When you're planning your annual beach trip, you want everything to go just perfectly so you'll have wonderful family memories for years to come. But with kids of different ages and sometimes grandparents along for the trip, too the planning part can be slightly challenging.
Here are 8 secrets from the staff at Palmetto Dunes for planning the perfect family beach vacation:
1. Choose a villa or home rental
Over and over we hear from families who stay at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort how much they love staying in our Hilton Head vacation rentals and homes. Families can spread out instead of being cramped in a hotel room and enjoy some down time between activities. Plus, you have access to a full kitchen and a washer and dryer, which makes packing so much easier.
2. Reserve early
Be sure to reserve your Hilton Head beach vacation as soon as you can to ensure you get your first choice of Hilton Head vacation rentals, as well as the best rates. That also goes for our Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, tee times at our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and more, especially during busier seasons.
3. Sign up for our emails
Looking for a deal? You're sure to find the best ones if you subscribe to our emails. We regularly share inside tips and savings just for our past guests and subscribers. You'll be the first to know about the latest offers and events at the resort.
4. Check the events calendar
Before you arrive – or even plan your vacation – check to see what's going on at the resort on our events calendar. We have activities year-round, but if you have a specific event or activities for a certain age group in mind, you can plan your visit around that schedule. During summer, enjoy HarbourFest at Shelter Cove, and during spring and fall, there's Music & Taste on the Harbour. We also regularly host golf and tennis clinics, summer surfing lessons, live music at the oceanfront Dunes House restaurantand more.
5. Don't over-schedule
When you come to Hilton Head Island, there's so much to do, you can wear yourself out! We highly recommend choosing just one main activity per day, such as golf, tennis, a nature cruise or kayaking, and allowing plenty of time for relaxing at your vacation home or villa. That's what makes it a vacation!
6. Get bikes
Hilton Head Island is the perfect place to ride your Hilton Head bike rentals. With 50 miles of paved paths to explore, there's always somewhere new to go. You'll be happy you're not sitting in traffic, and you'll get a firsthand view of our beautiful scenery. Plus, you're getting exercise, too! Safely ride to the Dunes House, the General Store, the Tennis Center or any of our 3 golf courses within Palmetto Dunes. You can also pedal through our safe passageway under the highway to Shelter Cove Harbour.
7. Learn a new skill
Why not come back from vacation with a new skill? Palmetto Dunes offers ample opportunity for learning a new skill or sport. Take a class at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy, hone your golf skills at our three varied golf courses, each of which has been named the South Carolina course of the year, or take a lesson at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Learn to surf during the summer with our Hilton Head surfing lessons or take a Hilton Head fishing charter and learn how to fish from the Lowcountry experts. Crabbing is another great activity for all ages!
8. Go grocery shopping
Since you're staying in a vacation home or villa, you have access to a full kitchen, and it's incredibly handy to be able to pop back for a snack or enjoy breakfast in the villa before you head out for the day. Head to the new Kroger or Whole Foods close by upon your arrival or use a Hilton Head grocery shopping service like Hopper Shopper or Grocery Run and have your rental stocked before you even arrive!
What are your tips for a great beach vacation? We want to hear them!
For more information about booking your family beach vacation at Palmetto Dunes, visit www.palmettodunes.com or give us a call at 866-650-4130.
What’s your favorite resort in the south? We hope it’s Palmetto Dunes! It seems that it is for many of you, as Conde Nast Traveler just announced we landed at No. 13 on their Reader’s Choice Top 25 Resorts in the South. South Carolina dominated the list with seven resorts, including us, represented.
For the Reader’s Choice Awards, Conde Nast Traveler asked nearly 77,000 readers to vote on their favorite cities, hotels, resorts and cruise lines to help inspire others about the best places to travel around the world.
To determine the rankings for the awards, which began back in 1988, the magazine hires a research firm to tabulate the results. In order to be eligible for an award, a candidate must receive a minimum number of responses.
Readers are asked to judge each individual candidate on a set of criteria relevant to their category, based on a standard five-point scale: excellent, very good, good, fair and poor. The mean average determines the final score and thus ranking.
Why is Palmetto Dunes a top U.S. resort? Let us count the ways! Golf, tennis, 3 miles of beach, a beautiful inland lagoon system, shopping, dining, fishing, kayaking, bike riding and the list goes on…
Why do you think Palmetto Dunes is one of the best resorts in the south?
If you’ve got some folks in your family who simply adore Hilton Head, why not give them a little taste of the island as their holiday gift? We’ve got 5 ideas for the Hilton Head lovers in your life:
1. Golf flag – For the golfers in your family, why not give them a fun reminder of their rounds at Palmetto Dunes? Come shop in one of our Hilton Head golf pro shops for a flag with the name of one of our golf courses or we’re happy to ship it to you. Why not reserve them a future golf round, as well?
2. Beach-themed ornament – Christmas tree ornaments can be fun reminders of people and places near and dear to your heart. That’s why you should have an ornament representing Hilton Head on your tree. The Palmetto Dunes General Store always has some cute ones in stock – be it Santa riding an alligator or climbing a palm tree J.
3. Hilton Head vacation – Want to see the family go bananas on Christmas morning? Let them unwrap a gift that tells them they’ll be vacationing to Hilton Head Island next spring or summer! Go ahead and book your Hilton Head vacation home and include a few pictures for them to ogle along with a sample itinerary of biking, golfing, playing tennis, kayaking, fishing and more!
4. Palmetto Dunes logoed gear – Our new online store makes it easy to order something and have it sent direct to you without ever having to step outside the door. Choose from a variety of apparel all printed with the Palmetto Dunes logo, including fleece jackets, hats, polos and even robes.
5. Palmetto Dunes Gift Card – For the people you just don’t know what to get, why not a Palmetto Dunes gift card? They can use it at any-resort owned property for goods and services, such as accommodations for vacation rentals, meals at the Dunes House or Big Jim’s, rounds of golf, tennis lessons, bike rentals or even surfing lessons next summer! Buy online.
Which of these Hilton Head Island gifts would you like the most this holiday season? Do you think your family would enjoy receiving them?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head vacation or ship gift items direct to your doorstep, give us a call at 866-650-4130.
While many plan their beach getaways during the busier spring and summer seasons, we think fall and winter is the perfect time for seaside retreat, especially with your significant other!
As the weather gets cool up north, it’s incredibly uplifting and refreshing to head to warmer climes, even if just for a brief respite. It can lift the spirits and give you endurance to make it through the rest of the cold winter months!
Hilton Head Island and Palmetto Dunes make for great winter and holiday escapes for couples. Plan to take a long weekend away from the kids during holiday break or any weekend you can get away. Just picture in your mind’s eye strolls on the beach, waterfront gourmet meals, and long bike rides, stopping to have a picnic under the palms.
Palmetto Dunes offers many activities for couples. Choose from any or all of the below:
1. A round of golf at any of our 3 championshipHilton Head golf courses
2. 2 hours of complimentary tennis court time daily with a Palmetto Dunes vacation home or villa
3. Golf or tennis lessons
4. Paddle our 11-mile inland lagoon system in a double kayak or canoe from Hilton Head Outfitters
5. Rent bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters and explore the 50 miles of paved paths on Hilton Head Island
6. Have a massage or Hilton Head spa service at Ocean Tides Spa at the Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort or Spa Soleil at Hilton Head Marriot Resort and Spa
7. Enjoy a gourmet meal with a waterfront view at Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina. Choose from restaurants ranging from French and Italian to Mediterranean and Mexican.
We offer a variety of romance packages that combine accommodations with many of these activities. For more information about a couples’ holiday getaway, visit www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-650-4130.
Fall is a special time here in the Lowcountry for many reasons, the weather is better, the crowds thin...and the bull redfish swarm inshore waters. The bulls, 20 pounds upwards to the 50 pound mark are here or offshore all year, but this time of year they come close in big numbers with catches of 20 or more fish in a trip not at all uncommon.
The strength of these fish is incredible, rivaling any other fish its size short of an amberjack or tuna. I usually fish heaby spinning reels with 50 pound braid and even with a heavy drag they will strip line off at an alarming pace, and do it several times in a battle. I have fished lighter tackle but the lengthly battle takes a toll on these big fish and they must be released, the law being everything over 23 inches must be returned to the water.
The smaller redfish also invade the creeks this time of year offering the best light tackle sport available. Shrimp, live or dead, cut mullet and menhaden all are favorite baits when fishing inshore. The "slot" or keeper size is 15-23 inches and by SC law you may keep three fish per person. Not only are redfish a blast to catch, but they are delicious. Before Chef Pail Prudhomme introduced "blackened redfish" these fish were locally known as spot tail bass or puppy drum. Officially, their proper name is red drum. Coloration is usually a deep burnt orange or copper across the back with a single spot at the base of the tail. Some fish have multiple spots from the tail to the middle of the fish. A strong and broad tail and thick shoulders give it all the horsepower it needs to make your day.
Good conservation and our local mariculture center have provided some of the best stocks of redfish I have seen in forty years of fishing this area. Al Stokes and his crew at the Mariculture Center have been boosting the local population with their work for years. The proof is in the pudding whether you want to light tackles redfish in the creeks or chase the big bulls, now is the perfect time.
Afraid Hilton Head Island prices are beyond your reach? Think again! Palmetto Dunes, especially in the off season, which includes the holidays, may be more economical than you thought.
From October 2014-March 2015, we have rates for a two-bedroom resort view villa starting at only $159/night! And unlike a traditional hotel room, you get a full villa with many of the amenities of home like a full kitchen and dining area and a washer/dryer, which makes packing so much easier. Our villas also have TVs, wireless Internet access and many have porches, balconies or decks to enjoy Lowcountry views, as well as gyms, pools and elevators. Additional bedrooms and ocean views are available for a higher starting rate.
Plus, when you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you get even more value for your nightly rate, including two free hours of tennis daily and 20% off resort dining and items at select retail outlets. Our guests also receive preferred rates and priority access to our three championship Hilton Head golf courses and golf lessons, Hilton Head tennis clinics, Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, fishing charters and more.
Got a pooch who wants to join you at the beach? No problem! We offer several Hilton Head pet-friendly accommodations during this season.
Always dreamed of spending the holidays watching the waves crash after your turkey dinner or opening gifts? These prices remain the same during Thanksgiving or the December holiday break, too – an amazing deal!
Fall and winter are wonderful seasons to visit the island with much milder temperatures than you’ll find up north and all the same fun Lowcountry activities available. Take a look at our recent blog on 7 Fall Activities to do on Hilton Head Island.
Let us know if we can get that $159/night rate locked in for you and your family! Give us a ring at 866-650-4130 and browse our Hilton Head vacation rentals to find the perfect vacation home for your visit.
If you love the calmness of the lagoon or if fishing tops your list when you visit Hilton Head Island, you may want to consider this lovely Hilton Head vacation home. This oasis is located at 71 Off Shore withinPalmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Situated right on the lagoon, where you can literally pop out your door and drop your fishing pole in the water, 71 Off Shore is a 4-bedroom, 3-bathroom home away from home.
It comes with its own dock right behind the home, where you’ll also find a refreshing pool for a dip after a day in the Carolina sunshine. The outdoor area features a gas grill, as well as a patio table and chairs with an umbrella so you can enjoy the wonderful lagoon view and Lowcountry scenery.
Step inside to find a fully-equipped and updated kitchen along with a large living area, overlooking the lagoon and pool. You’ll also find flat screen TVs, should you need a rest on the couch after a day of activity on Hilton Head Island.
There are four bedrooms, two with king beds, one with 2 twin beds and a fourth with 1 queen bed. You’ll also enjoy a washer/dryer if you need to give your swimsuits a spin during your trip, as well as, cable TV and wireless Internet access.
When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you enjoy the best rates and special discounts for activities and dining within the resort. All guests receive two hours of free tennis court time daily, as well as, discounts and access to the oceanfront Dunes House, Big Jim’s restaurant, the best rates on tee times, as well as kayaking, bike rentals and more. Palmetto Dunes is also centrally located, putting you within a few minutes drive to all sides of the island.
To book 71 Off Shore for your next Hilton Head Island vacation, give us a call at 866-650-4130.
One of the best things about Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is the opportunity for golfers to experience three 18-hole championship Hilton Head golf courses all at one resort with first tees no more than 5 minutes apart. Designers Robert Trent Jones, George Fazio and Arthur Hills all have established golf courses at our resort and each offers a unique playing experience for the golf lover.
Robert Trent Jones Golf Course
The Jones course is perhaps best known for its oceanfront setting with one of only two oceanfront holes on the entire island. Its layout is immaculate and stunning in its beauty and the view from the famed 10th green is not one that will soon be forgotten (we’ve even had weddings there!). Jones plays away from the clubhouse until it reaches its famed back-to-back par-5s that play out to the ocean. It’s also known to have the most accommodating fairways of the trio of courses, though keep in mind you might lose a ball or two as the course winds its way over the resort’s inland lagoon system.
George Fazio Golf Course
We hear a lot that the Fazio course is the most challenging of our courses. It offers the island’s only par-70 layout, whose long par-4s, elevated greens and deep bunkers will test all facets of your game. Known as a great course for “faders” of the golf ball, the Fazio course features a unique double green at 11 and 16 that gives you a peek at what many experts believe is the toughest finishing stretch of holes on the island. These are a Fantastic Four featuring three par-4s over 400 yards from the white tees and a par-3 just a step less than 190.
Arthur Hills Golf Course
Lastly, you’ll find our Hills course, which is as much a tour of a wildlife sanctuary (keep your eye out for waterfowl and an alligator here or there) as a round of golf with its natural beauty. There are those who say they could play the Hills Course every day and never play it the same way twice with the diversity of strategies presented. PGA Tour star Bryce Molder shot a course-record 60 here while in college, while Tiger Woods took an 8 at the signature 17th, a par-4 that requires a drive and an approach over and around one of the many lagoons on the layout.
At all three courses, you’ll find five sets of tees, including family tees, to create an enjoyable, yet challenging round to players of all skill levels. You’ll also find three different putting surfaces: Champion Bermuda on the Jones Course, shade-tolerant Diamond Zoysia on the Fazio and TifDwarf Bermuda on the Hills Course.
Which of the courses will you take on? Do you dare try all three and 54 holes on one visit?! Let us know if you take the challenge and how you did!
You just can’t head to the beach without a good book! We’ve picked some of the latest books from our favorite best-selling authors who either live in or write about the Lowcountry to give you the perfect beach read list for your visit to Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Hurricane Sisters: A Novel by Dorothea Benton Frank – A very popular writer and New York Times bestselling author, Dorothea Benton Frank tells another Lowcountry tale, this time focusing on three generations of women and the “hurricanes” in each of their lives.
2) The Stories We Tell by Patti Callahan Henry – In this southern tale to be released on June 24, Henry follows the drama of a fictional Savannah power couple and their family.
3) The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe – The latest from Mary Alice Monroe, and the second in the Lowcountry Summer Trilogy, “The Summer Wind” continues the heartwarming story of three half-sisters and their grandmother as they rediscover their Southern roots and family bonds.
4) The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd – Selected for Oprah’s Book Club, “The Invention of Wings” by “The Secret Life of Bees” author Sue Monk Kidd chronicles the life of an urban slave in 19th century Charleston and the daughter of the wealthy family for whom she serves as a waiting maid.
5) Return to Tradd Street by Karen White – Debuting on the New York Times bestsellers list at No. 6, “Return to Tradd Street” takes place in Charleston and offers an element of the paranormal. It tells of a new mother, who happens to be a psychic, and the mystery of a ghostly infant crying.
What book are you most looking forward to reading this summer?
If we can help you plan your Hilton Head Island vacation to our 3 miles of beautiful beach, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.
Are you considering a Hilton Head vacation soon? Let us help you plan the perfect getaway that fits your hobbies and interests. At Palmetto Dunes, we offer so many activities from fishing to biking and from tennis to golf that you’ll be hard pressed not to find something you’ll love. Here are 5 great ways to vacation at Palmetto Dunes:
1. Tennis Getaways – If you “love” tennis, we’ve got all sorts of fun packages and activities for you. With the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which sees thousands of visitors every year, you can find clinics, round robins, equipment demonstrations, tennis tournaments and more. We offer tennis vacation packages that include instruction and tennis court time and are even tailored to large groups. If you really love tennis, consider ourExtreme Tennis Vacation!
2. For the Outdoor Lover – There’s so much to do outdoors at Palmetto Dunes and so much beauty to see. The Outdoor Adventure packagerolls the best of our outdoor activities all into one with at least three nights of accommodations in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, kayak rentals, a dolphin cruise, Hilton Head bike rentalsand tennis court time daily.
3. Romance in Bloom – Looking for a romantic getaway for just the two of you? We offer several romance packages like our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration that include spa treatments, bike rentals, kayak rentals and more.
4. Golfers Delight – Get your best golf buddies together and play all three of our championship golf courses, each uniquely challenging. Our golf vacation packages include instruction time, accommodations and tee times, and be sure to take advantage of our free club fittings and free golf demo on Mondays at 4 p.m. at the Robert Trent Jones course.
5. Family Fun – Got kids? We love kids here at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Our Ultimate Family package and Sun ‘N Fun Island escape are uniquely designed to entertain all ages down to our smallest guests. Kids will find lots to do at the resort like family tees at our golf courses, junior tennis clinics and round robins, fishing, crabbing and summer Surf School just to name a few.
What kind of Hilton Head package sounds like the perfect fit for your vacation? If we can answer any questions or tailor any package to better fit your needs, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 866-650-4130.