TripAdvisor recently released its 2014 Travelers Choice Awards, which ranked the United States’ best islands. Guess who came in at No. 9? Hilton Head Island! Says TripAdvisor of our beautiful island: “Long known as a golfer's paradise, Hilton Head Island is heaven for any type of sports enthusiast: tennis, volleyball, polo, championship golf on some of the best fairways in the United States.”
And even better, two of Palmetto Dunes’ attractions topped in at Nos. 4 and 5 as top Hilton Head attractions recommended by travelers. Users of the site voted Hilton Head Outfitters, the official bike shop and outfitters of Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, as the No. 4 out of 59 attractions reviewed on Hilton Head with more than 100 reviews. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center came in at No. 5 with nearly 70 reviews.
Here’s what a few TripAdvisor users had to say about Hilton Head Outfitters:
“We were staying in Palmetto Dunes and found that this place had the best selection, best prices and best customer service! For no charge, they even delivered all the bikes that we reserved (which we made all the reservations online) and picked them up the day that we left. It really helped us out since we had no way of transporting the bikes ourselves. If you are looking for a bike rental during your stay in Palmetto Dunes, look no further and go here…highly recommended!”
And about the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center:
“This is a great location for a tennis vacation. There are plenty of courts for play! The clay is well kept and the condition of these courts is far better than those at Kiawah Island Resort! The pro shop is well stocked with lots of great gear! The staff [is] warm and friendly.”
How are the winners selected? The Island winners are determined based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period. The attractions are ranked based on the number and quality of reviews.
It’s no surprise that several of our services ranked tops for users. In 2013, the resort, our golf courses, The Dunes House and Shelter Cove Marina all received a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor.
Come visit Hilton Head Island for yourself and stay at Palmetto Dunes to see what all the fuss is about! Just give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com. And if you had a positive experience at Palmetto Dunes, we really appreciate you sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor! Give us a review right here.
We love tennis here at Palmetto Dunes! With some 30,000 people coming through the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each year and only closing our doors one day a year – on Christmas – we’re serious about tennis.
World Tennis Day is coming up March 3, and is an initiative of the United States Tennis Association that supports their charitable arm, providing under-resourced youth and people with disabilities through tennis and educational programs. In celebration of this worldwide day of tennis, we thought we’d share with you 10 reasons why Palmetto Dunes is one of the world’s best tennis resorts.
Our Tennis Center has been recognized by Tennis Magazine as the top tennis resort in the Carolinas and one of the 50 greatest tennis resorts since 1975, as well as a top 10 tennis resort by TennisResortsOnline.com and as one of the top tennis resorts in the world by 10Best.com. Here’s 10 reasons why:
1) Depth and variety of programming -- During our busy season March-August, we host 43 adult tennis clinics and 27 junior clinics for all skill levels taught by 25 different tennis professionals every week! Choose from tennis lessons, clinics, cardio tennis, round robins, tournaments and more.
2) Variety of tennis courts – When you play tennis at Palmetto Dunes, choose from 23 clay courts and two Nova ProBounce courts. We also have six courts lighted for night play for those balmy summer evenings.
3) FREE tennis – All guests who book their Hilton Head vacation rentals through Palmetto Dunes receive two complimentary hours of tennis court time each day of their stay.
4) Year-round Tennis Tournaments – For 2014, we are hosting 15 different tennis tournaments February through November. Some are closed tournaments through the USTA, for which you need to qualify and be a USTA member, while others are open to all participants. Tournaments are always open for spectators.
5) Combine tennis AND vacation – Palmetto Dunes offers a number of great Hilton Head tennis packages that allow you to combine your vacation with your love of tennis. Enjoy all the amenities of the resort, including its 3 championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3 miles of beach, Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina, Hilton Head bike rentals, 11-mile inland lagoon and so much more.
6) Amazing Hilton Head tennis pro shop – With 1800 square feet of retail space, our tennis pro shop is the largest on the island, carrying a variety of lines and products, including racquets, shoes, accessories, sunglasses, as well as adult and junior apparel. A complimentary Demo Day is offered every Tuesday March–October where guests can try out all the latest equipment and ask pros their questions.
7) Our staff rocks - “It’s unusual for a tennis staff to have been together for so long,” says Jackie Reynecke, group coordinator of tennis for the resort. “We’re all tennis players at all different levels. Being together as a team, year in and year out, and knowing our guests who return year after year, gives us a special and unique ability to service them.”
8) We’re family friendly – The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers more than 25 junior tennis clinics weekly March through August, and we’ve even completed a shortening of our courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the USTA. We also offer adult and junior programs at the same time so the whole family can get tennis instruction at once.
9) We’re just plain fun - We have a daily adult round robin that makes for a fun social competition, as well as a Monday night exhibition March through October, with complimentary beer, wine, lemonade, door prizes and plenty of jokes from our Director of Tennis Instruction Brian Kiggans. Whether you’re joining a group tennis clinic or private lesson, the staff at Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center always makes sure “fun” is a top priority when you’re on their courts.
10) Our instruction is top notch – Twenty-five different tennis professionals, all with years of experience, lead instruction each week during the busy season. They are able to customize to each guests’ playing ability or set up a custom program for a group. Guests can also select up to 6 ½ hours of instructional programming a day, so they can play as much or as little as they want.
Did we convince you to come play tennis with us yet? Whether you’re a newbie to the sport or old pro, there’s something for everyone at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Come see why we keep winning award after award!
For information about scheduling tennis court time or to book a Hilton Head tennis getaway, please give us a call at 866-744-7558 or visit www.palmettodunes.com.
Last week, the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport celebrated in high style as JetBlue landed its first planes at the airport, making the area the latest addition to the airline’s routes. There will now be daily flights coming into and out of Hilton Head Island from New York’s JFK and Boston Logan airports, connecting from many other cities across the country.
The addition of the airline is good news for the Lowcountry, as it adds more options for vacationers coming to the island. Already, JetBlue plans to increase the capacity of the airplanes flying into the area by 50% due to high demand, and other airlines have also lowered costs and added flights and additional seats.
On February 13, the first flights flew into the Savannah-Hilton Head International airport and the area hosted a grand celebration. Local officials and guests enjoyed blue cocktails, visits with “Forrest Gump,” comments from company executives and more. Major media, including representatives from Travel + Leisure, Southern Living, New York Magazine and others flew in for the event. Take a look at our board on Pinterest chronicling the entire event.
The Savannah/Hilton Head area has invested in a marketing effort to lure Northeasterners ready for a warm weather getaway to the Lowcountry area, which includes advertising in major outlets, as well as billboards atop taxis in New York City noting “Hilton Head is in full ‘swing’.”
Palmetto Dunes has created a package for those looking for a great airfare rate to play world-class golf in the Lowcountry. The Blue and Greens package includes a $200 JetBlue gift card per person good toward airfare, as well as 4 days/3 nights in a resort view villa, 2 rounds of golf per person at our beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses, 3-day Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters and 2 hours of complementary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center.
We’re so excited to have JetBlue in town and hope you are, too! Be sure to check their rates before planning your next Hilton Head vacation to Palmetto Dunes.
Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to book the Blue and Greens package or for any other resort or Hilton Head vacation questions. Fly safe!
Several members of the Palmetto Dunes golf staff recently attended the 61st annual PGA Golf Show in Orlando to check out the latest and greatest in golf gear, apparel, accessories and services. More than 1,000 companies demonstrated their wares to some 41,000 people who attended from 80 different countries. Our team learned a lot and wanted to share their findings and favorites with all the golf lovers who visit Palmetto Dunes!
Doug Weaver, director of golf instruction at the resort, made the rounds at the show, interviewing many of the company reps on the details of their new equipment. He particularly spent time with Nike Golf on their shoes, drivers and balls.
The Lunar Control II shoe, which will be highlighted at this year’s Masters(no apostrophe) by Rory McIlroy, is known for being very lightweight while providing full support using the latest in Nike technology. More from Doug:
Doug also got up to speed on the new Nike Covert 2.0 driver, whose technology is designed to provide more stability, less resistance, straighter ball flights and faster ball speeds. Here is the full interview with Nike:
All of the Nike products from the show will be available at the Robert Trent Jones course pro shop, one of only six Nike Golf Concept Shops in the country.
While at the PGA Show, Doug logged over 30 hours of training with the inspirational Peter Jacobson! Classes focused on one plane and two plane swings, exercise, mental, junior golf and club fitting. Peter is a friend, Ryder Cup Player, Senior Tour Champion and TV commentator. At the age of 48, with his game falling apart, Peter took to a program that revived his game so much so that he became a Ryder Cup Player.
Get these and more tips from Doug with a private lesson, clinic or golf school at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy this spring!
Doug also caught up with the Golf Channel’s Michael Breed, host of “The Fix.” He and Doug were PGA tour players together and Doug encouraged Michael to go into modeling. He took Doug’s advice and later combined his love of golf with modeling to become a TV show host.
View all of our videos from the PGA Golf Show on our YouTube playlist and let us know if we can schedule a tee time for you at one of our three beautiful championship Hilton Head golf courses by calling 866-744-7558 or booking online.
This Hilton Head vacation rental is in a prime location with easy access to the beach, along with views of both a pool AND our beautiful 11-mile inland lagoon system. You won’t have to look far to realize you’re on vacation here!
Newly-renovated in 2012, 165 Mooring Buoy is a four-bedroom, four-bathroom home that can accommodate up to 12 overnight guests, so it’s perfect for a large family, an extended family or two families traveling together.
Walk up the dual front staircases into a large living room with hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, skylights, brand new furniture and classic Lowcountry plantation shutters. You’ll also find a 50-inch flat screen TV for the few moments you won’t want to be outside!
Off the living area is a den with a sleeper sofa, as well as a fully-equipped kitchen with stainless appliances and hardwoods along with a breakfast area where you can seat four. Eight more people can sit around the dining room table, and don’t miss the wine bar and cooler also off the living room where you can chill your favorite vintage and enjoy a glass as you gaze out at the peaceful lagoon.
Of the four bedrooms, two are downstairs, one offering a new King Jamison bed and Jacuzzi tub in the adjoining bath and the other with two new twin Jamison beds with adjoining bath. Upstairs are the third and fourth bedrooms, each with an adjoining bath, one with a king bed and the other with a queen bed.
You’ll get to fully enjoy the Carolina sunshine with the amazing outdoor features of this Hilton Head vacation home. There is a large deck around the pool with a Webber gas grill for family gatherings. An outdoor table sits four while the rest of the crew can relax on the new lounge chairs. There’s also a washer/dryer to keep you in clean swimsuits and private parking to boot.
Remember, with all Hilton Head vacation homes booked through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center each day of your stay. You also enjoy the best rates on all resort activities like our three championship golf courses, Hilton Head bike rentals, resort dining and more. Check out all of our amazing vacation packages or give us a call directly at 866-744-7558 and we’ll customize a stay just for your family.
Hope to see you at 165 Mooring Buoy soon!
Hilton Head Island is a romantic spot for any couple’s Valentine’s Day getaway. With beautiful beaches, the Atlantic Ocean and stately moss-draped live oak trees, the natural charm of our Southern island is simplistic romance at its very best.
But our destination offers more than just a beach retreat for couples; Palmetto Dunes gives you plenty of active adventures to enjoy together in the outdoors, as well as many options for dining and accommodations.
Here are 7 romantic ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day at Palmetto Dunes:
1) Take a tandem bike ride – Wait until sunset and then enjoy a beach bike ride together on one of our tandem bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters. Or traverse our more than 50 miles of paved bike paths across the island, exploring the beauty of Hilton Head.
2) Kayak through our peaceful lagoon – Our 11-mile inland lagoon system, which winds through our golf courses, offers a peaceful respite and a perfect opportunity to spend quality quiet time alone. Kayak together on a one-hour or two-hour ride, seeing plenty of birds and wildlife along the way.
3) Enjoy a picnic by the beach – Pack some yummy food from the Palmetto Dunes General Store and enjoy a romantic picnic by the water. Listen to the waves crash and enjoy the sea breeze. If you’re lucky, you might even catch sight of a dolphin or two.
4) Watch the sun set as you eat dinner – Head to one of several Hilton Head restaurants in Shelter Cove Harbour and enjoy your dinner as the sun sets over Broad Creek. Try ELA’s Blu Water Grille or Bistro 17 for starters.
5) Enjoy several nights in a luxury Hilton Head vacation home – We offer a range of Hilton Head vacation homes, small or large depending on what you desire. Choose from homes with pools, ocean views, patios and Jacuzzis for the ultimate in romance.
6) Take a dolphin or sunset dinner cruise – There’s plenty of romance to be had on the water. Shelter Cove Marina offers several sunset cruises, dolphin cruises to get up close with our native mammals, as well as nature cruises for bird-watching and more.
7) Play each other in tennis – With each night you stay in one of our Hilton Head vacation rentals, you receive two hours of complimentary tennis court time at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. Take on your significant other in a tennis match and polish your tennis skills together. Did we mention you’ll burn calories, too?! We hope you’ll consider spending your Valentine’s Day with us this year. We offer several romance packages designed for couples, including our Honeymooner’s Escape, Mini Moon and Anniversary Celebration. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to plan your Valentine’s Day getaway to Hilton Head Island.
Whether you’re rooting for the Broncos, the Seahawks or just want to watch the commercials, there’s no doubt that watching the Super Bowl at the beach is a win-win: football AND beautiful views. You can even make all those people freezing cold in New Jersey jealous!
We’ve planned several activities around this game of all games, including a fun golf tournament in the morning, as well as day-long specials on Super Bowl Sunday at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers and Pizza restaurant and a special golf deal the day after.
To start, we’ll host a Super Bowl Sunday Golf Tournament at the George Fazio golf course beginning at 9 a.m., because after all, you need something to do before the Big Game! In scramble format with a shotgun start, the tournament will offer multiple prizes and contests, as well as beer and snacks throughout the event. Sign up to play here by January 31.
Then when you’re ready to get into game mode, head over to Big Jim’s restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones golf course for a day full of Super Bowl specials while you watch the game on one of eight big screen TVs. Enjoy $2.50 Bud Light Pints, craft beers 2 for 1, and beer buckets starting at only $12. You’re going to need to eat too, of course, so fill up on our all-you-can-eat BBQ Buffet served from 5 p.m. through the third quarter.
If you’d prefer to take the party back to your Hilton Head vacation villa or home, we’ll have a variety of take-out specials from $25 and up, including a rib platter, wing platter, slider burger platter, BBQ Party Pack or Party Spread.
Finally, when it’s all said and done, whether your team won or lost, celebrate or drown your sorrows with a Hilton Head tee time at the George Fazio golf course on Monday, February 3. All you have to pay is the winning team’s score! Call 843-785-1138 to book your tee time and mention the Super Bowl Score Special.
If we can help you reserve the perfect Hilton Head vacation rental for your Super Bowl party, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Let us know in the comments which team you’re rooting for!
Already an owner at Palmetto Dunes or considering a primary or second home at our beautiful Hilton Head resort? Then, come enjoy our annual celebration of homeownership by celebrating the very best of the resort: the ocean, golf, tennis, biking and more. We invite you to the Owner/Guest Tournament Weekend Feb. 7-9.
What’s on tap for this weekend of fun? On Friday, enjoy tee times at all three of our championship South Carolina golf courses throughout the day. Each course offers a different playing experience and beautiful views to boot. Dunes Marketing Group will also host a tour of open houses of Hilton Head properties for sale within the resort. Be prepared, you just might fall in love!
A tennis round robin will take place from 3-5 p.m. at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, which has earned us the designation of top tennis resort in the Carolinas from Tennis Magazine, and then attend a complimentary reception and dinner with cash bar at Centre Court Pavilion.
On Saturday, we’ll host a special golf tournament for our owners and guests at the famed oceanfront Robert Trent Jones golf course. There will be a shotgun start at 9 a.m. with scramble format with tee gifts before and prizes afterward. After the tournament, enjoy a BBQ lunch buffet at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Jones Clubhouse and then head out on Dunes Marketing Group’s complimentary open house tour from 3-5 p.m.
On Sunday, enjoy your favorite activities. If you love tennis, head over for some time on one of our 25 Hilton Head tennis courts or, if you’re a golfer, enjoy one more Hilton Head tee time. Guests can also feel free to bike around the resort, enjoy local shopping, kayak or canoe our 11-mile inland lagoon or enjoy a dolphin cruise or fishing charter. We’re never short of something to do here at Palmetto Dunes!
Be sure to RSVP for this amazing offering by Feb. 1. Contact Ross Javornik at 843-686-9624 or by email at rjavornik@PalmettoDunes.com.
It may seem like Spring Break is far, far away, but the truth is that it will be here before you know it. There are some definite benefits for booking your spring break vacation right now to ensure when it does arrive, it’s just what you dreamed.
Here are 5 great reasons why you should book your Hilton Head Spring Break sooner rather than later:
1) Get the right Hilton Head vacation home – Beat everyone to the punch and pick the perfect vacation home or villa for your family or group before someone else does! By making your reservations now, you can ensure you get the right villa with the right number of bedrooms, the perfect view and all the features you want. Browse them here.
2) Book your activities – Spring Break is a popular time to visit Hilton Head, so we often sell out of Hilton Head bike rentals, kayak rentals, cruises and more. Reserve yours early before they’re all gone! There’s also plenty of activity options to choose from, including our three championship Hilton Head golf courses, the No. 1 tennis center in the Carolinas, 50 miles of paved bike paths and Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina for shopping and dining.
3) Get a deal on your flight – If you’ll be flying to see us, booking your flight early can help you save money. For example, JetBlue will begin flying into Hilton Head in time for Spring Break and they are offering some early bird deals for those who book in advance.
4) Save money! When you book your 2014 vacation with us now using promo code WARM, you can get 10% off select homes and villas and a 50% reduced deposit! You can save any time of year by booking Hilton Head golf tee times in advance as well.
5) Start dreaming – If you’ve already got your vacation planned and in the books, you can dream about it from now until the day arrives to hop in your car or hop a plane to Hilton Head. In the meantime, sneak a peek at our golf and beach webcams!
Are you planning a vacation to Hilton Head in 2014? When will you be visiting? To get started planning your trip, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
On first glance, it may not look like the sports of baseball or tennis have much in common with golf – aside from hitting a ball – but according to Palmetto Dunes’ Director of Golf Instruction Doug Weaver, the sports actually do have several things in common.
After attending an Atlanta Braves baseball game recently, Weaver noticed that the way a baseball player hits the ball with the bat is not so different than the impact of a golfer hitting a ball on the PGA tour.
In imitation of baseball players, he offers these tips to keep in mind for hitting a golf ball effectively:
Weaver also says that tennis players tend to make great golfers, because tennis players develop the same muscles stroking a forehand that are required for a proper golf swing. These are the oblique muscles, the same ones used for laughing and coughing.
Says Weaver, tennis superstar Rafael Nadal emphasized building his obliques to increase his racket speed. He also notes that other tennis greats who’ve pursued golf include Ivan Lendl, Leyton Hewitt and Stan Smith. Golfer Jack Nicklaus was also known for playing tennis and even built a tennis court in his backyard. Weaver has seen plenty of visitors to Palmetto Dunes play one sport in the morning and the other in the afternoon.
Says Weaver, “the bottom line is you’ll play better tennis if you play golf and vice versa.” So we invite golfers to give tennis a try and tennis players to give golf a try. In fact, wouldn’t that make a great New Year’s resolution?
Here at Palmetto Dunes, we have outstanding facilities for both, making it easy to enjoy both sports on your Hilton Head vacation. Let us know if we can help you select the right golf or tennis clinic to help you get started or if we can set you up with private lessons at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center or with Doug Weaver at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy.
It’s been a good year for this South Carolina beach resort! Palmetto Dunes not only received a number of high profile honors and accolades recognizing everything from our championship Hilton Head golf courses and tennis facilities to our family friendliness and outstanding staff, but we also started several new events that were a great success.
Here’s a quick look back at our star-studded 2013:
The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center was honored to host a number of high-profile state championships for the United States Tennis Association (USTA). In May, seniors from across South Carolina headed to Hilton Head to take home top honors in the USTA South Carolina 40 & Over Championships, formerly known as the Senior Championships. Then in October, we hosted the USTA South Carolina Combo Adult Championships. Our very own Jackie Reynecke, who helped coordinate these events, was also named the South Carolina League Volunteer of the Year for the USTA.
The Tennis Center was featured in the July issue of Tennis Magazine in a large spread about the resort and was recognized again by TennisResortsOnline.com as the No. 9 Top Tennis Resort in the world and No. 4 Top Junior Tennis programs in the world. Plus, the users of TripAdvisor named the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center the No. 1 attraction in Hilton Head.
Our golf courses are always wonderful to play with their varied attributes and amazing layouts, but they were especially regarded this year. The Arthur Hills golf course got a shout-out from Golf Digest magazine as a top Hilton Head course, in an article that also designated the island as a Best Buddies Trip Destination. PGA.com selected the famous oceanfront No. 10 hole at the Robert Trent Jones golf course a “South Carolina dream hole” and we couldn’t agree more!
We also launched a brand new golf app for the iPhone and Android, which now has thousands of users. Using your phone, you can check yardage information, book your tee time, set up leader boards and order food at our golf grilles so it’s hot and ready when you finish your round. Download it by searching for Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort on your favorite app store.
New Events at Shelter Cove Harbour
Several events made their debut at Shelter Cove Harbour this year to great acclaim. Taste on the Harbour kicked off in March. Due to the event’s success, we hosted the event again in October, offering featured menus, drink specials and tastings from Shelter Cove Harbour restaurants on select nights combined with live music from local island bands.
Additionally, Parrot Palooza joined our already very popular HarbourFest summertime event, which celebrated 25 years. Shannon Tanner and the Oyster Reefers, a Jimmy Buffet tribute band, entertained attendees on Friday evenings with island style music as they danced and sang the night away while the sun set over Broad Creek.
The finish off the year with a bang, Travel + Leisure magazine named Palmetto Dunes to its Top 25 World’s Best Family Getaways in its November issue. This made our resort the highest-ranking in South Carolina. The awards are based on a survey of the magazine’s readers. “Whether it’s reeling in a trophy redfish, learning how to properly swing a golf club or riding the waves on a surfboard, Palmetto Dunes has so much to offer families year round,” said Brad Marra, assistant vice president of resort operations for Palmetto Dunes.
What’s coming next year? More good things! Palmetto Dunes will be launching a brand new device-responsive website, using the latest online booking technology and designed for ease of use by our wonderful guests. For golfers, the Jones course will be adding new GPS-enabled touch screen systems for all golf carts, which offers course fly-overs, yardage, hole information and more. There’s so much more in store… you’ll just have to come visit us to see it all!
For more information about vacationing at Palmetto Dunes, visit us at www.palmettodunes.com or call us at 866-744-7558 to get started booking your spring or summer Hilton Head getaway.
Come December, January and February we see a lot of our friends from up north visit the island for a week, for a month or even for several months. We welcome them with open arms to give them the opportunity to soak up the warmth of a southern winter and enjoy the many fun and varied activities we have at the resort.
Here are the top 6 things we think Canadians and Northerners love most about Palmetto Dunes:
1) The Obvious: It’s Warmer - Here on Hilton Head Island, the average winter high temperatures stay in the 60’s, giving Canadians a break from the freezing temperatures and a chance to get outdoors and work off some of that northern chill on the golf course or biking. See average highs by month at Palmetto Dunes.
2) It’s Active – There’s no sitting around lounging in your Hilton Head vacation home here at Palmetto Dunes… unless that’s all you want to do. We give you plenty of options to keep you busy from two hours of free tennis court time with each night’s stay to three championship Hilton Head golf courses to choose from to Hilton Head bike rentals, kayaking and fishing. There’s no reason to ever use the word “bored” at Palmetto Dunes!
3) It’s Green – It’s so nice to see green when you’ve been staring at snow white for several weeks. Our golf courses offer rolling greens, and you can enjoy an exceptional pace of play during the off season to boot. Enjoy the palmetto trees (the Sabal palmetto is the South Carolina state tree) standing stately in the sun and on warmer days, see a variety of wildlife coming out to catch some rays.
4) It’s Fun – Canadians -- and all guests – will no doubt find themselves grinning as they stroll the beach, beat par and reel in a big red here at the resort. We offer so much to do and it’s all smile-inducing!
5) It’s on the Ocean – Who doesn’t love to listen to the waves crash, feel their toes in the sand and take a calming beach walk? There’s just something about coming to the ocean that melts all the stress (and snow!) away – anytime of year.
6) It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year – In addition to all the great things we mentioned above, it really is the most wonderful time of year and what better way to spend the holidays than at Palmetto Dunes! We offer a variety of packages to cater to anyone visiting with us, including our Monthly Stay and Sports Membership, Winter Escape Special, monthly golf and tennis memberships, bike rentals and more.
Are you ready to escape the snow and frigid cold? Come visit us this winter and get out of the big chill! Our temperatures, friendly faces and unlimited activities will warm you up in no time. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 to book your Hilton Head vacation today.
Let us help you with your holiday gift list this year with unique items from stores around Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Whether you’ve got a golfer, a tennis player, an outdoorsman or an ocean-lover on your holiday list, we’ve got the gift for them! Here are some of our top gift picks for 2013:
Golf Pro Shops
The golfer on your list will love this item from our Robert Trent Jones golf pro shop! The new Garmin Approach S4 GPS golf watch ($349.99) is the perfect idea for the golfer who has everything. This stylish, yet lightweight and comfortable watch uses hi-res touch screen technology and comes with a GPS receiver for precise yardage to the front, middle and back of the greens, plus layup and dogleg distances. There’s even a smart notification feature that lets you receive emails, texts and alerts from your iPhone (iPhone 4s and above models). The battery lasts up to 10 hours in GPS golf mode. Now, that’s a watch!
Be sure to use it while playing one of our three championship Hilton Head golf courses: the Robert Trent Jones golf course, the Arthur Hills golf course or the George Fazio golf course.
Tennis Pro Shop
At the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center pro shop, we can’t resist the cute Spin Winz! It’s a plastic circle that attaches to the end of your racquet to help decide who serves first when the racquet is spun. Instead of the boring “M or W” or “P or D,” your options include “Trophy or Wife,” “Social or Butterfly” and “Diamonds or Pearls” as examples.
For men, we have a variety of logo shirts, great deals on Prince tennis racquets and shoes from Asics, Adidas and K-Swiss. For women, we have Life is Tennis bags in both Tote and Sling styles in a variety of colorful patterns, and LBH tops in sleeveless and long sleeve in a rainbow of colors.
Hilton Head Outfitters
Grab a new Hilton Head hoodie or Hilton Head Outfitters long-sleeve T. These are great for cooler days and to remind you of your last vacation or upcoming vacation to the island. They are available in a variety of colors, including green, pink and blue.
The Ship’s Store at Shelter Cove Marina
Wouldn’t your loved one look great in a new pair of Costas? Or how about a new pair of Sperry Topsiders? The Ship’s Store offers a broad selection of Costa del Mar sunglasses, and when you buy any pair you get a $20 resort gift card (consider that a gift to youself!). The Ship’s Store has the largest selection of Sperry Topsider shoes on the island with more than 50 styles to choose from. They also carry Guy Harvey shirts, Sanuk sandals, Columbia Sportswear and Tervis tumblers.
The Palmetto Dunes General Store
While it would be nice if you could send your loved one a batch of cinnamon rolls freshly baked from the store, that may not be practical J. Instead choose from the General Store’s selection of coffee mugs, long sleeve T-shirts and sweatshirts. They also have some cute beach-themed ornaments, including Santa Claus with an alligator, a sea turtle and by a palm tree, as well as dolphins, sailboats and more.
Palmetto Dunes Gift Card
Not sure what to get the Hilton Head Island fans in your life? No worries! Just get them a Palmetto Dunes gift card redeemable at point of sale locations around the resort. These include Hilton Head accommodations, golf rounds and lessons, tennis court time and lessons, golf and tennis pro shops, Hilton Head Outfitters, the Ship’s Store at Shelter Cove Marina, Big Jim’s restaurant, the golf grilles and the Dunes House. The cards are now available with free shipping and overnight options … just in case you wait till the last minute.
Come visit our Hilton Head stores this holiday season and choose the perfect gift for the people on your list. Give us a call at 866-744-7558 if you’d like us to ship an item to you. Happy shopping!
Hosting a holiday party this season? We’ve got the perfect Hilton Head catering team to feed your crowd and wow them over with a delicious and festive holiday feast.
Heading up Palmetto Dunes Catering is Executive Chef Don Reinheardt, who was recently promoted from Catering Chef after joining the company in March. Chef Reinheardt has worked at luxury hotels, resorts and clubs throughout North America and the Caribbean for the last 20 years and served as an apprentice chef under Chef Waldo Brun at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort.
Also joining the team is Lindsay Thompson, the new Catering and Events Sales Manager. Lindsay, who previously worked for Starwood Hotels at the Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, will be in charge of planning the catering portion of your event.
Chef Reinheardt and his team of culinary experts can cook up a delicious Lowcountry holiday menu for you and your guests. Choose from a range of options – both casual and upscale -- including a Low Country Boil, barbeque, slider platters, she crab soup, crab cakes and fried green tomatoes.
You can also choose a buffet style-layout or plated dinners from a romantic dinner for two under the mistletoe to a rousing party of more than 200! We also deliver directly to your home, office or other venue for larger orders.
So let Palmetto Dunes Catering do the work this year so you can truly enjoy your Hilton Head party or family gathering. Call us at 866-650-4130 to place a holiday catering order or schedule an event while there’s still time!
Sure, a week is a great vacation to Hilton Head but a month is even better. Not that you needed any more reasons to visit us, but we’ve listed 5 of our top reasons to extend your stay at Palmetto Dunes to at least a month:
1) Play unlimited golf! What’s better than a round of golf? Unlimited rounds of golf! With our Monthly Golf Membership, you can play all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses as much as you want for an entire month. Choose between our oceanfront Robert Trent Jones course, the Arthur Hills course or the George Fazio course.
2) Ride your bike on all 50 miles of paved island paths. Did you know you could pedal 50 miles across our island? Spend more than a week and see if you can master it all! With monthly Hilton Head bike rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters, you’ll be set with any kind of bike you like, including their new comfort bike, cruisers, kids bikes and more.
3) Get to “love” tennis, if you don’t already. When you book your Hilton Head vacation rental through Palmetto Dunes, you get two hours of complimentary tennis court time daily at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center. The longer you stay, the more tennis you can play!
4) Kayak to your heart’s content! Palmetto Dunes is home to a beautiful and peaceful 11-mile saltwater inland lagoon system that winds throughout the resort and our golf courses. Get weekly kayak or canoe rentals from Hilton Head Outfitters to enjoy the peaceful beauty of the lagoon, or if you plan to stay several months, consider the affordable yearly membership. See how many birds you can spot in the lagoon during your stay and watch for other wildlife, as well, like a friendly otter who likes to splash around our lagoon.
5) Try lots of Hilton Head restaurants. Here on the island we offer wonderful dining from ethic foods to fresh seafood to gourmet meals with beautiful views. Some suggestions include Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones Clubhouse, the beachfront Dunes House (open seasonally to resort guests and property owners), Ela’s Blu Water Grille with harbour views at Shelter Cove Harbour and San Miguel’s Mexican restaurant, also at Shelter Cove.
If you want to do ALL these things on your visit to Palmetto Dunes, consider our Monthly Stay & Sports Membership. It gets you a 30-night stay in a Hilton Head resort villa, 30 days of unlimited golf and bike rentals, two 2-hour kayak rentals and two hours of tennis court time daily, plus plenty of time to walk on the beach.
For more information about any of these memberships or packages, please give us a call at 866-744-7558.
We’d like to wine and dine you at a special event coming up at Palmetto Dunes for wine lovers. From 6-9 p.m. on Friday, November 15, we’ll be hosting a Fall Wine and Dine with wine tastings, hors d’oeuvres and wines available for purchase at the Centre Court Pavilion, 20 Carnoustie Road, inside the resort.
At the event, we’ll feature more than 20 different wines around the world for tasting. Each wine will be professionally poured and we’ll have information regarding each selection. Take time to sniff and sip each one to find your favorites. Some of the wines we’ll feature include Chalk Hill Sonoma Chardonnay, Roth Alexander Valley Sauvignon Blanc, Simi Russian River Pinot Noir, Peirano Immortal Zin, Bishop's Peak Chard, Gerard Bertrand Cremant de Limoux and Lyric Pinot Noir by Etude.
To accompany each wine, our catering team has created a special hors doeuvres menu. We’ll have a variety of hors d’oeuvres stations featuring delicious dishes and cheeses. Choose from pan-seared diver scallops with jalapeno-creamed corn; stuffed beef Wellington with black truffle demi glace, roasted asparagus and pancetta; artisan cheeses with charcuterie and pickled vegetables; sweet chili-glazed baby back ribs and white cheddar mac ‘n cheese; and fall vegetable salads, seasonal vegetables and young greens in an aged sherry vinaigrette. You won’t leave hungry!
If you like what you taste, let us cater your next gathering, bringing all the flavors of the season to your home or office this holiday.
Once you’ve honed in on your top wines, we’ll have them available for purchase at wholesale prices. This is a great chance to stock up on your favorites and buy some holiday and host/hostess gifts, as well.
The event is $50/person and reservations are required by Tuesday, November 12. Please call 843-686-9136 to reserve your spot.
Please join us for this fun social event at Palmetto Dunes. For information about accommodations at the resort, please visit our Hilton Head vacation rental listings, browse our Hilton Head vacation packages or give us a call at 866-744-7558.
Dunes House or Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Robert Trent Jones course to have your full Thanksgiving dinner – with all the trimmings – prepared for you, no dishwashing required!
If this sounds like a Thanksgiving dream come true, think about heading to Palmetto Dunes this Turkey Day. Reserve one of our beautiful vacation homes or villas for your immediate or extended family. Many of our luxury Hilton Head vacation homes have 5 and 6 bedrooms to make sure everyone has plenty of space, but can still gather round the TV for football or large dining table should you decide to stay in and order from our Gourmet Thanksgiving To-Go.
You’ll have several options for Thanksgiving dinner if you spend the holiday with us. The oceanfront Dunes House will be hosting their annual Thanksgiving Buffet from 11 a.m-5 p.m. on Thursday, November 28. Choose from a variety of starters, sides, entrees and desserts. Does Crab Stuffed Salmon or Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potatoes tickle your fancy? How about Pumpkin Pie or Pecan Pie for dessert? They’ll also have the traditional roast turkey, as well as classic Turkey Day sides like green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes with gravy.
Seating is limited for this popular buffet, so reserve early by calling 843-686-9136. Reservations required. The all-you-can-eat buffet is $29.95/person and $14.95 for kids 12 and younger.
Another choice is a plated Thanksgiving dinner at Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza restaurant at the Jones course from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Enjoy a golf course view and stuff yourself full of oyster corn chowder, roast turkey, cranberry sauce, mac & cheese, collard greens, pumpkin or pecan pie and more. The dinner is $18.95/person or $9.95 for kids 12 and younger. Reservations are recommended by calling 843-686-9136.
If you’d like to have Thanksgiving dinner in the privacy of your own Hilton Head vacation villa or home, you can order a gourmet dinner to-go from Big Jim’s. Your dinner to-go includes roast turkey and top round of beef, choice of three sides, and pumpkin or pecan pie for dessert. You’ll need to order by November 24 at 5 p.m. and then pick it up fresh and warm on November 28 starting at 11 a.m. The to-go gourmet dinner is $15/person with a minimum two-person order. You can also just order a whole roast turkey for $35. Call 843-686-9136 to order.
View the complete Thanksgiving Day menus for each restaurant.
Once you’ve had your fill of delicious food, you’ll be fueled and ready for a day of shopping on Black Friday. Head to Shelter Cove Harbour to see Santa on Friday, November 29, when he arrives at noon. Target Band will perform 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., and the Harbour shops will feature special sales.
Not shopping? Enjoy a round of golf on one of our three courses or enjoy a tennis lesson or clinic. We have endless activities during the holidays at Palmetto Dunes for you and your family!
To book your Thanksgiving accommodations, dinner and activities at Palmetto Dunes, give us a call at 866-744-7558. Happy Turkey Day!
Flying to see us soon? You’ll be happy to know you have yet another way to get to Hilton Head Island quickly and inexpensively. JetBlue recently announced it will add service to the Savannah/Hilton Head International (SAV) airport, its 50th destination, with flights from New York’s JFK and Boston’s Logan airports. The Savannah/Hilton Head International airport is just a few exits down I-95 from the Hilton Head Island exit, making it a convenient and easy way to get to the island.
Beginning Feb. 13, 2014, there will be two daily round-trip flights to JFK and one daily round-trip from Boston. From these airports, you can connect to other destinations, such as Denver, Los Angeles, Albuquerque and San Francisco.
They’re currently offering special $89 one-way fares for travel between Feb. 13-April 10, 2014, so we highly recommend booking your Hilton Head spring break airfare now! To book flights and check rates, visit www.jetblue.com.
Regarding the Boston flights, JetBlue’s vice president of network planning Scott Laurence says, "Bostonians work hard, and they need more great places to get away. Savannah/Hilton Head is an easy weekend getaway or vacation, and priced right so our customers can get away more often." We couldn’t agree more! Now, you’ve got one more reason to come and enjoy all that Hilton Head Island and Palmetto Dunes has to offer from tennis and golf to biking and the beautiful Atlantic Ocean.
JetBlue carries 29 million customers a year to 79 cities in the U.S., Caribbean and Latin America with more than 700 daily flights. On JetBlue, all seats are assigned, all fares are one-way, and an overnight stay is not required. Your first checked bag is also free on JetBlue, and they offer a range of amenities like free DirectTV, free SiriusXM Radio and satellite WIFI.
Would you consider JetBlue for your next flight into Hilton Head?
Be sure to check out our Fall Escape Special with three FREE nights when you book four nights, plus free daily tennis and discounts on golf, bike rentals and more. Good for bookings through Oct. 31, 2013.
Families know what a wonderful place Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is for all ages and once again the resort has been recognized for its family-friendly atmosphere. The readers of Travel + Leisure magazine ranked the resort No. 23 in their list of World’s Best Family Resort Getaways in the November issue on newsstands now. Palmetto Dunes was the highest ranking South Carolina resort on the list.
“We see the joy in families’ faces as they experience all the fun activities we have to offer here at Palmetto Dunes, so we are incredibly pleased that the readers of Travel + Leisure have ranked us as one of their favorite family resorts in the world,” says Brad Marra, assistant vice president of resort operations for Greenwood Communities and Resorts, the owner of Palmetto Dunes. “Whether it’s reeling in a trophy redfish, learning how to properly swing a golf club or riding the waves on a surfboard, Palmetto Dunes has so much to offer families year round.”
What makes Palmetto Dunes such an ideal getaway for families? Well, let us give you a few reasons…
1) Junior Golf - Kids can learn to play golf at one of the resort’s three championship golf courses through the Little Swingers program for ages 4-7. The Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy also offers a variety of junior instructional programs for ages 6-18, and families can learn the sport of golf together as part of Family Golf School. Additionally, kids younger than 10 play golf free after 4 p.m. when accompanied by a parent paying regular rate at all three courses. The Robert Trent Jones course also offers permanent junior tees, and the George Fazio course has markings of 150 yards or less.
2) Junior Tennis - The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center offers shortened tennis courts for players 10 and younger per new regulations from the U.S. Tennis Association. They have 27 junior tennis programs each week between March and Labor Day and during holidays. Popular clinics include the Short Shots Clinic, which combines tennis fun with motor skills development for ages 4 and 5, and the Super Shots Clinic, which incorporates in-depth instruction on each stroke with fun activities for ages 5 through 8.
3) Unlimited Activities – Kids can learn to fish or crab with Hilton Head Outfitters, enjoy our summertime Surf School, rent and ride bikes around the resort’s 5 miles of paved paths, attend HarbourFest at Shelter Cove Harbour during the summer months for fireworks and kid-friendly performer Shannon Tanner and more.
4) Family-Friendly Dining - Big Jim’s BBQ, Burgers & Pizza at the Robert Trent Jones golf course and the oceanfront Dunes House, open to resort guests and property owners, both welcome children and offer specials kids menus.
5) Top-notch accommodations - Families can choose to stay at one of the many homes and villas located within the resort during their Hilton Head vacation. We have a vacation rental program and offer a variety of options from 1-bedroom villas to 6-bedroom homes for multi-family travel. We also offer special packages designed just for families that include the best of the resort’s activities.
Additionally, families who book through the resort enjoy special discounts on resort activities, including two hours of free tennis court time daily.
Thanks to the readers of Travel + Leisure for voting for our resort. We hope to see your family for generations to come! For more information about the resort or to book an upcoming vacation, give us a call at 866-744-7558.
League volunteer, Jackie Reynecke of Hilton Head Island, has been a local league coordinator for more than seven years. She also volunteers while serving as president of the Tennis Association of Hilton Head Island.
“We are so fortunate to have such people and organizations dedicated to promoting and developing tennis,” said Graham Cox, executive director of the USTA South Carolina. "Their accomplishments proudly contribute to our tennis history, yet their true achievement can be seen through the people and communities impacted by their passion and service."
The awards will be handed out at the USTA SC’s Awards Luncheon, held this year on December 7 during the organization’s annual conference at the Wild Dunes Resort at the Isle of Palms.
Jackie’s full-time job as Tournament Director at the Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center has been hugely beneficial to help bring recognition to the tennis center and sought-after tournaments to the Hilton Head resort. The Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center is ranked “#1 tennis resort in the Carolinas” by Tennis Magazine and “#5 in the world overall” by Tennis Resorts Online. Locally, the tennis center was named “2013 Best Racquet Club” by the Island Packet.
USTA Website: http://www.southcarolina.usta.com/Universal_Pages/league_volunteer_of_the_year/
Amateur golfers from across the United States will converge on Hilton Head Island this weekend for the Golfweek Amateur Tour National Championship.
Beginning Friday, October 18 and continuing through Sunday, October 20, more than 800 golfers will hit the greens at nine different Hilton Head golf courses, including our own Robert Trent Jones course and Arthur Hills golf course, trying to take top honors.
This is the eighth year the tournament has been held in Hilton Head, and organizers say it’s set to become the largest competitive stroke-play event ever held on the island.
The field for this national championship is drawn for golfers at more than 700 qualifying tournaments in 30 states across the U.S. The best from each of five flights are then selected to compete in the nationals. Winners of the flights receive more than $19,500 in gift certificates.
"We expect another competitive tournament throughout all five flights. Golfers are grinding throughout the season to earn enough points to qualify for the National Championship," says Tour President Dennis McCormac. “The National Championship is a big event both for our tour members and their families. It's really evolved into a family event over the last decade with more and more spectators coming out each year to show their support for these dedicated players.”
Golfers will be playing at both of our courses all weekend and you can check out the Robert Trent Jones webcam to watch them tee off starting at 8:30 a.m. each day.
We welcome all the golfers and their families to Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort! Be sure to take advantage of our many other activities, including tennis, bike rentals, kayaking, fishing and more. For more information on activities and accommodations, call us at 866-744-7558.
95-year-old Leo Luken, a longtime player at the Hilton Head golf courses at Palmetto Dunes, where he lives, recently reached that feat for an incredible 1000th time. On Tuesday, September 24, Luken shot 47-45 for 92 at the George Fazio golf course.
Leo’s golf career, which didn’t begin until he was 45, first shot his age at 71. Luken participated in the Shoot Your Age Championship in Florida 2005, which aired nationally on CBS, shooting his age for the 530th time and bettering his age by six shots. He ended up winning the tournament, besting even Arnold Palmer. He’s been going at it ever since and we are proud that he completed his goal right here on Hilton Head Island.
Read more about Leo Luken’s special accomplishment that has been receiving a great amount of national and local golf coverage:
USA Today: A 95-year-old golfer shoots his age or better for 1000th time
Golf Channel Morning Drive: Morning Drive Leo Luken
Golf Channel: Man shoots age or better for 1000th time
“The Golf Fix” on Golf Channel: Golf Fix Leo Luken
The Golf Wire: Leo Luken Story
Golf Center on WHHI Sports: Leo Luken Interview
Interested in trying to follow in Leo’s footsteps or just playing our three championship courses? Submit a quick golf quote and we will follow up with you on a great golf package or go ahead and book online and take advantage of our online book-in-advance tee time special!
Palmetto Dunes Resort's award-winning tennis center hosted the Banana Open Tennis Tournament this past weekend (October 4 - 6, 2013) opening it's doors to two-hundred forty-three players starting play on Friday morning.
"One of the most popular tournaments at Palmetto Dunes during the year, this year was especially great!" says Jackie Reynecke, tournament director.
View a full list of the results from this tournament here.
Learn more about this tournament and hear from the players in the The Island Packet: Championships dished out at Banana Open tennis finals
Want to play in an upcoming tournament? View the full tennis tournament schedule here. The next tournament coming up is the 19th Annual Wild Wing Café "Nutty Buddy" Tennis Classic, November 1-3, 2013. See you there!
If you’ve ever played our Hilton Head golf courses, then you know just how gorgeous they are with their lush greens, live oaks around every corner and even views of the Atlantic on the Robert Trent Jones course. But have you ever seen our courses from above? We doubt it!
We’ve created new 3-D animated “flyovers” of each of our South Carolina golf courses to give you a bird’s eye view before you hit the greens. Simply go to the individual web page for each course listed below and click on the link to view the flyover.
Once you’re on the flyover, choose which hole you’ve like to soar above and get ready to fly! Each view shows you par for the hole, as well as the distance from each of the tees. Pause at any point to take a more detailed look.
Watching these flyovers is helpful for golfers, because it shows you all in one glance the obstacles you’ll face at each hole and allows you to formulate a plan of how to get there.
Don’t forget to check out our Hilton Head webcam at the Robert Trent Jones course, as well, to see real-time, on-the-ground action at the golf course. Both of these options are great ways to be “on the course” even when you’re stuck at your desk.
Be sure to browse some of our amazing fall golf packages that let you play golf at all three of our championship courses, improve your game at our Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy and enjoy other activities like fishing and biking.
Let us know what you think of the new flyovers and we hope to see you teeing off soon!
Once again this fall, Thursdays at Shelter Cove Harbour mean live music, beautiful sunsets and lots of food and drink! The Music on the Harbour concert series, which brought big crowds to the popular shopping and dining village overlooking Broad Creek last fall and earlier this spring, will return in October for four Thursdays.
From 6-9 p.m., October 3, 10, 17 and 24, local bands will take the stage at Shelter Cove. Get out your dancing shoes and dance the night away as the sun sets behind you over Broad Creek. The Headliners will perform October 3 & 17, while Target Band will entertain on October 10 & 24.
While there’s always plenty of dining available at Shelter Cove Harbour when you’re ready for dinner, a new addition this fall is Taste on the Harbour which will run at the same time as the concert series. Shelter Cove restaurants will provide small plates of food by Neptune Statue for a sampling of what they have to offer. There will also be drink specials, including $3 beers, $4 wines and $5 cocktails.
The event is entirely free to attend, though it is weather dependent. Stay tuned to the Palmetto Dunes Facebook page and Twitter account for updates and cancellations. Additionally, no coolers or outside food are allowed at the event.
Here’s a video of last fall’s Music on the Harbour event to give you a sneak peak of the fun you can expect:
See you at Shelter Cove this fall!
Shooting your age is a coveted accomplishment for any golfer, because it not only means you’ve lived a relatively long life, but that you’re still a pretty good golfer. Leo Luken, 95, a longtime player at the Hilton Head golf courses at Palmetto Dunes, where he lives, recently reached that feat for an incredible 1000th time. On Tuesday, September 24, Luken shot 47-45 for 92 at the George Fazio golf course.
Luken didn’t start playing golf until the age of 45 and shot his age for the first time at 71. He plays golf several times a week and usually shoots his age – or better – two out of three rounds. Formerly a pitcher for the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Zollner Pistons, he holds a spot in the Kentucky and Indiana sports halls of fame.
Luken participated in the Shoot Your Age Championship in Florida 2005, which aired nationally on CBS, shooting his age for the 530th time and bettering his age by six shots. He ended up winning the tournament, besting even Arnold Palmer.
“Yeah, [one of the players] thought I was lying,” says Luken. “Before we teed off the first day down at the championship, he was walking around introducing himself and asking guys how many times they’d shot their age. One guy said 12, and another said 30. When he got to me, I said, ‘529,’ which was the number at that time. [He] threw up arms and said, ‘Get outta here.’ The next day I made it 530 and won the tournament.”
Have you ever shot your age? Do you think you could do it 1000 times? Here’s hoping you can, just like Leo Luken!
If you want to give it a shot, our 30-day Hilton Head golf membership is a good place to start. It gives you plenty of chances to hit the mark!
Who wouldn’t want to call the beauty that is Hilton Head Island “home”? If you’ve ever pondered moving to the island or buying a second home here, we’ve got the perfect opportunity for you to explore your options!
Our new Real Estate Discovery Package gives you not only a fabulous vacation to Hilton Head, but tours of our current listings at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. We’ll also educate you about second home options and the benefits of rental income with the help of Dunes Marketing Group. They’ll explain how existing owners make a strong weekly rental income in addition to having their very own “home away from home” when they visit.
The Real Estate Discovery Package includes 10-15% off select home and villa rentals within the resort for as many nights as you’d like to stay, member rates on all three of our championship Hilton Head golf courses, two free hours of tennis court time daily at the award-winning Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center and all the best rates on resort activities.
While you’re visiting, you’ll “live” like a property owner with access to the beachfront Dunes House restaurant and member discounts. Part-time residents also take advantage of our monthly golf memberships and sports memberships, as well as weekly, monthly and annual rentals and memberships for bikes, kayaks and canoes from Hilton Head Outfitters.
For more information about our Real Estate Discovery Package, simply request a quote here.
Search our available listings right now to start envisioning your dream home! We hope to have you as a neighbor soon here at Palmetto Dunes!
Summer is coming to a close, but that’s no reason to deny your buddies more rounds of golf! Text them now and make plans for long weekend to Hilton Head Island for golf, football, fishing and good times. We’ve got 5 good reasons why:
1) The weather is usually awesome! Average highs on Hilton Head Island in September and October range from the mid 70’s to the mid 80’s. While we can’t promise sunny skies every day, they are the norm during the autumn season. Just think… no sweat, and a nice ocean breeze!
2) Get a FREE round when you book by September 15 – Book a group of 12 or more and stay a minimum 3 nights and get a fourth round of golf FREE, plus free replays as available! More golf is never a bad thing… Here are the details.
3) Get three varied experiences – Here at Palmetto Dunes, a top South Carolina golf resort, we offer three different championship golf courses with varied challenges, views and experiences.
4) Play golf by the ocean – Our Robert Trent Jones golf course is one of only two Hilton Head golf courses with oceanfront holes. Tackle our famed par-5 10th hole right on the Atlantic and see if you can beat the ocean breeze to come under par. If you don’t, the view will make up for it!
5) Tell everyone you rode on a Segway – Make golfing with the guys even more fun by ditching the golf cart and hopping on a Segway. Enjoy a laugh as your friends – and you – learn how to balance this amazing piece of technology.
There, did we convince you?! Submit your request for a quote right here or call us directly at 866-744-7558. Let the competition begin!
Lots of things heat up in the fall here in Hilton Head, like fishing, golf and also tennis! We host five Hilton Head tennis tournaments in October and November alone at our nationally-lauded Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center, featured this summer in “Tennis Magazine” and named the No. 1 Tennis Resort in the Carolinas. Join us as a spectator or a participant this fall for some great tennis court action.
Kicking off the season is the 29th annual Palmetto Dunes Resort Banana Open Challenge October 4-6 for singles, doubles and mixed doubles. Play on our clay courts and enjoy a Saturday night player party with dinner, a cash bar and door prizes, as well as a player gift and continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Sign up to play.
The next two tennis tournaments are open to spectators only. They are USTA championship tournaments. October 11-13 will be the On-Campus Fall Invitational and October 17-21 will play host to the South Carolina Combo Adult and 55 & Over Championships. Come to Hilton Head Island and cheer on your favorite player!
Beginning November is the 19th Annual Wild Wing Café “Nutty Buddy” Tennis Class November 1-3 for mixed doubles and men’s/women’s doubles. Then, finishing off a great year of tennis will be the David M. Carmines Memorial Tennis Championship, benefiting the David M. Carmines Foundation, which provides funds to a variety of nonprofits in the area. Download your entry form.
Take a look at our complete tennis tournament schedule.
Do you love playing tennis in the fall? Visit the island for all of these great tournaments, enjoy special sales at our Hilton Head tennis pro shop during each tournament and take advantage of our many Hilton Head tennis packages. They include the Tennis Stay & Play Package, the Extreme Tennis Vacation and others. Plus, everyone gets two free hours of tennis daily for each night of accommodations you book through Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort. Call us at 866-744-7558 to book your autumn getaway.
See you on the courts this fall!