ourExtreme Tennis Vacation!
2. For the Outdoor Lover – There’s so much to do outdoors at Palmetto Dunes and so much beauty to see. The Outdoor Adventure packagerolls the best of our outdoor activities all into one with at least three nights of accommodations in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, kayak rentals, a dolphin cruise, Hilton Head bike rentalsand tennis court time daily.
3. Romance in Bloom – Looking for a romantic getaway for just the two of you? We offer several romance packages like our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration that include spa treatments, bike rentals, kayak rentals and more.
4. Golfers Delight – Get your best golf buddies together and play all three of our championship golf courses, each uniquely challenging. Our golf vacation packages include instruction time, accommodations and tee times, and be sure to take advantage of our free club fittings and free golf demo on Mondays at 4 p.m. at the Robert Trent Jones course.
5. Family Fun – Got kids? We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Our Ultimate Family package and Sun ‘N Fun Island escape are uniquely designed to entertain all ages down to our smallest guests. Kids will find lots to do at the resort like family tees at our golf courses, junior tennis clinics and round robins, fishing, crabbing and summer Surf School just to name a few.
What kind of Hilton Head package sounds like the perfect fit for your vacation? If we can answer any questions or tailor any package to better fit your needs, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.