If you’re looking to improve your tennis game, you’ve come to the right place. With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center every year and more than 40 different Hilton Head tennis clinics available every week March through October, we know how to help you better your skills.
Wondering how you can stay in shape during your Hilton Head Island vacation? It’s a breeze! Even if you take a break from your regular exercise video or weight lifting routine during your trip, you can still get in some great entire body workouts by simply enjoying the great outdoors around our island.
Here are 5 fantastic ways to stay fit on Hilton Head Island:
1. Run on the beach – Do you regularly run your neighborhood at home or perhaps a local park? On Hilton Head Island, we’ve got an even better view: the Atlantic Ocean! Head out in the morning before it heats up and keep your eye out for dolphins. You won’t even realize you’re out of breath!
2. Ride a bike – We offer Hilton Head bike rentals for your convenience if you’re flying to the area or don’t want to drive down with your own bike. Hilton Head Island offers 50 miles of paved bike paths – 5 miles within our resort that have just been redone -- for you to explore the beauty of the Lowcountry.
3. Stand up Paddleboarding – One of the fastest growing watersports, stand up paddleboarding, or SUP, is a great full body workout that requires lots of balance and core strength. Paddle the waves in the Atlantic or Shelter Cove’s Broad Creek and enjoy the scenery. Hilton Head Outfitters has these special boards for rent. You can even try yoga on a stand up paddleboard with classes offered by Outside Hilton Head.
4. Go surfing – If you don’t know how to surf, attend our 90-minute Surf Camp offered Monday through Friday during the summer to learn the basics. Then rent a board from Hilton Head Outfitters and hang 10!
5. Play tennis – Tennis is a great cardio workout and we offer guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through us two hours of free tennis court time daily. If that’s not quite enough of a workout for you, try our Hilton Head cardio tennis class for a real heart-pumping workout.
How do you stay fit while on vacation?
When you’re returning a serve in doubles, your main goal should be to keep the person on the other side of the net from returning a winning shot. Brian Kiggans, head golf pro at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, says you should always view the return serve as a set-up shot.
To do this effectively, you need a plan. “You should already know where you are wanting the return to be directed before your opponent serves the ball,” says Kiggans. “You should have a plan on the forehand side and on the backhand side (or the same for both).”
According to Kiggans, you have three main choices when returning:
“For example, if John Doe is serving to me, I have preprogrammed my mind that if the ball comes to my forehand I am going to return crosscourt back to the server. If it comes to my backhand, I am going lob over the net person,” says Kiggans. “This is my plan and I am sticking with it no matter what is happening on the other side of the net. If the serve is really difficult to handle and I can’t execute my plan, I just do my best to get the ball back in play.”
You should also plan the action you’re going to take after the return is made as to whether you are going to the net or staying back. Says Kiggans, “For example, I have planned to return crosscourt if the ball comes to my forehand and follow it to the net if it comes to my backhand. I am going down the line and staying back.”
In conclusion, planning ahead is one of the most important things you can do when returning serve and in life!
Get more information Hilton Head tennis clinics and lessons on our website or by calling us at 866-650-4130.
Our Hilton Head golf and tennis pro shops offer a variety of apparel and accessories for women for golf, tennis and even every day wear. One of our biggest sellers is locally-based Spartina 449. Their scarves and bags are a big hit with our female shoppers. Try one of their latest patterns for a gift Mom can wear all spring and summer.
The Annika Paramount Collection from Cutter & Buck is another classy choice for ladies who love to golf. It’s designed to be feminine yet sporty and utilizes the latest breakthroughs in fabric for maximum comfort for women on the move. In hues of blue, green and yellow, it makes a fashion statement on the greens.
Since we just opened our brand new online apparel store, you can also gift Mom with a Palmetto Dunes logoed item. How about a visor, polo or comfy robe? Choose from a variety of colors and styles and select your favorite Palmetto Dunes logo.
If you’re not exactly sure what your mom would like best, why not give her a Palmetto Dunes gift card? Order by the Wednesday before Mother’s Day to ensure on-time arrival. The card is redeemable at all point-of-sale locations around the resort and is good for accommodations, golf, tennis, bike rentals, Big Jim’s restaurant, the Dunes House and more.
Lastly, if Mom likes to while away hours on Pinterest, be sure to share our Pinterest board showcasing 10 Activities for Moms at Palmetto Dunes with her. Go ahead… let her dream of the beach, or better yet, bring her for a stay with us this spring or summer. Give us a ring at 866-650-4130.
With the arrival of spring comes lots of Hilton Head tennis tournaments at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. It’s the perfect time of year to play with mild temperatures, sunny Carolina skies and beautiful flowers around every corner.
This year the tennis center is hosting several closed tournaments that are open to spectators, as well as plenty that are open to men’s/women’s singles, doubles and combo mixed. The only summer month without a tournament is July, but you’re of course still welcome to enjoy our two hours complimentary tennis court time daily with your Palmetto Dunes vacation rental, take one of our many Hilton Head tennis clinics offered daily or join in our weekly round robins for adults or juniors.
The next tennis tournament coming up is the USTA South Carolina 55 and 75 and Over Championships May 1-5. While this tournament is closed, spectators are welcome!
The following weekend is our Smash T1D Team Tennis Challenge May 9-11, benefitting the No More Diabetes Foundation. The round robin format is open to men’s/women’s singles, doubles and combo mixed. The cost is $50/player and includes two complimentary drinks, Saturday’s lunch, breakfast both Saturday and Sunday, and a tournament T-shirt. You can register to play here.
On May 24, we’ll host the Meals on Wheels Round Robin tournament benefitting Meals on Wheels of Bluffton-Hilton Head in memory of Don Grider, TAHHI Senior and Super Senior Men’s Coordinator. This Hilton Head tennis tournament is open to men’s/women’s doubles 55 and above 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5, as well as 18 and above 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0. The cost to participate is $25 for TAHHI members or $35 for nonmembers and includes beer/soda and a reception and happy hour from 4:30-6:30 p.m. Sign up to play here.
In June, we’ll host our popular annual Banana Open tennis tournament June 6-8. This fun event is open to men’s/women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles. Presented by the Honor our Heroes Foundation, the event supports our military veterans. Watch this video from a previous year’s tournament:
Lastly, as summer winds down, we’ll host our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Fall Classic August 29-31 for men’s/women’s doubles and mixed doubles. But that’s not the end of the tennis tournaments for the year! Fall revs up with more USTA South Carolina championships and the David M. Carmines Memorial Tennis Championship. There’s never a bad time to play tennis at Palmetto Dunes!
Go ahead and book your stay with us now if you’re planning to participate in or watch an upcoming tennis tournament. That will ensure you get the Hilton Head vacation villa that’s just right for your group and have all the activities you’d like to do, like golf, kayaking, bike rentals and more, all set for your visit.
Give us a call at 866-650-4130 to book your activities and your stay!
One of the best parts of Palmetto Dunes? Its beauty! And the best way to show that off, besides being here in person, is through photography. That’s why we decided that Pinterest is a great fit for our resort – it allows us to share our beautiful library of photos, which we add to daily, with the crowds that are gathering on Pinterest every day.
After a long dreary winter, it’s a great escape to hop on Pinterest and view pic after pic of warm weather locales, ocean views, sunsets, beach vistas and more. Of course, we’ve loaded plenty of those up for you on our Beach at Palmetto Dunes board on Pinterest.
Are you a tennis fan? Then you’ll “love” our Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center board with all things tennis, including quotes, videos, articles and more.
Be sure to join in all the fun we’re having on Pinterest! Follow our profile and your favorite boards to stay close to the beach all year long.
When playing a doubles opponent who often lobs the ball, it can be frustrating due to minimal offensive threats and impatience might cause unforced errors. Many times the losing team does not have a good enough offense to overcome the defensive “lobbers.”
There are some tactics to try if you run up against these types of teams. When you get an overhead, don’t try to pound it through them. Attempt softer, shorter angles to move them out of position and force them react to the different pace of the ball. Make sure you are playing overheads when balls are high and volleys if they are low. Too many teams attempt overheads when the ball is not high and they should be playing a volley, which is more accurate.
Not every overhead is meant to be a put away. Mix in a variety of angles and spin. Missed overheads are the number one reason people lose to teams that lob well. Use a drop shot to return a serve or on shorter shots. Hitting deep, powerful shots feeds the frenzy of more lobs. When you do get a volley, try to use more drop or touch around the net, when possible. Hard, firm volleys invite a better lob.
Whenever possible, play to the weaker player or lobber which will frustrate the stronger team member. Try playing your team’s best overhead player, if right-handed, in the ad court or, if lefty, in the deuce court. Anything up the middle will play into that player’s smash return.
When serving, move your partner further from the net to take away the lob return. Lobbing teams love to do so off the serve. You may choose to play a designed poach off the serve so the server is already covering for their partner, if the return of serve lob is causing problems.
Lastly, don’t take it for granted you are a superior team. These teams are tough to beat. Don’t put too much pressure on yourselves to end points quickly.
TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinicsweekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.